• Published 11th Oct 2012
  • 1,897 Views, 208 Comments

Arc Angel - Valorousspectre



Adventure, Power, Corruption, Grim sort of thing, Not a paradise

  • ...
12
 208
 1,897

Second Reunion, and unexpected Circumstance.

I was in quite high spirits when I left Spurs Hollow. I have to say, I haven't had such high spirits since Spring hugged me to her with her wing. It'd been some time since I'd felt like this, and it was a bit of a novelty, to be on the road and yet, for the first time, not feel helpless. For once I knew where I was going, and I know what I'm doing. I know what I need, where to go, and nothing is going to stand in my way.

If this damn thorn in my hoof would get OUT, I'd be better still.

Right now, I'm sitting on the side of the road that had, as of almost twelve hours ago, led me out and away from Spurs Hollow, trying to reach the thorn stuck in my hind left hoof. It's damn annoying, and it's starting to actually hurting me now, I can feel a crick in my neck forming as I crane around to see what I'm doing. It's been stuck in my hoof for the past hour and I've finally gotten sick enough to try and grab it. And so you know, it has occurred to me to use magic, but using it to try and grasp something that I cannot physically see, or know precisely where it is. Neither of which I do or can.

With an irritable grunt, I change position, rolling onto my back and curling and finally I saw it. A great big red thorn that looked more like it belonged in the mouth of a full grown cerberus rather than on a plant. With a grunt, I leaned forward and grabbed the thorn in my teeth and yanked it out with another painful grunt. It's larger than I thought, and a small bead of blood welled out of it. Nothing to be done though, I'll just have to make do.

The countryside I've been walking through these past few hours is quite spectacular. Many would say that these rolling plains are boring and featureless, but some of us know better. The sky is clear and the hills are covered in long grass with occasional spots of colour where a flower bush or simply some flowers had grown. There's a pool of water not far to my right and, hey, why not? I start towards it, I need to fill my water supply anyway. I'd sort of forgotten to do so when I'd left Spurs Hollow, and I'd feel bad doing it anyway, taking Moondust's water. It just doesn't seem right, to take her water.

Moondust.

I really do owe her. My life I suppose. It's unreal to owe someone else my life rather than have it the other way around like I'm used to. Seriously, when Spring and I are on patrol, it's the other way around. I remember once when we saved a mare who worked in a brothel. She didn't really have much choice, as I found out later, but that's neither here nor there. I found it highly amusing when she offered her services for free for Nightspring whenever she wanted. Spring had gotten all flustered and hadn't known how to respond. Of course, I couldn't laugh for long however when she turned her gaze unto me. Yes, she made me blush to the roots of my mane that day, with an offer that I have yet to take her up on. I'm fairly certain I will never take her up on it come to think of it. It's a little uh... yeah.

Ahem.

Anyway! Juicy piece of gossip aside, I've reached the pool, or spring, or whatever, I've never been very good at geography, despite my studies. Geography simply never struck a chord with me, I was always better at Mathematics, Magical Theory and Strategy. Obviously I've studied more but...

I'm getting off topic again.

With a sigh I sat down again at the water's edge and let the saddlebags drop from my back. There's still several hours of daylight left, so I'm not stopping yet, but I do need water. Flicking open the bags, I reached in and took out my canteen. Oh, I don't think I ever mentioned having that hey? Well, I have a canteen, it came with the bags. It's a pretty thing, made of what I can only guess is steel, painted orange with a red apple. It seems everything in these saddlebags was tailor made for Applejack. The apple matches those on her flanks... Not that I ever looked at her flanks! I'm actually missing her food now that I think on it...

I catch myself staring at the canteen and shake myself out of it, unscrewing the cap for the canteen and taking a swig before emptying the contents onto the ground with a grimace. The damn thing tasted horrible, guess I need to clean this thing. This is where magic comes in handy. It barely took a few seconds to clean the thing with magic, despite how fiddly the thing is, and a few seconds more to fill it. As I do so, I start to thinking. How exactly do I get within the castle once I have the antidote? I can't get in the same way as I did last time, they'd have me under lock and key the moment I was in sight and escorted by an entire contingency of guards, I know it. And I doubt even Defender's authority could get me out of that jam. I suppose going at night might buy me some leniency, but I doubt it. I'd doubt Captain would leave Princess Cadenza on her own for long, and probably spends entire nights at her bedside.

Well, I'll cross that bridge when I get there I suppose. Canteen filled and replaced in the bags, I relocated them onto my back and headed South for the Somerset Glade. I'll be honest, I'm not certain why they call it the Somerset 'Glade', because to be honest, I've heard it's more a forest than a glade. But then, the Kirin were never terribly sociable, excepting the current King.

I was just following this line of reasoning when it occurred to me that I was on the ground. As in, face in the dirt, dirt tasting, face planting. You know what I mean, we've all been in that position.

"Ha! Found you! Only took me a few days!"

That voice...

"Oh jeez, Spring didn't I leave you in Canterlot?"

The familiar sound of Nightspring's voice invaded my ears and I'm not sure if I'm relieved, happy to see her or pissed off that she followed me. I'd left her there for a reason, but as usual she'd just plunge into everything without thought, as she always did. Sometimes...

"Yes, you did. I'm very disappointed in you for that," She said frigidly, "That wasn't part of the plan."

"The plan went to Tartarus the moment Defender discovered me," I shot back angrily, struggling against her. Unfortunately for me, Spring is stronger than me physically and there's no way I'm capable of throwing her off me, no matter how hard I try. It's kinda discouraging to be honest, that a mare I'd known most of my adult life was stronger than I was. Isn't it meant to be the other way around?

"He didn't turn you in did he? So I'd say it worked anyway. You were meant to leave with me! Not jump out of a fucking window! I was terrified you were dead! You're SO lucky I have wings you know, otherwise I could have never tracked you. How in Celestia's name did you glide so far anyway? You're a unicorn but you're not that good."

Ouch.

"I'm not all that certain myself, if you must know," I replied snidely, "But I'm fairly certain it had something to do with the cloak I'm wearing. But asking me about it will get you nowhere, since I don't even know why I took it from Shining's office, I just saw it and took it."

We both paused for a moment as I smoldered under her comment concerning my latent magical abilities, or lack thereof. Certainly not called for, and more than a little insulting if you ask me. And she was still sitting on me. That was getting old rather quickly.

"Spring, could you get off me now?" I asked irritably, "I need to keep moving sometime soon."

"No," She replied coldly, obviously not liking my tone, "I think I'll sit here a little longer. I'm not certain you've learned your lesson yet. We'll stay here for a while longer."

Naturally. The most important time in my life, and the most important journey of my lifetime, and I happen to be stuck under the most petty mare on the face of Equestria who happened to be physically stronger than me, plus I have no way of summoning up enough strength to lift the stupid mare via telekinesis. Well, to be honest, if the circumstances were different I'd be close to being in heaven right now. But considering these circumstances...

Nope, still in heaven.

I feel heat flush across my face and instinctively know that I'm blushing. Her forehooves are digging into my shoulders and her rump is on my back. I must look like the biggest fool, with my forehooves stuck out in front of me and my hind legs splayed out on the ground. I'm so glad I'm on my stomach right now though, and my tail lies pretty flat. There are some features of the stallion's body that aren't meant to be shown in broad daylight.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt.... she's probably better at this than me right?

"Fine," I said quietly, "You can come with me then."

I'm not sure if I'll regret this or not, but hey, why not?

~*~

It was almost a week later. We'd been travelling due South for some time, having to bypass most towns and all cities. Thankfully, Spring wasn't wanted for treason, so she could go into any town or city she wanted. Unfortunately, she couldn't be seen with me. So nine times out of ten, she either walked ahead or flew high above, avoiding the sight of unicorns and earth ponies all together. I'm fairly certain we're going the right way, but since I've never actually been to the Somerset Glade, I can't be entirely certain. But hey, South is South right? How hard could it be?

Anyhow.

A week we were travelling South. We'd just set up camp and I was midway through finishing a turnip broth. It wasn't a great turnip broth, but it was a semblance of a turnip broth. I'm not a terribly good cook. Spring had been acting strange all day, and now was no exception. She was moody and often pushed me away or snapped at me. To be honest, I wasn't sure how to react. I knew she could be a bitch sometimes, but this was absurd.

"The broth is almost ready Spring, you hungry?" I asked cautiously.

"No, I don't want any of your stupid broth!" She shot back angrily, "I don't want anything you cook you idiot!"

"Sorry I asked," I replied indignantly. She huffed angrily and shook her head.

"Your bloody cooking is worse than my father's hygiene, and that's saying something!"

Okay, that does it. I've met Nightspring's father, and my cooking isn't that bad. I looked at her angrily.

"What is wrong with you today!? You're acting worse than my mother in a foul mood!"

And if her father's hygiene is bad, my mother's temper is something to behold. I swear, she made legend in Canterlot for her bad moods. It's absurd. She seemed to take offense to this.

"Well maybe I'm sick of travelling with a reject like you!" She yelled back at me, "And sick of your stupid cooking and pathetic brooding all the time! It's like travelling with an overly emotional teenage colt in the middle of puberty!"

I saw red and leapt at her, pinning her under my hooves, her shocked cry turning into a grunt as both of us hit the ground, the fire, food and tent forgotten in our spat. Adrenaline lent me strength as I held her down despite her struggles and I yelled at her.

"DAMMIT NIGHTSPRING, WHAT THE HECK IS WRO-"

My rant cut short as I noted her appearance. She was sweating, for one, and her bottom lip was clutched tightly in her teeth. She was looking anywhere but at me, and her wings were partway open. Her cheeks were flushed red and her ears were splayed flat against her head. She looks really, really uncomfortable.

"Spring? Are you alright?"

She nodded slowly, her bottom lip turning white. Hesitantly, afraid she'd bite through it or something, I took her lip from her teeth with a careful hoof. She actually tried to nibble my hoof and I jerked away, a flush on my face now.

"W-what are you doing? What's wrong?" I asked, although I had my suspicions by now. Suspicions that were slowly being confirmed. Her whole demeanor now that I was on top of her changed, and her hoof quested out to caress my cheek and mane, making me flush even more. She still didn't answer me at first, but her scent answered for me. That alone confirmed my suspicions. There was only one reason that she would be giving off such a scent, and would also explain why she'd been pushing me away as best she could all day.

"Spring... Are you..?"

Her answer was a solid bite to my ear, making me yelp in surprised pain. Always knew she was a rough filly. She growled seductively as she did so and whispered softly after letting go.

"You caught me, Now what are you going to do about it?"

How the hell did I answer to that? I can feel my body starting to react to her biological demands, even as I try to swallow and get my head back together.

"Spring.. You're not.. thinking straight you're just.. It's-"

"Don't tell me you don't," She said bluntly, licking my cheek slowly afterwards, despite my jerking away, "You've wanted me for a long time~ Now's your chance you know, and you know I won't stop you..~"

She glanced back at the tent, then back to me. I was trying desperately to keep my head out of the clouds and in the real world. It's difficult. Fuck, it's worse than difficult, it's damn near impossible. I gulped heavily.

"Spring... I.. you're in heat.. it messes with your head..."

She grabbed my head, shutting me up quite effectively and giggled.

"Stop denying yourself, and stop denying me~ You couldn't deny little old me could you?"

Crafty minx. I sighed and stepped off of her, not fighting her as she nipped and pushed at my rump, pushing me into the massive tent.

I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight, if any.