• Published 31st Aug 2012
  • 7,341 Views, 566 Comments

PonyFall: Leather and Lace - Dusty the Royal Janitor



It was another one of those days. You know the type... the kind where an omnipotent tomfool decides

  • ...
20
 566
 7,341

Ch11: La La La Lies

Sunday, April 15, 2012


“What. Did. You. Do?!” I demanded.

My sister rubbed her eyes as she groggily woke from her sleep. “I’m sure I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I sputtered. “Mom! Dad! Plane! Home! One hour! What is meaning!?” I waved my arms around.

“Oh,” Dani yawned. “Took them long enough. I guess they couldn’t get a plane back for a while.”

I stormed over to her and roughly put a hand on her shoulder. “Why did you call them?!”

She glared at me. “Move the hand if you don’t want to lose it.” I growled, taking my hand off her shoulder. She straightened up and continued. “You honestly didn’t expect me to just not let them know about any of this, did you? After you got caught in a twister, beat up your car, and messed up your arm? They’re our parents, Will. They deserve to know what happened to you.” She cocked an eyebrow. “You honestly didn’t intend to keep them in the dark, did you?”

“I... well...” I stuttered.

“You did.” Dani rolled her eyes. “And you call me cold.”

“But Rarity-”

“I didn’t tell them about Rarity,” she said firmly.

I blinked. “You didn’t?”

Dani rolled her eyes. “No.”

I raised a finger, only to lower it again. “But you were so adamant last night-”

“And then you made me go talk to her,” she said, cutting me off. “Rarity, if that is her real name, and I reached an... agreement.”

I paused. “Oh,” I said, blankly. “Oh. Okay, well, I suppose that’s good.” I scratched my head. “What agreement is that, if I may ask?”

“Simple.” Dani shrugged. “She’s welcome to stay as long as she stays in sight and doesn’t give me any reason to suspect her. And if something valuable goes missing, she starts acting suspicious, or if she hurts you in any way, I’ll wring her pretty little neck. Until then, she has my tentative trust.”

“How very pragmatic,” I muttered.

“I didn’t call them about Rarity the first night she was here, did I? I didn’t see her as a thing to bring up last night either.” Dani smirked a little. “I still don’t believe she’s actually Rarity. I still think it’s more likely that she’s a nutcase. But I’m starting to believe that maybe she’s not dangerous.”

“Well that’s good.” I sighed. “That’s good...” I thought back a little. “So basically we’re back where we were a couple nights ago. You’re going to keep an eye on her and otherwise not bother her, and I’ll try to help her?”

“That’s about the size of it.” She nodded. “In any event, I’ve decided it’s your job to explain her to Mom and Dad.”

I balked. “My job!?”

She rolled her eyes. “Well, you are the one who brought her in here. I’m not going to be the one who tries to convince Dad that there’s a unicorn-turned-human from another dimension staying with us.”

“But you said the two of you reached an agreement!” I protested.

“We did.” Dani remained firm. “I said that I would let her stay so long as nothing suspicious happened. I didn’t say anything about how Mom and Dad might feel.”

“See, this is why you’re cold,” I grunted.

Dani threw up her arms. “Well, what would you have me do, Will?!” she shouted. “I’m going to care about your health and well-being before someone I can barely call an acquaintance! You got hurt in that storm, and Mom and Dad deserved to know about it. For your information, I didn’t ask them to come home. All I did was tell them what had happened. They were the ones that said they’d be on the next available flight home.”

I massaged my forehead with my left hand. “This is a disaster.”

“Speaking of your well-being, how’s your arm?” Dani asked, her voice starting to sound a touch concerned.

I poked at the arm a little, sending a lance of pain through the limb. I winced. “It’s sore, but it works,” I said, flexing it. “Pretty much the whole upper arm hurts a bit, but I can work through it.”

“I wouldn’t.” Dani said. “When someone at the Tae Kwon Do studio gets injured, it’s usually best to let the wound rest for a while. I’d put it in a sling if you can get one.”

“I’m hurt, not crippled,” I protested, rolling my eyes. “I’ll be fine.”

Dani huffed. “Fine. Whatever. Don’t cry to me if you hurt yourself more and end up with permanent damage.”

“I won’t,” I said, striding out of her room. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go deal with the hurricane you’ve brought down on me.”

“You do that.” Dani mumbled, slumping back down in her bed and falling back asleep.


* * *


While I take a measure of offense to being called a manchild, Dani’s recent analysis of my character got several things right. I live my life in stories. If I were a pony, stories in general would probably be my special talent. In fact, one truth I hold close to my heart is that there are few things in this world more satisfying than a well told story. I enjoy experiencing stories of any medium. I enjoy writing stories and, while I don’t mean to brag, I do think I’m rather passable at making them. I enjoy critiquing and reviewing stories as well. Oh sure, there are other things I can do. I can make almost-decent visual art if I really put my mind to it, and I made passable grades in psychology and various areas of history. I’m a halfway decent actor and I’ve participated in high-school and college theater productions several times. I’m also particularly good at puzzling out biology, though most other sciences tend to elude me. And I was a martial artist a few years back, managing to make black belt at the same dojo my sister went to, though I never achieved nearly as many degrees as she did, and five years out of practice had certainly dulled my skills a fair bit.

Stories, however, are my bread and butter. Ultimately, at the end of the day, they were what I was good at. I could tell a good story.

And that meant I could construct a good lie.

It’s something I’m neither proud of, nor particularly ashamed of. When I need to lie, I have a shiny, silver tongue at my disposal. I don’t necessarily like lying, but there are some times when it ends up being necessary.

This was one of those times.

There was no way my parents would accept the idea that Rarity was who she said she was. If I came out and told them ‘she’s a cartoon unicorn from the magical alternate universe of Equestria,’ they’d probably put both of us away. At the very least, they’d kick her out of the house and force her to fend for herself while I got a lecture about illegal drugs or something.

I sighed. My mother could potentially come around to the idea of Rarity being an ex-unicorn over time, as long as I broke it to her gradually, and only after she’d gotten to know -and like- our guest. She was very much like me in that sense. She was open to the impossible, except she was older. She’d been around the block more than I had. She probably wouldn’t accept the idea as readily as I had, even if it was a possible eventuality.

My father... he’d never accept the idea. Never in a million years. He was much closer to my sister in attitude, except even more surly. My sister was at least willing to talk about the level of sense it made, the improbability of other options, and the supposed impossibility of the truth. My father wouldn’t even do that. He’d never in his life even entertain the idea.

And if my father decided she was a loony with delusions of Equinity, well... he’d have the final say in whatever happened to her.

No. This was one of those cases where I’d have to put the silver tongue to use. Ignoring my throbbing arm as best I could, I came up with the cover story and presented it to Rarity as best I could in the twenty minutes we had left.

I found her downstairs after panicking a little when I couldn’t find her in the guest room. She was in the kitchen, eating an apple and drinking a glass of milk.

“Sorry, William...” she mumbled as she heard me approach. “I haven’t eaten in quite some time. In fact, I’m not sure I’ve eaten at all since I got here. I was terribly hungry. So I ‘raided your fridge’ as Rainbow Dash might say.” She rolled the apple around between her fingers – she’d really adapted to human coordination quickly – and took a bite of the apple, grimacing a little and placing it back on a plate that she’d removed from our cabinet.

“Chew slowly,” I said, gently. “If you’ve honestly not eaten in that long then your body may reject it if you eat too much, too fast.”

Rarity nodded, staring at the apple that she’d taken from our fridge. I sat down next to her, my arm resting in my sleeve, and looked her over. There were bags under her eyes, like she hadn’t slept well. There wasn’t a trace of the makeup that she’d worn before, and her sapphire eyes were downcast in sorrow. The once aristocratic-looking pale skin was now sickly looking, and her impeccably styled hair was messy and tangled with bedhead and stress.

“So,” I started, trying to make small talk, “how did you sleep?”

The ex-pony shook her head. “Terribly,” she muttered. “I had nightmares all night.” She didn’t look at me once as she gave her answer. She spent the whole time staring at the apple.

I cleared my throat. “I suppose that makes sense. I had a lot of nightmares after my first car accident. I can only imagine how nearly getting caught in a tornado might affect your sleep.”

She finally looked up into my eyes. “No, William. I’m afraid you don’t understand. I didn’t have nightmares about the tornado.”

I blinked. “Really? Then what-”

Before I could finish my query, Rarity gently tossed a fresh apple at me. I caught it in my left hand and looked at it for a moment before it dawned on me. “Ohhh...”

Rarity nodded. “I miss them, William. It’s only been two days since I last saw them, but... it’s not knowing what happened to them. It’s not knowing whether they’re lost somewhere out in this terrible world or if they’re lost in some other awful world, or if perhaps they all just died in the explosion.” She sighed and took another bite out of her apple, daintily chewing and swallowing before continuing. “I simply cannot handle not knowing. Last night, I dreamed about what could be happening to each of them... to my parents... to the princesses... to my sister and her friends.”

She placed the apple back on her plate and held her face in her hands. I could hear her sob once before she went on. “I dreamed last night that Fluttershy was eaten by one of the giant spiders that lives in caves in the Everfree forest. Then, after waking up and going back to sleep, I dreamed that Pinkie was so tormented by devils and demons that she hung herself. I woke up again, falling back asleep, only to dream of Rainbow Dash, enslaved and being forced to all fours in a human body, only for somebody to hit her and beat her with a whip. Then Applejack, being shot at with arrows. And then Twilight, caught in some mad scientist’s lab with blood all over her. Princess Luna was kidnapped by a sasquatch. Princess Celestia was caught in some Minotaurian Gladiatorial arena. My sister and her friends tormented by Discord before he decided to transform them into statues. And every time I was there on the sidelines, crying out for them. Trying to save them. But I was powerless to do anything.”

“Rarity...”

I tried to say something. I wasn’t sure what to say, though. Rarity just looked so crushed. Suddenly all of my problems felt absolutely miniscule compared to what she was going through.

Rarity, though, shook her head and straightened up. “It’s nothing. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be bothering you with this.”

“No.” I protested. “I’m the one that’s sorry. I’m sorry that you have to go through all of this, Rarity. You don’t deserve this. And after getting some of the worst this world has to offer last night, I understand why you’d feel so worried about your friends and their safety.” I took her hand in mine. “Believe me, Rarity. I understand. I imagine I’d feel exactly the same way if my friends went missing. Especially if I couldn’t even be assured they were in the same world as I was.”

Rarity started to say something but I cut her off this time. “Rarity, I may not have gone through what you’re going through right now. I may not know exactly how you feel. But I do understand. And I promise you now, I will do everything –and I do mean everything– I can possibly do to try and get you reunited with your friends.”

She chuckled, but there was no humor in it. “You shouldn’t make promises you cannot keep, William.”

I sighed. “You’re the Element of Generosity, right Rarity?” she nodded. “Then you know what it’s like to see somebody in need and feel an urge... not just an urge but a compulsion... to help that person somehow, yes? To give up your time or your money or something to help somebody else.”

The purple haired woman nodded again, still not saying anything. I continued, “That’s me and you right now. You need help, and I can’t stand idly by and watch you get crushed under the weight of the world.” I looked to the side and sighed. “True. I don’t have much power or influence. I don’t have any connections to politicians or investigators or anything like that, and short of sheer dumb luck, I don’t know if I’ll be able to help you find your friends.” I looked back at her, dead into her eyes. “But if nothing else, I’ll do everything I can to try and help you get acclimated to this new world. I want to show you, Rarity, that not everything here is bad or out to get you. True, you have to watch your step every now and then, but overall, I think it’s pretty okay here. I live here after all. And I want you to know that my home isn’t all bad.”

Rarity sighed and looked like she wanted to say something, but she didn’t. I kept going. “I know, Rarity. It’s tough. But there is a chance that you might never get home. And if that’s the case then, well, wouldn’t the best thing to do be to make the best of it? To get used to the place and see that it isn’t so bad before you send yourself spiraling into a depression you can never crawl out of?”

She was silent for a full minute. There was no sound except for the ticking of the clock and the pitter patter of Isis on the hardwood floor. Finally, Rarity spoke up.

“Very well, William.”

I smiled gently. “Don’t worry, Rarity. We don’t have to start too far from home. My house can be your security bubble, alright?”

She smirked a little and nodded. “Alright.”

I put my left hand on her shoulder. “And remember: never to give up hope. Your friends are perfectly capable, and I honestly don’t believe that you’ll have to worry about sticking around. Even if they are in different universes or something, remember that you’re the Elements of Harmony. Like I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if they just jumped out of a portal sometime soon. And even if they don’t, your friends are perfectly capable, and surely not all universes are bad. Why, for all we know, Twilight could be the newest princess of Narnia by now.”

Rarity chuckled, a sound that now contained just a touch of humor. “Twilight would make a terrible princess.”

“You think?”

“Oh yes.” She explained. “The poor dear is nice enough, and works wonders when disaster finally strikes, but she panics at the slightest foible in her schedule. She’d never be able to handle the high-stress environment of politics and celebrity.”

“I suppose that’s true.” I laughed. “I saw what happened in ‘Lesson Zero.’ Such a thing would be pretty out of character for her.”

We chuckled together for a minute before Rarity sighed and took another bite out of the apple. She looked a tad downcast for a while before finally whispering, “I still miss them.”

“I don’t doubt it.” I patted her hand. “But you’ll get through this, Rarity. You’re strong. Even if you have to stay here the rest of your life, I know you’ll make the best of this.”

We sat in silence smiling at each other for a while. “But you know what the worst part is?” Rarity said.

“What?”

She pointed at the fruit on the table. “Your apples are horrendous. You simply must switch to Sweet Apple Acres apples.”

We shared a good laugh at that.


* * *

“No! No! Absolutely not!” Rarity shouted, her previously alleviated mood having done a total one-eighty. She was scowling at me with a look that could send the hordes of Genghis Khan running for their mommies. I was standing several paces away from her, doing everything I could not to get slapped again. My face had taken enough abuse in the last few days.

I sighed. I had explained the plan to Rarity about how she’d have to lie about her identity to my parents. I had explained that Rarity should try and pass herself off as somebody I had known for a while. I told her she should try to pretend she was a friend of mine who had also recently graduated college with me; a girl named Shelby, who I knew quite well and had been a part of my Dungeons and Dragons group. Of course, Rarity looked and acted nothing like Shelby. Shelby was a stout, redheaded nerd girl with a penchant for science fiction, anime, and fantasy. Rarity was not any of those things.

Still, I felt it best if I acted like Rarity was somebody I had known for a long time. That would perhaps make it easier for my parents to trust her in kind. I’d told my mother about the Dungeons and Dragons campaigns I’d been a part of and she knew of Shelby already, though I’d never described what she’d looked like before, so by all rights I should be able to convince them of Rarity’s assumed identity.

Assuming Rarity would play along, of course... which at this point wasn’t looking likely.

“Rarity,” I said softly, attempting to placate her. “Please just hear me out.”

“No. No. I don’t want to hear another word of this!” Rarity griped adamantly. “I’ll stand for a lot, but this is simply unacceptable!”

“I know this is less than ideal,” I admitted, “but why are you so obstinate about this? I’m just asking you to use a different name for a while and maybe watch some movies to keep up the act.”

“Because,” Rarity started. “I’ve already lost everything, William.” She growled.

It started to dawn on me. “Oh...” I whispered.

Rarity sighed, her voice softening. “I’ve lost my home, my friends, even my own body! And it’s likely I’ll never see them again.” She trembled. “And now you’re asking me to give up my name as well?” She shook. “It’s the last thing I have.”

I sat down on the couch, patting the cushion next to me so she could sit down too. She was hesitant for a moment, but eventually relented. “I know that must be what it looks like,” I said, “but that’s not what I’m asking of you. You’re still Rarity, you just need to be... undercover for a while.” I shrugged.

Rarity shook her head. “I don’t think I can, William. After everything that’s happened...”

“Look,” I said, “I know it’s hard, but think of it this way. Consider if I were to land in the middle of Ponyville, turned into a pony for no explicable reason. Would you or any of your friends believe I was actually a ‘bipedal monkey-cow’ as you put it?”

Rarity grumbled. “Probably not...”

“And if I were to make these claims at you and your friends, would you be at all willing to put me up in your house indefinitely? Or would you more likely send me to the hospital to sit in a nice padded cell with that one pony who thinks she’s a dog?” I asked.

Rarity massaged her temples. “Alright, I see your point.” Rarity said, straightening her borrowed nightclothes. “But I still don’t like it.”

“I don’t expect you to,” I said, calmly. “That said, there’s not much else we can do. There’s no way that they’ll accept a total stranger in this house, let alone one who claims she’s a pony, no matter how true those claims may actually be.” I shrugged. “The only way they might even possibly let you stick around is if either I or Dani claim to know you personally and vouch for you. Even then, I’m not sure they wouldn’t demand that you stay in a motel.”

Rarity sighed. “Very well...” she closed her eyes. “I guess I have no choice.”

I nodded somberly. “Alright, now if you’re going to pose as Shelby we’ll need to get your story straight, and there are a few things you’ll have to know; some basic ‘nerd’ knowledge to keep you from blowing your cover. Firstly-” I started to say, but I was cut off by Rarity, who held a hand up.

“Will, do you hear something?” Rarity asked.

I listened, only to curse at the unmistakable buzzing noise.

That was the garage door.

“Tits,” I swore, looking at the clock, “They’re early. I pointed at Rarity and motioned for her to get back up the stairs. “They’ll probably want to take me to the hospital to check out my arm as soon as they get inside. Go sit in the guestroom, and if you can help it, don’t come out. If you have to come out, try and be sneaky.”

Rarity balked. “But why?”

“We haven’t gotten a story straight yet. Now please, just wait for me to get back, we can go over things later. Just don’t let my parents see you, okay?”

Rarity groaned. “Fine,” she said, climbing the stairs quickly and passing just out of sight as the door to the garage opened. I stepped forward to meet my arriving parents.

The two of them stepped through the door briskly, my mother passing through first. She was a woman of about average height, standing about five-foot eight, and of a rather average physique. She had greying red hair done up in a French braid, and wore rectangular glasses upon her nose. She wore a black, faux-fur coat and a wide-brimmed black hat, and looked incredibly stressed and frazzled. She was carrying two large bags.

My father, on the other hand, was incredibly large. Coming in right behind my mother, he stood at an impressive six-foot five. He was rather overweight but still very imposing. He was balding, most of his remaining hair a stark white, and sporting a full salt-and-pepper beard. He wore circular glasses and an overcoat over a jacket and tie, and he seemed to have a perpetual frown on his face.

“Hey Mom, Dad,” I greeted, stepping towards them. “Glad to see you home.”

My mother’s head immediately snapped to me. “Will!” She practically leaped at me, wrapping me in a strangling hug. “Oh goodness, are you alright?”

“Well, you’re making it a bit hard to breathe,” I choked out.

My dad nodded at me. “Son.”

“Dad...” I choked out from in my mother’s stranglehold.

“Are you okay?” My mother asked, inspecting my arm. “How’s your arm feel? Dani said there was a lot of blood.”

I winced at her prodding. My arm was still incredibly sore. “It hurts, but I can move it fine. I’ll be okay.”

“You should go to the hospital and get it checked out,” My dad said, putting his bags down in the hallway.

“Come on,” my mother said. “We should get you to the hospital.”

“Mom, it’s fine,” I said. “I just need to rest it for a little bit.”

“You should still go to the hospital,” My mother insisted, looking closely at my bandaged limb. “You don’t know what might be going on there. It could be infected or you could have damaged something in there and you don’t know about it yet.”

“Son...” My dad said, looking at me over his glasses.

I sighed. “Alright fine,” I groused. “Let’s try to make it quick if we can, though. Okay Mom?” I shifted nervously. “There are some things I need to discuss with you when we get back.”

“Is this about your car?” my mother asked. “We can help you with that, of course. We saw it on the way in, it actually doesn’t look too bad.”

I shook my head. “No... it’s something else.”

“Well, alright,” my mother said. “For now, let’s get your arm checked out.

I nodded, my mother bringing me out to her car. “Dad’s not coming?” I asked her.

“He said he needed some more sleep,” My mother revealed. “He was feeling a little ill earlier and he wanted to lie down. If there’s really something wrong with your arm then he’ll come down to the hospital to meet us, but otherwise he said he’s going to take a nap.”

I wrung my hands together, hoping he wouldn’t find reason to go into the guest room. “Well... alright.”

“That’s not a problem is it?” My mother asked, ushering me into her car.

I sat down in the front seat, massaging my wounded arm. “No...” I said, looking back at the house as my mother started up the car and started to pull out. I felt a drop of sweat trickle down the back of my neck. “No, not at all...”

Author's Note:

Jeez. This story has a mind of its own, and it’s pissed off at me... fully intent on kicking my ass all the way to Uzbekistan.
I tell myself “I want the story to go in this direction” and the story says “Okay, but only after a ton and a half of dialogue to set it up.” And then I say “But that’ll slow the narrative down a whole lot,” and the story says “yeah, but you’ll never be satisfied with me unless you do it, asshole. So get to it!” And then I say “couldn’t I just skip ahead to the good bits?” and the story says “You’ll be asking all sorts of questions if you don’t do it, so just get it over with. Besides, dialogue is what you’re best at, so shut up and take it like a man.” And then I’m all

And then I realize that maybe one of the directions I wanted to take it isn’t a good direction, so I backtrack a little to fix up some parts. Only then I realize that the story is sitting there grinning at me and holding a shiv and it stabs me in the butt and hospitalizes me for a month so I can’t write and here’s where the metaphor breaks down.

One of the things I noticed in the last chapter was a lot of people picking on Dani. A lot of people were calling her a bitch and other unseemly names. I was a little surprised. I mean, yeah, she was saying and doing a lot of things that could be potentially seen as ‘bitchy,’ but I had thought I’d gotten across the idea that it was out of anger rather than a common trait of her character. She was meant to be worried and scared at the thought that her brother was in danger, and reacting with an angry response as per her character rather than just being a bitch to be a bitch.

I hope that some of the things she’s cleared up in this chapter will alleviate some of the perceptions of her character. I also hope that the forthcoming bonus chapter (by the way, I’m planning some bonus chapters) will help characterize her a touch better.

As for the parents... I’m not entirely satisfied with their entrance. It felt a little bit awkward to me, though I’m not entirely sure how to make it better. I may end up going back in and editing a few things later.

Egh. I wish this chapter had gone a little further, but it was pushing towards 5000 words and it was beginning to drag. Parents will get home next chapter. Promise. Then, hopefully, we’ll have a bit of a time skip and I’ll be capable of catching up to the rest of the crew.

Assuming the story lets me. Seriously, that guy is a jerk.