• Published 29th May 2020
  • 1,527 Views, 31 Comments

Fighting Fit - Shrinky Frod



Tempest Shadow needs a dress. Rarity is too busy to make one. What other fashionista could understand the requirements of a dress for a pony who fights?

  • ...
1
 31
 1,527

At the Gala!

Tempest curtsied as she met Princess Twilight at the top of the stairs leading into the palace ballroom, clad in a pale golden dress and wearing a simple matching tiara that capped her broken horn, a topaz gem sparkling beneath it on the unicorn’s forehead.

“Well, you certainly didn’t take half measures with your uniform tonight,” Twilight smiled warmly. “Does that mean you actually brought along a date as well?”

“‘Date’ may be a strong word,” Tempest admitted. “But I did bring company. I need a pony to watch the side of you that I’m not on, after all.”

Twilight rolled her eyes and chuckled, turning to start down the stairs.

“Tempest, I sincerely doubt that anything will happen. And if it does,” she added, looking down at her unicorn friend, “I want you to focus on protecting the other ponies here, not me. So, who did you bring along?”

“I actually believe you’ve met.” Tempest followed on Twilight’s right side, eyes scanning the gathered crowd. “I invited a new friend from Hope Hollow to come along.”

“Well, I’m glad that you’re meeting new ponies.” Twilight smiled, nodding to Fancy Pants and Fleur as she passed them.

“With a little help from ones she’s already met,” Rarity tittered as she came up to give Twilight a hug. “I’m glad that you and Kerfuffle got on so well!”

“Ya could have told her why ya were referring her to me, ya know.” Kerfuffle smiled as she followed Rarity over, dressed in a rose gold gown that offset the light tones of Tempest’s outfit.

“Kerfuffle! So you’re Tempest’s date?” Princess Twilight leaned forward, giving the pegasus a friendly hug when she flew up to just a bit beneath eye level with the growing alicorn.

“If ya can convince her to call it that,” Kerfuffle teased. “Fizzy’s still figuring things out. But for tonight, I’m yer left flank.”

“Of course,” Twilight sighed, rolling her eyes indulgently as Kerfuffle took up position on Twilights side. “Just remember that the ambassadors are generally friends of mine, and not being aggressive if they get within arm’s length?”

“I’ll keep that in mind, Princess,” Kerfuffle giggled. “Just try to enjoy yourself, and we’ll stay out of yer way.”

Author's Note:

Short story here, but I've always had trouble with action scenes, and that was kind of the heart of the story right there. Hopefully it pushed in the right direction all the same!

The story originally came out of thinking about why a pony who was into fashion would be named for a scuffle, argument, or brawl - what Kerfuffle actually means, usually. And from there, the idea that she was a bit of a fighter just kind of came out, and the HMS Fizzlefuff sailed forth!

No idea if I'll ever do more with this particular universe, but we'll see.

Comments ( 28 )

...My attention has been drawn. There's not enough Kerfuffle, she's so cute...

Intriguing, best of luck in the contest!

10258803
If I do anything more with them, that will probably come up. But it's something that's fairly rare in Equestria from what we've seen, and that has defined most of Tempest's life due to her efforts to undo it - being with somebody who has learned to live with it matter-of-factly the way Kerfuffle seems to have would probably be a good thing for her.

Hmm... Interesting interpretation of her name actually being relevant to her backstory. With that in mind, I can see her and Berrytwist getting along. Not in a ship way, though, can't see that ship...

10258802
:ajsleepy:
10258834
Yeah, I'll admit that I prefer Tempest with Capper, but that's clear from reading other stories of mine - and why I didn't list this as a romance. They might be able to work as a pairing given some time, but they wouldn't be a couple right off the bat at least.

This was a neat exploration of Kerfuffle's character, and she bounced off of Tempest nicely. There were a few issues with the punctuation, though.

This was sweet. I would like to see more, it's very good and you have my attention.

I could tell that this needs a Comedy tag just from reading the description. Now that I've read the whole thing... It definitely needs a Comedy tag.

Interesting. Nothing spectacular but you've got some talent!

10258803
I specifically use "missing a limb" to exclude that one Make-A-Wish thing. And then explain that if anything it's underselling unicorn horns, as those basically replace both arms and then some.

Ah. Short and Sweet. Great Story!

"Fizzlefuff"
Nice. :)

And a nice story too, I thought!

10258994
Thank you - any points on where you'd have expanded or changed things, I'm open to constructive crit all the time :)

This was fun! You have officially established my Kerfuffle headcanon. Also, I now want to see these two go on diplomatic adventures protecting Twilight.

10260414
Not really. I feel like something's missing but I can't put my finger on exactly what's missing. Sorry!

this was a very cute and adorable, enjoyable read. thank you

ROBCakeran53
Moderator

Welp... I ship it.

A bit of modification to her artificial leg, and Kerfluffle's threat level goes way up.

That was a pretty interesting story It's pretty great that fizzy pop and Kerfuffle got along with each other

Well, this was a small enjoyable story. Helps that’s these two were both done in movie animation.

Such a contrast, but an interesting one nonetheless. I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this!

10261341
I am now imagining Kerfuffle cosplaying as Rose McGowan from Plant Terror.

10261341
10317198
I can see Kerfuffle with a gun leg like the Scotsman (probably crossbow leg so it fits their tech level)

*hopeful tone*
Sequel?

The most interesting ponies from two not-that-interesting works by the same team, eh? And some nice fleshing out for Kerfuffle.

With the rough and tumble background you've given Kerfuffle this doesn't really feel like a crackship and could potentially be interesting, I would love for a sequel to this story to flesh out this interesting relationship.

11327840
Not sure if this pair will be getting one, but a similar version of Fuff may be showing jp soon!

Awwwwwwww! Fizzlefuff! This is so adorable!

10317198
Just having an appropriate weight distribution of metal would be enough. A metal "hoof" and she'd be able to hit like swinging a mace. Sure, an experienced opponent could adjust quickly if they saw her in action. But in a real bodyguard combat situation, that initial surprise whack from the metal leg may well be enough to take out a foe immediately.

Login or register to comment