• Published 10th Jan 2013
  • 835 Views, 9 Comments

The Stare, Malevolence of Evil - Peusterokos



The story of a young unicorn that discovers the strange and evil powers of The Stare.

  • ...
8
 9
 835

`...Mortal...`

The Stare: Malevolence of Evil

Chapter 4:
'…Mortal…’

Celestia’s sun was rising in the far beyond horizon as a new day was spawning. A rooster recognized this early routine. It gave a small cough and cleared its throat before starting his part of the job.

“COCKA DOODLE DOOOOOO-“*BANG*

“SHUT UP! WE KNOW ALREADY!” a shout was heard from a nearby house, gun fumes escaping through its windows.

Further away in Ponyville, the morning cries of the rooster were registered by Shadow Rush’s ear, swiveling around as his sleepy brain tried connecting the dots. The unicorn groggily opened his eyes, the sunlight flooding his blurry vision. He let out a half-assed groan before he stood up, rubbing his eyes with his hooves. After that his system had finally woken up and started functioning at one hundred percent capacity, he got out of his bed and made his way to the bathroom. He applied a hairbrush onto his head and a toothbrush on his teeth, straitening his messy mane as he brushed away any yellowing simultaneously. A few minutes later, he came out of the bathroom all cleaned and ready for his first day in Ponyville. It was then that he noticed that the second bed, the one next to his, had filled up since last night. It seemed that Zequus had came back late during the night. He then noticed there was a…second bump within the same bed?

(Oh of course he already found a mate.)

Shadow Rush came close to the bed and poked what he hoped was his friend Zequus. There was no answer. He continued poking, but there was no response in the exception of a few tired groaning, the tone of this voice confirming that it was a male. This bump definitely was Zequus after all. A sneaky idea came to Shadow’s head, as he leaned towards the lump that was a head.

“I am the Headless Horse. I will eat you.” he whispered in a haunting voice.

The effects were immediate. Zequus literally hopped out of the bed with his arms thrown way over his head, his eyes opened wide.

“I SURRENDER!”

After a few moments of empty staring at the wall, Zequus’ eye slowly turned towards Shadow Rush, confusion displayed all over his face. He looked to Shadow Rush, then to the lump inside his bed, and then back and forth without even moving his head. He laughed nervously, before the figure of a mare dizzily stood out from the bed sheets, looking completely lost as she seemed to be wincing in pain, all possibly due to a bad hangover.

“Well, this is awkward. I guess I’ll have to give some sort of explanation afterward.” Zequus said to Shadow Rush, as a bad poker face crept on his face.

“Get cleaned up. We are going out.” Shadow Rush replied to his disarrayed friend.
“As for you, I guess you can stay a bit longer until you are ready to leave.” he turned to the mare in the bed.

The mare dazed at the unicorn in front of her before slamming back down on the bed, rapidly snoring loudly

___________________________________________________________________________________________


-An hour later-

The two, Shadow Rush and Zequus, were now trotting down a street, heading down to Ponyville’s square. Ever since their departure, Zequus had been carrying an icepack and wearing a pair of dark sunshades on his head in a desperate attempt to wither down his hangover. They had not talked much since they left their apartment due to that, but Shadow Rush at least tried to keep somewhat of a conversation by commenting on things he saw as they walked down the street.

“So… where are we exactly going? As for I do wish that we find a place to sit, my head is just being killed by it. I don’t think that I can keep up if it goes on so doing.” Zequus said in a near mumble, actually composing a sentence despite his current state.

“Well, my first idea was to go to Ponyville’s library. Swiggie Pie last night did tell me that it’d be a good place to start, as apparently the librarian of that place is friendly and is a good friend of hers.” Shadow Rush replied to his hung over zebra friend.

“Uh huh, well I won’t do so well in helping you in some lecturing with my condition. Hopefully she’s friendly enough to give you a hoof with that, as I trust and hope in my prediction.”

“She did also mention that she is a helpful hoof. Surely she will be willing to do so Zequus.”

When the two turned the corner of the street, they saw a mob of angry ponies gathered around one character that was familiar from last night…

“THE END IS NEIGH, MY FELLOW PONIES! THE END IS NEIGH!” the pony was yelling out loud to the crowd while he held a poster with the words he was shouting written on it.

It was NoBark, and he was doing this crazy prophet announcing the doomsday thing. This was confirming what the bartender mare had told them last night: he was indeed completely insane!

Suddenly, Zequus’ face contracted into a sour and painful expression, hugging his entire head as he whimpered painfully. Oh no, NoBark’s rambling was only adding to the painful experience of a bad hangover that Zequus was having. Shadow Rush noticed that, and he was afraid that it would only become worse.

“Hey NoBark, stop your senseless rambling! You’re giving my friend enough of a hard time now that he’s hung over. Could you please give your speech somewhere else, or at least stop?” Shadow Rush shouted at the insane pony.

NoBark suddenly stopped his foretelling as he looked for the source of the voice. He finally found that it came from a grey unicorn, and his eyes went wide from the revelation of something that only he knew.

“THOU ARE THE MARKED ONE! Thou have been chosen by the harbinger of doom to be its next procession! Thou must leave this town now, pony! Leave, and never come back for your own sake and life!” he announced as if he was a wise pony in a tone full of certainty.

The mob had enough of him though. They threw him over their heads and carried him away in a surf of hooves.

“Thou are not coming out of this town the same thee came in, pony! Beware! BEWARE!” he shouted as he surfed on the hooves of the ponies below, before disappearing with the angry mob out of sight.

With him now gone, Zequus slowly stood back up again, his head still hugged by one hoof. Shadow Rush thanked the remaining ponies of the angry mob who stayed behind and asked what that last part was all about. They seemed to react strangely to that question of his, judging by their worried expressions. They mentioned to the young unicorn that it was nothing to worry about, while using poker faces that could not have even fooled a foal, before all of which quickly galloped away from the two. Zequus quickly thanked Shadow Rush for his action before they both continued their walk to the library. On the way though, Shadow Rush was thinking of what NoBark meant in his message. He could not understand what this old pony had against him for behaving in such a strange matter. He noted in his mind that he would investigate this character to get an in-depth understanding of his antics, and his claims of having encountered…the Weeping Filly.


Half an hour later, Shadow Rush and Zequus were now walking in circles in Ponyville’s square, not having a single clue in where the library’s locations were. Zequus was very insistent that Shadow Rush asked one of the natives for its whereabouts, but his friend was reluctant in his friend’s bidding. Eventually, Zequus’ complaining did get the better of him.

“Alright alright I’ll ask somepony!” he admitted, defeated by Zequus.

He looked around for a likely candidate out of the many ponies in the area that he would ask his question to. He found a pair of ponies walking together that seemed to be a good source of info and walked up to them.

“Hello, my name is Shadow Rush. My friend and I are new to town, and we seem to have either both lost ourselves completely and ended up in the wrong direction, or that we missed something that was obvious, as we’ve been looking for the town’s library. Where would it be?”

“Oh, the library is the big treehouse that is right behind your zebra friend.” one of the two happily replied to him and pointed the enormous tree behind him.

Shadow Rush turned around to look, and it was only now that he noticed that this tree was actually a structure built within it. He felt very stupid for missing something that was so obvious, as it literally stood out of the ordinary as thus. He thanked the couple and galloped back to Zequus.

“Well, it appears that the library is the tree that we are standing right in front of at this moment.” he told his friend.

“Wow.” Zequus said as he turned around to face it.
“Shall we now?”

“We shall.”

They went to the door and knocked on its thick wooden door together. They heard something going on inside that sounded like something had fell hard on a floor, followed by a multiple of things that also hit the floor.

“Come in, it’s open!...ow.” a muffled voice was heard inside.

The two colts opened the door and walked inside. They both took a look around the as they were amazed from what they saw. This seemed not just an ordinary library, but also seemed to also be a house, indicated by a stairway that led to an open bedroom on the second floor. It was just incredible how this place could be so big inside while it seemed the exterior showed otherwise!

The zebra took notice how his friend Shadow Rush was reacting: his eyes was filled with pure glee and awe at the sight of the many books. Books were stored in shelves made inside the tree while others were on actual ones. Many book chariots were also present, along with a few piles books stacked onto each other to form pyramids of all sizes. Shadow Rush hopped and giggled like a young filly as he fell into pure childish ecstasy. Zequus rolled his eyes to that, when he suddenly saw a small disordered pile of books move. He walked towards it, leaving behind his friend alone to his own little world as he investigated this curious pile. Before he could go near it, the pile let out a sudden groan of pain, before the head of a unicorn mare popped out. That must have been the sound they heard before coming in the library.

“Good morning. It seems that we walked inside at the wrong time like a bunch of goons. But may I ask if you choose to not dismiss, are you alright Miss?” Zequus asked the dazed mare.

She mumbled a few incoherent words before her senses all came together. She turned around too see the zebra that had talked to her. She quickly shook off the books on her and stood up.

“Yes, uh, yes I am fine. Good morning and welcome to Ponyville Library. I am Guilty Sparks, and I am its head and only librarian. How can I help you?” she answered back, her blush fading away quickly.

“Well me and my friend over there come from Canterlot, as we have been sent on a mission to research a…well…we could say a spell that has not been heard by a lot.” he motioned at his friend and back to him.

“Well then, I must say that I would be glad to help your research that you two have gotten yourselves…in…to.” she said as her sentence broke apart at that last part.

Shadow Rush was still busy looking around the library at that point, until Zequus cleared his throat. It was then that he finally had a look at her, his mood changing quickly from total awe to surprise as he looked at her. She looked messy after she had just gotten out of a pile of books covering her, but looked really…cute. He approached towards the two’s location, his path tilting him closer to her than his zebra friend. When he stopped his pace next to Zequus, Guilty Sparks and Shadow Rush were now looking at each other with interest, without even blinking. Zequus laughed nervously as the silence grew in the place.

“Well, huh, my name is Zequus, and this is indeed my friend. As I’ve said, we’re here t-“

“Guilty Sparks I suppose?” Shadow Rush asked her, with a hint of shyness in his voice.

“Y-Yes, that is me. And may I ask what is your name?” she asked back.

“My name is Shadow Rush. Nice to meet you.” he said back, with a genuine smile on his face as he blushed hard.

“Charmed.” she replied, returning the smile’s favor, along with the blush.

(Oh, great. The nerd has met another nerd. I can see where this is going…)

Zequus gave a cough, trying to get the attention of the two lovebirds before he became sick, whenever it was from the scene before him or the hangover pulsating in his head. It came to no success though.

“I suppose that I am feeling not good enough for helping you, Shadow. As for, I guess I will…uh, go outside have some fresh air before you two swallow…I MEAN UH, follow…what is needed to be done. He will, uh, inform you on what we need, as I will go outside and let you two breed- I MEAN READ. DOH, I’m going to be outside!” Zequus said awkwardly before disappearing for the exterior.

Shadow Rush and Guilty Sparks had not even noticed what the zebra had said, nor of his disappearance. Their eyes had not left each other’s ever since they had made acquaintance. Suddenly after what felt like an eternity for them, the two broke eye contact as they noticed they both looked like an apple from blushing.

“Yes, well like my friend Zequus said, we need a few things to continue our research upon.” Shadow Rush said to break the awkward silence.

“Well, you came to the right place then.” she trotted off towards a desk, where she sat behind and opened a thick tome.
“Which reviews would you be interested in looking for?”

“Well anything that has to do with the followings.” Shadow Rush pulled out a list.
“The Elements of Harmony, biographies on their bearers, criminal history of Equestria, ghost stories, the supernatural, ancient magic, references on the Everfree forest, cultural references of Ponyville, the history of Ponyville, spell history of Equestria and…I think that’ll do for today.” he finished, gasping for air after having to enumerate so many things.

“Wow, it has been a while that anypony has come here for such a demanding request on books. Let me see…” she said, impressed by his demands as she flipped the many pages of her reference book.
“Ah yes, I know where to look for those.” she closed her book and got up, walking towards the center of the library.

Guilty Sparks then used her magic to drag dozens of books at a time from all sides. She passed every single one in front of her, and placed the ones that she seemed to find acceptable for his demand on a pile as the other books were placed back to their original spot, while more books continuously flowing out of their shelves and were suspended in the air without stopping. Shadow Rush looked at the mare amazed as she could work so efficiently without breaking a sweat or not even looking what she was doing. She was just so incredible, and she knew her books…just like he did. Ever since they had met, he had noticed that he felt a crawling tingling sensation grow in his stomach.

“I must say, what kind of spell you are researching on to have made a list that is so demanding and diverse in books. It seems that it’s got to be special. Oh, maybe I should put ‘The Great Book of Diverse an-“

“-and Incredible Wild Life of the EverFree Forest.” Shadow Rush recited along with her.

The librarian gasped, and all the books that were held by her magic were dropped carelessly by her inattention. The light-orange coated unicorn then turned around to look at Shadow Rush, amazed by his knowledge of such a title that only a nerd like her…would have known. A large grin crept on her face and her magenta eyes shined gleefully. She appeared in front of him as if she had teleported or something. She took a large gulp of air to ready the following sequence that she had in mind.

“You know that book?” she asked in beaming interest.

“Yes I do! I loved that book as a foal!” he happily obliged to answer.

“Oh my goddess, I must have read that book over twelve times, and I still love reading it! What other scientific references do you know about?” she continued, as her nerdy side of her took the best of her. Not that it had ever mattered at this point.

It was then that they heard an ear piercing scream outside and a loud thud. The two’s connection was interrupted as they both turned their heads to look at the door. The figure of a pony stood at the door, and was just about to enter the place…

___________________________________________________________________________________________


-Previously, outside the library-

Zequus closed the door behind him. It was a close call. As ironic as it sounds, he could not stand the pheromones that were at work back in there. He just wasn’t the type to see a mare fall into a stallion’s arms and beg him to carry him far away, in a sweet couple kind of way. It made him feel all weird and awkward, if not even a bit nauseous to think about it. That was the last straw for him, as he preferred to carry his mares to his bed for a one night stand.

But the thoughts of his friend finding a mare of his interest and not suffer from his condition of usual awkwardness in their presence was a relief for his hopes in his friend. This made him happy, as he smiled and hoped for the best.

After these moments of happy thoughts, Zequus walked towards the bench nearby, sat on it, looked upon the sun, hoped for a dream to come true for his friend, and closed his eyes. He now waited for his friend to come out, not as how he came, but as a whole different colt.

A few minutes later, he heard a pony arrived. Zequus did not budge nor open his eyes. He heard the hoofsteps come closer and stop by him, before he felt something poke his shoulder at many repetitions. He still did not budge, as he wanted to keep his wise pony stance as it was. Then…

“Oy there lad. What are ya doin’? Getting’ ya daily dose o’blindness aye see? Or perhaps ya’ve gon’ blind already!” the voice said, before laughing heartily.

He recognized this voice as Swiggie Pie’s. By momentarily opening a slit for his eyes to see, he confirmed it as he saw the glimpse of her slightly curled mane and dark pink figure before shutting close his eyelids. He took a calm and deep breath and exhaled through his nose before turning his head to her.

“I have, no goal!” he said in a booming voice that a zebra could offer.

“Oh? Aye suppose that you’re her’ for somethin’ else then. Perhaps ya waitin’ for somepony t’come out?” she asked back, her head slightly tilting from the lack of comprehension.

“I am, waiting for no foal!” he replied, continuing his bizarre masquerade.

Swiggie Pie continued glaring down the mysterious Zequus. Although she was pressed in wanting to know what he was doing, the mare was now sort of an idea what he was referencing to. As for that, she thought the best would be to play along with his game.

“Alright then. What’s your name, an’ were do ya come from?” she asked, already giggling to what he might say.

“I have, no name. And I, come from no home.” he pressed on.

As this show made her grin in amusement as she now waited for him to say something. But it never did. She had waited after a long time for nothing. He instead kept on with his strange masquerade of a character she’d seen in a movie. Despite the fact that this could have been quite an amusing thing to go along with, this gag could only end with no actual goal to it.

“Ay've have enough o’ this.”

She grabbed his sunshades and pulled until the cords could not strain anymore. Before he could ask what she was doing, she let go of the glasses and they snapped on his face. Zequus screamed as the recoiled shades now strongly amplified his hangover. He grabbed his head with his forehooves, desperately trying to wither it down. In doing so, he quickly lost his balance. At an attempt to rebalance himself, Zequus flailed his limbs rapidly, but that was in vain as he plummeted onto the ground behind him. Swiggie Pie chuckled at this misfortune as she made her way towards the door.

___________________________________________________________________________________________


-Present-

Shadow Rush and Guilty Sparks were still anticipating for who was going to come through the door. Guilty Sparks was filled with curiosity, while on the other hoof Shadow Rush felt for some reason nervous as he waited. The door then finally opened, to present a mare that they both knew well by now: Swiggy Pie.

“Good mornin’, Guilty Sparks! An’ hi there Shadow Rush.” she said with glee in her voice.

The two blinked at the same time as their expectations were somewhat fooled as the room fell silent.

“You know her Shadow?” Guilty Sparks asked the unicorn

“Well yes. I believe that we have acquainted ourselves last night when Zequus and I arrived in town.” he answered back.

“Hah, are ya kiddin’ me? This lad there had th’scare o’ his life when aye told him th’Weepin’ Filly tale! Did he tell ya that he’s from Canterlot, an’ t’was sent here t’study The Stare?” Swiggie Pie bugged in as she wrapped Shadow Rush around one of her arms, bringing him closer and rubbed his head with her other hoof.

At the mention of both The Weeping Filly and The Stare, Guilty Sparks’ expression turned sour as she looked at the books she had taken out and turned to Shadow Rush to give him a look full of concern and disbelief. She looked around looking for something, and used her magic to grab a few books and placed them inside a bag that she gave to him.

“Alright then. Well, I wish you good luck in your research, and if you ever do need more references, you know where to come from. Now if you excuse me, Swiggie Pie and I have to talk about some important things.” she smiled to him, waving him goodbye along with her friend as he made it out of the door.

Shadow Rush waved back before closing the door behind him. He felt weird now though. He wasn’t sure why he felt so happy and so sad now. But the feeling quickly faded as he noticed Zequus flailing in the bush nearby, calling for assistance in a weak voice. He trotted nearby and helped him get on his hooves.

“I swear I am going to give this mare a correction!” he said with anger in his tone.
“Wait a minute… my hangover has taken a turn to complete obliteration! But how did she…” he said as his rage-induce expression turned to complete disbelief to how he felt at the moment.

The unicorn and zebra looked at each other with blank looks before they laughed together to the amazing turn of events, before taking off in a slow pace as they engaged in conversation.

Guilty Sparks assisted this by looking out of the window. She sighed loudly before walking down the stairway to stop near Swiggie Pie.

“So, you told him about the Weeping Filly…” she asked her pink friend.

“Well, aye had t’after they told me they came here for som’ research ‘bout The Stare. Aye made them believe that it were a ghost story. T’was som’ good fun, ladde!” she said in a large grin.

“I guess. But I don’t know, it just feels wrong that we’re lying about something this big right in their faces. But I guess if we told them that it was real, they would not have even stayed in these parts for a minute. We need these visitors, and especially how they’re from Canterlot. This might finally be our chance to get rid of this…this…” she continued, as her eyes began swelling with sadness.

“Aye. True t’what you said, but ya know we need their help.” Swiggie Pie added.
“Ya like that unicorn don’t ya?”

“What?!” Guilty Sparks said in surprise, unready for that, as her sad expression suddenly faded away.
“No no no! Well, he’s a nice colt and all, but…but it’s not like that, its just…meep!” she added otherwise, covering her blushing face with a hoof.

Swiggie Pie closed in on her and gave her a friendly hug around her shoulders and held firm.

“Don’t worry. Ya shouldn’t feel ashamed for findin’ a colt in your likings. Aye do admit he’s quite th’adorable one.” she said softly.

The room was in a standstill of silence for a few minutes before the two separated. Guilty Sparks looked up at Swiggie Pie’s face and smiled, before the two laughed together. After their laughter came to a stop, stern and concerned expressions returned to their faces as they were thinking of what they had just talked about.

“You think we should tell them eventually?” Guilty Sparks said.

“Aye, but not now. I’m sure the unicorn one will figure out eventually that this whole thin’ is a covered up story. He seems pretty gullible so far, but he clearly isn’t th’dumb lookin’ one.” Swiggie Pie admitted to her.

“Shadow Rush. His name is Shadow Rush.” Guilty Sparks corrected her.
___________________________________________________________________________________________


-Three and a half hour later-

Shadow Rush and Zequus were making their way down the last street as they were making it to their apartment. So far they had eaten at a restaurant, explored the town for a few and talked about what had happened between Shadow Rush and Guilty Sparks inside the library and just what in the world was Zequus doing in a bush when Shadow Rush had come out of the library. They shared good laughs and shared thoughts of good will. As they made it to the front of the apartment, Shadow Rush heard strange rambling coming from the street opposing the one they were on. Turning his head, he could not believe just how absurd the scene was to him, as he saw a pony in a crude costume of a robot marching down on his hindlegs while making robotic noises.

“Beep. Boop. Maggot! Beep Boop. I am a robot, and I run on equestrian jobs! Beep. *thud* Sorry. I mean, Beep!” the fake robot spoke as it collided with a pony.

Its helmet fell for a few instants before the pony picked it up and placed it back on his head. That had given enough time to reveal to Shadow Rush that this strange ponybot was in fact NoBark in a obvious robot disguise. He squinted at him as the bizarre individual marched on, until he disappeared at the corner of the street. This made Shadow Rush wonder, before he looked back at Zequus who was struggling to open the lock with the keys he had in hoof, and then an idea came to him.

As he struggled with his key, Zequus had to also keep up with the heavy load of books that he carried on his back. It was hard to multitask all of this, but he persisted as he knew that he’d get it eventually. That was until the key was wrapped in a green aura of magic and turned on itself, opening the doorway for him. Zequus turned around to see his friend throw him his share of books before running off. He took everything like the strong male he was, but confused by what his friend had done.

“Where are you going? I’m going to need your help upstairs for the unlocking!” he yelled out loud at his friend.

“I’m going to get some additional information.” Shadow Rush answered back, yelling as he drew a notepad and pen from his saddlebag.

Zequus only looked in dismay at his friend running, before he felt his legs letting go. Books flew everywhere as they all fell around him, as one landed flat on his face. He let out an annoyed groan before heavily sighing.
___________________________________________________________________________________________


Shadow Rush galloped down the street of which he saw the NoBark robot march down. He scanned everywhere for a biped equine in tin cans and cardboard around its body, which was relatively easy due that the streets were mostly empty in this town. He stalked him as the ponybot pressed on with its course, beeping and booping as it occasionally clashed onto oncoming ponies. This was going to be long and tedious…


It’s been nearly six hours now that Shadow Rush has been following NoBark, and every minute made him grit his teeth. The beeping that this fake robot made had become annoying and unpleasant long ago, and the banging of the tin cans hitting each other was just adding more to the insult. But Shadow Rush persisted. He would not stop until he found where this ponybot would stop, not wanting to let this opportunity of getting to know him better go to waste. He just had so many questions about so many things to ask him, even if he knew that this pony was insane and the odds of him rambling nonsense were great. Suddenly, the robot that NoBark was fell on his normal stance as he began removing the costume. After doing so, he slowly walked into a makeshift house made out of metal foils and…more tin cans.

(Just how much does he likes cans?)

Shadow Rush walked towards this abomination of a house and knocked on the nearly destroyed door. He waited a few instants before the door literally fell apart, and NoBark was standing behind it, looking down at the now useless piece of his house.

“Uh, hello?” Shadow Rush said in a sheepish smile, hoping that the pony wouldn’t get angry at what happened to his proprety.

NoBark looked up to see Shadow Rush. His one functioning eye pierced him with a glare that seemed to try and figure out who was this pony standing in front of him, while the other eye just mostly rolled around lazily in its socket. He then huffed loudly before turning around, leaving Shadow Rush confused to what had just happened. He did not prevent himself entering his home though, and looked around to see that the wallpapers were made with newspapers. But something was just wrong. These news papers all mentioned about disappearance of ponies, all of which were on the same day but different years. And some were not just from Ponyville; there were some from Fillydelphia, Trottinham, Canterlot and more! Shadow Rush gulped after having seen these unsettling walls, and turned his eyes to look at NoBark who was preparing tea. He opened his mouth, but he was interrupted by the crazy pony who held a hoof to indicate not to speak. He made a movement with his hoof to indicate to sit down at the three legged table as he placed the tea kettle on it. Shadow Rush obliged to that as he took a seat on the cold and muddy floor.

“You must be new in town. I know this because I know everypony in town and I’ve never seen you around these parts. What made you come to my humble household?” NoBark asked Shadow Rush with curiosity in his voice.

(What is wrong with him? I know he’s insane, but is he also a hardcore amnesiac?)

“Well, my name is Shadow Rush and yes I am indeed new to town. You do not need to present yourself, as for everypony that I’ve met so far told me about you. It is…uh, a great honor to finally meet this NoBark that everyone talks so much about.”

(Good one Shadow. Good one stupid.)

“Do they? Well that’s good to know that no one forgot about NoBark and his helpful hooves.”

(Yea, sure.)

“I suppose you are here because you are looking for somepony to lend you a hoof. Tea?” NoBark added.

“As a matter of fact, I am indeed here for that. As for, Mister NoBark, I have many questions to ask you. Yes please.” Shadow Rush replied

(Oh Celestia. Why?)

“I am listening.” NoBark said calmly as he sipped on his tea.

Shadow Rush looked uncertain at his tea cup, which actually was just a piece of shattered glass with a strange smelling tea inside of it. When he looked up, he saw NoBark looking at him with insistence that he drinks it. Not wanting to offend him, Shadow Rush did so.

(Hey, this tea is really not bad!)

He took a few more sips, before putting the shattered piece of glass that was a tea cup on the table with his magic.

“Well, first I’d like to show you this, and tell me what you think.” Shadow Rush said as he reached in his saddlebag for a dark colored tome.

He placed the tome on the table, and quickly skipped through its many pages using magic until he landed on the page he wanted. NoBark turned the tome around and brought it closer to him as he placed a pair of broken glasses that had three lense sockets, the one in between the two others still was the only one with a lense still intact. When he looked down on the page, his eyes went wide and he instantly started panicking, pulling himself away from the table. Shadow Rush immediately reacted and pulled away the tome off table with his magic, and placed it back in his saddlebag.

“I deeply apologize if this might have offended you in any ways possible, but I need to know any knowledge you have on The Stare.” Shadow Rush apologized to him as he readied his pen and notepad.

“The Stare! The malevolence of evil! The demon from within! The horrors of the fallen ones! The harbinger of doom! More evil than the spirit of chaos. Where have you found this tome?” NoBark asked with a terrified tone in his voice as he started shivering.

“It does not matter, I really need your help t-“

“It does matter!” NoBark yelled as he grabbed Shadow Rush from across the table and held him in the air, looking him into his eyes with his own scared ones. Suddenly, darkness was now settling inside the already dimly lit place.

“This tome was written with the blood of the first fallen ones! It should of never never fallen into mortal hooves. The Stare has a mind in whatever form it is in. It seeks out innocence and lures it to its vector, as it needs the suffering to sustain its twisted hunger.” he added, heavily breathing as he stopped.

“Some things are not meant to be seen to us. We are simple and mortal. The malevolence of evil has destroyed us.” he finished.

“Who? Who is this ‘us’? What are you talking about?” Shadow Rush said in between his teeth, wincing and tearing up as he became scared.

With that said, NoBark started slowly letting Shadow Rush down, letting him go after. His eyes kept the eye contact clean for a moment until he closed them, of which made the darkness surrounding them suddenly vanished away. The crazed pony shook his head, opened his eyes and looked up at his visitor, with a complete new expression now gazing up at him.

“Oh hello there. Would you like some tea?” NoBark asked in a completely calm voice, as if nothing happened.

Shadow Rush could not comprehend. One moment he’s being held high by him high up, darkness summons all around them and then the next minute he’s there proposing him for more tea. He’s had enough for today.

“No, I’m fine. I’ll just be on my way.” he said as he moved towards the exit, taking full gallop once he made it through.

NoBark looked at his curious visitor who was now running away. His eye not leaving the young colt until he was completely out of sight. He wondered to what could of just made him simply run away after he had proposed for some of his famous tea. He turned around and looked at a potato lying on a shelf beside him.

“Was it something that I said?” he asked his potato in confusion.

The potato, as it should always be so, kept his opinion to itself. Because it’s only a root, after all.

“Don’t say such things, Sir Pickle Surprise Cucumber.” NoBark said back, as he was replying to something that has never been said in the first place.

The potato, on the other hoof, had nothing to say back. As for, it lacked the vocal cords to do so, after all.
___________________________________________________________________________________________


Zequus was in his room, studying the pages that he and his friend Shadow Rush had brought back to their apartment before he took off in a hurried gallop. He had been waiting for him for nearly nine hours now, and he started to become worried for him.
What could his friend find so interesting that he would ditch him and leave him carry over thirty pounds of books six floors up?

Zequus’ thoughts were abruptly interrupted as he heard something knock on the window. He turned at the source of the sound, but nothing was found, so he turned back to his books. Then, another hit was heard on the window. This time, he approached it and opened it to look around. As he did so, something hit him on the forehead. He picked up what had just hit him, and saw it was a pebble. Then, he heard Shadow Rush’s voice calling for him down on the street, waving at him.

He went down and opened the door, ready to blast him with many questions on where his we was all this time. Only to find a pale looking Shadow Rush with eyes beaming with terror.

“By Celestia, what have you gone through? Did a ghost attack you?” he asked his friend with a worried tone.

“We could say that. I just want to go to bed.” Shadow Rush replied to his friend as he made his way up the stairways, not saying a single word as he made up to his dorm.

Zequus continued blasting him with questions, but he would not answer any of them. He did not want to. He just wanted to call it a day and forget everything he experienced earlier that day. When they arrived at their room, Shadow Rush trotted slowly toward his bed, went inside the comfort of its covers and did not move. Zequus looked at him, worried by his friend’s strange behavior, before he admitted to himself that it might be a good idea to do the same. It was late now, and it would be better to ask questions the next day. He went to the lights and engaged their switches, closing the lights one at a time before he also slipped inside his bed.