• Published 27th Sep 2012
  • 1,391 Views, 23 Comments

Cousins - TheAlmightySage



Pinkie Pie decides to have a reunion with her three favorite cousins and maybe one not so favorite.

  • ...
5
 23
 1,391

It began in the rain

Cousins

"It's raining! It's pouring! The old mare is snoring!", Pinkie Pie sang aloud as she pounced from puddle to puddle splashing as much as possible, "She bumped her head and couldn't get up in the morning!"

Pinkie giggled as she pranced in place splashing in the cool summer rain puddles.

"Pinkie, what are you doing in the rain?", a familiar voice questioned with even more familiar confusion.

Pinkie glanced up from the puddle and grinned at Twilight, who watched with a perplexed look from the library's kitchen window.

"Oh hi Twilight. Just enjoying the summer rain", Pinkie answered as she hopped out of the rain puddle and hopped towards the window.

"Well that's one way to enjoy the rain", Twilight smiled at her friend's silly behavior.

"Plus it's a free shower. Although I forgot my soap this time", Pinkie said as she tapped her chin considering the options of going back to Sugar Cube Corner to get her bubblegum scented and flavored soap on a rope.

Twilight meanwhile just shook her head at her friend with an amused smile before an idea struck her.

"Oh Pinkie wanna come in for some hot chocolate?"

"You betcha!"

"Okay just let me get the door for you", Twilight said as backed up from the window to turn and go open the door for Pinkie, but instead she turned only to end up nose to nose with a grinning Pinkie.

"PINKIE!", Twilight nearly shrieked as back peddled into the sink a faint blush across her cheeks.

"Yes, Twilight?", Pinkie replied nonchalantly.

"When did? How?", Twilight sputtered as she glanced from the window to a perfectly dry Pinkie.

"Well duh, you invited me in silly", Pinkie giggled in response as if it was the most natural and perfectly logical explanation in the world.

Twilight blinked then rubbed her forehead with a sigh.

'It's fine. It's fine Twilight. Just Pinkie being her usual physics defying self. Don't think about. Don't think about it.'

The purple mare repeated her mantra in her head as she rubbed away the starting twinges of a headache. Only to be derailed by the sound of various cabinets being opened.

"Pots are in the third bottom cabinet from the sink Pinkie", Twilight replied to the unasked question without so much as opening her eyes.

"Thanks!" Pinkie chirped appreciatively.

'Well at least I'm getting used to Pinkie's cooking ingredient kleptomania. Granted I did start this.'

Twilight chuckled as she watched Pinkie set the pot on the stove pour the milk into the pot and set the dial with a baker's practiced ease, but still eyed the dial with a hefty amount of concentration for the perfect simmering temperature.

"I got a new type of hot chocolate mix a few days ago I've been wanting to try. Although I've never heard of the brand before", Twilight said as she pulled the box from the top cabinet levitating a yellow box with the words "The Dalokohs Bar Hot Chocolate Mix" written in bold blue letters with the assurance of "IS DELICIOUS!!" beneath the name for Pinkie to examine.

"Oh I know that brand! It's just like the box says", Pinkie grinned as she stood on her hind legs one hoof on her hip the other pointing dramatically as she intoned, "'IS DELICIOUS!'", in a thick Moscowvian accent.

Twilight sat there blinking for a moment torn between telling her friend the severity of her grammatical error or asking how Pinkie even knew how to do a near perfect Moscowvian accent. Instead Twilight settled for the most reliable way to avert a Pinkie Pie induced mental quantum lock catatonic state:

"So it is better than the regular brands?"

Ignore any and all paradoxes and push forward.

"Oh you betcha it is", Pinkie beamed as she took the box from Twilight and added two perfectly precise cups of Dalokohs Bar Hot Chocolate Mix to the warming milk in the pot.

"So whatcha been doing on your rainy day Twilight?", Pinkie asked as she idly stirred the hot chocolate.

"Well with Spike away at Summer Dragon Camp I decided to review some alchemy journals", Twilight responded with a smile always happy to share her knowledge, "I've been debating on testing the probability of creating a teleportation potion," Twilight finished as she pulled a pair of mugs from the cabinet with her telekinesis.

"Ooh sounds like a great way to set off a surprise party!", Pinkie practically beamed, "Just imagine! I could set up a party then get the guest honor to drink the potion and ZAP they would be in the middle of the bestest decorated party room and be totally surprised because I set up far far away where nopony couldn't sneak peeks at the party before its ready!", Pinkie said as she excitedly stirred the pot of milk chocolate confectionary concoction.

Twilight blinked a few times processing the proposition her hyper friend had made, "Well Pinkie it's just conjecture at this point. I'm not even sure I could make the potion."

"Aww come on Twilight", Pinkie glanced back at her bookworm friend as she stirred the hot chocolate, "You're like the smartest smarty pants pony in Ponyville. I'm sure you could figure it out."

Twilight blushed a bit at the compliment, "Well with enough time I probably could figure out how to make a teleportation potion, but right now it's iffy at best," Twilight stated with a smile as she held out the mugs to be filled.

Pinkie however had paused halfway through dunking the ladle into the chocolate mix as her ear twitched a bit as she looked at Twilight with a slightly blank stare as if lost in thought.

"Um Pinkie?", Twilight looked her friend over with some concern.

Pinkie blinked rapidly then shook her head a bit, "Huh? Oh sorry Twilight you just reminded me of one of my cousins", Pinkie explained before she resumed filling the mugs with the piping hot chocolate.

"How did I...wait you have extended family?", Twilight inquired with a slightly surprised look.

"Well yeah I have like four cousins I used to hang out with a whole lot before I moved to Ponyville", Pinkie explained as she followed Twilight to the kitchen table.

"Really?", Twilight asked as she sat at the table with Pinkie, "What are they like, if you don't mind me asking."

While Twilight had given up on figuring out many of the mysteries that were the pink party pony. The majority of the few questions she did wonder about were concerned with Pinkie's family. Since it was a topic Pinkie herself never really brought up and sometimes even avoided in conversation. As such Twilight, while curious, was never really sure how to approach the apparently sensitive topic. So any information that Pinkie was willing to share was definitely worth listening to .

Pinkie squinted looking up at the ceiling for a moment as she sat at the table with her hot chocolate, "Well there's my cousin Surprise for one. She's a perky white pegasus with a blonde mane and very excitable, but she's not as much into parties as I am", Pinkie explained before siping on her hot chocolate.

Twilight was listening to Pinkie's descriptions with quite a bit of interest although, "Um excitable?", the thought of pony being "excitable" by even Pinkie standards was a bit concerning.

"Oh yeah she's a bit wacky, but she's a very good pony. Her last letter said she was working at a joke shop in Cloudsdale. She also likes sweets like me and my other cousins!"

"And your other cousins?", Twilight ventured after taking a sip of her hot chocolate, "Wow this is really good."

Pinkie nodded with a giggle, "Told ya it was a delicious brand," then down the rest of her hot chocolate in one gulp.

Pinkie hummed as she got and refilled her mug. Twilight continue sipping on her mug waiting for Pinkie to sit back down before trying to prompt more about her family.

"So you have three other cousins that used to spend a lot time with you and your sisters?"

"Yeppers, my other cousin is a real smarty pants. Kinda like you Twilight except she's an earth pony. She even has a small solution finding service she runs with her assistant", Pinkie explained before pausing to sip on her hot chocolate.

"Solution finding service?", asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah ponies send her questions and problems and she figures out how to fix 'em for a small fee."

"Huh, that sounds like a pretty good business", Twilight replied as she took a mental note to look it up later, "So what's her name?"

"Oh right. Her name is Pinkie Pie, just like me and we're about the same age, but I'm a couple months older", Pinkie explained as Twilight got up to refill her mug.

"Wait you both have the same name?", Twilight asked as she refilled her own mug mentally noting they were already half way through the small pot and that Pinkie would probably leave a short time after it was emptied, "Wouldn't that be confusing?"

"Well it's a Pie family tradition that any pink filly born into the Pie family is to be named Pinkie", Pinkie explained as Twilight sat back down, "But like you said Twilight that would cause all sorts of confusion with multiple Pinkies at the family meets and reunions so we usually use nicknames for the younger fillies who are also named Pinkie."

"Wow that's pretty clever", Twilight smiled at the rather logical explanation.

"Yeppers peppers it is", Pinkie chirped with a nod, "Her nickname is Solution Pie, since she was always good at figuring out solutions."

"Well that makes sense", Twilight giggled.

"Then there's my other cousin Pinkie. She's also an earth pony. Her nickname is Hot Blooded Pie or HB for short.", Pinkie grinned as she explained thinking back on some of the adventures she, her sisters, and cousins used to have.

"Hot Blooded? How'd she get that nickname?", Twilight asked before sipping down her hot chocolate.

"Well HB has always been a very um", Pinkie tapped her chin trying to think of an appropriate word as she remembered a particularly hot blooded incident involving the cry of "SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE" after Surprise was teased once about her indulgence of chocolate and her weight and the resulting guttural screams and a cloud cannon launched piƱata offensive, "Um let's just say she's a very intense pony at times."

'Why does that make me a bit nervous?', Twilight thought as she blinked a few times at that description.

"Well she's not a bad pony, just very intense", Pinkie explained while toying her empty mug between her hooves, "Mind if I get the last of the hot chocolate Twilight?"

"Go ahead Pinkie", Twilight smiled, "I've had my fill already, although I'm craving a sandwich now."

Pinkie giggled as she got up and trotted to the stove eyeing the hot chocolate pot with almost predatory glee. If the pot could have shuddered in fearful anticipation at the glee in Pinkie Pie's eyes it certainly would have.

"Wait a second", Twilight tapped her chin a few times thinking back to a movie Rainbow Dash had gushed about for an hour last month, "Hot blooded as in a reference to the character type in those Neighpony anime movies that uses the same name?"

"Oh yeah that's for sure", Pinkie laughed as she tipped the pot to get the very last drop of hot chocolate into her mug, "HB kinda picked her own nickname. At one of the Pie family reunions she showed us one of those big action packed Neighpony anime movies then declared herself Hot Blooded Pinkie Pie. Everpony pretty much agreed it fit her so the name stuck", Pinkie explained before she down the rest of her hot chocolate.

"Huh sounds her and Rainbow Dash would get along if they could spend time together. Although I'd rather meet your cousin Solution Pie", Twilight chuckled then looked to see Pinkie frozen mid stride to the sink, "Um Pinkie? You okay?"

Pinkie Pie stayed stock still as Twilight got up to slowly trotting to her side her concern growing.

"Pinkie are you okay?", Twilight asked with genuine concern as nudged Pinkie with a hoof.

Pinkie Pie slowly turned her head to face Twilight. Twilight took a step back as a grin slowly spread from ear to ear on Pinkie's face as she started shaking Twilight felt her concern slowly replaced by panic as she finally realized what was happening.

Twilight had only heard about this particular form Pinkie's excitable nature and was very doubtful her library would survive. The tension growing simultaneously in Pinkie and the atmosphere as her grin stretched into pure joy.

"Oh"

"Pinkie", Twilight said warily.

"My"

"Pinkie please don't..."

"OH MY GOSH TWILIGHT THAT'S A SUPER DUPER IDEA!!!", Pinkie shrieked in pure joy as she bounced around the kitchen like rubber ball fired from a potato gun.

Twilight, for her part, reacted quite promptly.

"Oh dear sweet Celestia!", Twilight yelped as she ducked for cover, "Pinkie calm down!"

"WE CAN ALL MEET HERE!!"

"Pinkie!"

"I CAN SHOW THEM PONYVILLE!!"

"Pinkie Pie!"

"We can have a Super Pinkie Pie Party!!", Pinkie squeed as she hopped on place on top of the kitchen table.

"PINKIE PIE!", Twilight shrieked in desperation.

"Sorry Twilight I can't stay and play the Shouting Game!", Pinkie declared as she bounded towards the door, "I have too much planning to do!"

"Planning for what!?", Twilight fumbled on her hooves as she tried to catch up to Pinkie panting as she made it to the open door only to see a pink blur darting to SugarCube Corner.

"Planing for what?", Twilight panted softly to herself.

Glancing to her mailbox Twilight saw the red flag waving in the light breeze in the "mail received" position.

Twilight was still confused on what just happened with Pinkie, but with a sigh she resigned to mark it under "Pinkie being Pinkie" category at least for today as she levitated her open umbrella and went to pick up her mail. Twilight quirked an eyebrow as she pulled out only one letter in a soft pink envelope with a sticker of a rock on it and no return or sending address on it.

Twilight hummed in curiosity wondering what mail could or would be delivered on a Sunday. Twilight opened the envelope as she slowly trotted inside after slipping her umbrella into it's stand.

Twilight felt a cold dread creeping from her hooves up to her horn as she read the letter.

"No, no please. Oh merciful Faust please no", Twilight muttered as her eyes refused to interrupt the words in any other way than how they were written.

The letter read in smooth even hoofmareship simply this:

You're invited to the first ever Pinkie Cousins Reunion to be held at SugarCube Corner and Ponyville in general! No RSVP needed! No gifts needed. All food and refreshments will be provided.

Twilight let the letter drop as her telekinesis cut out from shock.

"We're doomed", Twilight muttered just before she fainted.

End of Chapter.