• Published 2nd Sep 2012
  • 727 Views, 1 Comments

Dr Whooves And The Mare Who Saw What Wasn't There. - Paganbrony



When ponies go missing and no one remembers them can Ditzy save the day or does she need a doctor?

  • ...
8
 1
 727

Part Five: A Doctor for Dinner.

Part Five: A Doctor for Dinner.

Luna began to warm to Zecora as between them they carried the limp form of Ditsy.

Fortunately Zecora’s home wasn’t far and as they approached the door Luna felt safer already, after all Ditsy had run straight to the mare so she must trust this Zecora she reasoned.

Barely had Zecora reached a hoof for the door when it opened inwards and a familiar face emerged.

“Oh, hello… I Thought I heard something!”

The brown earth stallion stood for a moment in surprise and then motioned them to enter...

Luna had given up, she was cold tired scared and hungry, and soon she was sat next to Ditsy on the floor in Zecora’s front room.

Across the room ‘that stallion’ was reading books from a large bookcase on the wall, even if she had the energy to ask she knew there was nothing she could do to force a straight answer.

Zecora was stood off to the side, keeping busy as she prepared food and drinks, keeping an eye on Ditsy and occasionally giving a smile or nod towards the stallion when he surfaced for the next book or to Luna when she caught her eye.

She treated the stallion like an old friend Luna noted, she watched over the grey mare wrapped in a blanket laid out on a pile of cushions, the signs of possible fever beginning to surface.

At this point, Luna couldn’t help but gently fall asleep, gradually her tiredness overcame her and moving to lie down next to Ditsy she felt her mind drift away and her body succumb…

Zecora watched as the two mares slept, Luna having unconsciously slipped a wing over Ditsy, the zebra smiled at this and turned towards the pile of books on the table.

“Soon we feast, but you are yet to tell me how you plan to trap the beast…”

Zecora’s eyes narrowed as she moved closer to better observe the reaction her only conscious guest.

“Yes, well, missing a few things at the moment.”

“Oh…?”

The stallion stopped scanning the book he had open and looked for the first time worried.

“I know what it is; I know where it is… Now if I can just figure out how to stop it.”

Zecora frowned.

“Tell me what manner of demon kind, can so worry a lord of time”

Hesitating slightly he eventually answered as his eyes clouded slightly as if he were seeing it before him, he had encountered one before but pushing that memory away he ignored her comment temporarily.

“Been traveling alone for a while…”

“Thought I might visit a friend or two (looking at Zecora with a smile she returned) but as soon as I arrived something was wrong, bit of running around and Bob’s your uncle…”

He grinned catching Zecora off guard.

“So…?”

“It’s a silmeragan”

Zecora gasped.

“You sit there like a fool when others may suffer the hands of a ghoul!”

She shouted this in surprise as the Stallion flinched.

The zebra was working up a terrible rage as she imagined the horror unleashed on her friends in Ponyville.

“Before… How did you destroy the beast… …That you can say at least?”

“Ah well I sort of kind of dropped it into a black hole.”

Upon seeing Zecora’s stunned look he simply said…

“Bit tricky to pull off…”

“…Well unless you enjoy going hoof to hoof with a giant bitey clawy monster that can’t be sedated, poisoned or coerced…”

He finished by waving his hooves in front of his face for a scary effect as Zecora failed to smile, she simply hung her head and asked…

“So what now… When you know not how…?”

Looking quietly down at the two sleeping mares he frowned, bit his lip and answered.

“I don’t know.”

It wasn’t for a while that Luna finally awoke, and when she did the previous day and night of exertion had taken its toll upon her as she struggled with stiff aching muscles to get to her hooves.

As she stood she noticed Zecora was the opposite side of Ditsy and she was placing a tray of muffins next to her nose.

“Miss Zecora… Is it?”

“Yes…”

“Muffins…?”

“Her fever is already passing, those bowls...”

Zecora waved a hoof at two small wooden bowls she had placed nearby earlier with a steaming green liquid almost like syrup in them.

“They contain herbs to help soothe and replenish yourselves when you breathe them in.”

Luna was overjoyed to see her companion did indeed appear slightly less ragged in her breathing and seemed more peaceful than before Luna had slept.

Bowing deeply and respectfully Luna began.

“Thank you Miss Zecora, my name is Princess Luna… I cannot thank you enough for your help.”

The zebra merely smiled and retired to cooking her cooking.

Luna awkwardly looked at the stallion who was still engrossed in Zecora’s books.

‘Sniff…’

“…Muffins!!!”

Luna looked down to see Ditsy still asleep but moving, her legs made slow circular motions as if trotting and her nose inched towards the muffins as it sniffed the air.

Amused Luna watched as finally the sleeping Ditsy homed in and scoffed down the first treat without batting an eyelid, her second was millimetres from its fate when the Stallion suddenly crossed the room and sat next to her.

“C-can I help you?”

Luna asked tentatively, angry but blushing at his close presence.

The stallion looked down at Ditsy and smiled.

“Old friend of the family... Me that is.”

“Really…?”

That was Luna’s somewhat skeptical reply.

“Oh yeah, I knew her mother Dixie, we traveled together a long time.”

He grinned at the memories.

Seeing Luna’s somewhat filly like blush he paused.

“Oi you, not like that...”

“We hung out, as mates…”

Another blush...

“H-Hey… Mates, friends, you know buddies?”

Luna nodded but still hid behind her fringe as she continued to blush.

“So she’s not....”

“No…”

He stated firmly.

“Grandmother…”

“Huh?”

Both Luna and the stallion looked down.

Ditsy had exterminated the last muffin without mercy and rolled onto her front blinking, as she studied the stallion in front of her, her eyes moved down noticing his cutie mark her smile grew wider.

“Sorry, you said Grandmother?”

“Dixie Doo, Grandmother!”

*pause*

“Ditsy Doo… Me!!!”

“Not her daughter”

“Nope”

“Oh…”

He scratched the back of his head absently…

“Old… …Old friend of the family then...”

Luna was about to ask the first of many questions mostly about age when Ditsy spoke first.

“She told me!”

Ditsy concentrated; she had wanted this chance since a filly.

“Nanna Doo told me bedtime stories, her adventures as a young mare, her travels with the Doctor!!!”

The Doctor... Luna’s mind almost shutdown, she knew that name, she had met... No she hadn’t… She was certain she had never met the pony beside her? It was becoming hard to think her mind began to feel drowsy.

“Princess Luna…?”

Ditsy looked concerned, so much so her eyes were both fixed straight on Luna.

“I’m okay… I think.”

The moon princess felt herself slowly return to the speed of her surroundings.

Ditsy focused an eye on each of the ponies next to her.

The doctor didn’t look happy; in fact he was frowning at Luna who hung her head still frail from her adventures, she tried to sort her swimming thoughts and emotions into some semblance of order.

Still worried, Ditsy asked the stallion,

“Doctor…?”

“Doctor what happened… You back now?”

The doctor blinked and studied Ditsy, confusion across his face…

“Pardon...?”

“She said you can tell your story over dinner…”

Zecora had returned.

“Right ho then…”

The doctor gave Luna a glance then followed Zecora to a table in a corner of the room laden with food.

“Luna OK…?”
Ditsy still concerned gently nudged the Princess with her muzzle.

“Sit next to me?”

Luna gave a weak smile and followed the now energized Pegasus.

As the four sat to eat, Ditsy repeated her question but slightly improved although it took a lot of effort.

“So why you not come back? Nanna waited, you said you’d return… Trip to Gallophrey then back.”

The doctor finishing a chip had a far off look in his eyes…

“I couldn’t, I just couldn’t.”

He paused as he had another chip…

“It’s just me now, can’t go back.”

Ditsy’s expression drooped.

“You not travel some pony together?”

“No… …Just me...”

He reached for another chip.

“Just me and the old girl...”

“Old girl…?”

Luna asked with other questions lined up but was ignored.

Ditsy’s sadness at his quiet reflective tone, and the genuine loneliness contained beneath spurred her on.

“Not alone, just waiting!”

The doctor arched an eyebrow.

“Waiting for what exactly?”

Ditsy’s wings opened out as she pointed a hoof at herself smiling.

“ME!!!”

“Oooh yeah…”

The doctor chirped mockingly.

“And what makes you think I want another Doo following me around and getting under hoof and in trouble all the time.”

“Easy! When save world, no one see you do it, me along you can be brainy and show-off.”

Zecora’s laughter cut across the conversation.

“Aha, it would seem this child fate bestows… A better companion do you know?”

The doctor’s eyes gave away his feelings.

“Well maybe, a quick trip…”

He muttered absently before realizing he’d spoken aloud, seeing Ditsy’s eyes light up, he quickly added.

“And then home…”

“…I’m not a sightseeing tour and anyway, I’ve got a slight problem to deal with before any pleasure cruises.”

Ditsy nodded enthusiastically.

“Beat monster, can travel.”

“Uh, yes well, I suppose, yes…?”

The doctor could feel the mare’s excitement emanating from her in waves, a long repressed feeling awoke, the feeling to run and keep running with Ditsy by his side.

Luna didn’t understand, this stallion, this mare, talking about adventures?

“Just who are you…?”

“I’m the Doctor.”

“Ugh, I guessed that, Doctor what?”

Luna’s attention switched as Ditsy mumbled.

“Who...”

“What…?”

Luna asked her.

“Meant to say… …Who?”

“Huh…?”

Luna was perplexed.

The grey mare sighed.

“Never mind…”

Zecora stifled a laugh at Luna’s confused look.

Luna’s temper began to fray as she tried to keep a level tone.

“Never mind what you call yourself, how do I not remember meeting you when you address me as if we have, and why does your presence or mere mention affect me so...?”

Her mind was still dogged by a nagging feeling she’d forgotten something, the humour drained somewhat from the Doctor’s eyes which took on a sombre glow again.

“I was there, the final battle… The moment when Equestria hung in the balance between sun and moon, I helped seal Nightmare Moon’s power...”
He continued…

“You haven’t any memories because you...”

*CRASH*

Zecora’s front door exploded inwards, through the now much wider gap stepped three Pegasus of the Royal Guard! The three moved silently as they half encircled the still sitting quartet who just stared as Princess Celestia stormed into the room! Her horn was ablaze with magic.

“…Doctor!!!”

She snarled as she descended on the table, for his part the Doctor tried looking unconcerned and noticing Ditsy’s barely contained laughter as she tried not to look at the Doctor’s antics, he faced the Princess and said…

“Urk… …Urggh...”

“No! …Sister!!!”

Luna came to life as Celestia pulled the Doctor off his rump and choked him with her magic! Her eyes burning like the sun she throttled him as all hay broke loose.

Twilight and the other Elements of Harmony who till now had been patiently waiting for the signal charged on in hearing Luna’s cry from the inside.

Upon entrance, they found the three guards stood unsure if to act before a rampant Goddess, Luna hung around her neck trying to pull her away, pleading with her not to kill the brown stallion suspended in mid air before them.

As Twilight joined Luna in trying to avert murder, Ditsy was becoming a little worried about the Doctor, since he was turning a variety of colors while slowly choking after all, she spied her friends Applejack and Dash with her other eye and waved, too stunned by it all they slowly waved back.

It was here, the host, homeowner and exceptionally furious zebra had had enough.

Zecora went right up to Celestia and without hesitation or reverence declared.

“I will not suffer blood spilt within these walls, for a Princess to act as if the playground calls.”

As the Doctor’s last regeneration began passing before his eyes and he started to fade, Celestia though angry realized her stunned audience weren’t used to her somewhat less than professional side when she was riled up.

She immediately began apologizing and turned to address Zecora.

“Sister…”

Luna cried out as Celestia acted as if she’d accidentally forgotten to release the Doctor…