• Published 10th Mar 2021
  • 686 Views, 32 Comments

High-Water Mark - bkc56



Two visiting researchers are thrust into a life-and-death situation in a flooded earth pony settlement. Will their skills be enough to rescue residents before the raging waters of the Neighagra River wash them away?

  • ...
3
 32
 686

4. Epilogue

Quicksilver trotted up to the greenhouse door and looked in. "Hey, Misty! We got a letter from Mayor Bigwig!"

She spun around to face him. "From Flora Fields? What's it say?"

"Don't know. Haven't read it yet. I figured we could read it together." He squinted at her. "You’ve been, shall we say, highly focused for several hours now. It's time you took a break."

Her eyes sparkled, and she laughed. "It's okay, you can call it obsessing. I know I get a little lost in here sometimes." Quicksilver chuckled with her. "Let me make some tea, and we'll do it right."

Once the tea and snacks were ready, they went to the front room of the house. Quicksilver sat on a couch, and Misty snuggled up next to him. She softly blew on her tea.

Using his magic, Quicksilver opened the letter, and began to read.

My dear friends,

I hope you are doing well and that your research is progressing.

It's been almost nine months since that night, and a lot has happened. With the final harvest of fall completed and winter preparations underway, I finally found a moment to write.

In the aftermath of the flood, we had a couple families decide to leave and head back to their former towns. It's sad to see residents leave, but it happens for a number of reasons. On the other hoof, that freed up space for two additional new families from the waiting list. Due to limited resources, we must manage the number of new families added each year.

Speaking of new residents, we have our first pegasus in the community. His name is First Class, and he came here with his wife to open an Equestria Postal Service office. His special talent is long-distance flying, and he loves making the trip to Canterlot three times a week. This is a huge improvement to our mail service, as the regular EPS wagon only makes the loop every couple weeks (and even less in winter).

And now for the big news, and the actual reason I wrote: Flora Fields is officially a town!

I was able to complete the application paperwork during summer. First Class personally delivered it to Canterlot. A few weeks later, two pegasi from the castle literally dropped in to inspect the settlement and do some interviews. A month after that, we received the official notification.

A few days after that we held our first town hall meeting. Everyone was there. The first official business was when someone made a motion, unanimously approved, to install me as mayor for the first term of the office. So it looks like I have a job for a few more years.

I am so proud of these ponies and what we all have accomplished together. That includes you two and the hoof you had in getting us here.

I believe that brings you up-to-date on the big items. Heavy Pony says hi. Even Nurse Forte asked me to send her regards. Yes, I was shocked too.

I hope you will get up this way again one day. Everypony would love to see you.

Warmest regards,
Mayor Bigwig

Setting her empty teacup down, Misty clopped her hooves together. “Wonderful! They finally made it.”

Quicksilver put the letter on the table and took a long drink of his tea. “I remember the mayor telling us about the original ponies that first started working on creating the settlement. It must be so fulfilling to see a vision like that succeed after years of work.”

“I’m not even a little surprised they made Bigwig the first mayor. After all the work he’s put in.”

Quicksilver gazed up at the ceiling in thought. “You know, I have absolutely nothing to base this on, but I think Norse Forte was the one who made that motion. You remember what she said about him at the party?”

Misty threw her head back laughing. “I bet you're right. I’d love to find out.”

“Hey Misty, next summer, do you think you’ll feel like going for a little walk? There’s this new town I’d like to visit.” He grinned and winked at her.

She smirked back. “Well, we never did get that ‘interesting dirt’ you wanted.”

-- The End --

Comments ( 21 )

Excellent story you got going ther keep up the good work

10735510
Thanks.

The next story will start publishing in two weeks, so keep an eye out for it... :derpytongue2:

And so the first story of the chronicles comes to a close. This was the second story I’ve edited for bkc, and I have to say, I admire him for being able to withstand me tearing his story apart. I could also see how much he learned over the course of the story. At first, I oftentimes needed to step in and add/rewrite a few paragraphs, but as the story progressed, the author became able to tackle these larger parts himself or at least adjust what I wrote for him to better match his style and vision. The epilogue is probably the largest testament to how much he learned. It was mostly rewritten from scratch, and, aside a few minor errors, there really wasn’t anything for me to correct.

Nice premise for a story.

I'm very interested to see what you came up with. Ill give this a whirl.

The Monk
“A spider’s got to spider.” -Scarheart

10792394
I'll be interested in your thoughts after it's been whirled... :twilightsmile:

I've enjoyed this story greatly

10796203
Thanks for saying so. Should you keep reading, hopefully you'll enjoy the rest of the series also.

10859321
Thanks for taking a look at it.

It's a rather great story as the premise of chronicles. I really like the connection between everypony in this story. The light of the bond shines brighter in the darkness. This theme is the very thing I want to read. Can't wait to read the next story.

10943475
Thanks for your comment.

Each story in the Chronicles is pretty different in it's tone and subject. I look forward to your comments as you battle your way through them. :pinkiehappy:

11022393
Thanks. I added a couple comment to the review thread itself.

Looking promising :3

~Fellow Plaza Servermate

11142721
I'm a big Tull fan myself, and enjoyed that little Easter egg.

new55 #17 · Jun 4th, 2022 · · 1 ·

That was a nice story.

So, I finished your story, and while I overall liked it, and didn't regret reading it, the whole thing is just kinda... how to say this nicely? Lukewarm?
Don't get me wrong, the overall slice-of-life vibes of the story is appealing, and this actually could be a two-parter in the show itself, but somehow I couldn't connect to the setting and characters enough to enjoy the story to its fullest. The exception to this was Quicksilver and Misty. They are likeable characters, and their interactions are cute, but even theirs sometimes fall flat. I've felt this often during the story, by the way. The way the protags interact with the secondary characters is a bit too "by-the-book", or maybe I could say, realistic.
Also, your writing style is a bit dull. Not boring, but very mechanical, it tells things like it is, almost like a newspaper article. I'm not vouching for purple prose, just something a bit more evocative.
I've read Paul Asaran's review too, and I mostly agree with him, and said these things much better than I could.

Of course, I wouldn't want to bring you down with this, I'm guilty of many things you did in this story, too, and I'm pretty sure you've improved since this one. So cheers, and have an upvote, you've earned it.:pinkiehappy:

11401498

I will admit my first couple stories could benefit from a re-write (if I knew then what I know now). All I can say is that my writing has improved over the course of the series, even more so in the Dark Steel spin-off series. Should you keep reading, I believe you'll see the improvement. A slave-driver editor who won't let me get away with things helped a lot.

A fun little adventure.

11591612
Thanks. Glad you liked it.

Login or register to comment