• Published 4th Jan 2023
  • 257 Views, 0 Comments

Tales of home - Peace Petal



Erratic portals have left Wind Whistler, Fizzy, Gusty, and Shady in a world that seems to be devoid of magic. But a pony named Patch knows a secret that may be the key to finally going home.

  • ...
 0
 257

Chapter Four

Everyone had many thanks to offer to Wind Whistler after she sent Discord off to Equestria. “What you did was very brave,” Star Catcher said.

“I’m glad somepony finally managed to manipulate Discord the way you did,” Starlight said. “I’m just sorry it wasn’t me.”

“Your quick thinking saved us again, Wind Whistler,” Galaxy said. Shady, Starglow, Dazzleglow, and Sunny added their thanks. Clover and Patch came to say goodbye to them. Gusty approached Wind Whistler last of all, her head down.

“I’m sorry I ever doubted you,” she said. “You’ve proven your loyalty to us time and again. You have a beautiful heart, Wind Whistler.”

“I forgive you,” Wind Whistler said. “And thank you.”

Dazzleglow opened a portal for them. They couldn’t see through its rainbow colors, but she said it would take them home. “I wish this adventure didn’t have to end,” Fizzy said.

“There’ll be plenty of adventures waiting for us at home,” Gusty said.

“I’m so happy to be going home,” Shady said.

“You’ll have to fill me in on everything,” Galaxy said.

Wind Whistler pictured the rest of the friends—Paradise, Ribbon, Posey, Whizzer, Truly, Buttons, Lickety Split, Surprise, Sweet Stuff, and so many others. She hoped desperately that this time these portals finally worked right. “If ever you need me, I am indebted to you,” Dazzleglow said. “Just call my name, and I’ll come.”

“Thank you,” Wind Whistler said. “Together.” She, Fizzy, Gusty, Shady, and Galaxy all stepped through the portal in unison.

* * *

The air was warm, and the sun shone in Shady’s eyes. She heard birdsong, and a gentle breeze ran past her ears. They were in a green field, and a pink building rose in front of them. It was Paradise Estate.

A pony gasped. “Darlings, you’re back!” It was Heart Throb. “Everyone, the missing ponies are back!” Ponies started piling out of the estate, shouting excitedly. Pony after pony offered Shady tender greetings—Gingerbread, Sweet Stuff, Masquerade, Ribbon, Lickety Split…

“You’ll have to tell me everything that happened,” Paradise said, green eyes gleaming. She loved a good story. “But rest first. Welcome home.” The ponies started filtering back into the estate, including Gusty, Wind Whistler, Fizzy, and Galaxy. But Shady lingered outside. She laid down in the soft, sweet grass, still laced with dew. The anxiety of their nerve-racking adventure drifted away as her muscles relaxed. She breathed in deeply, catching the scent of grass and moist soil. She was home.

* * *

Wind Whistler sat under a cottonwood tree, watching a stream run by. A day had passed since their return to Paradise Estate. But she still had a lot to think about.

She couldn’t know for certain that she had done the right thing with Discord. What if that was some other version of Discord, like how they had met multiple Pinkie Pies? Or what if things didn’t turn out as expected, if Discord wasn’t reformed, if Twilight and her friends couldn’t stop him? Even if everything worked out as it had in the history books, the ponies of Equestria would suffer under his reign of chaos. That suffering was Wind Whistler’s burden.

She heard hoofsteps in the fallen leaves behind her. She turned her head. It was Fizzy. “Hi, Wind Whistler,” she said.

“Hello, Fizzy,” Wind Whistler said. An image flashed through her mind of Fizzy being jerked about by puppet strings, using her magic to hurt Gusty. Wind Whistler turned back to the stream.

“Whatcha doing?”

“Just thinking.”

“Hey, um…” Fizzy started, then paused. “Can I think with you?”

“Technically, an impossibility, unless you found a way to switch your bubble magic with Ribbon’s telepathy,” Wind Whistler said. “But there’s no reason you can’t sit with me.”

“Okay,” Fizzy said, sitting next to Wind Whistler, facing the stream.

Discord’s terrible display of power was a reminder how fragile their lives were. Just because they were home didn’t mean they were totally safe; dangerous and powerful beings roamed all over Ponyland. Wind Whistler had narrowly escaped with her life in some of their encounters. Any adventure could be their last.

She had put this off for years. But Fizzy was here, with her, now. There was no time like the present. “Fizzy, I have a confession to make,” Wind Whistler said. She turned to face Fizzy and forced herself to make eye contact. Eye contact had always been hard for Wind Whistler, but especially with Fizzy’s enchanting eyes.

“For many years now, we’ve been together,” Wind Whistler said awkwardly. “And, what I’m trying to say is… Well, you and I…” Her heart rate had jumped, her knees were shaking, and she was sweating. She wanted to take to the sky and bolt away, as though she were in peril. But she forced out the words. “My fondness for you extends beyond platonic attraction, I think we complement each other, and logic suggests we would be quite successful together in a committed relationship.”

Wind Whistler watched Fizzy’s reaction nervously. Fizzy blinked and cocked her head. “What?” she said.

Wind Whistler quivered. Maybe it wasn’t too late to give up? But she forced herself to try again. “Fizzy, I’m asking you if you want to be my marefriend,” she said weakly.

Fizzy’s eyes sparked with a pink light and she gasped. “Really?” she said excitedly. “I’ve been wanting to ask you the same thing for years!” Wind Whistler gaped at her in disbelief. “But I was afraid I’m too dumb for a pony like you.”

“Fizzy, you’re perfect!” Wind Whistler said. Fizzy leaned forward and kissed Wind Whistler's lips. At that moment, it was statistically likely that Wind Whistler was the happiest pony in the multiverse.

Author's Note:

Yay, they're home! And WhistlePop is finally a thing! Thank you for sticking with me through this protracted journey.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment