• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 3,919 Views, 29 Comments

Under The Milky Way - Closer-To-The-Sun



While stargazing up at the night sky, Twilight Sparkle notices an object falling down to Equestria. What is that strange blue box and who is that even stranger stallion who calls himself the Doctor?

  • ...
5
 29
 3,919

Chapter 3: Two Hearts In 3/4 Time

Chapter 3: Two Hearts In 3/4 Time

As Celestia’s sun began to peak over the distant mountains, Twilight Sparkle was making her way back to her home at the library. While she would normally enjoy walking back home in the early dawn of the morning, watching all of the creatures waking up from their slumber and observe the dew that had settled on the field, she had a company that she wasn’t expecting. A brown stallion with an hourglass on his flank.

“Why are you still following me?” Twilight turned her head back to him as she continued trotting down the path.

“What do you mean, ‘why’? You offered something about tea, did you not?” the Doctor asked, still with a bit of smirk on his face.

“Well, yeah for me, not y-”

The stallion interrupted, “Then what’s the problem? We all can use a cup of tea every now and then, and it’s a wonderful way for us to chat, don’t you think? In fact, one of my old friends always loved to have a warm cup of tea, bless her soul.”

Twilight was tired of fighting and just wanted to get home after a sleepless night, “Fine, just hurry up, Mr. Doctor.”

“Oi! That’s the Doctor to you, Ms. Sparkle.”

--------------------

When the two ponies arrived to the library, the purple mare wasted no time as she trotted to the kitchen to prepare her tea. The Doctor, on the other hoof, looked around the library with a very pleased look. Examining the smallest detail around him, he trotted around the main room with a bright smile.

“You live in a library, do you?” he asked aloud.

“Well, yes and no. I’m the town librarian, but this is also my home. On the second floor anyway. It’s a bit odd, I know, but it’s something I have to admit that I love,” Twilight commented from the kitchen, moving the kettle to the metal tray with two cups.

“Not the least bit odd. I love books myself. Filled with knowledge, some of the most powerful things in the universe are held in the pages of books! Even the smalls, most insignificant books can change history!” the Doctor mused as he read a number of the book titles to himself.

The Doctor’s comments perked Twilight’s ears up. “Okay, Doctor. I have our tea. Now, talk.” Using her magic, she placed the tray on the coffee table in front of the sofa and poured tea into both cups. Twilight sat down and used magic to levitate a cup to her mouth for a sip.

“I could talk about anything and everything, but we would be here for ages! Mind narrowing down for what you want to talk about?” the stallion sat down in front of the table and carefully took the cup of tea and took a quick sip, “Ah, black tea. If I’m correct, it’s bailin gongfu, one of the three famous Fujian reds.”

The mare had it, “Alright, Mr. Doctor, spill it. Just who are you? First you claim you are some sort of traveler through time and space. You use me to help you with your….whatever that thing is.”

“TARDIS,” the Doctor interjected.

“Whatever! Then I get shocked and my mane gets burnt, which I’m not too happy about so you know. Then you seemingly claimed to have make sure I was okay with some ‘screwdriver’ thing. You called yourself a thief and just follow me back to my home for tea. You call yourself the Doctor, but Doctor who?”

The Doctor took a long drink from his tea cup before replying, “You want me to be honest?”

“Well, obviously.”

“No secrets?”

“No secrets.”

With a sigh, the stallion began, “Very well then, I am the Doctor and I am a traveler just passing through. In fact, I’m not even sure how I got into this new body. Regeneration is always tricky.”

“What?” Twilight was lost.

“To put it simply, I’m a Time Lord, an ancient race of aliens who are capable of time travel. The blue box you saw? My time machine. And I should have you know, we don’t normally take the form of….well, equestrian species. We are more fans of bipedal organisms, no offense,” the Doctor explained as best he could.

The unicorn wasn’t buying it, “Uh-huh, an alien? You sure you just didn’t escape from a nut house?”

“Then how do you explain what just happened to us back at the TARDIS? And your hair?” the Doctor asked, pointing to Twilight’s purple and pink mane.

“Lack of sleep? At least that would explain the idea that I’m hallucinating all of this.”

“Are you really that daft?” the Doctor was getting annoyed with Twilight’s attitude. He stood up on all four of his hooves and moved to the other side of the table where Twilight was, “Do you lack your imagination, you silly filly?”

Twilight didn’t change her demeanor, “I’m just looking a this from the most probable view.”

“You like using logic, don’t you?”

“I am a scientist by study.”

“Then have your logic explain this, Ms. Sparkle.” With a fling of his front limbs, the Doctor wrapped his hooves around Twilight’s head and drew it to his torso.

With an ear up against the Doctor’s body, Twilight’s face lit up a bright red. Before she could push the stallion away, she heard a steady heartbeat through his coat. The Doctor then moved her carefully to the other side of his chest where she heard the same beating of a heart. A second heart. The brown pony then let the mare go.

Twilight moved back and didn’t know what she had experienced, “Wh-What was that?”

The Doctor explained, “Time Lords have two hearts, regardless of what kind of body that regeneration gives them. Now do you believe me? It’s kinda hard to fake that.”

“I-I believe you….I just don’t….”

“Believe it?” he finished the statement that was on her mind with a smirk, “It’s quite alright, it takes a while for most to fully comprehend it. Took Donna quite a bit. Took Rory even longer.”

The purple unicorn was still confused as well as flustered, “I still don’t understand why you are here though. If you are who you say you are, you could go literally anywhere.”

“As I said, just passing through. I always like little detours on my journey to nowhere.”

Sighing and raising a hoof to her head, Twilight was trying to completely process what had happened and who was standing in front of her. Talking to herself, she commented “Nothing can make this even more weird for me….”

The voice of a familiar little dragon perked the ears of both ponies, “Morning, Twilight. Whose your coltfriend?”

The statement caused the unicorn’s face to become pale.