• Published 11th Oct 2012
  • 1,895 Views, 208 Comments

Arc Angel - Valorousspectre



Adventure, Power, Corruption, Grim sort of thing, Not a paradise

  • ...
12
 208
 1,895

Now, the crux of the matter.

My everything hurts. Like, majorly hurts. My head is swimming and I can't feel my nose... Oh right, it was broken wasn't it? Ugh, silly me. When I wake up it's dark, and I look to the left, straight into the aggressive, accusing eyes of Nightspring. I scrambled away, terrified until I remembered I had her immobilised. The haft of Belladonna prevented her torso from moving, and the blocks at her shoulder stopped her from going upwards across the ground, and she couldn't go the opposite or any other way thanks to the shackles at her hind hooves. I'll admit, apart from the powerful pang of guilt that overwhelmed me at that moment, I was pretty proud of myself. I'd managed to stop her from killing me, AND do it without seriously injuring her. I hope. I'm not actually sure how much damage my air displacement spell actually did. And it's cold. With a groan I managed to pull myself up to a sitting position. It took a lot more than I thought, and it hurt quite a bit. With a sigh I looked back at my prize. I suppose I can call her that at the moment. If it wasn't for the really peeved look on her face, She'd be adorable on her back like that. Her hooves were on her chest, trapped under the haft of Belladonna, and the straps on her armour are in tatters. Probably the effects of the explosion she went through. Air displacement might not be flashy and it may not be pretty, but it works. Her mask had come off at some point, probably while we were fighting, and her mouth was curved into a frown. I looked at her for a long time....

.....

"Would you stop looking at me like that!?" I demanded of her, getting sick of her look. She looked away, her face still disgruntled. Actually, that's a lie. It's not disgruntled, but I don't know how else to describe it. I sighed again and looked down at my broken nose. Better set that straight again before it heals all weird. This is going to hurt. I reach up with both hooves and set them gently on either side of my nose, clench my eyes and...

OW! FUCK! IT NEVER TOLD ME HOW PAINFUL IT WAS IN BOOKS, OWOWOWOWOW!

"Pansy," I hear from beside me. I look at Nightspring again with a frown. She still refused to look at me. It hurts that she looks at me such animosity, let alone that she refuses to look at me. For a long moment, I simply stare at her, then tiring of this and finding the pain of her refusal to even look at me too great, I stand up and leave. I need to find some firewood. As I walk, I can feel her gaze boring into my back, but when I turn back to look at her, she'd already looked away. As I search for wood for the upcoming fire, I try to figure out why on Equestria she of all ponies would come after me. The first thing that leaped to mind was that she knew me, she knew how I worked and she's the pony I'd most likely listen to. But if that was the case, why send her out first instead of keeping her as a reserve? I'm not THAT crafty, and I'm fairly predictable, as much as I loathe to admit it. It sounds like she had orders straight from the captain as well. Dead or alive...

It's like they've turned all this into a bounty hunt. But the fact of the matter is, Bounty hunts are illegal in Equestria. Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it? Thing is, if the royal guard can't handle it, it generally means the pony in question has fled the country. And if that's into neighbouring territory, it's almost guaranteed to be allied territory, which means they'd be apprehended the moment they were recognized and given back to our ruling body just as we do for them. Although most times it's griffons we end up delivering to their government rather than Zebras or Kirin.

Oh, Kirin? The Kirin are a sub strain of unicorn, or so I've read. They evolved from the same ancestors and they have powerful magic of their own. In fact, if one is to believe ancient accords that date back thousands of years, there was once a Kirin that was the element of magic. The Kirin are governed by their Monarch in the Somerset Glades to the south of Equestria. The endless plains of Zebrica lie to the west, the brutally dangerous land of the dragons to the East, and the Griffa lies far to the north. Not as North as the uninhabited Godsreach Mountains, and slightly to the east of that, but it's there all the same. They're long legged, slender bodied equines with a special affinity for the forests and woods that they call home, even speaking to them occasionally. Equestria is on excellent speaking terms with the Kirin and there's rumours around the castle of Celestia's fondness for the current monarch, King uh... King uh... Dammit, what's his name? Ugh, whatever. There's rumours around the castle, mostly from the maids, that Her Majesty and His Majesty are very, very fond of each other. To be honest, I think it'd do Celestia a world of good to settle down with somepony. Maybe the stress of running a kingdom wouldn't have to be so difficult to bear if she had somepony to be with.

Either way, it's none of my business. As it is, my back is getting speared by half a dozen or more points from all of these sticks and branches I'm carrying, so I guess I can head back now. Making my way back was more of a chore, since I'd forgotten to set a track spell, so it took me a few minutes more than I wanted. As expected, Spring was still in her spot, although closer inspection showed she was shivering. I considered moving her for a moment before rejecting the idea. Moving her would be a bad idea, since she could escape while I'm doing it and kill me very, very quickly. Instead, I redug my trench and moved the rocks from my previous campfires over to next to Spring, who watched me curiously as I did so, then started my fire up. She was watching as I pulled out the tent, and if she was surprised, she hid it well. After careful thought, I decided not to let her up to eat, but rather change how she was sitting. This was going to give me a major migraine, but this is Nightspring, and I don't want her to get sick. I take a deep breath and concentrate. The earth around her begins to shift as I watch it and Spring looks around in alarm, beginning to hyperventilate. I want to reach out, to reassure her, to let her know she'll be okay, but I can't. As gently as I could whilst keeping her restrained, I turned her over so she was laying on her stomach, her hooves folded under her in a typically comfortable fashion, stripping her of her armour along the way. Please understand this is not for my own perverted pleasure, but mainly because it'd get annoying with ruined armour hanging off of you.

She seemed shocked that I'd removed her armour, and given her wings free reign. She couldn't move otherwise from the cords of tree roots I decided to replace the earth with, but her wings could. She looked at me suspiciously and I smiled, trying to set her at ease.

"Eating while lying on your back can make you sick," I tried to explain softly before turning back to the fire, feeling her still smoldering gaze on me. Resigning myself to a long night of silence once again, I started to heat up one of the many apple pies Applejack had stuffed into the saddlebag over the fire. I had to be careful not to burn it of course, but I managed. I took the pie out with my weak telekinesis and plopped it into a frying pan and put it on the ground. It was then that Nightspring spoke.

"You know I didn't believe the captain at first."

I looked at her, surprised she'd spoken to me. She was glaring at me balefully.

"He said you had escaped from your cell and beat two fully armoured, heavily armed guards by yourself. That was in the report he gave me to look over as well. He figured that the only reason you had to escape was because you were afraid your guilt would be discovered and decided you must have assaulted Princess Mi Amore, or at least that you had much more of a chance that you had."

I wasn't surprised that something like this had happened, since I'd given it some thought over the time I've had and decided it was much more likely than what I'd initially thought. However her look brought something akin to physical pain for me. It really did.

"What about the princess? Has she not awoken yet?"

Nightspring looked troubled for a split second and I felt my stomach twist painfully.

"Priness Mi Amore Cadenza is... not well. She's been asleep since the attack."

Great. There goes my plan to wait this whole thing out.

"I take it there's no indicators that she'll get better soon?"

"No."

Typical. The only plan I had, destroyed. My chances of escaping this unfair accusation in one piece are lowering very quickly. I'm going to need a new plan, and I'm going to need it fast. I'm in a really bad spot otherwise. In the interest of intelligence, I try to pry her for more info.

"Has anypony figured out what's keeping her asleep? Physical attacks, unless they damage something vital, don't normally keep somepony asleep for a week."

Nightspring didn't answer, and I took the chance to tear a piece of the pie away and hold it out to her. She looked at me with a look that screamed 'Are you fucking kidding me?'. I shot a look back, hoping it'd get my message across. It's this, or nothing. She sighed and opened her mouth and I carefully put some of the pie in her mouth. She lunged forward, damn near taking some of my hoof with the pie. I swore and flinched back as she smirked at me. Looks like I'm going to have to remind her who was in charge here. I let my magic sweep into life as I forcefully held her mouth open with it. She looked at me as though I was insane, then with the most malicious and bad tempered look I've ever seen. I fed her more pie, letting her mouth close once I'd left the pie in far enough that she couldn't bite me. I don't think she's ever been so powerless, and I felt terrible doing this to her. I fed her slowly, giving her time to chew and swallow each piece before preparing the next one. After she declared she'd eaten enough, I held the water skein to her lips and she drank greedily. Guess she was thirsty. I felt guilt well up in me again.

"Spring..." I whispered quietly, catching her attention almost instantly, "Why didn't you tell me you were thirsty..?"

She glared at me and refused to answer. With another melancholy sigh, I sat down and began to eat my half of the pie. It was, admittedly, delicious, but my mind just wasn't up to enjoying the taste of the pie. Here I was, camping out in a forest with the mare I've crushed on since forever, and I had to restrain her just to keep her from killing me. This is like my biggest dream turned into a really, really bad nightmare. Add onto that that I'm being hunted for a crime I didn't commit, and it turns into a nightmare I can't wake up from. Worst night yet. Even worse than the three days I spent sick in Applejack's home. A frown covered my face as something occurred to me.

"Hold on, How did you find me? I thought I'd done a pretty good job covering my tracks and being stealthy. How did you find me?"

Spring didn't respond for a moment.

"It... was luck," She admitted grudgingly, "I was flying by when I noticed you stepping out of the forest. I'll admit, you've got guts camping out here. Most ponies wouldn't touch this forest with a ten foot pole."

My frown did not disappear. if anything, it deepened.

"Why not? It's just a forest."

She shook her head.

"No, this is the Everfree Forest. Even you should know that name. Especially you, in fact. Bookworm."

For a moment, I could have sworn her old, teasing, flirtatious voice was back, but I might have been imagining things, because it vanished pretty quickly.Then what she said hit me, and it hit me hard.

"What!? The Everfree Forest!?"

She nodded with her limited range she had and smirked.

"You didn't even know did you? You have no idea where the heck you are do you?"

I flushed and looked away, but the damage was done. She burst into laughter, shaking a little as she laughed. I blushed all the more at her mirth.

"Shutup! I didn't even know where I was when I woke up, let alone where I'd end up a few days later. it seemed like a good place to camp out, easy to hide."

She was still laughing, and I swear that I could feel my face burning up and catching fire. A few minutes later and she was still laughing.

"Ugh, ENOUGH! It's not funny anymore! I get it, I got into a dangerous neck of the woods, but I was in danger either way! Hey, it was only luck that you found me as well!"

She clammed up at that and frowned, much to my relief. With a glance to her, still frowning, I made up my mind.

"If I tell you everything that happened, do you promise to at least listen to me?"

For a long moment, she didn't answer. I could see her mulling the idea over in her mind, mainly because she pressed her tongue to the inside of her cheeks and sort of moved it around. It made her look absolutely adorable with her face scrunche up like that, with her tongue pressed to her cheek.

"... I can't promise you anything."

Well, it was more than I thought I would have, so it was a start.

"Alright, I'll try to keep it brief. It started when I was incarcerated..."

I must have spoken for an hour, hour and a half at least. I'm not sure if she was hearing everything I said, I wasn't even sure she was listening, but despite this I had to tell her. I had to make her understand. I needed her not to hate me, as I'm convinced she does. I told her what happened on the day she got me the soup, I told her about how I woke up in the middle of nowhere, how a guard tried to arrest me and I was forced to stop him, that I didn't hurt him badly, and I patched up his dislocated wing. I told her of how sick I got, but left out the identity and location of the pony who took care of me and gave me all my new equipment, then I told her of how I sneaked around the town and into the forest. I told her then about the meeting that I had with Princess Mi Amore, to make sure she understood exactly what happened and how I had left the room soon after. I then went on to detail exactly what I'd done the rest of the day, making sure she understood I didn't even have the time to attack the Princess. The whole time she was quiet, never speaking. In a bid to escape the memories of what's happened so far, I looked around, spotting Belladonna lying not too far away. I reached forward and picked her up gently, being incredibly careful. This weapon was everything to Spring, and I wasn't about to damage her in any way.

For a very long time, she lay quietly. It was maddening, but I wasn't about to bother her about it. If I did, she'd be likely to disagree with me on principle. I knew her too well I suppose. I was almost asleep when she spoke softly.

"I guess I always did doubt things. I didn't think you were capable of doing such terrible things It didn't seem right. I've known you for so long..."

I remained quiet, to simply let her speak.

"I thought it strange, that you could defeat and beat down a pair of elites. I mean, you're pretty good Arc, but you're not that good. I'm not even that good, obviously. I mean, I couldn't even beat you this time. The third guard I found seemed more like your style, beaten down but not too badly beaten up. Well, except for the utterly destroyed spear. That was strange. I've known you for almost ten years, and never once have I seen you do something like that. I had no doubt you did the number on the patrol guard, but I doubted the spear. Then I found traces of tracks and followed them, found your hut. I'll admit, it wasn't too bad I suppose. But after that... I found a few traces, but nothing substantial. I sort of flew around, hoping to see you and well... you know what happened from there."

She sniffed and a glance revealed she was looking down at the ground. I couldn't see past her lashes, so I wasn't sure if she was crying or not.

"I... I wanted to find you before anypony else could. I asked around the town but nopony had seen you. I guess that... I wanted to find you before anypony else because... I wanted to know. I wanted to find out if you were really guilty. But when I saw you... I guess I just snapped. I was frustrated, and in my frustration, I turned to the only thing I could to keep myself focused. My orders. They came directly from Captain Shining, and it was all I could think of. Then when you fought back I guess... I guess I snapped again and just fought back. For a moment there, I would have killed you. I guess... I'm sorry about almost killing you, I didn't mean to be so damnably impossible."

Impossible? Well, I suppose that's one way of looking at it. If 'trying to kill me with a giant scythe' is any form of being 'impossible'. I suppose she's feeling bad enough already though without aggravating the situation. Well, I suppose it can't hurt. I lean forward and nuzzle her cheek gently. I know she hates sympathy, but this is more of an acceptance of her apology rather than sympathy and I think she got this, because she didn't lean away.

"Look, Spring..." I said quietly, "I swear to you, I didn't do it. I didn't kill those guards, and I certainly didn't harm the princess. I might not have had a comfortable or particularly long conversation, but I didn't harm her, nor have any intention to harm her. I promise you, I never did anything of the sort."

She didn't answer and, to be honest, I didn't expect her to. With a sudden decision, I wanted to know if I could trust her. So, naturally, I did what anypony would. I asked.

"Spring, If I set you free, do you promise not to attack me?"

There was a moment of silence before Spring spoke again, and there was a definite note of challenge in her voice.

"Well, I suppose you'll have to trust me won't you?"

Dammit, this was not what I had planned. Well, no risk no reward, right? With a nervous gulp, I began to slowly let her bonds disintegrate. It was a swift process, and as the last fell away, what I most feared happened. She leaped outward straight at me and hit me full on in the chest, bowling me over and snatching Bella from my grasp and planting the blunt edge of the blade (the outside edge for those of you who don't know much about scythes, apparently a lot of ponies don't.) to my throat and pressing down. I could still breathe, but I knew if she wanted to she could easily kill me, so I go limp, fearfully looking up at her as she smirked down at me.

"Well now, look who's good and stuck!"

She leaned down, grinning. Her close proximity both scared me and made me a little nervous... in a different manner. It was confusing, and I felt myself flush.

"Looks like I have a chance to repay you for your little tricks."