• Published 1st Apr 2022
  • 911 Views, 10 Comments

It Happened One April Foal's Day - Dreadnought

  • ...
1
 10
 911

Epilouge

“You did a sonic rainboom!” exclaimed Rainbow Dash. Her reaction was equal parts shocked, impressed, and horrified.

“Yeah,” replied Applejack.

“That’s amazing sis!” cried Apple Bloom.

“Eeyup,” added Big Mac.

“Wow...,” Rainbow Dash fought for the words, “just... wow.”

A smiled crept across Applejack’s face as she relived her moment of glory. “Yeah, it was... pretty amazin.’ Like nothin’ Ah’ve ever experienced before in mah life.”

“I can’t believe it,” remarked Rainbow Dash. She rubbed her head. “That must be that loud noise that I heard yesterday when I was feeding the pigs.” Reflecting on what Applejack had said a bit more, she perked up and asked, “So were all the recruits impressed by the awesomeness of Rainbow Dash?”

Applejack’s smile faded, “’Bout that.” She awkwardly rubbed the back of her neck and ruffled her wings.

Sensing something wrong, she demanded, “What happened?”

“Well, Ah did the sonic rainboom all right. Ah just... didn’t know it was it wasn’t supposed to be performed at low altitude.”

“You didn’t!”

Applejack nodded, “Afraid Ah did, Sugarcube.”

Apple Bloom cocked her head, “Is that a bad thing?”

“You have no idea,” responded Rainbow Dash. Then, with a sigh, she asked, “So, what’s the damage?”

“Well, Ah sent half the cadets tah the hospital. Lot of the buildings were damaged. An’ Ah hope y’all weren’t attached tah the new cloudbank surroundin’ the Academy.”

Rainbow Dash rubbed her head. Now she definitely had a headache. “So, Spitfire must have been pretty pissed.”

“Language,” reprimanded Granny Smith.

“Eeyup,” confirmed Applejack. “Gave me a right good chewin’ out. Good thin’ there was a weather emergency.”

Rainbow Dash looked up, “Weather emergency?”

“Eeyup. Me an’ Misty had to wrangle up some ornery clouds.”

“Storm clouds?”

“Eeyup.”

“Big?”

“Eeyup.”

“Black?”

“Eeyup.”

“Get struck by lightning?”

“Eeyup.”

Now Rainbow Dash burst out laughing.

“Ain’t that funny. Ah got hit by this big old’ bolt.”

Rainbow Dash kept laughing. “What did you do? Approach it from the bottom?”

“Eeyup.”

Rainbow Dash howled even more. “First thing you learn on the weather team is to never approach a black storm cloud from below.”

“Well, if’n yah didn’t notice, Ah’ve never been on the weather team.”

“But Rainbow Dash has, and you look just like Rainbow Dash,” noted Apple Bloom.

“About that,” began Applejack as a thought struck her. “How ’bout you start mixin’ the antidote to the polyjuice potion? Being Rainbow Dash was fun an’ all, but Ah’ve got chores tah do that require an earth pony, not a pegasus.”

Now Apple Bloom imitated her big sister. “Yeah, about that....”

“What happened?” demanded Applejack.

“Well... Ah don’t know how to break this... so Rainbow Dash will tell yah,” she quickly finished.

Rainbow Dash sighed, “You see, I got worried. The prank was to have two Applejacks, not one. I didn’t know where you were. I began to wonder if maybe... maybe when I took the polyjuice it made you disappear.”

“Polyjuice doesn’t work like that,” interjected Apple Bloom.

“Yeah, but I didn’t know what happened to Applejack. So, while Apple Bloom was at school, I tried to make the antidote. Let’s just say it didn’t work out so well.”

“She an’ half the kitchen got covered in green slime,” explained Granny Smith.

“Eeyup,” added Big Mac.

“So, what are you sayin’?” asked Applejack.

Apple Bloom looked sheepish, “Rainbow Dash used up all the ingredients for the antidote, so Ah can’t make any.”

Applejack groaned and rubbed her head with her left wing. “Ah’m stuck like this?” bemoaned the blue pegasus.

“You wish,” retorted Rainbow Dash.

Applejack looked up, “Yah know, yah are stuck being me as well.”

Rainbow Dash looked smug. “Zecora’s brewing the antidote as we speak. We can go get some whenever we want.”

“Good,” said Applejack with relief filling her voice. Looking at the table she said, “Ah’m starved,” as she took a seat next to Apple Bloom. “Say, no apples?”

Granny Smith said, “If’n y’all want apples, you can make yer own darn breakfast.”


Two earth ponies and a pegasus trotted through the Everfree Forest. Or rather an earth pony, a pegasus that’s really an earth pony pretending to be a pegasus, and an earth pony that’s really a pegasus pretending to be an earth pony, trotted through the Everfree Forest. After a brisk walk, the three arrived at the hollowed-out tree that served as a home for Ponyville’s resident zebra and potions master.

Apple Bloom approached and tapped on the door.

After a moment, the door swung open to reveal Zecora. She blinked in surprise, “Do my eyes deceive? Is that Rainbow Dash I perceive?”

“Howdy, Zecora,” greeted the blue pegasus.

Taken aback, the zebra remarked, “The situation is most strange. I see Applejack has had a change.”

“Yeah, it’s kinda a long story...,” began Apple Bloom.

She deadpanned, “You don’t say, my young protégé?”

“Let’s just say things didn’t go according to plan,” added the orange earth pony.

“Yes I can tell, my potion performed well.” Zecora stepped back and opened the door wider, “Please come in I say, you three have come a long way.”

The three entered the house and the zebra closed the door behind them....

After half an hour of explaining, with occasional pauses to allow Rainbow Dash or Applejack to get their laughter at their doppelganger’s plight out of their system, Zecora was fully caught up.

“So,” summarized Rainbow Dash, “we need two does of polyjuice antidote.”

“Yes, the antidote I have made, but first I must be paid,” said Zecora.

“What do I owe you? Five bits?” asked Rainbow Dash as she rummaged around for her bag of bits.

“If you want my brew, five hundred is due.”

“What!” cried Rainbow Dash as Applejack exclaimed, “Five Hundred!”

Zecora chuckled, “A secret I will share my friend, my profit is made on the back end.”

Rainbow Dash sighed, “Well, I can cover that. Thank goodness Friday was payday.”

Applejack covered her face with her wing again. “Sugarcube, there’s somethin’ y’all should know.”

“What?”

“You know all the damage Rainbow Dash caused with the sonic rainboom?”

“Yeah?”

“Spitfire is dockin’ y’all’s paycheck tah pay fer the damages.”

“How much?”

“All of it.”

Rainbow Dash groaned as she brought an orange hoof to massage away her headache. “Buck!”

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed it. Be sure to check out some of my other stories.

V/R,

Dreadnought

Comments ( 9 )

I do like that cover. ❤️

should be a bit longer and explore the changes a bit more hehehehe

came for that adorable cover art, stayed for the adorably funny story hehe

11520674
Glad you enjoyed it!

Sequel? Perhaps with Twilight?

11595473
Hmm.... I'll have to give it some thought. I do have an idea kind of in the same vein, but not with polyjuice potion.

11595790
Ooooo what's the idea? :)

11601583
I'm not going to spoil the surprise. :raritywink: but I will say that it revolves around Fluttershy. :fluttershbad:

Login or register to comment