• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 3,825 Views, 135 Comments

Star Trek: Equestrian Rescue - Blake Skies

  • ...
19
 135
 3,825

Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven: Shore Leave

Captain’s log, Stardate 100394.7: The USS Evans has completed its unexpected first contact assignment of the planet Equestria. Due to the past several weeks being a rigorous strain on much of the crew, I have ordered shore leave for any crew member willing. It has given us some valuable time to discover more of the planets inhabitants and population. Also, as a show of good will, I have opened up the ship to the inhabitants below who may be interested in seeing how we operate.

“So you mean this holodeck can change into whatever place I want it too!” Pinkie Pie said as she and Viz walked through the corridor towards Holodeck five.

“Pretty much yea,” Viz answered.

“That is so cool! Oh I have so many places I wanna see, maybe the Grand Canyon, or the fire pits of Bajor!” Pinkie Pie started, having learned all of the Milky Way’s tourist locations quite literally overnight. However once the duo reached the holodeck, a lit control panel showed them that it was already active. “Awww, guess we’re going to have to see if another one is in use.” Pinkie pie sighed.

Viz took a close look at the control panel. Then she smiled at Pinkie Pie, “No we can go into this one just give me a second.” She then pressed several buttons on the touch screen, changing the entrance and settings of the holograms within the program ever so slightly.

When she was done, the computer said “Enter When Ready.”

“You sure it’s okay?” Pinkie asked a little concerned.

“Yea he actually likes a flesh and blood audience every once in a while.” Viz answered as the doors opened to the holodeck.

Pinkie peered inside to a roaring crowd in what looked like a massive stadium. The crowd was roaring and cheering at the game going on below that Pinkie recognized as Baseball. Both Viz and the pink pony walked into the bleacher section of the stadium. They found two open seats and sat down near a rowdy group of fans.

“Excuse me,” Viz said, “We just got here, what we’d miss?”

“Blaze got those Yankees and that Sonovabitch babe under control. Only problem is Joe Bush is also pitching a shutout.” The fan answered.

“So no score yet, what’s the inning?” Viz asked again.

“You just arrived to the start of the fifth.” The fan answered.

Viz nodded then looked back to Pinkie Pie, “Good game so far.”

“Um Viz, how did he not notice…?” Pinkie started.

“I changed the parameters so that we look like normal individuals to them.” Viz answered.

“Awesome, that sounds fun!” Pinkie cheered. Just then the Washington Senators took the field. Pinkie pie could see what she assumed to be the Vice Admiral walk out to the pitcher’s mound.

As Blaze took the field, he could hear a high pitched voice cheer for him from the stands. After taking a quick glance, he saw Viz and the pink pony Twilight had called Pinkie Pie sitting in the stands cheering him on. Blaze didn’t have time to wave, but did give them a customary nod. Plus he had more important things to think about right now.

It was the top of the Fifth inning in Griffith stadium, and he was pitching against the Yankees. What made it worse was he was going to face the heart of the Yankee lineup. A devoted Yankee fan himself, Blaze had originally started in the Yankee farm system before being traded to Washington back in 1921. Now he had made Jacob Ruppert regret that decision by becoming the Senator’s second ace behind the great Walter Johnson.

Granted this entire back story was a part of his Holo-program, but thanks to the Hologram Sentience Sentence of 2395, storylines like these were possible. Blaze stood on the mound as Wally Schang stepped into the batter’s box. Wally, the catcher, was the first of three lefties the hard throwing right hander would face. After him came Babe Ruth, and then Lou Gehrig.

With those two names coming up it was no wonder Blaze was nervous. But he had good stuff that day and Muddy Ruel, his primary catcher, was catching everything. Blaze took his set when Muddy put down the sign for a fastball, and then after he agreed, Blaze fired the ball right towards home plate. Similar to his teammate Walter Johnson, Blaze was a side arm thrower but threw the ball with a lower angle than The Big Train.

Wally swung hard, but the ball meekly rolled towards Second Baseman and team’s Manager Bucky Harris. Out number one was recorded after Bucky threw the ball towards First basemen Joe Judge. Then Babe Ruth stepped into the batter’s box. Griffith Stadium erupted into a chorus of boos for Baseball’s most legendary hitter. Babe also had decent numbers against Johnson; which was why Blaze was a bit edgy.

Blaze set just after the Babe stepped. Then the Admiral fired a first pitch slider that got the big Bambino to swing wildly.

“Strike one!” roared the umpire.

After the ball returned to Blaze’s glove, he fired another slider. This one crossed through the strike zone for a called strike two. The crowd roared as Blaze was seemingly ready to Strike the Babe out. Blaze then received the ball back from Muddy, reset for the third pitch, and received the sign for an outside Fastball. Blaze trusted Muddy, wound up and fired. The ball sailed right past Ruth, just nicking the corner of the strike zone. But the call went Babe’s way; “Ball one!” shouted the umpire.

Blaze grimaced, “Come on Jack that had the zone!”

The umpire said nothing. Rightly so, Blaze was frustrated but content. Muddy put down the sign for Blaze’s signature pitch, the fade-away; known now as the Screwball. Blaze didn’t hesitate and threw the pitch. The ball began heading right towards Babe Ruth as if it was going to brush his jersey before diving back over the plate at the last possible second. Shocked, Babe swung and grounded the ball right back to Blaze who fired it too first. Out number two, but Blaze was not out of the woods yet as Lou Gehrig walked up to bat.

Probably one of the most ferocious line drive hitters after Ty Cobb, Lou made Blaze shake more than Babe. And that fact became present when Blaze fell behind Lou with two balls and no strikes. “Okay smart-ass, now what?” Blaze said to Muddy.

Muddy responded by putting down the sign for a fastball. Blaze threw it and she crossed the plate for the first strike. Then before Muddy could put down anything for the next pitch, Blaze wound and threw another hard fastball right past Lou’s swinging bat. Strike two, one more pitch and he’d be through the heart of the Yankee line up. And with Bob Meusel, the Yankee Centerfielder, on the on-deck circle, Blaze needed to get Lou out to end the inning. Muddy placed a sign for Blaze’s screwball one more time. Blaze nodded and threw.

“Strike Three!” called the home plate umpire as Lou watched the Ball go by.

The crowd roared and Blaze celebrated himself by pumping his fist. Then he joined his fellow Senators as they exited the field. As he walked back to the dugout, he looked at Pinkie Pie and Viz who were both cheering for him. Blaze smiled and waved.

“OH MY GOODNESS,” Rainbow Dash said walking into the bridge, “Look at that view!” The moment the cyan pegasus reached the bridge, she instantly tore to the view screen. Within seconds, her face was pressed up against the screen looking out onto the horizon of Equestria. Even Scootaloo was impressed with the sight but let Rainbow do all the talking. “Not even the strongest Pegasi can get even half this high! This is so awesome!!” Rainbow sighed.

“I’m glad you approve, but could you please remove your face. You’re smudging the screen.” Elal said flatly.

Rainbow removed her face and meekly laughed, “Oops sorry. It’s just this sight is so amazing!”

“Amazing? Another term for remarkable, and a term which generates an emotional response.” Elal commented.

Rainbow Dash was beyond puzzled by the helmsmen’s emotionless attitude towards the most amazing thing she had ever seen. “What are you some kind of robot or something?” she asked.

“Hardly, I am a Vulcan. We are a very logical species.” Elal explained.

“Where’s Twilight around when you need her,” Rainbow whispered, “So what’s your position on this ship?”

“I am the Helmsmen.” Elal answered.

“Oh my gosh so you….oh wow that must be so cool! Being able to move at light speed!” Rainbow again screamed.

“If you say so,” Elal sighed as the cyan pegasus walked up.

“So what button you gotta press to make this thing move?” Rainbow asked.

“We already are moving.” Elal answered, “But if you would like to know which of the controls makes the Evans go to Warp speed, I can show you. However it would not be a proper demonstration since I would need approval to perform an actual warp jump.”

“Oh,” Rainbow sighed. She had been hoping to go light speed, but she would settle for this Vulcan’s demonstration. Scoots just smiled.

“So you’re saying this ship doesn’t actually go light speed?” Twilight asked Jurhal.

“Unfortunately no, you would think with how far the races of the Milky Way Galaxy have come that we’d be able to cross that speed barrier. But alas that human put it best with the theory of relativity.” Jurhal answered, “No this ship doesn’t actually go light speed. But it does a good job of making the less than scientifically gifted people think it does.

“No what this ship actually does is here at the warp core; energy is created by slamming anti-matter and matter together. That energy is then fed into the warp nacelles which creates a warp field around the ship. After that the ship begins to tunnel through space and gravity at certain warp speeds.” Jurhal explained.

“Kind of like a…oh what did my books call them…” Twilight pondered, “Oh right wormholes!”

“Close, the warp tunneling is close to being a wormhole without the field actually forming one. You see wormholes are holes in the fabric of space that allow objects to move from one spot to another; however that is done at random.” Jurhal explained, “Here it’s more controlled. Every Starfleet officer learns this in his or her first year at the academy.”

“Wow, that’s flat out amazing!” Twilight answered, “And this core provides that kind of power?”

“That’s correct Miss Sparkle.” Jurhal answered.

“Well Ah’ll be,” Applejack exclaimed surveying one of the Apples in the botany lab, “Ya surely done a great job with these apples Miss Seren. And Ah should know,”

Seren laughed, “Thank you Applejack. Most Romulans are gifted with what humans call, a brown thumb. However the planet I’m from, growing our own foods was a necessity of life. That is why I made botany my hobby, guess you can say I’ve got a ‘green’ thumb.”

“Well you do have a touch Ah’ll give you that, mind if Ah sample one of them here?” Applejack asked holding a very ripe Green Apple.

“I’d be honored.” Seren answered.

Applejack took one bite and was instantly satisfied by the apple’s taste. “Now that’s a good apple. You mind if Ah borrow a few of these seeds?”

Seren just kept laughing, “I’ll see what I can do.”

“And it doesn’t hurt any pony?” Fluttershy asked meekly in the ships medical ward.

“Course not,” Doctor Smith answered holding a hypo spray, “Why these wee things are the most advanced form of medicine delivery. I have yet to have a patient who’s complained about them.”

“Oh…my…” Fluttershy stammered, “It looks safe…I mean if you say so.”

“I don’t think you’d like to test it out lass, it’s not filled with anything that’ll harm ye?” doctor Smith asked.

“Oh no, thank you though. Um…If you’ll excuse me, I have to go find Rarity.” Fluttershy smiled and then walked out.

“Oh Fluttershy darling there you are. Oh this ship is so massive. I swear I could get lost in this thing and never find my way.” Rarity whined. Sweetie Belle simply rolled her eyes as the duo joined Fluttershy as the yellow pegasus exited the turbo lift.

“I don’t think it’s that bad Rarity, I mean most of these…humans…are pretty nice, if you ask them I’m sure they’d gladly help you along your way.” Fluttershy said with a warm smile, “I just came from a very fun talk with the ship’s doctor. He even offered to help me with any of my animal friends while they are in orbit.”

“Well at least you’re having fun.” Rarity grimaced, “You know what the worst thing is? This ship has so many features, a planetarium, and a playground for the children, indoor gardens, and even a library. But it doesn’t have a tailor shop. I would just love to see who designs some of these very dazzling uniforms.”

The trio continued to walk a little bit further down the hall way. Then Sweetie Belle’s eyes fell upon a door marked, “Tailor.”

“Hey Rarity,” She said stopping dead in her tracks.

“Hmm, yes Sweetie Belle?” Rarity asked.

Sweetie Belle pointed towards the door, and she knew she made a mistake when she heard Rarity squeal extremely loud.

After finishing up his baseball game, and dealing with Pinkie Pie’s extremely hyper questions that he had no problem answering, Blaze made his way back to his quarters. Quells was already there, in her off duty uniform and hair still wet from a recent shower, laying out her evening dress gown.

“Don’t tell me you plan on wearing that to meet the princess?” Blaze asked as he walked in.

“Don’t tell me you plan to wear that,” Quells snickered.

Blaze looked down at his dirty and sweaty Washington Senator’s uniform, “Touché. Do you know when she’s planning on beaming up?”

“Sixteen hundred hours,” Quells answered, “So we have a few hours.”

“Good, that gives me time to relax.” Blaze answered sinking into a chair.

Quells stopped what she was doing and looked at Blaze, “Are you serious?”

“Don’t worry I’ve been meaning to clean this room this weekend.” Blaze answered, “Or at least until we break orbit of Equestria, besides it’s only a little dirt.”

“Well if you insist on doing that,” Quells smiled and brought her dress back into the bedroom. When she returned she asked, “By the way, how’d we do?”

“Five to one us, Bob gave me trouble in the ninth but other than that nothing interesting.” Blaze answered.

“How’d the arm hold up?” she asked him.

“This cannon hasn’t let me down yet.” Blaze answered.

Quells smiled proudly before sitting down in a chair across from Blaze, “Are you sure it’s okay to have these ponies roam around the ship?”

“You know I’d be inclined to be a little worried if you have never said that line before, however since you’ve ask it every single time since you left the continuum, I’ll just ignore it.” Blaze answered frankly.

“I’m sorry; you can’t help me being a little paranoid. You try losing your omnipotence.” Quells sighed.

“Frankly I think it’s made you a better person. Your more forward with people now.” Blaze answered.

“And your flattery knows no end.” Quells smiled warmly.

But before they could continue, the ships communications chimed, “Bridge to Admiral Johnson.”

It was Sul’Vin reporting from the bridge. Rainbow Dash’s raspberries could clearly be heard as she imagined driving the Star Cruiser. It was a sound that made Blaze snort, “Yes Sul’Vin.”

“Tran has just informed me of an interesting event that occurred last night during the party.” Sul’Vin answered.

“Tran’s shift just started,” Quells explained, “Probably why he withheld until just now.”

“Okay Tran, go ahead, what do you have to report.” Blaze asked.

[Sir, last night the ships sensors picked up something unusual in the forest outside Ponyville.] Tran explained.

“What sort of signature?” Blaze asked.

[Unsure sir, it was extremely brief and we haven’t been able to pick it up again.] Tran answered.

“I see, pipe the information down to my console, I’ll take a look at it.” Blaze answered getting up and walking over to his wall console. When the data came up on the screen, Blaze was just as puzzled. “And you’re sure we haven’t registered anything like this before?”

“Positive sir,” Sul’Vin answered.

“Well nothing we can do now but wait to see if it’ll come back. Keep me in formed, Blaze out.” Blaze answered shutting the line.

“Interesting, this planet seems to be full of surprises.” Quells laughed.

Author's Note:

I'M BACK BABY! College sucks and that's why I haven't delivered in so long, However i cannot guarantee consistency because of severe writers block but don't worry I'll get it together soon.

Also in reference to Jurhal's Explanation of Warp travel, i got the information from my college's Physics professsor and just ran with it. Theoretically it might actually work too so Trekkies get to work.