• Published 16th Dec 2020
  • 2,056 Views, 165 Comments

Night Train to New York - jz1



During a diplomatic mission to Earth, Princess Celestia goes out in search of pizza and adventure.

  • ...
2
 165
 2,056

Epilogue


Equestria Daily|UPI Newswire - 37 MidSummer, 9 A.N.M | July 9, 1980

-BULLETIN-

TRANSPORTATION/ROYAL NEWS

CANTERLOT - As part of the ongoing modernization effort of Equestria’s rail network, Princess Celestia announced today that the Equestrian Royal Railway will purchase, for an undisclosed amount, all available type ‘GG1’ electric locomotives from railways in the United States including: the United States National Passenger Rail Corporation [AMTRAK], the Consolidated Rail Corporation [CONRAIL] and the New Jersey Department of Transportation [NJDOT/NJ TRANSIT].

In her announcement, Her Royal Highness praised the locomotives’ lengthy and reliable service history in the United States, and expressed hope that they would serve Equestria’s rail network for similar periods of time. When questioned about the advanced age of the locomotive fleet, Princess Celestia responded that each engine would undergo “significant restoration” before entering service, and predicted that their useful service life could be extended “dramatically”.

Most locomotives will enter service on the Manehattan-Canterlot line upon completion of the electrification works in two years time. However, Her Royal Highness stated that one locomotive, AMTRAK #4902, had already been procured by the Royal Palace for testing purposes, and was transported to Equestria via the Fort Dix-Ponyville Portal last week.

--END BULLETIN--

Comments ( 87 )
Dan
Dan #2 · Dec 17th, 2020 · · 1 ·

New Yuck flatbread a pleb.
Patrician Princess requires proper deep dish.

Princess Celestia feels trapped underneath her own crown - her subjects see an immortal goddess, not a pony trapped in a gilded cage.

Why doesn't she just step down and put somebody else in charge? That's what she did in canon.

jz1

10584537
That hasn’t happened yet in canon

10584577
Um that's how Friendship is Magic ended, it's twenty years later in the last episode, Twilight is sole ruler now, the royal sisters passed their power unto her.

jz1

10584586
It hasn't happened yet in the story. At this point Celestia is still in charge.

June 1979. I was alive then.
Something I believe less than half the people that visit this site could say.

This is great, can we get some more of this "universe"? Perhaps like the events between the last chapter and the news article in the epilogue, and answers for questions like: "What happened to Charlie?", etc.

TThe Railway Ponies: Highball
Steel doesn’t worry about a colt’s well-being. Railroad cars don’t have much concern for the bodies of ponies. But, despite the dangers, I wanted to be a railway pony. I wanted to be like Highball.
The Descendant · 24k words  ·  330  2 · 3.8k views

10584650
According to Wikipedia, the median age in the USA is 37.9 years.
That means they were born in 1982 or later.

My father was born before there was science fiction
(Hugo Gernsbeck invented the term in the spring of 1926)

Aw, over already? Charlie got a new job out of this, yeah?

Seriously though, this was a fantastic story, and my only complaint is that it wasn't longer.

Lovely story. Thanks for writing and sharing it with us!

jz1

10584723
Charlie is old and has a government pension - he isn't going back to work!

That being said, he does have a lot of pony -related stories to tell the grandkids.

Faved solely for the GG1 in the cover art. Now to read it!

Most locomotives will enter service on the Manehattan-Canterlot line upon completion of the electrification works in two years time. However, Her Royal Highness stated that one locomotive, AMTRAK #4902, had already been procured by the Royal Palace for testing purposes, and was transported to Equestria via the Fort Dix-Ponyville Portal last week.

And hopefully Charlie and his wife have a new "retirement" destination.

Warning - this work has been rated PG by the Literature Association of Equestria for the following:

  • Mild Profanity
  • Excessive Railway Knowledge

:rainbowlaugh: I haven't read the fic yet, and I'm already laughing. This is a great start!

10584428
Just what I was thinking! But Chicago ain’t got GG1, and that wasn’t the focus, so I’ll let it slide for now.

11/10, fucking amazing, would very much re-read, want moar still. Somehow. I don’t even care what, though seeing some 611, 844, 3985, or 4014 would be wonderful.

10584889
Well, what’s stopping you? You nailed the these folks, what’s so hard about someone who spent their whole damn career in Utah and Wyoming?

Now I have read the fic, and I loved it! Great job dude/dudette! :pinkiehappy:

Equestrian magic leaking from the portal. And attempting to turn the Northeast Corridor into Sodor.

Good read.

Fantastic story :)

Well written but aimless story

jz1

10584986
Finally someone got it!

In a moment of boredom, she strikes out on her own in search of adventure - and New York pizza.

So Celestia is Borris Yeltsin? :trollestia:

10585154
You don't really understand what Slice of Life is, do you?

jz1

10585316
No, mainly because she's sober.

jz1

10584433
That's a very interesting (and not at all incorrect) musical take on this scene.

In my head, it was a very quiet, introspective scene, with a bit of diagetic audio from the open window and maybe a subtle orchestra accompaniment to show her internal strife.

Meanwhile in the real world, I definitely was listening to Disney Eurobeat while I wrote this scene.

10585357
I'm pretty sure 'slice of life' doesn't mean "Half a dozen OCs playing PR politics in a Cold War ponies-on-Earth AU where real world trains get supercharged with magic". Oh and Celestia is there.

Comment posted by fanreader999999 deleted Dec 17th, 2020
jz1

10585389
I mean, in this instance, it kind of does - if for no other reason than I wrote it, and I say that this is a slice of life fic

jz1

10585107
Stamped Passport is almost professionally unhappy. That he managed to get a public facing position in the castle is a testament to his skill level - because he sure didn't get hired for his personality!

jz1

10584864
An interesting take - I have read Jon Bois' works, but that didn't actually have any input on it. Although now I am concerned for what happens when Equestria sends up a module for the ISS...

Dan

10584889

There's always the Atlas Shrugged fanfic scene.

jz1

10585442
Correct!

10584594
Ah in your canon I thought you meant the official, my bad. :twilightsmile:

I love it, the focus on trains is so weird yet wonderful

Excellent stuff: well written. Is there any follow up?

jz1

10585700
A lot of inspiration came from Biscuit, but the writing is all me!

jz1

10585680
Not at the moment - I have no idea what a sequel would be for this.

EDIT - Lies, I figured something out stay tuned for whenever that happens. Or mock me if you see this in 2030 and there's no sequel

Pineapple Pizza!!

Luna's favorite!

This was adorable.

Next up : Celestia falls in love with the DC9?

Well, this was delightful! :D
Thank you very much for writing and posting it.

...Mind. It did occur to me, when Celestia teleported out of New York City, that she might have been able to teleport back to New York City too.
So far, my leading hypothesis regarding why she didn't even think of that is that she'd been too bored to take sufficient note of her surroundings there, whereas she more distinctly recalled the view from the Philadelphia rooms. Or possibly the bathroom window in particular, even.
I think that's a good enough explanation to fill the potential plot hole to my satisfaction (though I am interested if you have a different one). :)

In any case, definitely upvoting, favouriting, and following!


(Also:
"Just don’t go joining Pan Am on company time, okay?"
Heh. That, in context, reminded me of an account I'd heard of an old engine getting to spread her wings a bit. A quick bit of googling later, and I think this was it, or at least the same story:
http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/741/t/259651.aspx
:))


10584766
And something he could leave out on the table for his wife to see, I suspect. :D

10585421
...What.
To be clear, you were replying to "I just realized something I have needed all my life: adult-oriented Thomas the Tank Engine, or similar, stories. This was fucking amazing, and I need MOAR!"? With a reference to Atlas Shrugged fanfiction?
There is Atlas Shrugged fanfiction that could be described as that?

jz1

10586150

Mind. It did occur to me, when Celestia teleported out of New York City, that she might have been able to teleport back to New York City too.

She could have, if she'd seen any of it. The windows in her hotel were blocked off for safety, and the only other things she saw were the inside of the UN and the street outside - there's nothing for her to get her bearings on.

10586161
Right, that's pretty much what I was thinking. If she'd been paying enough attention to specific details (the particular arrangement of things in a hotel lobby, or a room in the UN, for instance), she could have had enough to teleport in, but she wasn't and so didn't.
Though, hm, I suppose you might mean that she'd need sufficient impressions of the broader area around, too.
Either way, though, thanks!

You have, my friend, given me one of the weirdest and best fics I've read on this site!

Dan

10586150
I semi-jest. Atlas Shrugged fanfiction is a thing, and Thomas and Friends fanfiction is a thing, but I can't find any crossover fanfics with both of them.

However, Atlas Shrugged crossovers with Harry Potter, Beavis and Butthead, Phineas and Ferb, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer are a thing. https://www.fanfiction.net/crossovers/Atlas-Shrugged/6322/
Edit, and at least one Ducktales crossover.

And there are a few My Little Pony crossovers with Thomas and Friends.

Dan

10586161

I hope she goes back and tries more than just plain cheese. Celestia and/or Luna developing a liking for pineapple pizza, to the scandalized chagrin of many humans, would be awesome.

Login or register to comment