• Published 10th Oct 2012
  • 726 Views, 6 Comments

Responsibilities - pyrobug0



Celestia struggles to fulfil her royal duties amongst her grief over Luna's fate.

  • ...
0
 6
 726

Chapter 4

The shadowy mass slammed into Celestia, launching her into the air. A flap of her wings steadied her course, and she landed deftly on her hooves. Her body ached from the impact, but she quickly shook it away as she looked back at her attacker. A jet black pony stood where she had been. The creature was the same size and build as she was, with a long horn on her head and grand wings that stood outstretched in martial readiness. The creature’s mane and tail were twin seas of shimmering darkness that billowed freely into the air. Celestia felt the air catch in her lungs as she observed the figure, and realized that Nobility’s helmet rested atop her head. She wore Luna’s shoes and necklace, but they had been warped and twisted into menacing travesties of themselves. The figure’s eyes glistened with malice, and her mouth curled into a wicked sneer.

“What’s wrong, Celestia? Surprised to see me fighting back? Did you expect me to simply roll over and surrender my crown when I learned the truth? Or did you simply think me too weak to ever be able to challenge you?”

“Luna?” Celestia whispered. The air in her lungs felt like ice. Her mind reeled and screamed as she observed the monstrosity her sister had become. The black alicorn chuckled disdainfully.

“No. Luna is gone. She was weak - submissive. Always bowing to your wishes and following your lead, even when it would lead her to her own downfall. No, I accept that weakness no longer. I have embraced the dark magic of the night that you always feared, and it has made me strong. It has given me the power to face you, to stand above you. I have become a bringer of true darkness, the herald of the night’s eternal splendor and terror. I am Nightmare Moon. My night has risen!”

With a howl of laughter, Nightmare Moon’s mane swirled once more into a vortex of darkness, rising high above her head. Lightning flashed from the storm, released by the sheer volume of magical energy it contained. Still laughing madly, the dark mare lowered her head and stamped her hoof against the ground, and her horn began to glow with a sickening dark energy. With a sadistic shout, she charged forward toward Celestia.

Celestia lowered her own head, forcing the panic and fear from her mind, and trying to silence the voice that continued to scream in the back of her head.

‘This is wrong!’

Her own horn began to glow with the radiant warmth of the sun. Stamping her hoof against the ground, she threw herself towards Nightmare Moon. Her heart pounded as she narrowed the gap with her opponent. The clatter of their hooves striking the ground sounded like a thousand ponies charging into battle. Celestia saw the hatred in Nightmare Moon’s eyes flare as she anticipated the strike. The distance disappeared, and the two mares clashed. The opposition of the two powerful mares was like a storm of terrible power. The impact shook the entire castle, causing the stone walls and pillars to crack. Their magic swirled around them, striking at each other like enraged animals. The sheer power of Nightmare Moon’s magic caught Celestia unaware, and she was quickly hurled backwards. Nightmare pressed the advantage and charged again. Recovering quickly, Celestia steadied herself and rose to meet the mare’s charge, now prepared for the immensity of her power. She brought all of her own magic to bear, and the two met with a flurry of magic that put the previous clash to shame.

The two locked horns as their magic did battle around them. Celestia grimaced from the effort, but Nightmare Moon only grinned wider, and finally began to laugh.

“That’s it,” she goaded softly. Finally, the two separated, leaping backwards. The fallout of the clash erupted outwards, shattering the windows of the throne room. Taking the initiative, Celestia charged again. Nightmare Moon’s insane grin grew as they clashed and glanced off each other with a terrible crash. They struck at each other, charging again and again. Each time their immense powers clashed, they threatened to bring down the entire room.

“That’s it!” Nightmare Moon cried, charging forward into Celestia’s assault and locking horns with her once more. “This is the way it was always meant to be! You and me, fighting for absolute rule of Equestria. It’s what you’ve always wanted - your chance to take what’s mine. But I won’t let you. I’ll take everything from you. Come, sun bringer. Fight me. On your ground, by your terms, I will defeat you. Let me have my victory!”

Nightmare Moon released a wave magical energy that sent Celestia flying backwards. Caught off guard, she fell bodily to the floor. Nightmare Moon charged again, her magical aura writhing around her. Celestia’s horn glowed as she fired beams of searing light towards her opponent, forcing the dark mare from her path. With another surge, she tore a segment of a nearby column free and hurled it at Nightmare Moon. Nightmare retreated, granting Celestia time to reach her feet. She panted heavily as she stared down the night mare. She could feel her magic beginning to tire, but Nightmare Moon showed no signs of slowing. The dark powers the night had bestowed upon her were great, indeed. At the current pace, she wasn’t certain she could prevail. She needed more power - enough to counter Nightmare Moon. The Elements of Harmony were her only hope. She steadied herself, forcing her mind to focus on the image of the chamber in which the Elements were stored. As her horn began to glow, Nightmare Moon reared, and lightning crashed behind her.

“Let me have my kingdom!” She charged Celestia again. With a final burst of energy, Celestia cast her spell. As Nightmare Moon leaped towards her, a field of magic surrounded them both, and the world flashed to white.

==============================

The doors of the throne room flew open. Through them walked a tall unicorn stallion with a dark grey coat and a black mane. He walked with an air of intrinsic authority, in contrast with the reverent submission shown by most of the ponies who entered Celestia’s court. His violet eyes focused on Celestia as he approached, offering no regard to any of the other ponies around him. His face was was the stony scowl of one who feels his precious time is being wasted. By Celestia’s side, Silver appeared to be resisting the urge to shirk her duties and excuse herself from the throne room. In actuality, Celestia knew she’d rather leave the castle entirely.

A skinny brown earth pony scampered past the grey stallion and towards Decree’s position. The court herald retrieved his scroll and unfurled it as if to announce the new visitor, but paid it no actual mind, instead looking at the galloping newcomer with expectant annoyance. The small pony skidded to a halt beside Decree, hastily retrieving a scroll of his own and unrolling it with his hooves.

“Presenting the Honourable Sir Noctus Crest,” the pony announced, still somewhat short of breath, “son of Boreus Crest, grandson of Solarus Crest, and esteemed patriarch of House Crest, faithful servants of the princess of the night, and appointed stewards of the nocturnal domain of Equestria.” The impromptu herald finished with a gasp, rolled up his scroll, and bowed deeply to the stallion. Decree closed his own scroll with a not-so-subtle roll of his eyes. Celestia was afraid Silver’s teeth were about to crack from how hard she was grinding them.

The stallion came to a halt in front of the throne and bowed to Celestia. The princess offered as much of a smile as she could manage.

“Hello, Noctus. What can I do for you?” The grey pony raised his head and met Celestia’s gaze, his stony visage unchanging.

“Princess Celestia, I humbly request answers for my family’s grievances. Why have you not transferred authority of the Night Guard to our control?”

“I was not aware that I was to do so.”

“Please do not trouble yourself with plays at ignorance, Your Highness. Are the Crests not the stewards of the night?”

“Yes, you are...”

“Then why have you denied us the right that you and Princess Luna, yourselves, appointed us?”

“I have done no such thing, Noctus. Command of the Night Guard belongs to the princess of the night.”

“The princess of the night has fallen. Her authority now passes to us.”

“As I informed you and your family members in response to your numerous petitions, I have assumed Luna’s duties, including sovereignty of the night and command of the Guard.”

“Your Highness, this is our duty. It is our right. Why do you deny us?”

“Noctus, please understand. Right now the entire kingdom is in a state of unrest. I must ensure that the affairs of the kingdom continue as they always have.”

“Princess, has my house not served the royal family dutifully since the fall of Discord?” Noctus demanded. His tone was growing more impatient.

“Yes, nearly without exception.”

“Then do you not trust us with carrying out this task - the task you specifically appointed us for?” Noctus stomped a hoof to emphasize his point.

“Even between trustworthy allies, one’s intent can be misinterpreted. Even though your family may intend to follow my orders, your actions may end up differing from what I wish - from what must happen. I’m sorry, Noctus, there is too much at stake right now. I need to attend to this personally.”

“If you want to reassure the citizens, then you must give them order. They must see that, even though their princess has betrayed them, the laws and institutes of Equestria remain ever standing for them to lean against. Only the established order can bring comfort to the panicked masses.”

“Luna was the established order, Noctus. There was no contingency for... for the permanent removal of a ruling princess. The future is left to my discretion now. And it is my discretion that the governing and protection of the night must remain consolidated at this time.”

“How can you expect to restore peace to the night if the citizens cannot look to the noble houses for strength? This is a disruption of our sacred rites. It will not be allowed to stand!”

“Mind your words, Noctus,” Celestia’s tone took on an icy edge. “They can be misinterpreted as easily as mine.” The room grew silent in the wake of her warning. Noctus glanced hastily around the room, for the first time acknowledging the presence of ponies other than Celestia. Tension had mounted among the court members as Noctus’ demands persisted, and they now regarded him with anxiousness, or even barely withheld disdain. The guard ponies were especially on edge, and had inched forward from their regular posts as if to separate the princess from her visitor, or charge him at a moment’s notice. Under the stares of the armed guards, Noctus’ bluster deflated slightly. He turned his attention back to Celestia with forced humility.

“Princess, I only mean that I fear for how Equestria’s citizenry may respond to your decision. The Crests have long served as the stewards of the night. We are a beacon of tradition to the ponies of Equestria, in a domain that many do not understand. And after Nightmare Moon’s vicious attack, they’re fearful. They may see this move as alarmingly unconventional.”

“If my subjects are disturbed by my assuming Luna’s responsibilities, I will act as needed to ensure their well being. Until then, however, I must act as I feel is appropriate.”

“And do you know that they will voice their concerns so calmly, Your Highness? Are you certain that they will ask you to step aside, and let the established order have its way? Will they trust you to? What if all they see is another usurper - another tyrant trying to trap them underhoof?”

“Do you believe the citizens of Equestria would be so quick to condemn my character? Do they believe me to be some aspiring despot?”

“It doesn’t matter what they believe of you, Princess. They are frightened, and in their panic the mob will cry anything to give an outlet to their fear. If they even remotely believe you may give rise to another Nightmare Moon... I shudder to think of what they might do. How can you trust your reign to minds as fickle as those, and not to us?”

Celestia closed her eyes and exhaled. Silver had been right: dealing with Noctus was quickly taking a toll on her energy. She needed this to end.

“You’re wrong, Noctus.” she said firmly, opening her eyes. Her next words didn’t come easily, but she felt a growing need to say them. “The ponies of Equestria are good and reasonable. If their faith in me falters, it is because I have not fulfilled my duties. If I do what is right, they will not turn against me.”

“Princess, you can’t...”

“That’s enough.” Silver Platter’s interruption elicited a jolt of surprise from everypony in the room, including Celestia. She was standing, staring down Noctus coldly. “Your princess has given you her decision, Sir Crest, and your continued requests that she change it are growing worryingly insolent.”

Noctus recovered from his shock quickly. A cruel gleam flashed through his eyes, before he turned back to Celestia.

“And this, Your Highness! It is this that will put everypony on edge. When you surround yourselves with leftover conspirators like these, the citizens can’t help but wonder what you intend to do. If you wish to establish strength and security in your new order, you must show them who is truly in charge. You must show them who they can trust, and that no conniving cast offs of the fallen princess are left corrupting the throne.”

“Noctus, what are you talking about?” Celestia asked. “I don’t follow.”

“There’s nothing to follow,” Silver said with growing agitation. “This has descended into conspiracy. I think you’ve occupied enough of the Princess’ time tonight, Crest, and your own. Please see yourself out before you’re escorted out.”

“Are you trying to interfere with my advice, Miss Platter? Are you trying to subvert my counsel to the throne? You should be cautious, your true colors are showing.”

“As are yours! You come here waving hypothetical coups and babbling about ‘new orders’. Did you think this would be your opportunity? With Luna gone you could finally make a bid for your power?”

"Do not mock my intentions, servant. Once Celestia has discarded you and the rest of Luna’s wretched reign, she will need ponies she can trust to see to it that her will is carried out.”

The impact of his words left everyone stunned.

“Discard... my sister’s reign?”

“You bastard,” Silver was nearly snarling.

“The ponies of Equestria will never again accept Luna as their princess,” Noctus said matter of factly, as if surprised he had to explain it. “She is a criminal, a conquering enemy. They will not feel safe while traces of her reign linger. You must know this, Princess. Surely you had intended to dissolve her throne and assume sole authority of Equestria.”

“No... No, I never intended... I stopped her because I had to. But I never meant to replace her. I couldn’t!”

“Princess, I know you are still hurt by Princess Luna’s betrayal. It was such a terrible revelation. We are all still struggling to recover. But that’s why you must do what you can to help everypony in that struggle. Grant my house the dominion of the night...”

“So you can hold power over the night for yourself? Is that your idea of recovery?”

“I am trying to restore the nighttime to glory. I will give the ponies of this city a new guard, with a new face - one they can put their faith in.”

“You would undo her entire reign?” Silver spoke softly through clenched teeth. “Do away with everything she ever was?!”

“Of course I would! Luna has shown her true self. There can be no redemption for her.”

“Enough!” Silver screamed. “Guards, remove this stallion at once!” Two unicorn guards leapt forwards, spears brandished at Noctus. Purple energy emanated from their horns, surrounding the stallion in a sphere of magic. With looks of vindictive satisfaction, they began pushing the sphere towards the exit.

“What are you doing?!” Noctus demanded.

“Luna never trusted you, Noctus,” Silver glowered at him, all pretenses of courtesy and subordination thoroughly abandoned, “and she was right not to. You are greedy, and remorseless. You care only for your own desires. I won’t allow you to turn Luna’s trusted soldiers into your own personal terror brigade.”

“Stop this!” Noctus shouted at the guards who were moving him backwards. “By the power of the House of Crest, I order you to stand down immediately!”

The guards came to a halt, but didn’t lower the magical field. Torn between allegiances, they looked back to Celestia for their orders. The princess remained dazed by Noctus’ words, barely seeming to register the situation around her. Taking advantage of his captors’ confusion, Noctus focused his own magic. A flash of his aura expanded and shattered his prison. He dashed through the magic shards of the dying spell and past the stunned guards. He raced to the foot of her throne.

“Do you see, Princess?” he said, pointing an accusing hoof at Silver. “Even now, the remnants of Luna’s court cling to the one who betrayed us. Ponies like them prevent us from moving forward. Luna’s reign is a poison that still taints our night. But you can change that. Put an end to this nightmare.”

Noctus’ voice echoed in the silence that followed. Celestia continued to starte into the space between them as her thoughts struggled with each other. Finally, Noctus grew impatient.

“Your Highness!”

The stallion’s sharp voice brought Celestia back to the present. She remained silent for a moment. Finally, she turned her gaze to Noctus.

“No,” she said. “No I won’t.”

“Why do you relent now? You’ve already come so far.”

“No!” Celestia’s felt her voice waver as she spoke. “Everything I’ve done was to keep Equestria safe. But I would never supplant my sister’s rule.”

“You have your answer, Crest,” Silver said, “Now leave at once.”

“Celestia, your compassion blinds you. Your sister’s throne was only ever meant to impede you. It was a hindrance to what you could accomplish for everyone.”

“You’re wrong! I value my sister’s sovereignty. I always have.”

“Noctus, get out!”

“The vestiges of Nightmare Moon still haunt your kingdom. Only your absolute reign can give the citizens of Equestria hope. They need this.”

“I can’t. I haven’t the right. My reign is no more righteous, I don’t believe that!”

“You do have the right. It is your duty, and the duty of House Crest to take up the mantel of the night. My queen, we are...”

“I AM NOT YOUR QUEEN!”

Celestia’s cry seemed to ring from every corner of the room, shaking the walls as though intent on tearing them down. Ponies around the room instinctively fled from its ferocity, diving for cover as if the sound itself would tear them apart. Noctus dropped to his belly, his eyes wide with the terror of a victim trapped before death itself. Even Silver recoiled from Celestia’s side, shrinking to the ground as she looked fearfully at her princess. The alicorn stood, wings outstretched, eyes blazing orange and mane flaring like a raging inferno. Her face contorted as much in agony and desperation as in rage.

Finally, the echoes of Celestia’s outcry subsided, and silence rang through the room. Her mane and eyes lost their frenzy and faded to normal, then continued to fade, both becoming dimmer than they had been all night. Her wings curled meekly to her sides. She kept her gaze fixed on Noctus, who was still trembling on the floor. She spoke softly.

“I am only a princess. No more than any other.” She walked past the prone stallion and toward the far end of the room, her half-closed eyes fixed on the door. Around her, everyone remained frozen, huddled or recoiled in lingering fright, barely daring to breathe. They watched her go, no one attempting to speak or approach her. She could feel her eyes burning, and she willed them to be dry as she fought the urge to gallop from the room. Ahead of her, a din of hoofsteps and clanking armor arose. As it reached its peak, a group of guards, clad in indigo armor, burst into the room. The foremost stallion quickly took stock of the room, turning to Celestia.

“Princess, are you alright?” He rushed to meet her. “What’s going...” Celestia pushed past him without a glance. She passed through the group of soldiers, who looked to her in confusion, but still parted to let her through. Without a glance back, she pushed open the room’s doors with her magic before the guards could, and walked through, letting them close behind her.

The slamming of the grand doors finally shook Silver from her shock. Silently cursing at her self, she leaped from the dais and raced after the princess. As she approached the guards, the leader who had tried to speak to Celestia turned to her.

“Silver, what...” he began.

“Orion,” Silver interrupted him, slowing her pace, “all court is adjourned until further notice. We won’t be taking any more visitors or petitioners. Inform the guards that the princess is not to be disturbed by anyone except me or Ether Shine.”

Confusion lingered on the stallion’s face for only an instant before it was replaced by stern conviction.

“Understood, ma’am,” he answered, snapping off a salute.

“And have Sir Crest removed from the castle grounds immediately,” she called back as she resumed running. “He doesn’t want to be here when I get back.” She dashed through the double doors as the room guards pulled them open, leaving the affairs of the throne room in Orion’s hooves. She sprinted down the stairs.

At the foot of the staircase she finally caught sight of Celestia, far down the hallway. She continued to sprint, calling after the princess, until she’d caught up with her. Celestia stopped walking, and Silver came to a halt several feet behind her. Silver’s breathing was heavy, but she stood silently at attention. Celestia didn’t turn to face her. The princess took a long breath, trying to steady her nerves, willing her voice not to break. It didn’t work.

“Silver, please tell everyone court is adjourned for the night. They’re all excused. No more visitors.”

“It’s already done, Princess.”

“Thank you.” She began to walk away.

“Princess...” Silver called her. Celestia didn’t break her stride.

“I’m retiring to my quarters. See to your duties, then you’re excused.”

“Princess, please wait...” but Celestia’s magic had already surrounded her, and an instant later it winked away, leaving Silver alone in the hallway.

==============================

Celestia materialized in front of her bedroom, causing the guards to almost jump in surprise. They looked at her in confusion, but quickly opened the doors to her room. She walked through without acknowledging either of them, and they closed behind her. Inside, she finally felt her emotions boiling over. Her magic tore her crown and necklace off, throwing them somewhere into the dark room. She collapsed onto the bed, and the last of her composure left her. She didn’t have the energy to hold back her tears. She sobbed into the bed as exhaustion took her, and the darkness of sleep smothered her racing thoughts.