• Published 2nd Sep 2012
  • 728 Views, 1 Comments

Dr Whooves And The Mare Who Saw What Wasn't There. - Paganbrony



When ponies go missing and no one remembers them can Ditzy save the day or does she need a doctor?

  • ...
8
 1
 728

Part Three: Luna Chase.

Part Three: Luna Chase.

Twilight Sparkle sat alone in her tree house/library home reading quietly.

Her baby dragon assistant Spike was over at her friend Rarity’s house helping the beautiful mare fulfill a large order for her fashion boutique.

It was nearly five the clock on the table said, so Twilight began to think about closing up the library/house she worked/lived in, putting her bookmark in and closing her book the purple unicorn heard the sound of the library’s front door opening and sighed.

“Typical.”

Turning to see who it was Twilight was relieved to see her friends Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

‘At least those two won’t be here for books’ she thought, packing her librarians book stamper away in a draw.

“Hey girls, can I help?”

Dash and Applejack looked frazzled, Applejack responded first.

“Hi Twilight, you haven’t seen Ditsy have you?”

“Ditsy Doo? No I haven’t, are you waiting for a delivery too? You know she’s probably ended up flying somewhere tropical again…”

Twilight eyed the assortment of coconuts, beads, strange idols and a grass skirt near the door that Ditsy had given her as way of apologizing for delayed deliveries.

Applejack and Dash who trusted Twilight to be the last pony to gossip explained the events preceding their arrival at the library.

“Oh my… That’s not like her at all, wait you say you checked everywhere?”

“Yeah…”

Dash replied.

“We’ve been all over town.”

Applejack stated.

“Did you go to her house?”

...

... ...

“You didn’t go to her house?!”

... ... ...

As the two now left the library somewhat sheepishly with promises to tell Twilight what, if anything they found out, begged her not to mention it to anyone.

Twilight hid her concern bid them farewell and as she closed the door she put the open/closed sign to closed.

She was wondering if maybe she should have gone with them when a knock came at the door.

‘Ooohh, if they’ve forgotten where she lives’ Twilight thought, turning back she opened the door.
“Hello”

Twilight looked at the unfamiliar pony in front of her.

“Um hi…?”

“Can I come in?”

“What for…?”

“Because it’s a library…?”

The stallion looked a little confused as he continued.

“This is a library yes?”

Pointing a hoof at the sign outside the tree he gave her a big grin like a foal.

“Umm it’s a little late, I’m closing…”

He gave her the most disarming smile.

“I promise I’ll be quick.”

Now he was giving Twilight puppy dog eyes.

“Do you want a particular book maybe?”

Twilight asked hoping to get rid of this stallion fast.

“Mythical beast’s myths and legends volume two...”

The stallion stood giving Twilight a hopeful look.

“Uh, well I think we might...”

“Great!”

The stallion slid past Twilight and a made a beeline for the shelves.

“Hey... No... Wait...”

Twilight was unsure what to.

“Hey that’s science fiction.”

“Oh, OK…”

The stallion replied switching shelves.

“That’s gardening…”

The stallion stopped.

“Why would you have gardening next to sci-fi?”

“I don’t organize the books.”

Twilight blushed.

“But you’re the librarian?”

He stood giving her a quizzical look.

“Aren’t you?”

“Well yes but my assistant usually....”

She trailed off.

The stallion gave her a sympathetic look that made her feel both relieved and the world’s silliest filly.

“Uh I think... Maybe over there…”

She pointed her hoof towards the bookshelf in the far corner of the room partially hidden by a giant potted plant.

Twilight vaguely remembered seeing a book called Draconicus on a shelf over there.

“Thanks.”

The stallion trotted over and began scanning the shelves.

“You’re welcome…?”

Twilight replied still puzzled, gaining no response in return except a grunt.

Moving to a more than reasonable distance Twilight eyed the stallion with a slight frown.

She silently wished he’d find the book and leave, but wait…! She didn’t know him! Was he even a member? Did he have any intention of returning the book?

Twilight began to tense up and then she realized, if he wasn’t a member then he’d have to register and that would take time!

Her one night this week she was alone to relax and some stranger turns up out of the blue, Twilight remembered Applejack and Dash ‘Oh I hope they’re having better luck than me’ she wondered.

Twilight hopes weren’t too far from the mark, Applejack and Dash had gotten to Ditsy’s house and found the lights on through the curtains.

‘Odd’ Applejack thought, she looked at the sky it was late but the sun was only just beginning to descend slowly.

Dash loudly and impatiently banged on the door.

“Ditsy you there…?”

“Hey.”

Applejack shushed Dash.

“You’ll scare her again.”

Dash looked apologetically at her and it was then AJ noticed she looked exhausted.

Without the constant naps Dash usually had she looked awful after a day traipsing around Ponyville.

Knocking softer this time Dash called again.

“Ditsy please let us in; we just want to know you’re OK.”

“We got muffins.”

“We haven’t got muffins.”

Applejack hissed.

“I know, but it might work...”

“Fine but you tell her that you lied, I’m innocent.”

Dash sniggered knowing full well who had eaten most of the muffins they’d bought in search of Ditsy, and then complained because of the low standard of apple used in the apple muffins.

After a few more minutes of knocking, they were relieved to hear the sound of hooves on wood behind the door giving each other a look that said ‘finally’.

They were surprised when as the door opened it revealed a pony that nervously squeaked.

“Yes...?”

Dash recognised the orange mane immediately.

“Oh hi Carrot Top.”

“Oh Dash... it’s you, can I help you?”

Fear was evident in her voice.

Both Applejack and Dash exchanged worried looks.

“Uh is Ditsy here?”

“Ditsy… No she’s not here, sorry…”

“Have you seen her at all today?”

“Only this morning...”

Carrot Top trailed off her eyes unfocused, she momentarily glanced back indoors as if looking for something, as she did her mane shifted slightly and Applejack noticed a long but shallow scratch partially obscured.

“Is everything ok? You seem nervous, do you mind if we come in?”

Applejack asked this hoping she could get a better look under Carrot Top’s mane.

“What, no I’m fine.”

The scared pony stammered a little before regaining her composure.

“I’ll tell Ditsy you came by.”

With that she disappeared as the door closed.

Applejack turned to Dash.

“Ah’m starting to get worried, something just ain’t right.”

“You and me both” Dash replied.

As the pair walked away, Applejack piped up.

“Uh Dash, why did Carrot Top answer Ditsy’s door?”

Dash blinked.

“Its Carrot Top’s house, Ditsy just lives there.”

“Oh.”

Applejack frowned then blushed.

Dash saw Applejack’s slightly embarrassed expression.

“Just housemates...”

Dash remembered their previous discussion earlier about Lyra and Bon Bon.

“OK.”

Applejack said it quickly turning her head so Dash wouldn’t see her blushing harder which of course meant she missed Dash also turn away blushing.

“So… What now?”

Dash asked awkwardly as she focused once again on the task in hoof.

“Uh, back to Twilight ah s’pose, she’ll know what to do.”

Dash nodded and turned with her friend back towards the library.

Twilight looked at the clock, it was nearly seven o’clock the night had fallen and she was making yet another cup of tea for the strange pony that still hadn’t left yet.

The pony had somewhat mysteriously managed to convince her despite her better judgement to allow him to read the section of the book that he was after and eventually found under the leg of the dining table.

Twilight wasn’t going to allow him to leave with it since he claimed he had membership but didn’t have his card on him, but only after he waved a blank piece of paper in front of her and then seemed confused when she just blankly stared at him.

She was confused, he spoke with such authority but when questioned he was nonchalantly evasive and somehow she had ended up telling him a shortened version of her own life story!

Figuring he’d finish sooner or later and abandoning all hope of a relaxing bubble bath Twilight jumped as the sound of knocking came from the front door.

Looking over at her somewhat unwelcome guest who hadn’t reacted to the door Twilight hoped it was Spike, or Applejack and Dash with news of Ditsy.

Hurrying to the door Twilight’s leg buckled with shock as she opened it.

There framed in the light of the doorway was...

“Princess Luna!!!”

Twilight stammered using her position on the floor to half rise, half bow.

“P-please Miss Sparkle don’t, I mean it’s not necessary r-really.”

Luna wasn’t happy when everyone bowed to her it made her feel unapproachable.

“I’m sorry to disturb you it’s just that I need your help...”

CRASH!!!

Both Twilight and Luna jumped as the sound of breaking pottery resounded through the library.

As Twilight turned to the sound, Luna poked her head through the door to see for herself, the stallion gave them a cheeky grin and a wave.

He looked from the broken pot that had fallen from the window sill he was halfway out of to the two ponies who were staring back at him, mostly the one peering through the door though.

“Um, hello again...”

He spluttered around the book in his mouth.

“…My book!!!”

“…YOU!!!”

Luna screamed deafening Twilight who had cried out first.

“…GUARDS!!!”

“Oh I don’t think we need bother…“

The stallion managed to say before the royal guards quickly descended on him as he struggled to get out the small window.

Moments later...

“WHO ARE YOU…?”

Luna demanded stamping a hoof.

The stallion sat between the two guards in the middle of the library floor, Twilight was just off to the side having just caught up with the situation in hand thanks to Princess Luna, who was interrupted by a few mild half hearted protests from the anonymous stallion.

The stallion sat there, looked around, took a deep breath and said.

“I’m just a traveler, well a passer by if you like.”

He smiled innocently at Luna.

She bristled.

“What’s your name?”

This time one of the guards forcefully nudged the prisoner.

“Ohhh sorry didn’t I say?”

A foal like grin on his face...

Luna blinked, she paused and then recovered.

“HOW DARE YOU, I AM A PRINCESS OF EQUESTRIA AND YOU WILL TELL ME YOUR NAME!!!”

“No.”

Luna faltered, she wasn’t good with ponies at the best of times but this one just unnerved her, it wasn’t that she was scared of him, he just didn’t stop smiling and she watched him she couldn’t help but feel like she trusted him?

She shook her head.

“Why not…?”

She asked rather less forcibly.

“You didn’t say the magic word.”

Now if Luna still had the powers of Nightmare Moon there was no doubt in Twilight’s mind Luna would have shot him into the sun.

“Do you think me a mere filly? You dare mock me in such a way!!!”

Luna was vibrating with power now as the air crackled with energy.

“Well… What’s the magic word?”

He asked expectantly waiting for her to say the word.

The wind deserted Luna’s sails as Twilights and the guards jaws dropped.

For a second Luna looked as if she’d cry, then lowering her head a little she gave in.

“Please?”

“Nope not it… Sorry.”

“W...W...”

And that was all that Luna could manage dumbstruck at his daring.

The guards looked at the princess unsure of whether or not they could start pummeling when Twilight stepped forward and in her most irritated voice she asked.

“Then what is it...”

The stallion smiled before rearing up and shouting!

“It’s… ALON – SY”

*STAMP*

*SHOVE*

As one guard fell sideways and the other cried out as his hoof went numb, the stallion sprang for the still open door past a shocked Luna and almost made it.

“Hey Twilight” why is the door wide open?”

*CRASH!!!*

Twilight’s assistant Spike was bowled over as he was hit head on by the fleeing stallion both going head over hooves into a pile outside the door.

Luna’s guards were still recovering their wits as the Princess with Twilight in tow rushed outside.

The stallion was barely to his feet when Luna tip of her unicorn horn glowing with magic shouted.

“Stop right there in the name of...”

She paused.

“In the name of my sister, I command you to stop.”

Amidst the momentary silence as the stallion weighed his options the most horrifying screaming accompanied by shouts of anger rent the air, coming as it seemed from down the street.

Luna panicked as Twilight froze; Twilight instinctively knew that voice shouting… No it couldn’t... That voice belonged to...

Frightened Twilight shouted into the night.

“…RAINBOW DASH!!! I’M COMING!!!”

The stallion began to run in the direction of the screams, Twilight although frightened followed him without hesitation all the while calling her friends name.

As Luna’s guards appeared beside her she too took off towards the noise, her heart thumping she ran like never before…

Barely moments had passed as those running reached the source of the screams in the mouth of an alleyway between two of Ponyville’s shops, in the ally inadequately lit by street lamps stood Rainbow Dash.

The stallion skidded to a halt and surveyed the scene, Twilight mere seconds behind didn’t stop she ran straight to Dash who as she got closer staggered and fell with a deep wound across her chest and what looked like claw marks down her back.

Twilight was speechless as she nuzzled the side of the now unconscious Dash, as she did though out the corner of her eye she saw another prone form, she gave a strangled sob as she saw Applejack laying a few feet away.

Despite her own fear Luna approached the scene and after a moment’s hesitation at the horror of it all she ran to Twilight who now stood sobbing uncontrollably between her fallen friends with no clue what to do.

As Luna reached her side Twilight looked up and through the tears asked

“What do... …I do?”

She cried out,

“Save them, please Princess Luna I know you can!”

Luna backed away looking around she saw her guards close by one was scanning the surrounding area for the culprit, the other was watching the strange stallion.

Luna focused on the stallion; he had a strange metallic object between his teeth the end of which was giving off a bright blue light and a shrill sound that grew stronger or faded as he waved it in different directions.

“Princess Please....”

Twilights strangled sobbing brought Luna’s thoughts back to the two injured ponies.

“I-I can’t...”

“I know you can Princess, please help them!!!”

Twilight’s voice cracked as she screamed the last part.

Luna was frozen, Celestia had warned her not to play Goddess, saving ponies or choosing which ponies to save was dangerous ground not to be trifled with and as Celestia had said, you can’t save them all.

Luna shook her head and tried to explain this to Twilight but she couldn’t, the purple mare just continued to plead with her.

Luna remembered what these ponies had risked against nightmare moon, if it hadn’t been for them...

She stamped her hoof, consequences be damned she thought.

Summoning all her power and focusing all of her talent and concentration Luna cast the most complicated of healing spells she knew.

The moon princess, Luna, sister to Celestia and maiden of the night spread her wings wide and the world around the group became nothing but light.

The still forms of Dash and Applejack floated as if on strings off the ground, their bodies began to slowly repair, in mere moments Luna’s confidence increased.

Their wounds sealed themselves as newly growing hair covered the rapidly fading scars…

Almost as quickly as it began the light dissipated as Dash and Applejack once more lay on the ground.

Twilight was speechless, slowly she leaned over and poked each of her friends with a hoof; both twitched and were breathing as if asleep.

“Thank Celestia…”

Twilight cheered, her tears still flowing but in a happier sense.

Remembering the Princess beside her Twilight looked up and registering the dreamy yet slightly crestfallen look on Luna’s face, she corrected herself.

“I meant... Thank Luna…”

Cringing slightly she waited for Luna’s response which didn’t come.

Luna had because of her power temporarily linked to her sister, although Luna could tell Celestia didn’t exactly disapprove of saving the two she could still sense that the impending lecture upon her return to the castle would be lengthy.

Looking down at the relief on Twilight’s face said it all, as far as Luna was concerned her sister could stuff the lecture, to the sun with her and her rules she thought.

All this commotion had brought a crowd of onlookers onto the streets and they had gathered at the entrance of the alleyway.
Luna’s guards had moved to said entrance and were blocking it as only they knew how.

Luna looked around as she remembered the strange stallion now left unguarded by the guards; she then saw the tail end of said stallion disappear around the other much darker end of the alleyway.

“No… Not after all this… He’s not getting away this time!”

Luna took off literally and sped towards the alleyway’s end, as she turned the corner she saw the stallion disappear around yet another corner not too far away.

Without hesitation she followed but then cautiously slowed down as she got too near… Maybe following him secretly would yield answers?

She hoped so as followed him with exaggerated care, studying him from a distance as he followed the strange sounds emitted by the metallic tube in his mouth.

Then it hit her! For the first time she was alone! Outside the castle!

Sure she’d been alone on the moon for a millennia, but she had nothing to fear up there, now she was all alone in the dark following a crazy stallion with whatever attacked those ponies running loose somewhere…

She realized right away she was afraid…