• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 4,323 Views, 77 Comments

Let Me Count The Ways - Rara



Young Rarity has fallen for the handsome new arrival in Ponyville, but he won't take her seriously!

  • ...
3
 77
 4,323

05- The Welcome Wagon

Spike tugged at the ratty old black bowtie around his long neck- his only concession to proper clothing. It was his only one, and he had owned it since he was short and chubby. It would barely knot around his neck now, and he felt suffocated. Twilight, on the other claw, looked adorable. After much fussing and coercing, she had allowed him to tie her mane back with a big purple bow, and it made her look like a a cute little doll. A cute, scowling little doll.

"Spi-ike, why can't I bring my notebook? You said this was a learning experience!"

"Yeah, but your memory is just fine. Besides, it would be rude to bring a notebook on a play date- I mean, an outing."

Twilight shot him a look that made him quiver in his scales before he remembered that she still slept with a stuffed owl at night. He rolled his eyes at his young charge. "It's not a play date, Twi. Don't get your tail in a knot."

Suprisingly, she didn't respond to this, but instead resumed pacing in front of the library's front door, kicking up puffs of dust with every step. Spike realized that she was actually nervous, despite her small bravado. He softened, knowing what it was like. When he was younger, it was understandably difficult to get along with the Canterlot foals his age. Oh, they played together, but he never felt like part of any group. Not exactly surprising, he reflected with some bitterness, considering the fact that he was the only dragon in Equestria hatched by and living with ponies. Oh, well- those days were long past, and he was an adult now. Practically.

There was a vigorous knock at the door, and Twilight, inches away at the time, leaped back in shock and fell on her rump. Coughing from the dust this had stirred up, Spike lifted her to her hooves and nudged her out of the way so he could open the door for their visitor.

"Hi, Rari- Oh, wow." Spike stopped short, as the door opened to reveal, not Rarity, but a little pink filly who looked about Twilight's age. It wasn't because of the filly herself that he exclaimed, but what she was wearing. A trenchcoat that must have been two sizes too large at least, an old slouchy hat, a silly pair of glasses with a droopy mustache attached to the bottom, and in the corner of her mouth, a pink pipe from which soap bubbles drifted lazily every time she spoke.

He stared, dumbfounded at the ridiculous apparition, but she spoke before he could get his bearings back. Her voice was piercing, high and bubbly. She spoke furtively, looking around as if expecting cloaked ponies to jump out of the shadows at any moment. "Quick! There isn't much time! I'm looking for the two new ponies that Rarity met today! I'm on an urgent mission, but it's super-duper secret so you have to be extra careful not to tell anypony!"

She darted inside and slammed the door behind her, hissing "They're everywhere!" as she passed Spike. His mouth hung open in sheer amazement. Twilight, who had been peering around him curiously, found herself nose-to-nose with the eccentric newcomer, who was alternately beaming sunnily, catching herself, and trying to look furtive again.

"Who are you?" blurted Twilight, somewhat rudely.

The pink filly paused dramatically, and the hat popped off her head with a sproing as the wild curls underneath proved too much for it. "You can call me... Deep Pink."

Spike snorted before he could catch himself. The fillies ignored him. "Ooo-kay, Deep Pink. Why are you looking for us? Are you friends with Rarity?"

Deep Pink bounced in place. "Yep yep yep! I'm glad I found you two- even though he's kind of a weird-looking pony, if you ask me."

Twilight rolled her eyes. "He's a dragon."

Deep Pink nodded. "Oh, that makes a lot more sense! Anyway, I'm here to make sure no one comes anywhere near you guys! This night's gonna be extra-extra-specially special! Have no fear, Pinkie Pie's here!" She whooped and tossed her fake glasses in the air.

Twilight gaped. "Um... Well, I guess that's... nice? Deep- I mean, Pinkie Pie."

The other pony gasped and grabbed Twilight by the shoulders, yanking her close until they were eye-to-eye. "How did you know my secret identity?"

Twilight tilted her head, obviously wondering if all the ponies in this town were completely out of their minds. "Be- because you just said it?"

Pinkie Pie flung her hoof up dramatically. "My cover's been blown!"

She spun and sprinted out of the library, leaving a trail of soap bubbles behind her. The two friends stared at the fast-retreating figure, then at each other. Neither of them could think of anything to say.

Just then, Rarity rounded the corner. She saw them standing in the open doorway and waved excitedly. "Hi! Oh, I hope you weren't waiting too long! I was just- What's wrong?"

For Twilight was staring vacantly into an empty street, her mouth hanging open, and Spike was finally breaking down into choked, hysterical laughter. For a while, all the fillies could get out of him were gasps of "Deep Pink!"

When he had recovered, he leaned against the doorway, wiping a tear from his eye and said happily, "I think I'm really gonna enjoy Ponyville."