• Published 13th Mar 2024
  • 540 Views, 42 Comments

I love you, Izzy Moonbow - Hoofprintz



A guy living a terribly boring life is saved when Izzy shows up in his home to be friends.

  • ...
1
 42
 540

1. Izzy

"Hey."

...

"Hey."

...

"Hey."

...

The whispered "heys" coming from beside my bed weren't hard for me to ignore. Heck, I'd spent countless nights sleeping through much worse than some soft spoken words. Once the pointed object started poking into my ribs on the other hand...

Nine? Thank god I don't have to work today.

I glanced at the clock on my nightstand before rolling over towards the source of my irritation, an annoyed grunt escaping my mouth. Turning had brought me face to face with the largest pair of twinkling magenta eyes I'd ever seen before.

"Hi new friend." The set of pearly whites in my face sparkled in the morning sun.

Alright. So then it's another one.

It wasn't the first time and it most certainly wouldn't be the last. I'd had countless dreams about them. Researching the past with Sunny. Being an actual deputy for Hitch. Solving a mystery with Zipp. Performing with Pipp in one of her concerts.

But mostly... mostly I'd dream about Izzy. She was my favorite, after all. Although we typically did things together in Equestria, -- smoothies in Maretime Bay, crafts in her home in Bridlewood, going to see a movie in Zephyr Heights -- It wasn't too uncommon for us to meet like this, in my apartment.

I wiped the sleep from my eyes, forcing myself to sit up. One powerful stretch and a long yawn later and I'd mostly rid myself of the remaining tiredness.

I crossed my arms, finally taking the time to look down at the lavender intruder, who'd thankfully, been silent as I worked to wake myself up.

"Hey, Iz. What's going on?" I scratched the back of my head, still a tiny bit tired.

"Iz?" her head tilted to the side in curiosity.

"Izzy. Izzy Moonbow." I replied, maybe a little too quickly.

Her eyes lit up, her toothy grin growing even wider.

"YOU KNOW MY NAME!?" She would've stood on my bed had I not thrown an open hand directly into her face, her nose lightly bumping into my palm.

"No dirty hooves on the bed," I scolded her. A pout came to her face as she lowered herself back onto the floor. "Of course I do Iz, why wouldn't I?"

"That's not fair!" She harrumphed, crossing her forelegs. "I don't know yours!"

"Well you're not the one dreaming, now are you?" I swept my legs off the bed, standing to my feet and groggily heading for the restroom.

"You're dreaming!?" she gasped, clearly amazed by that fact as she followed closely behind me. "But you just woke up," her face screwed up in confusion. "And of course I'm not dreaming. I'm not even asleep... at least, I don't think I am," she poked her cheek with a hoof.

"It's not dependant on you being asleep, Iz," I stopped in the doorway to the bathroom, turning to face her.

"That doesn't sound ri-," her muzzle pushed into my leg. She looked up at me with another frown on her face. "How do you know you're dreaming?"

"Simple," I lifted a thumb up to her face. "If I was awake this would hurt."
I bit down on the digit, a yelp of pain instantly escaping my mouth. I shook my hand harshly, trying to make the pain fade as quickly as possible. Izzy stared at me as if I was the dumbest creature alive.

"Thaaaat sure sounded like it hurt," she continued to look up at me. "Looked like it too. Are you okay?"

"I..." I leapt into the restroom, slamming the door closed behind myself.

"NEW FRIEND!? WHAT'S THE MATTER!?" Izzy called out, the sound of her hooves roughly clopping against the closed door following shortly after.

I rushed over to the sink, using it to hold myself upright while staring into the mirror in disbelief. I looked a little disheveled, sure, but everything was normal for first thing in the morning, except my panicked breathing.

Okay... I took a deep breath to try to calm myself down. Okay, one more time.

I bit my tongue. Hard. The sudden taste of copper in my mouth almost made me retch.

...

So... this is happening... apparently, I turned on the faucet, letting the water get as cold as possible before splashing it onto my face to make sure I really was awake.

Yep, I shivered a bit. Definitely not sleeping. I wiped my face dry with a towel.

A much more gentle knock at the door drew my attention.

"N-new friend?"

Izzy...

She sounded way too sad.

I rushed back over to the door, opening it to find the lavender mare sitting on her haunches. She was hunched over, her head hanging down and her mane hiding her face.

"I don't know what I did wrong, but... I'm really sorry for doing it," she didn't move an inch as she spoke.

"Hey..." I laid a hand on top of her head. The blue hair was silky smooth and soft as a feather. Touching it sent a tremor of elation through me.

She really is here...

I fought every instinct that yelled at me to pick her up and swing her around the room.

I wonder how heavy she is... Would it be rude to ask?

Maybe I was going crazy. Maybe I was dead and this was a type of paradise. Whatever it was, I wasn't going to let the opportunity pass me by.

"You didn't do anything wrong, Izzy. Sorry... for slamming the door in your face."

"Then... you're not mad at me?" her head lifted a fraction of an inch.

"How could I ever be mad at you, Izzy?" I patted her head gently, mussing up her mane.

"Then..." she swept my hand away with a hoof. "If you're not mad at me... and you know who I am..." the mischievous grin on her face was too much for my heart to handle. "It's only fair to tell me who, and what, you are. Right, friend!?"

"Hmmm..." I faked contemplation, stroking my chin. It was way too fun a chance not to mess with her. "It's not enough to know that I'm your friend?" I booped her on the nose with a finger.

"But, I can't just call you friend! I mean, I can, but-" she jumped on me in a panic, her forehooves on my stomach nearly knocking me over. "A-and my hooves aren't dirty!"

"I know, I know," I grabbed her forelegs gently, lowering them to the floor and crouching in front of her. "I was just joking. My name is Jonathan, but my friends all call me Jon."

Well... they would If I had any.

"Jon," she placed a hoof on her lips, her genuine smile back in spades. "My new friend's name is Jon."

"Come on," I stepped by her, walking towards the living room. "We should probably discuss some things."

"Like what?" she followed, her hooves clopping on the wood floor.

"You know, stuff like what I am, how you got here, and most importantly," I sighed. "how to get you back to Sunny and the others."

"Back to who?"

I froze.

"S-Sunny?"

When no reply came I tried being more precise.

"Sunny Starscout... Your best friend..." I turned to find a look of utter bewilderment on her face, though her glowing smile remained.

"Who's Sunny Starscout?"