• Published 10th Oct 2012
  • 726 Views, 6 Comments

Responsibilities - pyrobug0



Celestia struggles to fulfil her royal duties amongst her grief over Luna's fate.

  • ...
0
 6
 726

Chapter 2

The royal palace held two mirror-image throne rooms, the room in the northern tower being Celestia’s throne. The room was far longer than it was wide, almost a hallway itself, with the princess’ seat at the far end. Grand pillars supported the stone ceiling, which was lavishly painted to match the ornate carpet that ran from the entrance to the throne. The regality of the room’s ornate chandeliers, banners, and armor stands was complimented by the massive windows carved out of the stone walls.

Celestia hated those windows right now. She wanted nothing more than to order them covered by curtains, or sheets. She’d take picnic blankets if they would just be hidden. But she couldn’t. It wouldn’t be proper protocol to give such an order. So the windows remained open, and through them she was forced to see the night outside. It wasn’t the night sky she’d lived the last five hundred years under. It was her own sky, a pale imitation of her sister’s art. She’d tried her best to bring it majesty and wonder like Luna had, but night after night she had failed. It just felt empty. Every pony thought so. She’d heard enough them whispering when they thought she wasn’t around or couldn’t hear to know as much. Her night sky was only a reminder of what had been lost three months ago – a daily memorial she was forced to drape over the entire world.

“Princess?” Silver’s voice returned her to the present. She turned to see her attendant watching her, concern heavy on her face. Celestia’s own expression must have made her thoughts evident, but the earth pony didn’t press the issue. She only asked, “Are you ready to begin?”

Celestia looked around her court. Her guards stood alert. The court servants sat behind the throne, awaiting her orders. Decree, her court herald was at his post off to the side of the throne. Celestia looked around at her staff, then back at Silver Platter, and finally straightened her composure and set her gaze regally at the far end of the room. She nodded to Silver, who turned towards the far end of the room.

“The princess will hear her subjects, now. You may proceed.”

The two unicorn guards by the door saluted and seized the handles of the massive doors with their magic, slowly prying them open. The court trumpeters played their fanfare as the assembled ponies filed in through the door in a line. Celestia looked over the crowd as they approached. She recognized some ponies: guard lieutenants and captains, representatives of noble houses, and the like. She wasn’t particularly fond of any of them, but the familiarity was an odd comfort. The line traversed half the room and stopped. Decree cleared his throat.

“Hear ye, hear ye,” he addressed the gathered visitors, “night court is now in session. Her majesty, Princess Celestia, presiding. All who would seek an audience with the Princess should approach to have their voices heard.” In one motion, the assembled ponies bowed to Celestia. Celestia waited a moment, studying the group. She still caught herself being surprised that the entire group fit inside the room. Trying as it was, night court was far less populous than her day court. Luna had probably had the same realization.

“Proceed,” she announced, signaling her subjects to lift their heads. Decree read from his scroll.

“Presenting Mr. Sky Rise, Lead Project Manager of the Royal City Relocation Project.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow in surprise as a sturdy brown pegasus stallion marched forward. She was familiar with Sky Rise. He was a fast flyer, and so was regularly able to attend her court and report on the progress of the new royal city’s construction without leaving his post for long. However, his business always concerned diurnal matters, and his presence at the night court was most unusual. Celestia turned to Silver Platter for clarification.

“Mr. Rise wishes to discuss the time tables for the Relocation Project,” Silver read from her notes. “He says he has ‘a couple of suggestions’ with regard to the schedule.

“But at night?”

“He didn’t elaborate.” The earth pony shrugged. “Maybe he’d like to recruit some night shift workers?”

Sky Rise stopped at the foot of the dais and knelt.

“Sky Rise reportin’, Princess,” he offered. Despite his strict adherence to protocol, the gruffness of his voice gave his greeting a casual feeling. Celestia couldn’t help but smile slightly. Sky Rise was one of the few ponies she didn’t mind seeing. She almost enjoyed his company, in fact. There were worse ways for the night to begin.

“Hello, Sky Rise,” she said, and the pegasus lifted his head to meet her gaze. “How is the project proceeding?”

“Oh, not too badly, yer Highness. Morale’s good - the boys are eager to work. ‘N fact, I think they’re interested in the challenge. Awful ambitions of ya, buildin’ a castle into the side of a mountain. I’d say you got everyone wantin’ to see it be done now.”

“I’m glad,” Celestia said with a smile. “And everything’s on schedule, then?”

“Well,” Sky Rise paused for a moment, “that’s sorta what I wanted to see ya about, yer Highness. We’re all doin’ our best, but it still takes time. All the gusto in the world will only make a pony work so fast. And what with our estimates bein’ so... unprecedented, we have been slidin’ into a bit of a hole. It ain’t bad now, but I’m worried it’ll get worse.”

Celestia nodded understandingly.

“Do you have a proposal, then?”

“Yes, yer Highness. Me and the boys have been talking about doin’ extra shifts. Like I said, ponies are eager enough. We already got enough volunteers, and we’ve even talked about bringin’ on some more workers specifically for the late shift. Ya know, just so no one tries to work too tired.”

“That sounds like a fine idea, Sky Rise. You have my approval. Do you need my help in making the arrangements?”

“Well, yes and no, yer Highness. We don’t need staff or nothin’. We got enough ponies, and we can find more on our own if we need ‘em. Problem is, a pony needs light to see what they’re buildin’. And there’s only so much light in a day, if ya catch my drift.”

“What are you suggesting, then?” Celestia’s eyes narrowed involuntarily.

“Well...” Sky Rise’s eyes shifted guiltily to the side. Finally, he mustered his courage and said, “Maybe you could see about makin’ the day a bit longer?”

“Then you wish for me to shorten the night?” She struggled to maintain her patience. Under any circumstances, such a suggestion could be considered radical. But especially considering everything that had happened, everything she was struggling with, this was the last suggestion she wanted to hear right now.

“Just a bit,” Sky Rise said hurriedly. “I know if we had a few more hours we could get back on schedule, probably even ahead of it.”

“And I suppose you were hoping I would put this new time table into effect with the coming morning? That is why you made arrangements to see me as soon as possible, correct?”

He didn’t give an answer. Celestia closed her eyes and sighed slowly. Sky Rise watched her nervously as she thought. Finally, Celestia opened her eyes and addressed the pegasus with controlled patience.

“I understand your position, Sky Rise, and your frustrations. However, what you’re proposing would disrupt a critical balance. It would be a difficult task, even dangerous. I’m afraid I can’t acquiesce so simply.”

“But Princess, please think about it. I know we can...”

“Sky Rise, please,” Celestia appealed to him. “Do your best, and keep your workers strong. I’ll bear your idea in mind, and I’ll seriously consider it if necessary. But that’s all I can promise you for now.”

Sky Rise hesitated for a moment, as if debating whether or not to plead his case further. He thought better of it, and only bowed instead.

“Thank you, Princess. Good night.” He turned and departed for the exit. Celestia watched his retreating back for a moment, the denial of his request weighing on her. She quickly shook her head, resisting the urge to retreat into her own thoughts. She turned her attention to Silver, as she typically did after hearing a petition. The mare looked back at her curiously.

“What he was suggesting,” Silver asked, “can it even be done? Can you alter the schedule of the sun and the moon?”

“Not easily,” Celestia admitted, “but yes, technically speaking. The sun will not set until I make it. If I choose, the day will last much longer. ...Even forever.”

Silver looked away, and Celestia saw her try to suppress a shudder.

“Would you consider implementing his plan, then?” the earth pony asked without looking back. Celestia could see the turmoil in her eyes, but Silver didn’t let her demeanor slip. She never did. She always maintained her station, and deferred her opinions to the princess’. She offered support, not advice. That was her role.

“As I said, if there is a great need, I will consider it. Otherwise... the difficulty would be great.”

“Extra hours of sunlight,” Silver considered, taking mental notes. “That would mean higher temperatures, less consumption of candles and oil, more hours of operation for farming, fewer hours of activity for nocturnal creatures...”

“It means a shorter night.”

“Yes,” Silver agreed slowly. “Shortened. ...Lessened.” She was silent for a moment, staring into the floor. Finally, she resumed her professional demeanor. “I’ll notify the relevant ministries of the possibility and ask them to gauge its feasibility, but not to implement it yet.”

“Thank you, Silver, that will be fine.” Celestia turned to the court herald. “Bring forth the next petitioner, please.”

Decree bowed lightly and read from his scroll.

“Presenting Captain Watch Tower of the Royal City Night Guard.” A well built earth stallion marched forward, garbed in the armor of the Night Guard. The plated metal armor that covered his head and back was similar to that worn by her Day Guard, but colored a deep midnight. The purple cat’s eye badge of the Guard shown proudly from his chest.

“The captain’s here for his weekly report,” Silver Platter told Celestia what she already knew.

“Are there any out of control crime sprees I need to be briefed on,” Celestia asked Silver jokingly. The princess typically didn’t read every Guard captain’s report, but if there was anything noteworthy happening, she would have heard about it by now. Silver, on the other hoof, did read every report. It was a point of pride to her.

“No princess. Everything has been quiet lately.” There was only the faintest hint of tension in her answer, as though she was anxious about something unsaid. Celestia didn’t ask. She waited for Watch Tower to reach the foot of her dais and bow.

“Good evening, Captain. How are your patrols doing?”

“Everything is well enough, ma’am,” he responded. “No major incidents to report. Crime rates are low all across the city, and arrests and detainments are down as well. All districts seem peaceful.”

“I’m glad to hear it,” Celestia smiled. “In your professional opinion, why do you believe this is?”

“Yes, Your Highness. The new recruits are really coming into their own, and our patrols have successfully cracked down on a number of criminals and miscreant groups in the past few months. However, I would also attribute this to a decrease in the active nighttime population.” Celestia’s smile faded.

“A decrease in population?” Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Silver fidget - or as close as Silver came to fidgeting.

“So to speak, ma’am. We...” Watch Tower faltered for only a moment, then continued, “My officers unanimously report fewer ponies, law-abiding or otherwise, on the streets during our patrol hours. It’s been that way ever since the Nightmare incident.”

“And why are they staying inside?”

“From what we can gather, many residents are still nervous about Nightmare Moon. There are even rumors going around that she might still return. Ponies are on edge. And, to be honest, Your Highness, I doubt the... visage on the moon’s surface is helping.”

“They’re afraid of the night...” Celestia said softly, mostly to herself. She closed her eyes as her repressed thoughts crept back to the forefront of her mind. “Thank you, Captain, that will be all,” she said without looking at him. “Tell your ponies to keep up the good work, and good hunting.” Watch Tower bowed and departed. Celestia opened her eyes and glanced at Silver Platter. “You knew about this?” she asked.

“Yes, Princess,” Silver admitted. “The captain specified as much in his report. I... I didn’t feel it was worth bringing to your attention on top of everything else.”

“Not worth bringing to my attention? You didn’t think this was worth mentioning?”

“Princesss, ponies always get scared after a catastrophic event. They’ll avoid anything the perceive as the source of the danger. They’ll alter their behavior. And then soon enough they’ll move on, and things will go back to normal. It’s too temporary a change to be worth...”

“Did you think I wouldn’t be able to handle this?”

“No! Princess, please, I wasn’t trying to hide this from you. I just...” Silver grasped for words. Finding none, she finally hung her head. “You’re right, Your Highness, I should have informed you of the reports. I’m sorry.”

Celestia closed her eyes again, forcing herself to be calm, to avoid saying anything she’d regret.

“What do you think about it, Silver?”

“I don’t think anything, Your Highness. Like I said, it’s temporary. I don’t see a point in thinking anything.”

Celestia tried to concede her point. Opening her eyes, she tried to focus on the petitioners before her. Still, Watch Tower’s report haunted her, and the phrase kept repeating in her mind.

“They’re afraid of the night.”

==============================

“No.” Celestia felt her world shudder as Luna spoke. She wasn’t arguing. There was no pleading, no discomfort or uncertainty. It was a refusal. A plain and simple refusal to uphold the cycle of balance that they’d maintained for hundreds of years. Celestia’s mind began to scream.

‘This is wrong!’

“What... what do you mean, ‘no’?” Celestia finally managed to ask. “Luna, the sun must rise. What are you trying to do?”

“I’m doing what I should have done long ago, sister. I’m bringing my wonderful night to the ungrateful foals who shun its beauty. I’m reclaiming my glory as princess of Equestria, as princess of the night! And I’m freeing myself of you, and your machinations.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Do you hate my night so much, Celestia? Are you so jealous of its beauty that you must make everyone cower beneath it?”

“No! Luna, I love your night. I would never...”

“Then why do you wish to imprison that tyrant on my moon? Why would you have him taint my night?”

“Luna, Discord must be dealt with.” Celestia’s voice grew stern. “The disturbance last week nearly breached his imprisonment. If he were to escape, it would mean disaster for Equestria. We can’t let that happen.”

“You could do anything with him. Imprison him in the sun, if you’re so afraid of him.”

“We discussed this. It just isn’t feasible to imprison him in the sun. It’s too far and too large. Enchanting the entire sun to contain him is...”

“It wasn’t a discussion. You decided it for yourself. You made your excuses, but I see through them. You wanted it this way. You want ponies to look upon my beautiful moon and remember the terror of his reign, to speak in hushed fear of the monster that still haunts their stories and their nightmares. You want everyone to fear that my night will allow his escape. You want them to run to you, to bow down at your hooves and seek safety in the shelter of your daylight, just as they always do. My night won’t be disgraced for the sake of your power!”

“Luna, what you’re saying is nonsense.” Celestia was losing patience, and she didn’t bother to hide it. “I wanted to imprison Discord within the sun, but I simply don’t have the power...”

“You could have found the power. You could have used mine. You could have gathered every unicorn in the city, in the country. Why didn’t you even try...”

“Because he’s my responsibility!” Celestia bellowed. “He threatens my subjects with his chaos. I must protect them. Wherever he is imprisoned, the enchantment holding him there will constantly draw magical energy from whoever casts it. I won’t let that burden fall to anyone else. It’s mine to bear.”

Luna didn’t answer. She stared at Celestia, and for the first time that night, her face showed something between sadness and bitter loathing. When she spoke, her voice was quiet, and filled with resignation.

“You too, Tia?”

Celestia didn’t understand. She didn’t want to waste time trying.

“This has gone far enough. The sun has to rise. Lower the moon. After that, we can talk about everything that’s bothering you.”

“I don’t think so, sister.” As Luna spoke, the darkness creeping across Nobility’s helmet solidified, taking on a deep indigo color. Luna’s eyes and horn began to glow with a sickly green magical aura as she rose from her throne. Shadows crept across her body, spreading like dark vines. When she spoke, her voice echoed eerily, as if two ponies were speaking.

“I know what you’re trying to do. You’ll play the negotiator until my night has set, and then you’ll shut me down. You’ll keep your sun raised high, and nopony will ever see me or my night again. Not that they’ll care. No one will miss me. No one will ask what became of the darkness. All my power will be yours, and everyone will happily worship you as the queen you’ve always wanted to be.”

“Luna, this is paranoia! You can’t...”

“I won’t let it happen, sister. I won’t let you take my throne, and I won’t let you destroy my night. I have control now, and my night will have the recognition it deserves. Everypony will learn to love my darkness, when it’s all they ever see! From this moment forth, the night shall last forever!”

The darkness that had been covering Luna leaped up and swirled around her in an ethereal vortex. Celestia could only see the faint silhouette of Luna’s form against the maelstrom of darkness. A horrible cackle of laughter rang out over the din. Celestia could only watch as the silhouette charged forward, green eyes glowing maliciously from its head. Celestia instinctively braced for the strike.