• Published 10th Jan 2013
  • 834 Views, 9 Comments

The Stare, Malevolence of Evil - Peusterokos



The story of a young unicorn that discovers the strange and evil powers of The Stare.

  • ...
8
 9
 834

'...We Are Simple...'

The Stare: Malevolence of Evil

Chapter 3:
'...We Are Simple…’

The pub and its customers continued staying silent, as every single soul inside the place continued staring at the two new comers of which had dared to ask the previous question. Shadow Rush and Zequus, both being disfigured by the unnerving stares of everypony, felt that they weren’t stared down as part of persecution, but because the thing they had questioned before. This had made them feel uneasy. The silence kept up until the two friends both exhaled loudly at the same time.

“Ok then, could somepony please explain what I said that made everyone shut up?” Shadow Rush courageously shared his thoughts with the menacing crowd staring him down

The silent showdown between the natives and the outsiders went on, as their expressions didn't change. Shadow Rush scanned through the room looking for a change that could indicate that the people in this place could actually understand him. As he kept on looking and his hopes for an answer slid away, a massive crimson stallion at a table of nine stood up and slammed his hooves on his table, effectively shaking up everything on the table and denting it.

“I FEAR NO PONY…” he exclaimed with a booming accent from Stalliongrad, fearless and confident in his expression.
“But that thing…” he leaned closer in hopes that Shadow Rush could get a better grasp of what he was saying, even though his table found itself in the far back of the place.
“…It scares me.” the massive stallion added, as his previous confidence changed into cowardice.

Shadow Rush gave a confuse look at him, his mind flooded with questions at how could a massive stallion from Stalliongrad show the pride and courage that his kind were known for and completely lose it the next second.

“Dead mare walkin’…” a voice was heard from the table where the pair of humans sat, exchanging each other glares of uncertainty.

Shadow Rush recognized them as the two criminals known as Graves and Twisted Fate. A pair of hardcore mercenaries that were wanted throughout Equestria ever since the time he was alive. Yet they sat there with complete fear in their eyes. Something started to become unnerving about this whole thing.

“We thought we feared only one…but now we know that we fear two.” a pandragon added, who showed himself as being the leader of his group by branding his massive axe, all of which now lowered their head in fear.

Shadow Rush knew that dragons weren’t easily scared. He didn’t know what he meant by ‘the one their feared’, nor did he understand the following statement, but dragons were never seen to fallback from anything. Not even from something that could potentially take their lives. Sadly, this was confirmed by what was assisted throughout Equestria. All of this was becoming somewhat became scary to him, while Zequus kept staring the confessors with a blank and expressionless face.

“She’s an evil enchantress and she does evil dances…” one zebra at a table mumbled as his companions consoled him.

Shadow Rush noticed the whimpering zebra before looking back to Zequus. This had made an impression on him, as his blank expression was betrayed by his eyebrows rising in concern. He returned a stare to his unicorn friend, somewhat admitting his disbelief how this individual was reduced to a state of shock after the mentioning of a sentence.

The diamond dogs didn’t even bother saying something before the dozens of them mumbled something to each other and left their places, quietly moving through the tables, terrified expressions still stuck on their faces as they all made it out to the exit. The door swung back and forth as each member went through, until there was none.

Shadow Rush and Zequus could not believe it. With the stories that the others told them, it was hard to believe that a hardcore bunch like these creatures had not even tried following the other’s fad. Shadow Rush turned back to his host, Swiggy Pie, of whom she also had been listening to the short stories of her clients.

“I’m sorry but did everyone miss out on my question? What was it that I said that just made a gang of roughneck ponies, a pair of hardcore human mercenaries, hardened zebras, a fellowship of dragons and an entire pack of diamond dogs cower?” Shadow Rush asked the mare.

Her face turned into uncertainty for a few seconds as she was thinking up with an answer to that question.

“Well…by mentionin’ The Stare, ya might have’o’ brought t’everyone th’thoughts o’-“

“THE WEEPING FILLY!” a voice coming from the door rang inside the pub. Everypony turned to the source, as they were presented to an aged, cream colored pony of which his head was half missing its mane content while what was left was in a pale and messy tangle. His tail did not fair any better, and his flank showed that he…was a blank flank? His eyes seemed real bizarre too, as one looked directly on Shadow Rush as if he was a target sight, while the other kind of rolled around in his head.

“The evil has already chosen its next procession, and it appears that one of thee has appeared pleasant to her eyes! Those malevolent eyes of hers, empty and full, will strike you down with eternal darkness and corruption! Her constant thirst to fill her empty voids with the soul of the pure must always come true for every cycle, as it cannot be stopped, and never will be fully satisfied! Beware, BEWARE!” the pony continued on with his rant.

The place fell in an awkward standstill of silence after he was done. No pony or person dared to add a word after the strange rambling of this pony echoed in the pub.

“Come on, git’ this colt outside before he gits a drop’o’cider on his tongue an’ starts prancin’ his junk aroun’ an’ claim that it’s bigger than everypony’ elses!” Swiggie Pie gave a shout, ordering guards that seemed to not to exist.

Thankfully, if her claims were right, three ponies, including the massive pony from Stalliongrad and two of his table buddies, got up and dragged the lunatic outside the place.

“Alright tough guy, you got yourself a free ticket to tha’ exit door!”

“Come, we go together!”

“Oui mon ami. Juste sort d’ici et ne reviens plus!”

These statements from the three were heard before the door closed behind them, leaving the pub quiet…again. This time, it wasn’t sure if the raving pony was the cause or the same previous subject was still the affair of the silence here.

“Ok? What the heck happened now?” Shadow Rush looked back at Swiggie Pie, whom of which she now had a concerned expression as she looked in the door's direction.

“Well, that ther’ t’was NoBark. He’s a strange one, ladde. We don’ really know who he is, wher’ he came from or why he is so bloody insane. But he did answer your’ question ther’ friend.” she answer him as she looked back at him.

“Som’ ponies think that it was me drugs that made him crazy when he came ta Ponyville th’first day. But I doubt that aye leaf can make ya so damned crazy like him. Aye personally think that it’d be his mead o’ his that makes him loco in tha’ co-”

“Ok, ok enough! What is this story of the Weeping Filly, and what does it have to do with The Stare?” Shadow Rush interrupted her after hearing enough of this nonsense as he was now becoming impatient of having his questions being left unanswered.

Swiggie Pie looked down on the floor, then to her clients and back to the two, all with an expression of uncertainty present in her eyes. The stare's unsettling silence making Shadow Rush uncomfortable.

“Fine, but aye should tell ya now that this story is’not fo’ the light o’ heart. When hearin’ ‘The Stare’, most ponies in these parts think’o’ one thin’: th’ infamous Weeping Filly.” she said with a serious tone, followed by her clearing her throat.

Long time ago, ther’ was this young filly that was very shy an’ lived in th’outskirts o'Ponyville. She was an animal caretaker that-…”

“You mean a veterinarian?” Shadow Rush cut Swiggie Pie in her story telling.

“Shut up ladde. You want’a hear th’story, don't ya?” the mare aggressively replied.
“Anyways, despite her shyness an’ cowardice, she was able t’tame some of them nastiest critters t’a ever roam th’Everfree forest with th’help o’ somethin’ that everypony though t’was lost in time: The Stare. We aren’t exactly sure who or when th’spell was originally created, but that young filly had discovered it, an’ mastered its limitless powers and used it in order t’keep her animals an’ pony friends safe from th’horrors of th’Everfree forest she knew all too well. Using its powers, she literally overcame manticores, hydras, sea serpents, cockatrices, entire packs o’ timberwolves, the hole lot o’ scary critters… an’even a full grown dragon that once nearly destroyed Ponyville.” she continued, heavily hinting that last part with her eyebrow as she looked at the two visitors, as if she knew what they're intentions were.

Shadow Rush was completely immersed in the story now while Zequus was nervously chewing on his hooves as the story went on. Literally.

“But… over th’years, th’powers that she once sought t’use only for good…changed her. First she was always in a darned twitchy mood. She then became uncomfortable wit’the presence o’ nearby ponies, becoming unsocial. She became resentful ‘bout some memories she had o’ her beloved friends. She went on and fantasized ‘bout how she should’a be th’only thin’ that mattered in th’world. Finally, voices were being heard in her head. Time t’was everypony’s allies, but that day, which is th’day after tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow an’-"

“You mean this Friday?” Shadow Rush once again cut in as she was telling the story. She now became annoyed by him cutting her as she spoke.

“Now that’s gonna be th’last warnin’ before I shove me hoof down your esophagus and tear out ya’r very soul ladde! Let me finish before startin’ t’talk!” she menaced Shadow Rush with a hoof.

“Now…where was I? Ah yes.” she cleared her throat like done so before.
“Yes, this Friday, nearly a hundred years ago, was th’day that this young filly…was consumed by th’very evil she sought to protect’er friends from. What I’ve heard from th’details, her eyes were a pair’o’ emerald green orbs full o’ life an’ innocence. That night though, they had turned into an evil looking red, surrounded by pitch black voids. She became corrupted, evil, an’ wantin’ to hurt innocence. It began wit’ her animal friends that she cared and loved. Her shed, which was a well-known safe haven to any kin’ of innocent creatures that looked for a place t’call a home away from th’Everfree, became one day devoided o’any animals that she tended in th’past. All o’which had fled th’evil that their caretaker had become now, until it all came down t’one: her favorite pet rabbit. It refused t’leave his mother, even if it knew that it would do no good t’him. Then one day, when she was in a very bad mood, she unleashed The Stare and all o' its malevolent powers on th’poor innocent bunny. After th’ordeal, it became an empty shell of what it once was. T’was at that moment that this filly found out that, get ready fo’ it, liked killin’ innocence wit’ her malefic powers.”

Swiggie Pie stopped for a bit, taking a long breath to calm her tense voice, which had been growing ever since she began telling the scary story, before starting again.

“From then, Ponyville’s days o’ happiness ended, as it fell into days o’ melancholy. Young fillies started dissapearin’ from the streets, ponies came back to their homes completely shaken up, an’ more disturbin’ details came floodin’. Somethin’ was hittin’ our village, an’ it struck us hard. Th’mares representing th’Elements o’ Harmony were there t’investigate the strange occurrences of a mare stalkin’ ponies at night an’ th’disappearance of their friend, th’ Element o’ Kin’ness. But th’searches never lead t’an actual trace. Instead, th’Elements, one by one, in th’time o’ a week, had all met wit’ a terrible fate.”

“Uh…what kind of…terrible fate have they met?” Zequus asked the story telling mare, with his voice cracking up.

“I was ‘fraid ya were goin’ t’ask that…” she replied.
“T’start, th’Element o’ Loyalty was th’first. Her neck broke as she hit th’ground when she was unlucky enough to have lost herself in a storm that she had tried t’wither down. The Element o’ Generosity t’was the second, she hung herself after havin’ written down a bunch ‘o nonsense on a paper. Th’absolute worse one was th’Element o’ Honesty, which was th’third one. When she was found, or at least what was left of her, a grizzly scene had taken place where her entire family and she had been brutally murdered in their barn. Bloody bits an’ pieces were everywher’ on th’walls, floor an’ celin’. We still haven’t figured out what happened over there t’this day.”

The two friends, along with everypony in the place, laid on their seats feeling extremely uneasy and even nauseous to the story. Zequus now regretted that he had asked the question. If Swiggie Pie felt uneasy, she clearly did not show it to her crowd of listeners.

“Th’Elements o’ Laughter had it relatively easy, where her heart literally exploded out of its cavity from the sadness she felt after learning th’tragic news. Th’Element of Magic was th’last one. She had been investigatin’ th’disappearances what had been happenin’ in town, while she’d been mournin’ the deaths o’ her best friends. She had gon’ mad, but persisted on t’find th’sick culprit of all these murders. In the end, she never found out, and neither was she. She had seemingly disappeared on th’last day o’ that horrible week. When th’princesses arrived, lookin’ for the prodigy student, Princess Celestia discovered all sorts of things in her student’s house: a bunch ‘o scribbles that had all sorts o’ clues that indicated th’culprit might o’ been…the Element o’ Kin’ness. When th’princesses an’ their guards broke into Element o’ Kin’ness’ shed, they had not found her, but had found plenty o’ evidence that she was th’one who committed these horrible murders. In other words: blood splattered everywhere an’ ponies lyin’ dead everywhere. The place was emptied, and when they were done, they found the Elements o’ Kin’ness outside, standing in the pourin’ rain, weepin’ an’ ramblin’ nonsense as her eyes were tearing up…with blood. She ran away after th’princesses had attempted talkin’ t’her, an’ th’guards gave pursuit where she left to: the Everfree forest. But she was never found, nor did they ever find th’Elements o’ Harmony. Later that day, Princess Celestia found a tome hidden inside th’Element o’ Magic’s residence. A book about th’many spells that had been forgotten an’ forbidden in Equestria. An’ on the last page, they found an incomplete page of a spell that was no spell nor magic: The Stare.” she finished.

Shadow Rush was now trembling from what he had just heard, while Zequus fainted on the floor. The pub became completely silent for the longest time, before everypony else in the place muttered incoherent words to each other.

“T’this day, it is said that every year on th’same day she was corrupted, th’Weepin’ Filly comes back from th’forest t’Ponyville an’ find an’ unfortunate innocent soul t’feed upon its life. Many ponies have claimed that they have seen th’revenant wander in Ponyville’s streets late at night. An’ this NoBark ya saw earlier always claims that he was attacked by her, and survived t’tell th’tale.” she added more to her part.

Shadow Rush laid silent in his seat, immersed in sweat and terror. He could not believe what he had just heard. Something this horrid could not have happened in his homeland of Equestria. If it did, how did no one ever mention it to him?

“Are…are you kidding me? A ghost story? How…but how? Ghosts and curses don’t exist! They are scientifically impossible! Please tell me that you are kidding!” Shadow Rush said, nearly screaming at the mare.

She closed her eyes for a few instants, taking again a deep long breath and staying quiet. She then looked back up to him, open her eyes and mouth…

“…Eeyup!” she said in a big smile.

The same cheering when they first came suddenly came back in bursting laughter, leaving Shadow Rush and Zequus the only ones not laughing. The three ponies who took NoBark back outside rushed back inside in tearing laughter. That had made Zequus open his eyes wide, followed by him springing back on his seat he fell from. Shadow Rush could not comprehend what had happened.

(Was all of this just a joke, or have they gone mad?)

He and Zequus were completely baffled as their mouths were wide open, both of them desperately trying to make a sound. But only massacred things that resembled confused blabbering came out.

“Oh lads. ‘Tis was just a typical ghost story from Ponyville! I cannot wait t’a tell you about th’Headless Horse tomorrow night! Anyways, if I did offend ya in any way possible, I deeply apologize in advance an’ have a free mug o’ cider, its on th’house!” Swiggie Pie said to the baffled unicorn, slapping in between his forehooves the promised mug of cider.

“As fo’ you, zebra, t’was just priceless to see ya fall down unconscious! Here, ya can have two mugs o’ cider. Ya were just so damn hilarious t’watch that I nearly lost it!” she added while throwing down in front of him three mugs of ciders instead of the two she had said. Not that Zequus seemed to mind.

Looking at each other with confused looks, Zequus and Shadow Rush’s minds were still trying to process what the heck was going on. Zequus turned to Swiggy Pie with a stern look and they both exchanged a long lasting glare, before they exploded in laughter together. He took one of his mugs of cider and chugged it down as everypony in the place looked at him and cheered:

“CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!”

(They’re mad. He’s mad. They all went mad!)

When Zequus finished his deposit of alcohol, he slammed the mug on the table and the public once again exploded in cheering roars. They laughed and enjoyed themselves as the sweet ambiance of drunk-induced joys rapidly flooded back. Shadow Rush had finally put the pieces all together and now his looks pierced Swiggy Pie, with an expression of both hate and admittance of a good joke. The bartender mare turned to face him, looking into his eyes for a few moments.

“Alright lad. Now that I have told you the tale, I should say that this story t’was based on a few real facts that did in fact happen. Ya should always be careful when studyin’ dark magic, but no worries.” she said to him, nearly shouting as she was trying to overcome the loud ambiance in her pub.

“Alright then, thanks I guess…” he sighed to himself.
“Although, we still have to find a place to sleep during our stay here in Ponyville. Any idea where we could find a place?” he added.

“Ya came to th’right mare, ladde. Ya are all going t’sleep in the apartment block 173, room 666. It’s down from her’ to th’left, continue down four streets, take a turn right an’ it’s gonna be th’red apartment.” she replied to him, as she gave him the keys to the place.

“Oh an’ tomorrow, ya should go see a mare workin’ at th’town’s library. A certain Guilty Sparks, she will be glad to help ya lads wit’ your research there. Be sure to also say hi from me part, she’s a good friend o’ mine.” she added, this time in a tone and expression that made her sound and look seductive.

“Alright, will do. Thank you Ms. Pie. Have a goodnight and see you tomorrow… I guess…” he trotted off towards the exit.
While he walked towards it and was just about to push it open with his hoof…

“BOYS! STOP!” Swiggie Pie yelled out loud.

The place came to a stand still to the sudden uproar. Everypony looked back at the suddenly stern looking mare, who held a hoof high in the air. Shadow Rush included himself in that gang, looking back at the mare with a confused look as she also returned the favor back at him, not doing a single thing but stare and breathe.

“Watch out for any cryin’ fillies tonight! Th’Weepin’ Filly might git at ya!” she said in a humorous tone, after which the entire place burst in drunken laughter once more.

Shadow Rush rolled his eyes and opened the door, leaving behind him a place full of drunks who were enjoying themselves. Zequus did stay behind, as for Shadow Rush found that it was a place that did call as very fitting for his friend. Shadow Rush went to the directions Swiggy Pie mentioned before he had left The Blazing Pie, as he now was walking down the actually pretty scary, dimly lit streets of Ponyville.

...

Eventually after a trot that seemed to last forever, he did find the apartment: an ugly and disgusting red bricked building. He engaged the locks and opened them, climbed his way up the stinking stairways to his destined floor where his room would be, and after a few turns, found it. The door had a rusty handle, as it also appeared that time and humidity had been ravaging the contours of the door. He opened it with the tip of his hoof, and when he had his first glimpse of the place were he’d be sleeping for the following days, he had been surprised by what he saw. The place looked well kept considering how the place looked old and abandoned on the outside and how the place smelled kind of rancid in the inside. He had already begun drawing his magic to organize the content of their bags inside drawers and on shelves, looking for his toothbrush before going to bed.

A few minutes later, after he had done his ablutions, Shadow Rush threw himself on the bed, testing out its springs. At some pure luck or something, this bed had his instant preference, not even bothering in testing the other one. Being satisfied with his decision, Shadow Rush laid his head on the pillow and closed his eye, fatigue getting the better of him as it settled in comfortably.

But, Shadow Rush did not want to go to sleep. He wanted to think about Swiggy Pie’s story, and by what she wanted to say with ‘was based on some real facts’, or what she meant by ‘being cautious when studying dark magic’.

What dark magic?
The book definitely said it was a semi-psychokinetic spell that…wait a minute, she mentioned a book in her sto-

At that moment, Shadow Rush’s mind closed. His mind and body fell short on energy after such an exhausting afternoon. He would probably be better off answering all his questions the next morning.

___________________________________________________________________________________________


Meanwhile, as Shadow Rush slept deeply, a shadow crept around the window outside, investigating the source of light that was inside. The body-less entity scanned with its missing eyes the contents of the lit room, mainly focusing on what was lying in a bed: a sleeping unicorn. After a few minutes of creeping, it rumbled happily before taking to the sky, whining like a quiet banshee as it soared through the sky. Later, it found itself flying over the Everfree forest, continuing its trajectory deep within the untamed wilderness’ sky before stopping abruptly and taking a ninety degrees dive. Its shapeless body flew amongst the leaves and branches of the canopy, before reaching the forest floor and pouring itself in a mount of disgusting goop surrounded by a lifeless area. The forest floor shook soon afterwards, the ground breaking as a dark and decomposed figure of what was once a pegasus rose. When it found itself completely out of the ground, a pair of empty voids with glowing red discs in its center appeared as it opened its eyes. It looked up to the sky and gave an ear-piercing screech mixed with the saddened cries of a young filly. In doing so, the creature had started placing one rotten hoof in front of it at a time, fashioning the slow pace of a walk in a seemingly random direction.

The time for this cycle's hunt was nearing.