• Published 28th Sep 2012
  • 4,324 Views, 77 Comments

Let Me Count The Ways - Rara



Young Rarity has fallen for the handsome new arrival in Ponyville, but he won't take her seriously!

  • ...
3
 77
 4,324

04- Blue Satin Slippers

Rarity scrambled about her house frantically while her parents looked on, bemused.

“Whatcha lookin’ for, kiddo?” inquired her mother. The mare was light pink, with a rather outdated purple bouffant. Her pale blue eyes crinkled at the corners in amusement at the sight of her foal.

Rarity whirled about dramatically, her carefully curled coiffure starting to unravel. “I’m trying to find the blue satin slippers Granddam made for me last spring. I’ve looked absolutely everywhere. Dad, have you seen them?”

Her father, a white-coated Earth pony with a brunet mane and a matching moustache, looked up from his easy chair. He hadn’t been paying attention to the crisis at hoof; his attention was fully focused on the latest hoofball news-spread. “Eh? Sorry, honey, what did you want?”

Rarity huffed upwards, sending a stray curl on her forehead back into place. “I said, have you seen my blue satin slippers from Granddam?”

Her father blinked. He scratched his slight cider belly, protruding from underneath his obtrusive Haywaiian shirt. He rubbed his moustache thoughtfully.

“Did you look in your closet?” he said at last. His daughter stamped one hoof in frustration.

“Of course I did! That was the first place I- um…” Rarity trailed off, trying to remember whether she had indeed checked her closet. She couldn’t remember. Feeling slightly sheepish, she began edging toward the staircase. “But I’ll go check again. Just in case.”

Her father, relieved to be let off the hook so soon, returned to his paper.

Rarity emerged from her closet a minute later. On her hooves were four satin slippers, the same shade of blue as the trio of diamonds decorating her flanks.

“Well, that was a waste of time,” muttered the filly, even as she admired her hooves. “now, what should I wear? Nothing too fancy, of course. I didn’t tell Spike to dress up, so I don’t want to embarrass him. Celestia forbid!”

Her ears perked up as a thought occurred to her. “Of course! I haven’t had a chance to wear it out yet. Where did I put it?”

Rarity braced herself for another foray into her closet. The kindest thing that can be said about the filly’s bedroom (or her boudoir, as she rather grandly put it) was that it was indeed colorful. Clothes lay strewn over every possible surface. A ponnequin (purchased with the money received at her Cuteciñera) was draped haphazardly with scraps of fabrics and loops of ribbons. Pincushions littered the floor, making it dangerous to set hoof anywhere without first checking the clutter beneath oneself. Schoolbooks lay open randomly all over the room.

The only part of the room untouched by the chaos was a corner next to Rarity’s equally messy bed. The clean square of carpet was occupied by a plush, luxurious-looking basket that housed a fluffy white kitten. The animal watched Rarity’s search with narrowed eyes, its snub nose wrinkled in distaste.

The filly emerged once more, triumphantly bearing a folded garment in the blue field of her magic. “Here it is!” she smiled. “This will look perfect, Opal! Casual, yet glamorous. I’m a genius!”

Rarity slipped into it. It was revealed to be a simple blue-and-white vest, adorned with lacy ruffles at the hems. She pulled a roll of pink fabric off of her full-length mirror in order to admire herself. Posing and flirting with herself, the little unicorn gazed deeply into her own eyes.

“Why, hello, Miss Rarity,” she said in a husky voice. “You look marvelous tonight.”

“Oh, you’re just saying that.” She giggled in her normal tones. “You don’t look half bad yourself.”

Nothing can compare to your beauty, Miss Rarity. I must confess that I’ve fallen madly in love with you.”

“Well, naturally.”

“May I… kiss you?”

Rarity, now entirely caught up in her imagination, was leaning toward the mirror with puckered lips and fluttering lashes. Just before she could make contact with her reflection, there was a knock on the open bedroom door. Rarity yelped, tripped over her own hooves, and smacked face-first into the mirror.

“You okay there, kiddo?” Her mother’s cautious question rang in the humiliated filly’s ears. Rarity sprang to her feet and lifted her stinging nose high in the air as if nothing had happened. Her eyes watered, but she ignored it. That bump had really smarted.

Nothing! Just getting ready!”

Rarity’s mother raised an eyebrow, but didn’t comment. “Okay… Whatcha getting ready for? You don’t usually dress up all fancy to go play with your little pals.”

Rarity realized that, in her panic to get ready, she had neglected to tell her parents of her plans. “Oh… well, earlier I met some newcomers to Ponyville. They’re staying in the library this summer, and I offered to show them around Ponyville tonight. They're from Canterlot.

The older mare smiled. “Well isn’t that just the sweetest thing for you to do! I’m sure they appreciate having a neighbor as good as my little girl here.” An idea seemed to strike her. “Say, why don’t you invite these ponies over for dinner? Your dad’s making his world-famous casserole, and I-”

No!” shouted Rarity, shuddering at the thought of her father's casserole. Her mother looked taken aback, and the filly relented. “Sorry, I just meant… well, I really want to show them around myself and get to know him better.”

“Him?” Her mother was quick to catch Rarity’s slip of the tongue. The filly's eyes widened, and she backtracked hurriedly.

“Oh, I meant them. Well, there is a him. It’s a him and a her. Not that they’re together, it’s just… a him, plus a her. Two. Of them. Not just the him.”

Looking bewildered, her mother shook her head and turned to leave. “Well, have fun, kiddo. Just be back before bedtime. And I really wish you’d do something about your room…”

Her long-suffering sigh as Rarity slammed the door was the only answer given.

*L*L*L*

Rarity sulked on the edge of her bed. “My room isn’t messy, it’s just… colorful. It’s not like I don’t know where everything is. If it was all put away, how would I find anything?”

She sighed, fiddling with the satin strap of one slipper. “I can’t wait until I move to Canterlot and start my very own fashion empire.”

She could picture it now: a huge marble building adjacent to the Castle itself; gleaming and magnificent. Ponies would come from all over Equestria just to buy her designs. She would recline on a velvet couch, dressed in the most elegant silk robes in all Equestria, sipping sarsaparilla and occasionally jotting down new designs while admirers waited on her, leg and hoof.

She thought of Spike, and her dreamy smile grew. She didn’t know what it was about him- by all rights, he should terrify her. He was a dragon, after all. Ponies didn’t interact with dragons as much as they did with buffalo or griffins or any of the other intelligent races. Dragons were… fierce. They were… well, Rarity didn’t actually know much about dragons. She had never considered that idea that she might find one handsome, of all things. But the little unicorn had a special affinity for beauty, and especially for gems, and in her young eyes, Spike was exotic and wonderful.

Not to mention, he had treated her like such a gentledrake. All the colts in Ponyville were so rough-and-tumble, so uncultured. Rarity had never cared to associate with them. She was a long-time aficionado of romance, of fairy tales in which fillies were swept off their hooves by chivalrous princes. She dreamed of the day when a sophisticated Canterlot stallion would come to whisk her into a happily-ever-after.

True, Spike wasn’t a prince. Or even a pony. Yet Rarity was willing to ignore her usual impossibly high standards in favor of the green-and-purple dragon. She was determined that he would be her prince.

And Rarity knew just how she was going to do it, too. She was an observant filly, and noticed many things that others overlooked. She had noted the bond between Spike and the other filly: Twilight. Rarity had deduced that the quickest way to Spike was through his charge.

Not that Rarity was going to use her. Rarity wasn’t at all malicious, and she genuinely felt that anypony who was a friend of Spike’s must be worth getting to know. She felt happy at the thought of not only a Prince Charming, but a sophisticated (unlike most of her Ponyville friends) filly her own age. And Twilight was a unicorn, at that. There weren’t many other unicorns in the largely Earth pony town, and it was always nice to have somepony to relate to about magic.

Rarity glanced at the clock. It was almost time to leave. Excitement bubbled up in her as she made a few last-minute adjustments. Teeth- clean. Hair- fix a few stray strands here and flatten it there; done. Opalescence- fed. Band-aids- applied to cat scratches. And just a dab of perfume behind the ears- perfect. Rarity was ready to go.

"Tonight is going to be perfect."