• Published 18th Jun 2022
  • 5,905 Views, 2,096 Comments

Looking Glass - Hiver



Nocturnis is growing, things are peaceful and Princess Luna is coming to visit. Things are looking good for Page!

  • ...
19
 2,096
 5,905

Chapter 9

I poked my head carefully into the lab. Glanced around, a shield at the ready.

Nothing exploded or looked like it would, "Is it clear?"

Midnight poked her head out from the other room where they kept the books, "is what clear?"

"The lab. Nothing will shrink me or explode me or something?"

Midnight stepped out in the main room, "No, just get in here," she said, rolling her eyes.

Pushing the door open, I slipped inside, "So, what's up?" I asked as I looked hesitant at a bottle of bubbling purple liquid sitting on the table.

"Don't worry, that's an experiment for enchanted wine," Midnight said, "It's to always keep carbonation."

"Oh," I said and relaxed, "So it worked?"

Midnight made a small sour face as she walked up next to me, "A little too well. It never loses carbonation."

"So, wasn't that the point?"

"Even after you drink it."

"...Oh."

That sounded unhealthy.

…Wonder what they tested it on?

"Anyway, that's not what I wanted to talk to you about," Midnight said and ignited her horn, causing several scrolls with charts to float out of the book room, "I wanted to fill you in on the readings from the dome."

I looked at her in slight alarm, "Anything wrong?"

She shook her head, "No. It seems stable. But as Twi has been too busy to check up on it," she said, smiling at me, "I figured I should keep an eye on it and thought you would like a report."

"...Sorry, we kind of heaped all of that on you, didn't we?" I asked with a small frown and shifted my wings, "Sorry. Didn't mean to do that."

She stuck her tongue out at me, "Relax, you all have Luna visiting. You all deserve some time off."

"So do you."

"I have been. Cut most work other than checking the readings for the last couple of nights," Midnight admitted with a shrug, "But it's really fascinating. Getting a lot of things we didn't with the first smaller one."

"Oh? Like?"

She floated one of the scrolls onto the table and flattened it out, "Well, for one thing, the-"

The door opened to interrupt her and Talon walked in, carrying a stack of books, "Here are the books you wanted!"

"Thank you," Midnight said, shooting him a smile, "Put them on the table?"

"Sure thing!"

I looked after the dragon for a second, "I swear, he’s a little bit taller everytime I look," I told her quietly.

"He's growing," Midnight answered softly, "Still a baby dragon, but... he's growing faster than I am now."

So was Spike.

Wonder how big they'd get, some dragons were absolutely massive.

Talon returned to the main room to join us, "...Page, you have a minute?" he asked as he got close.

"Sure," I said and smiled at him, "What's up, Talon?"

"I have been thinking," he said and glanced at Midnight, "I want to join the guard."

I blinked at him in surprise, "Really? Why?"

"Because I want to help my home," he said and then looked nervously at Midnight, "I know I help out around here, but I could do a lot more keeping the village safe there. I'm strong, not smart like you. All I can do here is fetch things and hold a wrench. I could do a lot of good in the guard."

I glanced at Midnight. She looked thoughtfully at him,

"...I don't know," she said after several long moments, "The guard can mostly fly, you don't have wings."

"Plenty of earth ponies and unicorns in the guard too. Neither do they."

Midnight didn't look happy, "It's dangerous."

"Everything here is dangerous!"

I felt a small tremble beneath my hooves and I glanced at Midnight. Nope, not her. No flowing mane nor glowing eyes.

Talon turned to me, "Please? You know I could do a lot of good there."

"Talon, you're not old enough to-" Midnight started to say before he interrupted her.

"I'm older than some of the ponies in the guard! I'm only six years younger than you!"

And that's my cue to duck out of this before it get wor-

The vibrations got worse before a giant blue whirling portal opened in the air above us.

I had just enough time to look up in surprise before it sucked us in.