• Published 16th Apr 2012
  • 2,715 Views, 8 Comments

Teamwork iS Awesome - FestOfAmerican



A "Friendship is Magic" cast ensemble tries to survive LAX airport security so they can fly to Canada and film the show's next episode.

  • ...
6
 8
 2,715

Time for a Vacation

FimFiction.net presents

Written by FestOfAmerican

Based on the characters created by Lauren Faust, and the show “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic”, owned by Hasbro Incorporated.

============================
Special Ending: Time for a Vacation
============================

12:58 PM PST
Saturday, January 17th, 2015
Another undisclosed residential address, Los Angeles County, California, U.S.A.
Breaking the Season 2 moratorium

He never would’ve thought it’d take this long.

Sitting uncomfortably in a metal chair with one foot resting on the bed, James Anon, AKA FestOfAmerican’s attention was entirely focused on the screen of his integrated television and DVD player; a modest setup when compared to the home theater he’d constructed years ago. Lying flat against the TV’s base was the open case of “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Season Two”. Disc 4 was currently inserted in the player.

When the end credits for “Hurricane Fluttershy” began to roll, the author hit the “MUTE” button on the remote, arose from his chair, stretched out his arms and gave a satisfied groan. It had been a terrific episode, and as always, he could take away sound values about confidence and perseverance that Fluttershy discovered for herself. Notoriously impatient for most things in life, FOA admitted that this episode had been well worth the wait.

It was finally over. The 34-month long, self-imposed moratorium on continuing “Friendship is Magic” where he’d officially left off. “Dragon Quest” was the last premiere he caught, just days after which he moved to California. Inspired to revitalize the stalled, months-old original draft of “Teamwork iS Awesome”, James didn’t bother getting premium channels for the Hub with his cable internet, and ignored “Hurricane Fluttershy” and subsequent episodes when they were still posted freely on YouTube.

He wished he could you tell you the devotion to his art was so strong that he never flaked, but spoilers were all but unavoidable online, and he’d tuned in during Season 3 when he learned about Trixie’s and Discord’s return in “Magic Duel” and “Keep Calm and Flutter On”, respectively. Nonetheless, after rereading the final chapter many times, the author was confident that the story’s overall integrity had been maintained. In fact, the synchronizing of each character set, as they fell victim to different stages of security, turned out much better than he’d hoped for, or any of the few publicly released writings under different handles.

The credits had finished, and the opening scene to “Ponyville Confidential” was fading in. FestOfAmerican aimed the remote and turned the TV off. Upon finishing one last special chapter for “TiSA”, he planned to binge on the rest of the unseen episodes, including seasons 3 & 4. It would be just like his stumbling into the herd in August 2011, with only a month to get up to speed before the next season began. He almost felt sorry for the rest of the fandom as it shriveled in the long wait for season 5.

Dropping the remote on the bed, James turned around, picked up the chair and brought it to the worktable where a Sony VAIO UX micro PC and wireless keyboard sat waiting. With Vista onboard, it ran slightly faster than a snail, but the device stepped up when his failing laptop was decommissioned. Its functionality was hardy and stubborn just like its owner. The hard drive was nearing full capacity, however, so he’d have to replace it sooner or later.

He lifted the tiny power switch with a thumb and waited for the boot-up process to complete before logging in and opening the Word document titled: “TiSA Ending – Time for a Vacation”.

The ponies’ story has been told. Now it was the author’s turn.

Creation

Teamwork iS Awesome” was first created on October 3rd, 2011. After weeks of fruitless tinkering with downloaded episodes, I became disheartened when my projects just weren’t measuring up to the videos and animations others were putting out. Writing has always been my strongest form of creative expression, but working with “Friendship is Magic” presented an interesting challenge; a lighthearted, mythological comedy ensemble was quite a departure for someone used to composing detail-oriented, science-fiction and action narratives, a preference which was most noticeable in the “Rainbow Snow” chase sequence.

Sampling the stories of others helped broadened my perspective on what I might be able to accomplish these characters, and then there was “Cupcakes” by Sergeant Sprinkles, a real stomach-turning introduction to the dark side of the fandom. And unbelievably around the same time, I learned about the TSA’s latest public relations headache.


(If you want proof that the truth can be stranger than fiction, then here it is)

That October evening, the two notions crashed and merged together into the story idea I’d been looking for; something bold, simple yet obvious. Being an avid traveler, an airport is literally a home away from home; I’ve eaten and slept in them, and occasionally I’ve flown out of them. The ceaseless flow of activity is intoxicating. Because everyone has somewhere else to go, nothing stands still, not even the terminals which are constantly undergoing renovations. The TSA officers sometimes recognized me as one of their regulars, which is surprising when I think of how many faces they see every day.

Friendship is Magic” is a joint American/Canadian production. With the writers based in Los Angeles, and the voice acting and animation done in Vancouver, I envisioned the “Main Six” going through those same security ritual together in order to continue working on the show, eventually expanding to the final group of 15 characters. I felt a respectful depiction of Lauren Faust to guide them along was absolutely imperative, given how much of her hopes, dreams, and talent she’d poured into the show. The name, “Mrs. Fyre-Flye”, was borrowed from her deviantART page. I would like to give very special thanks to Equestria Daily for their comprehensive September 2011 interview and retrospective with Ms. Faust. It was tremendously helpful in my preliminary research for “TiSA”.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/09/exclusive-season-1-retrospective.html

The first draft featured the cast arriving at LAX curbside sometime between the airing of “The Return of Harmony, Part 2” and “Lesson Zero”, the latter one they were preparing to film. It fell into a rut during Pinkie Pie’s introduction, probably due to not understanding her, or any of the other ponies well enough to portray them faithfully in my prose. Craving fresh ideas, and uncertain where to get them, EQD once again pointed the way, to the north.

Diving in

The reason that January 7th, 2012, is such a pivotal date in the story is that it marks my diving into the fandom, even though I’d deny my bronyhood a while longer. BronyCon Winter 2012 was being hosted at the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York City. I’d never been to a convention before, but with Ashleigh Ball, Andrea Libman, and Nicole Oliver booked to appear as guests, it was an opportunity to do something extraordinary. If I was to properly convey my gratitude for their excellent work on “Friendship is Magic”, I wouldn’t be giving any pony-related gifts, as they’d likely gotten a lot of those already. Instead of bringing attention to myself, I would usher it onto an entire city, an impression that wouldn’t be readily forgotten.

Operation: Orange Bow” was conceived and executed on the bet that neither of the Canadian actors had visited Miami, Florida, before. It would seem like an exotic retreat from a freezing New York and Vancouver. The best souvenirs from a new place are the ones tied to the five human senses; what you see; what you smell; what you taste; what you touch; what you hear. In the days leading up to BronyCon, I dashed around, ironically rediscovering my own hometown, as I sought out the perfect gift packages for Ashleigh, Andrea, and Nicole.

Rainbow Dash’s lightheaded spell on the plane from chapter two, and the souvenirs she, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Princess Celestia brought back in chapter three. All of it was from my actual experiences. With the packages assembled and ready, I purchased their autographs on behalf of friends and fellow fans that couldn’t join me at BronyCon. I handed each actor their presents, retrieved my posters and departed the convention.

(The recipients’ names were omitted for their safety)

The operation’s success was a major breakthrough in the development of “TiSA”. I was standing on brand new, reality-based material to work with, and the possibilities were tantalizing. But “Orange Bow”, which was destined never to be disclosed like this, had greater implications than even I could foresee. You can imagine my disbelief when I learned that Andrea Libman and Nicole Oliver called my bluff and actually visited South Florida in January 2013. Whether they sought out the “Animate! Miami” convention, or vice versa, is anyone’s guess. Then, in July 2014, when Ashleigh Ball and director Brent Hodge released their documentary film, “A Brony Tale”, to the public, the whole thing was blown wide open before my eyes.


(‘I got an incoming call from a Ms. Atlantic Ocean. Will you accept?’ -Applejack, chapter 3 excerpt)

I guess Jean Racine’s quote of “There are no secrets that time does not reveal” is true after all. And they call it the “private” sector. By the way, it was at the premiere of the movie where I finally admitted to others that I was a brony; thirty-five months after my first episode. Not bad, considering how long it usually takes to make up my mind on other things.

The following March, a high-tech employer made me an exciting job offer in the San Francisco Bay Area. Seizing the opportunity, I left Miami weeks later for Los Angeles, where an hours-long stopover allowed me to obtain most of the point-of-view images scattered throughout the story. The two and a half years spent in Northern California is referenced in the chapter 3 flyby.

Teamwork iS Awesome” premiered on FimFiction in April 2012, and right away went on hiatus as I returned to the next BronyCon in Secaucus, New Jersey, this time as a volunteer for the convention’s security team. Looking back on the all the pictures and videos, I can still remember what an incredible experience it was. My interactions with the fans and show staff would later be essential in formulating the final act at the checkpoint.


(Sometimes the best way to blend in is to stand out)

Thoroughly enjoying the fandom now, I found myself attending other events, such as the “Bronies” pre-release screening in Anaheim in November, where I personally thanked Lauren Faust and Tara Strong for “Friendship is Magic”.


(The paper Ms. Faust holds is the summary and chapter list to “Teamwork iS Awesome”. Knowing that she doesn’t partake in fan fiction, I decided only to give her that much)

In June 2013, Andrea Libman’s promoting of the BC Ride to Conquer Cancer convinced me to join the two-day, 200 kilometer bike marathon from Vancouver, British Columbia, to Seattle, Washington. This is a mirrored fragment of Rainbow Dash’s furious flight. Having only acquired a bike and practiced on it within the last two months leading up to the journey, it’s still miraculous to think that I survived it.


(If you can’t see me in this picture, it’s because I didn’t wear a suit for once)

Prolonged slump

Although the time had come to realize the story’s main premise, writing the final chapter had fallen into a prolonged slump due to a mix of apprehension and disinterest. Ponies or no ponies, America’s approach to aviation security is a contentious subject. Chapter four was nearly cancelled following the November 2013 shooting incident at LAX that resulted in the death of a TSA officer. To follow so closely on the heels of such a tragedy with something comedic would have been highly inappropriate.

As time dragged on, another job opportunity in Los Angeles came through last October, and “TiSA” saw a major resurgence; 8,000 words were added to chapter four in one late December weekend. As the January 7th deadline drew closer, I only became more determined to meet it, finding opportunities to work on it whenever and wherever I could. As the timestamp at the bottom will attest, I completed the story in the nick of time.

The kind of art I enjoy most is that which is informed and relevant to the challenges facing our modern society. I don’t draw, edit, or write for popularity, (and not yet as a profession) but because I have something to say on the topic at hand. If others happen to find it entertaining or thoughtful, I’d be flattered, even more so if “TiSA” unseats “Cupcakes” as the fandom’s most controversial fanfiction.

No labor of love

“Teamwork iS Awesome” is no mere labor of love, but the one story I have lived and breathed over the past three years, more than its readers would ever be privileged to know. I am pleased to share at least this much with those who enjoyed and followed it to its conclusion. The idea for a sequel has been brewing for some time, just more research and the right conditions within the fandom are needed.

The community surrounding “Friendship is Magic” continues to mesmerize me with its candor and creativity, as it did when I first discovered it by chance. As season 5 and a full-length movie rapidly approach from over the horizon, I can see it only grow larger. I’m proud to continue playing a role in it, whatever that may be. For us bronies, art does not imitate life; it IS life.

(My niece’s late Christmas present, influenced by the story “My Little Dashie”. I don’t care for sad endings, so I made up a new one)

Thank you again for reading my silly little tale. Until we meet again,

James Anon,
AKA FestOfAmerican

The author saved the document, opened the Internet browser and uploaded the special ending to FimFiction, changing the status of “Teamwork iS Awesome” to “Completed”. Indeed he felt it was, with the right amount of discrepancies and omissions from his brony autobiography, some of them meant for the more astute readers to decipher on their own.

Checking the time on the corner of the micro PC’s screen, he realized how late in the day it was. He jumped out of his seat, grabbed his suitcase and American Airlines boarding pass. The destination was terra incognita to him, but he had no doubt the trip would be fun and be reflected on his next piece of writing.

James turned the computer off, walked to the front door and stepped outside into another gorgeous day in Southern California.

Acknowledgements

FestOfAmerican would again like to thank the following for their invaluable assistance in the preparation and presentation of “Teamwork iS Awesome

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Los Angeles World Airports
American Airlines
Air Canada
Equestria Daily
FimFiction
DeviantART
Google/ YouTube
Photobucket
Wikipedia