• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 3,919 Views, 29 Comments

Under The Milky Way - Closer-To-The-Sun



While stargazing up at the night sky, Twilight Sparkle notices an object falling down to Equestria. What is that strange blue box and who is that even stranger stallion who calls himself the Doctor?

  • ...
5
 29
 3,919

Chapter 2: Lights

Chapter 2: Lights

“Doctor? Twilight remarked, “Doctor who, exactly?”

With a smirk, the stallion replied, “Oh, that question has come up far more times than I can count. Now then, no dilly dallying, come along!” Without a second thought or a enough time for the unicorn to process his words, the Doctor pulled Twilight into the blue box via the open door that was facing upward.

The moment Twilight could process what had just happened, she was in amazement as she looked about the large room she had just entered into. Confused as well as stunned by the interior, she tried to speak, but only could say nonsense.

“It’s called a TARDIS. Time and relative dimensions in space. It’s a spaceship and a time machine in one, and yes, it is bigger on the inside, okay? Okay, now can you please follow me up here so you can help me?” the Doctor wasted no time when he returned his ship. He quickly trotted up to the console and fiddled with the switches and levers, observing the screens that he had around him.

“Who are you and why should I trust you?” Twilight finally came to her senses as she followed the brown pony onto the platform, “For all I know you could be some weird pony out trying to ponynap me for Celestia knows what reasons! And what do you mean this is a spaceship? And for that matter, a time machine! That’s just science fiction! Just who do you think you are?”

Still pressing buttons, the Doctor looked to the purple mare, “I told you, I’m the Doctor. And if you don’t help me fix my lovely machine, well you can say goodbye to this hemisphere of your planet. To be honest, it looks like a lovely world with a lot to offer.”

With a surge of energy, the console sparked a few times causing both ponies to shield themselves with their front limbs. The Doctor inputted a few more things into the machine before turning to the mare, “Right then, going to need some extra help with this. Name?”

Twilight was caught off guard, “Wha?”

“Name. Your name. What you are identified as in relation to the rest of your species. You have a name, don’t you?” the Doctor spoke quickly.

“Twilight. I’m Twilight Sparkle.”

“Twilight. A beautiful name. Right, listen carefully since time is of the essense. I need you to pull these levers when I tell you to, and after that, I will give you more instructions. You have to act quickly, understood?” Pointing to the console, the Doctor explained.

The purple pony nodded nervously.

“Wonderful. Wait here.”

With a gallop in his movement, the Doctor hopped down from the platform and began to fiddle with the wires below the console itself. Detaching from some and reinserting them in others, he worked quickly as fast as his hooves and sonic screwdriver could move. With a few sparks occurring below, it began to worry Twilight who was anxiously waiting for the Doctor’s orders.

“Get ready, Ms. Sparkle….” the Doctor warned, speaking with his sonic screwdriver in his mouth.

Twilight braced herself mentally.

“Flip the switch!”

The mare did as she was told, flipping both levers upward.

Orders were continually being shouted, “Now, press the orange and green buttons at the same time, now!”

With a bit of hesitation, the unicorn managed to press the two buttons. The second she hit them, the entire power of the TARDIS seemed to completely to die out. The machinery was dead, the lights were all off, and the entire ship was dark and lifeless. While the Doctor found this curious, Twilight was panicking.

“This was quite odd,” the stallion commented nonchalantly.

“What has happened?” a touch of fear and dread was in present in the mare’s voice.

“Seems to be just a delay in the power’s transfer to the main systems. Nothing major,” the Doctor informed Twilight by shouting up to her.

Twilight was not comfortable, “I don’t care what happened, just get the lights back on. Now.”

“Main power should be restored momentarily, no need to rush it.”

Firmly, the unicorn wasn’t just going to wait, “I don’t care who you think you are, Mr. Doctor, but you will listen to me when I say turn the lights back on right this insta-” Her words were cut off by the entire room being lit up by a surge of electricity sparking out from the console itself, shocking Twilight for at least seven full seconds.

“Oh dear, this is not good, not good at all!” the Doctor dashed up the stairs to the console platform to assist the fallen Twilight.

Noticing that the TARDIS has come back to life, he pulled a few levers, causing the machine to begin it’s whirring and moving. He then turned his attention to Twilight Sparkle, lifting her head up with his front limbs and looked at the purple unicorn’s body. With only a bit of apparent burns to her mane and tail, Twilight was breathing and just fine. “Tough gal,” the Doctor commented to himself.

A few minutes passed before Twilight awoke with her head resting on one of the stallion’s limbs. A light was shined into her eyes, causing her to raise a hoof up to block the beam. “Ugh….what is that?” she mumbled.

“A sonic screwdriver. A multi-purpose tool that is right now making sure you’re not going to die on me,” the Doctor joked, looking at his device, “And it just gave you a clean bill of health, save the minor burns on your mane and tail.”

Raising herself up from the Doctor’s limb, Twilight rubbed her head before speaking, “Do you mind filling me in on the little details of what happened?”

Closing his sonic screwdriver and putting away, a smile returned to the Doctor’s face, “I’ll be happy to. First we tried to revive the TARDIS, then the old girl blacked out on us. You then made it apparent that you have lygophobia, and then you were shocked with, I would say, about 20,000 volts of pure electricity. Bodies do make good conductors with electrical circuit.”

“Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind next time I’m experimenting with volts,” Twilight replied sarcastically.

“Nevertheless,” the Doctor continued, “with your help, the TARDIS is back in working order, good as new. Well, as new as she was when I stole her.”

“Stole?”

“Oh yeah, me and this machine go way back,” the stallion lightly bragged.

With a heavy sigh, Twilight rubbed her head as she trotted towards the door, “This is way to weird to be real. This has to be some weird dream. Tea, I just need to get some tea from home.”

The brown stallion was close behind, “A spot of tea? Don’t mind I if I join ya!”