• Published 18th Jun 2022
  • 5,905 Views, 2,096 Comments

Looking Glass - Hiver



Nocturnis is growing, things are peaceful and Princess Luna is coming to visit. Things are looking good for Page!

  • ...
19
 2,096
 5,905

Chapter 35

Rainbow Dash better never find out about this. I had made a monumental discovery and the blue pegasus better not find out about it or she'll never forgive me.

My existence had butterflied away a Daring Do book.

Daring Do and the Prancing Mummy.

What’s even worse, it was pretty damn good. Might be one of her best ones actually. Yeah, she’d be pissed if she ever found out.

On the other hoof… maybe I should bring a copy for her. That’d earn me some major points, that could be useful.

If nothing else, hearth's warming present.

…Does bringing a book from a different universe and publishing it in one where the original author still exist but has not written that book specifically count as plagiarism, fanfiction or copyright?

I bet Daring Do would like one though. Bring two. One for Rainbow and one for Daring. Surely it’s not piracy if Daring publishes her own book.

I turned the page and kept reading in the light of the light of my horn, the moon high in the sky outside the window.

The door suddenly opened sharply. It didn’t quite slam open but it was definitely not a polite opening of doors.

Princess Celestia didn’t quite storm inside, but her shoes clicked against the floor in a decidedly annoyed way, “Prince Blank Page,” she said as the doors closed behind her, not quite hiding the two guards taking position outside, “We have matters to discuss.”

“Oh thank Celestia,” I said and closed the book and looked up at her, “Can you please talk some sense into her!”

Celestia paused and blinked at me in surprise, “What?”

I put the book down and jumped off the couch, “Midnight! She wants to come back to my world, tell her she can’t!”

“You… don’t want her to come?”

“No!” I said and sighed, “Damn it, I knew I would be blamed for this! No, I don’t want her to come. It’s too important that she stays here!”

Celestia frowned slightly, “You think so?”

I sighed and nodded, “I think so,” I said and shook my head, “...It’s too important. The elements need her, the… the thestrals need decursing. Her friends, her family…”

Celestia regarded me for a long moment, “She said you supported her.”

Maneuver.

“I do,” I sighed and stomped by hoof, “I have to, she’s my friend. I want her to be happy. Her staying here… she won’t be. Not at first. And a lot of ponies back home will miss her. Tempest… buck, Tempest… what the buck will I tell her...”

“Her marefriend.”

Ready strike.

I nodded and shifted my wings, looking out the window, “Yes,” I said, “...Damn. Tempest… that mare got knocked down when she was a little filly and life had done nothing but kick her while she was down until she met Midnight.”

Celestia didn’t answer for several long moments, turning to look out towards the moon before she looked at me again, “And you still wish for me to talk her into staying.”

Taking a deep breath, I then let it out and walked up to stand next to her, looking up at the moon, “Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because the happiness of a few ponies is nothing against the safety of a world,” I told her as I looked up at the light of the moon, “Even if it’s ponies I know.”

“That’s a cold way of viewing things.”

I looked up at her with a slight smile, “It’s what you taught me.”

Chink in unbreakable armor, angle blade, slip through guard.

Celestia didn’t quite flinch. Instead she turned her head and looked up towards the moon again.

She didn’t say anything for several long moments, “Tell me about Tempest Shadow?” she finally asked.

Heart pierced.

So I did. I told her of how she joined us after the invasion. How she and Midnight got closer. How they moved in together when we moved to Nocturnis. Of her honor and sense of duty.

How life had absolutely bucked her in the face at every turn. That she had still gotten back onto her hooves and refused to back down.

Celestia mostly just listened, just asking the occasional question. Finally she nodded, “Thank you, Page,” she said, “but it is getting late.”

I nodded, “Good night, Princess. Sweet dreams,” I said, giving her a small bow.

“Good night, Page,” Celestia said quietly and left, the door closing behind her.

I took a deep breath before letting it out. It was a dangerous game to play with Celestia this way. Any Celestia. They were too damn good. But for My Ponies, I’d use any advantage I had and those included Midnight and Tempest. And the Yetis didn’t call me the Prince of Lies for nothing.

Because Midnight was right. They didn’t strictly need her here.

What they needed, what my bats here needed, was a point to gather around, to help gather them and in a way I didn’t think even Luna could.

After this long, they wouldn’t trust anypony but another bat.

So it’s time I ready another weapon and ruin the life of another pony to do it.