• Published 21st Oct 2021
  • 1,967 Views, 45 Comments

The Backup Pair - Mica



Pipp Petals loses her contact lenses. And her self-confidence.

  • ...
4
 45
 1,967

Epilogue

Closer to 1pm, there’s a knock on the door.

“Hi Pipp!”

Even if Pipp weren’t wearing her glasses, she could recognize that voice and clinking of friendship bracelet beads from a mile away. “Izzy! Ohmygosh, what’re you doing here?”

“I’m here as part of the Unicorn Delegation for the pancake luncheon thingy, but I wanted to stop by first and say hi!” She stares at Pipp’s glasses with curiosity. “Th…those are new.”

“Actually they’re not.” Pipp chuckles to herself. “They look pretty hideous, don’t they?”

“Well, if you’re looking for a change…” Izzy pulls out a whole rack of glasses frames, seemingly out of thin air. “I make all my own fun glasses frames! I have heart-shaped ones, I have pink light-up ones, and ooh, ooh, these are my favorite!” The unicorn puts on a pair with thin, black round frames. “Claaaaassy, amirite?”

“Izzy, these are nice…but I need really heavy prescription lenses. What you have here are just fashion frames.”

Izzy slips off her fashion frames. “Oooh…well why didn’t you say that was your problem!? Unicorns get vision problems all the time, y’know! But since we got magic back, there’s a super easy fix!”

“What’s that?”

Izzy points to her horn. “Lasik surgery, of course!”

Author's Note:

I don't know what the hay this story is, but it's been a really rough past few weeks and I wanted to try to get a story out.

I myself have had prescription glasses since 3rd grade. Never worn contacts in my life.

A sequel/spinoff may be coming.

Comments ( 22 )

I've had prescription glasses for a while too. Shit sucks.

This was a great fic, though. Somewhat relatable for me.

Pipp with glasses would be cute

I'm not sure I would trust Izzy's Lasik

As somebody who has also worn glasses since the third grade, and who instinctively cringes at the *thought* of contacts, I kind of sympathize. And *seriously* have to warn Pipp about that offered solution - seriously, you've seen how that girl opens cans, right?

On a more serious note, glad that she had that revelation regarding "not becoming like them." That's something I've seen happen woefully often to people who've been bullied, even if I could never grasp doing it myself (I've had *visceral* reactions to class exercises that required attempting it, even in a role played situation, it's... kinda weird, I guess.) Catching yourself on that downslide is critical, and it's good to see her do it.

Izzy points to her horn. “Lasik surgery, of course!”

So... perhaps the laser death beam legend (from the movie) was all just a misunderstanding arising from a horrible, terrible medical accident. :raritydespair:

Thank you for sharing the enjoyable tale!

11022649
the bronies keep her alive by mouth-to-mouth resuscitation through enchanted body pillows :derpyderp1: :derpyderp2:

11022651
Remind me of that final destination death.

I tried contacts once. It didn’t work out.

11022721
Oh God please don't remind me of that that's still freak me out

Well then that was a certain interesting story and I never knew that Izzy knows how to do eye laser which that's pretty concerning well this was a pretty interesting story keep up the good work

I love it! I've had glasses long enough to forget I wear them... but I still remember being called four-eyes in primary school. Thankfully those name-callers have grown up now

11022614
At least she's more overall competent than Pinkie Pie was.
11022618
The can opening worked out great, remember?

11022614

I wouldn't trust Lasik in general. I've heard it works great at first but further down the road....your vision is shot to the point you'd need the Hubble space telescope to see.....Izzy's heart is in the right place though.

11023666
Someone should remake this with Pipp
11023699
Yeah, I remember being surprised when I first heard that lasics isn't actually permanent.
11023491
I would think ideally, you should ask the kid to choose the frames they like!

11023498
Yes.

In large part because the can was not an eyeball!

11023924

That makes sense....and I wouldn't trust Lasik ever.

Sometimes I think about getting contacts, but sticking a finger in my eye doesn't sound pleasant.

11083666
Perhaps. Some sort of highly reflective glass that washes out any image taken with a camera flash.

I also have had prescription glasses for that long. This was an amazing fic by the way :)

She probably needs to cancel the order to fire the delivery Pegasus? Maybe get her assigned to less critical and/or breakable stuff?
What with the revelation about not becoming a bully herself and all.

I tried contacts for a while.
It sucked, and I got an eye infection.
My eyes were frequently itchy, and having dry eyes is a bigger ordeal, since that can cause the contacts to fall out on their own.

Login or register to comment