• Published 22nd Aug 2012
  • 1,497 Views, 2 Comments

Matchmaker Extraordinares - tomw20



Sparity light ship fic with two OCs playing matchmaker Shenanigans Satisfying ending Anything else?

  • ...
1
 2
 1,497

The One and Only!

Matchmaker Extraordinaires
A MLP FiM Fanfic by Tom and Rachel

It was a typically beautiful morning as the two roommates Inkie and Bubbles walked out of their Ponyville home to go and start their day. Bubbles bounced along happily, feeling good about the day for some reason.

“Any particular reason you’ve got such a spring in your step today?” Inkie remarked as he steadied himself for a day of investigations.

She shook her head and just smiled at him, “I just feel great today, is that a crime?”

“If it is, we should be locked up for sure! I just don’t know what to expect today, but I know that my Inkie sense is telling me it’s gunna be guuuuuuuuuud.”

Bubbles giggled and looked around town, trying to spot anything that could be interesting.

“So what are you doing today? I’m having a complete mind blank as to what you do. I’m a bit of a dick of a roommate...”

“Hey, you are not,” she playfully frowned at him, “I did hear that that baby dragon, Spike, was looking for help from somepony, think we should go see what he wants?”

“Well, I’m always up for helping out somepony, even if I’ve got work to do. Ah, who am I kidding? It can wait a coupla days. Let’s go.” The two walked side by side to the tree library, idly chatting about the other lovely citizens of Ponyville who had been really lovely to them over the past few weeks since they’d moved in.

Before even one of them could knock on the door of the tree library, it swung open and the young purple dragon greeted them, “Hey guys! Come in quickly!”

“How did you know we were coming to see you?” Inkie asked doubtingly.

“I’ve been waiting, and the library has heaps of windows, ya know.”

“Oh kay then.” The two rushed inside, “So what is it that you’ve been needing help for anyway? The whole town has pretty much been wondering!”

Spike immediately shut the door after the two ponies walked in, “Jeeze, well...” he looked at the ground, trying to bring his words together.

“Spit it out buddy, surely we can help you out.” Inkie said with a reassuring smile.

“Well there’s a certain pony I like, but I’ve been trying to get her attention for AGES and I don’t know if she likes me or not.”

“A pony? This might be a problem. Who is it? We’re gonna have to know to help you out mate.”

“Her name’s Rarity. White unicorn with bea- uh, purple hair.”

“Yeah I’ve seen her around,” Bubbles nodded.

“Did you buy some of her stuff recently? I hear it’s top quality.”

“Y-you heard? Well yeah I got her something pretty, like her-” he stopped himself again in embarrassment.

“Spike, you know you can be honest with us. You have to be, or we won’t help you. I’ve noticed her around too, and a mare of that kind of...persuasion, won’t be satisfied with something less than gorgeous. What did you get her?”

“Just a couple of gems...”

“Wow, I would be head over hooves if somepony gave me gems!” Bubbles grinned.

“But Bubbles, you have to understand, that pony is very particular. She’s around gems all the time, so a couple of gems might not be enough to sway her around. Maybe there’s some other way we can help you. Hmmm...” Inkie sat down in thought.

Bubbles paced the room slightly in thought while Spike just watched the two hopefully.

Inkie then thought aloud, “Spike, how clear do you think your intentions are to Rarity? Does she know how you feel, like from your mouth not your sisters?”

“Well...I haven’t even really told her yet.” he looked at the floor sadly.

“...ok. Well maybe the first step is to tell her how you feel.”

“That’s kinda my main problem. No matter what I just really can’t tell her.”

“Well what if we went and spoke with Rarity and tricked her into talking about if she felt anything for you too first?” Bubbles suggested.

“That might work, we’d be happy to help somepony in distress, and you never know, she might be feeling it too!” Inkie nudged Spike suggestively, to get the poor kids’ confidence going.

“Yeah, hopefully...” he just sighed.

“I could go speak to Rarity while you stay here with Spike and give him advice or whatever. Maybe a stallion’s perspective would help Rarity understand what’s going on with you two.” Inkie said.

“Yeah of course! That sounds great.” Bubbles agreed.

Inkie and Bubbles walked out with Spike, both smiling like silly foals at one another, happy to try and help the poor lovesick drake out.

“Follow me, Spike, a little fresh air and a walk will help,” Bubbles said as she turned to walk off in one direction, gesturing him to follow her with her head.

Spike followed along, quite bashful at this point. The yellow pony just smiled down at him reassuringly, waiting until they were out of earshot from anypony else.

“First I need to know, do you know how to treat mares properly?” she asked him.

“So you mean, like, treat them as in?” The young drake didn’t really get what Bubbles was getting at.

“Treat as in, respecting their space and not touching places because you can.”

“Oh... Oh yeah! Of course, yes. Twilight has been very...clear about those kinds of things. I think I know how to be a gentledrake, but I just haven’t had the chance to act like that around Rarity.”

“Well you’re off to a good start then. Just simple things like letting her walk through a door first or something would make her feel cared for.”

Spike then produced his trusty notepad (seemingly from out of nowhere) and started furiously scribbling, “Walk...through...first...cared for. Great, what else can I do?”

“Hmm, well you said you gave her gems once. Gifts every so often like flowers are great too!”

“Flowers? Which flowers do you like?”

“I like daisies best, but she might drop a hint on what her favourites are, so give her those. If you’re unsure, roses will do fine.”

“Roses, ok! Do you know where I can get some roses? I’m just really excited, I want to go and talk to her now!” Spike had a determined look in his eyes now.

“Whoa, slow down, Romeo,” Bubbles laughed, “I think there’s a flower shop here in Ponyville, right? The fields around have plenty of flowers too though.”

“Girls like fresh flowers right? Let’s go to the fields.” Spike then started bouncing along towards the fields, much like Pinkie’s usual gait. Bubbles just rolled her eyes and trotted after him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Inkie had only just made it up to Rarity’s boutique. That was a heck of a fly, it’s all the way over the other side of town, I hope Spike is grateful for all this work, he thought to himself. Walking in, he could see the fashionista over the other side of the room, concentrating on something. She seemed too focused on the gown she was scrutinising over she didn’t notice the pegasus that just entered.

“Um, hello?” Inkie wasn’t the best at talking to ponies he wasn’t already friends with, but he knew he had to help out Spike. The poor creature looked like he was gonna fall over and die.

Rarity did not even look up at him, “Oh hello there, sorry I’m a bit busy at the moment you’ll have to wait.”

“Of course madame.” Inkie took a seat and admired the fair lady’s handiworks. They were quite detailed, but Inkie had no expertise opinion on what they looked like. He wasn’t into fashion.

After sorting out a few unseen crinkles in her piece, she turned to Inkie and gave him a silent look over with her eyes, not particularly liking the way his mane parted, “Yes? And how may I help you other than your terrible mane?”

“What about my mane?” he put his hooves up to his head subconsciously, “I’ve had it this way forever, and it just won’t be played with. It’s just easier for me to keep it this way.” he protested.

“Well it’s not very stylish. I could spruce it up for you?” she seemed eager to please her customer.

“As much as I appreciate the gesture, no thank you my fair lady.”

“Well is there anything else I can do for you? I am a very busy mare.”

“Of course, should I come back later? I did actually come here to chat with you about something, but it can wait if you’re super busy...”

“Depends what you came to chat about, darling.” Rarity walked around her pieces, thinking to herself but still listening.

“Well... I came because I wanted to talk about Spike.”

Rarity seemed to momentarily freeze on the spot but she turned her head to look at Inkie, “Spike? What about him?”

“Well, this is an embarrassing issue for the kid, but he wanted to talk about his true feelings towards you. I know he’s a dragon and all, but surely you can at least think about what you mean to him?” Inkie braced for the awkward moment or angry tirade he usually got when talking to fillies about this kinda stuff.

“I haven’t the faintest clue what you’re on about but I will speak to him at the soonest moment possible,” the ‘tough mare’ facade she was putting on wasn’t really a good one and Inkie could tell.

“If it’s alright with you, I’d like to tell the little guy himself what he can do. He’s almost dying of embarrassment without you there, so if you were to talk to him about this, he’d probably run away or lie to you. No offence of course, madame, he’s just crushing that hard on you.”

She looked at the floor for a moment, deep in thought. She then turned to Inkie and looked quite frustrated, “Thank you for telling me this, but that is enough for now. Out.”

“Fair enough. Apologies for the suddenness of this.” Inkie slowly backed out of the room with a very small smile on his face, while still being as unemotional as possible, so as not to provoke the legendary temper he predicted Rarity would bring upon his flank. She slammed the door closely after him with a loud bang. Now Inkie and Bubbles just had to think of a way to bring the two lovers together, because a composed lady doesn’t slam the door in somepony’s face.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bubbles and Spike were heading back to the library now, Spike holding a bunch of freshly picked assortment of flowers from the fields. She had assured him plenty of times now they would find a way to bring the two together.

“You should go home and get some rest, leave the rest up to us to figure out, ok Spike?”

“Alright then, I still have heaps of chores to catch up on... thanks so much for your help. You said you’d like a gem? I have plenty, what’s your favourite colour?”

“Purple or yellow would do fine!”

“No problem! So I guess I’ll see you two tomorrow then?” he raised his volume as he saw Inkie come back.

“You know it buddy.” Inkie extends his hoof and gives the shook up drake a quick hoof/clawbump.

“Sure will!” Bubbles did the same gesture.

The two waved as Inkie hovers just above Bubbles. “So how did you go?”

“Pretty good! I think he’ll make a great special somedrake for Rairity. How’d talking to her go?”

“Well, obviously not as good as you... She took it like I expected a drama queen to take it. I tried to reason with her but she just got angry and asked me to leave. I think there’s something there though, otherwise why would she get angry?”

“More than likely, it’s what some mares are like. I should know, I am one.” she laughed.

Inkie awkwardly laughed, “Yeah I forget that sometimes. So shall we meet the kid tomorrow? It’s getting pretty dark now.”

“Yeah. We can work out more details at home.”

“Cool sounds like a plan.” The two made their way home, joking about the drake and the unicorn’s silly actions.

Once home they decided on a plan together and waited anxiously for tomorrow so they could put it into play.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two were walking out of the house both somehow happier than yesterday at coming up with a solution to their problems. Then Inkie remembered, “Wait a sec, Rarity and I aren’t on great terms anymore. What can I do? I dunno if a gift would be appropriate...”

“I’ll go instead, don’t worry.”

“Ok then. Let’s go help.”

“See ya soon!” Bubbles called as she cantered off to Rarity’s boutique, while Inkie whipped off to the library.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Bubbles arrived at the boutique, she knocked on the door just in case she didn’t want customers just waltzing so she called out, “Hello?!”

“Hi darling, come on in!” Rarity called out in a sing song voice.

She trotted inside and saw that Rarity looked happier than how Inkie said she was.

“How can I help you today darling?” Rarity fluttered her eyes, flattery helped her move more stock.

“Well I came here ‘cause I heard how busy you always are and thought you could use a break.” she said, trying to sound convincing without giving away her true intentions.

“You want to help me? Why ever would you want to help me? I’m not that busy I can’t do all my own work! Besides, how much dressmaking have you done in the past? You don’t look like a fashion pony to me...” Rarity went to scrutinise Bubbles closer.

Bubbles took a step back, “None, but I can still see you need a break. You even sound stressed.”

Rarity noticed how close she’d actually gotten to Bubbles and skipped back a step almost on instinct, “Oh, um yes, apologies for that. Actually maybe I could use some help. But not with the dresses, that’s all me, haha!” Rarity’s eyes shifted uncomfortably.

“Yeah? What do you need?”

“Well, it’s a matter of the utmost secrecy, so I trust we can keep this between us.” Rarity fliped her sign to closed.

Bubbles feined confusion, “Uh ok then. What’s this all about?”

“It’s about my... Spikey-wikey.” She put on a really silly face, like she’d been shot in the flank with a tranquiliser dart.

“Spikey-Wikey?” she tried not to giggle.

“Uhhh, yes.” Rarity didn’t even know she looked like that, she’d got it so bad. “He gave me flowers yesterday! And I noticed he was even more of a gentledrake than usual. I don’t know what’s got into him, but I LOVE IT!” She yelled the last part.

“Well that’s great!” Bubbles grinned.

“But there’s a problem...” Rarity looked away into the distance, like she deserved the Oscar.

“Yes?”

“He’s... a BABY dragon. It’s... weird...”

Bubbles paused for a moment as she thought it over. She forgot about that one small detail...

“Well, a dragon that can at least walk, talk and even write can’t really be considered a ‘baby’.”

“Darling, have you never met the drake? He can be quite childish at times... but others, he’s my rock you could say.”

“How many other dragons are in Ponyville? I think I know the one you’re talking about.”

“Well maybe you’ve seen him around, but you couldn’t POSSIBLY know him like I do.” Rarity said with an all seeing look of suspicion at Bubbles.

“Well, maybe not but you don’t have to snap at me about it,” she looked a bit upset at Rarity.

Rarity draws back a little at this, realising what she was doing. “Sorry, ah Bubbles was it? I was getting a little... intense shall we say. This situation has been troubling me. What can I do about it?” She tapped a hoof to her chin in thought.

“Weeell you do seem a bit on edge and stressed. Maybe a walk would help...?”

Overreacting like it was the best thing she’d ever do, Rarity jumped up, “YES. Oh I mean, yes, that would be splendid, would you care to join me?”

Forcing herself not to do a hoofpump in joy, she just smiled, “Sure thing!”

The two walked out of the shop, both enjoying being outside in the sunshine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inkie knocked on the door of the library, in the special code the drake and the two had agreed on and waited for the familiar knock on wood by claw. The matching knock came from behind the door and it swung open to reveal Spike standing there, already excited, “Hi Inkie!”

“Buddy, you wanted to do this in secret, so keep it down. Shall we go out for a few, is Twilight distracted enough?”

“Sorry... Yeah, she’s just reading up something important.”

“Don’t be sorry little man, just keep yourself in check. Ladies like the cool guys, y’see? They don’t seem to be into loudmouths as much.”

“Ok then.” Spike stepped out and shut the door, making sure not to slam it as to not disturb Twilight.

The two then walked over to Sugarcube Corner to grab a quick bite to eat while they discussed the mares in their lives.

“So did you talk to Rarity since we last talked Spike?”

“Well, sorta. I gave her the flowers Bubbles helped me pick.” Spike grinned triumphantly.

“Aaaaaaaaaaaand? What did she think?”

“She liked them, I think.”

“And did she thank you for your... generosity?”

“Yeah. Then slammed the door shut...”

“Oh. Man. I’m sorry, I’m gonna be honest with you, that’s not a good sign.”

Spike looked down at the ground, “She’s a bit like that to a lot of others though.”

“Yeah, that’s true. Well, let’s go over some tips. Next time, you have to be more of a man, don’t just let her throw you out of the boutique! Don’t let her use you for anything that doesn’t benefit you in some way, it might seem selfish, but being overly, “soft”, only makes her see you as a marefriend rather than a coltfriend.”

He just nodded, “Oh, ok. I’ll remember that.”

The two continued walking, with Inkie dropping advice every so often to the poor drake. They were getting close to the designated meeting area. He just hopped Bubbles managed to get Rairty out as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rarity walked alongside Bubbles, breathing deeply and enjoying the light scent of the flowers in the air. It reminded her of Spike’s generosity and thoughtfulness and brought a confused look and slight blush to her face.

Bubbles saw her expression and tried not to smirk as she was being friendly here, “Feeling calmer now?”

Rarity snapped back to attention and quickly responded as if nothing had happened, “Yes darling, much better. Although it seems as if I haven’t eaten enough this morning, would you care to join me for a late lunch?”

“Um, depends where you’re intending to have lunch.”

“You’ve been very... generous, with your time, where do you like to eat?”

“I like grazing out in the fields mainly...” it wasn’t exactly a lie, she just didn’t want to turn around and go back when they were so close to getting the two to meet up.

“Uh, right.” Rarity was of course not keen on the idea, as she has her aversion to filth, but since she was the host as it were, went along with it. “So where shall we go today?”

“Er, further up the path is a good spot.” Rarity nodded in response, still mentally preparing herself for getting close to so much filth.

But as they continued forward, Inkie and Spike came into view. Bubbles acted like it wasn’t planned at all.

“Hey, isn’t that Spike coming towards us?”

Rarity’s suspicion came back in full force as she gazed across the field at the two colts. “Yes... yes it is.” Rarity looked back at Bubbles, “Is there something going on here I should know about?”

Bubbles faked being confused and just looked at her bewildered, “Huh? Dunno what you mean.”

As Rarity seemed to be staring at Bubbles for a hint of truth, the two boys had approached the two mares.

“H-h-hi Rarity?” Spike coughed out. Inkie nudged him, and Spike then puffed his chest out and confidently spoke, “I mean, hello Rarity my fair maiden, what brings you here today?” With a big typically cheesy, or what Spike thought was macho and manly, smile.

Forgetting her suspicion of this ever being a setup, Rarity was smitten with Spike’s gentledrakeness, “Oh! Well, just a walk.” she gestured towards Bubbles beside her.

The two were looking at each other a little awkwardly, until Bubbles nudged Rarity and whispered, “While he’s here though you should totally go for it.”

Rarity then collected herself for what seemed like the thousandth time since she met these two.

“Spike, how about you and I go off for a chat? On our own?” She fluttered her eyelashes at the now lovestruck drake.

“W-well sure!” Spike replied, his heart feeling like it was in his throat.

The two subtly walked away from the two aspiring matchmakers, both looking at each other with knowing silly grins on their faces as they watched the ‘couple’ walk away.

As the pony and dragon neared a tree, Rarity did a pirouette almost on one hoof and almost jumped over to Spike, “What is going on here? Why are these two ponies so interested in us?”

“U-us? Dunno...” he shrugged, trying to stay cool and calm.

“Well, I think you are holding something back from me, Spikey-wikey.” She whipped her tail around him, knowing that he’d never been able to keep anything from her.

He gulped and stared into her azure eyes, trying to think up a good excuse on the spot. He’d have to come clean one way or another, “Well I just, really wanted...wait, ‘Spikey-wikey’?” he felt himself blushing.

“Wanted what my little Spikey?” Rarity feigned ignorance, but just wanted to hear him say it, as it was proper for a lady of course.

He took a deep breath; no trying to escape now, “Truth is...I just...reallyreallylikeyou,” he stuttered quickly.

Rarity gasped slightly. She had had an inkling Spike would admit his feelings to her and was hoping he would say this but wasn’t really expecting it in the end. She let her alluring smile down for a moment just to plainly smile at Spike and nuzzle him gently.

“Spike, I knew you had a crush on me, after all you nearly destroyed the town, and stopped because of me. That was... a lot for one lady to handle. And now you and I, the thoughts I’m having about us, it is a lot to process over a day. I really do... like you Spike, never think I don’t darling. But I need some time to think this over.”

It took a moment for Spike to process Rarity’s reply. He felt the warm blush on his cheeks go hotter with embarrassment instead. He slipped out of Rarity’s tail loop and just looked at her sadly.

“Spike, you know you’ve been such a good friend to me right? I would never think less of you for anything you’d do. Just give me time, and I’ll give you an answer. I don’t mean to hurt you, I would never do such a terrible thing...” Rarity then started to look off into the distance, with a hurt look on her own face.

Spike looked around, and saw Inkie wildly waving at him. He noticed Inkie motioning towards Rarity and giving him a, well, a hoof up. Needless to say, it made sense that Inkie was telling Spike to push it a little further. Spike started wildly gesturing to attempt to make the two go away and stop making the other two so nervous and embarrassed.

Inkie of course, in his infinite wisdom, thought that Spike was looking for more encouragement, so he started to fly up into the air and do some flips and maneuvers to try and get the kid excited. Rarity of course noticed this and turned to Spike again, tapping him on the shoulder to get his attention.

“How about we discuss this at my boutique later tonight? IN PRIVATE.” Her voice carried across the field to the other two, who took the hint and slunk away quickly as to not invoke the wrath of Ponyville’s drama queen.

He shook his head, “Forget it, I understand you don’t feel the same way,” he started to walk off in the direction he had come from.

“No Spike, please don’t leave me!” Rarity quickly trotted after the drake, and lent down to give him a quick kiss on the cheek. “Please, come by the boutique after sunset, without any company if you could. Please, at least do this for me?”

Spike froze up for a moment at the kiss, but it didn’t help. He was too angry and upset to reply and just pushed her away before running off before she could catch up.

Bubbles and Inkie looked at each other with an identical look, communicating silently, “That didn’t go well...”.

Later that afternoon, about an hour before sunset...

Bubbles and Inkie had finally caught up on their chores all around their apartment and were taking a walk to get some fresh air after being cooped up for so long.

Neither of them had even mentioned the earlier events of the day, until Inkie piped up, “I really hope Spike’s all right... He seemed absolutely heartbroken.”

“I felt second hand embarrassment for him... I wish I coulda explained mare language to him better. She clearly meant well!” Bubbles frowned at the ground, angry at herself.

“Bubbles...” Inkie put his hoof on the mare’s shoulder, “You can’t blame yourself for what happened... we only meant well. If it’s anyone’s fault, it would have been mine. I took that signalling stuff too far. And the kid listened to my advice, I’ve never even had a proper marefriend!”

“Yeah...I’ve never had any good luck with either gender myself. But bucking dammit we have to make those two work!”

“We can’t force them together... Wait, is that who I think it is?” Inkie looked off in the distance to see the small drake walking towards them, and as he spotted them, an angry look immediately folded out on his face. The drake then turned away from the two and kept walking.

Bubbles and Inkie looked at each other, nodded and then madly rushed towards Spike to make things right. “Spike, WAIIIIIIIIIT!” the two called out simultaneously, as Inkie tripped over and sent the two crashing down at Spike’s claws.

He jumped back and just glared down at them, “Leave me alone...you ruined it for me.”

“We only meant well,” Bubbles said, repeating Inkie’s words from before.

“Are you going to see her tonight? Don’t you think that someone inviting you to their house after sunset is a good thing, well in your situation anyway?” Inkie mused to the drake.

“I’m not going...” he folded his arms stubbornly.

“But why? Are you scared? You know... a real man wouldn’t be scared.” Inkie hoped he’d take the bait.

“If you haven’t noticed, I’m not a man. I’m still a baby dragon!”

“It doesn’t matter how old you are, Spike. A real man is defined by his actions, not his age. You can still prove it to Rarity, by going and showing her how mature you are in dealing with your problems. Besides, I don’t think this is a problem for you.”

Spike looked at the ground for a moment then looked up at Inkie with a determined look on his face, “Yeah...you’re right! Is it almost sunset yet?”

“Kinda is right now. Go see her, Spike!” Bubbles encouraged him.

“Right. See ya!” he called as he dashed off towards the boutique.

As the sun set, the drake reached the boutique, completely out of breath. He knocked on the door, a little more frantically than he wanted to. Just stay cool Spike, you can do this, he lost himself in his encouraging thoughts.

There was a muffled sound of something falling over from inside and quick hoofsteps and then the door opened, with Rarity standing there as proud as always.

“Spike, you’re right on time! Come on in.” She waved the dumb struck drake into the boutique and quietly closed the door. “Would you like a cup of tea? I can see you’ve been running, you’re super sweaty,” crinkling her muzzle as she fetched a towel and set a pot of tea to brew with her magic.

“Uh yeah, thanks.” he said after catching his breath somewhat, catching the towel and wiping himself dry.

Rarity trotted back into the room with a tea tray and with a small gasp ran up to Spike, tea tray in tow, “No, this won’t do.” She grabbed the towel off the kid and proceeded to vigorously rub all the spots he’d missed in his half hearted attempt to get clean.

He tried not to giggle as she tickled him slightly, “Ok ok you can stop I’m clean!”

Rarity looked over the drake, satisfied with her work, but embarrassed that she’d got so carried away. “Sorry, you know I have an... obsession with cleanliness, darling.”

“Yeah, I know.” he made sure not to roll his eyes.

Rarity, with a small blush on her pale white coat just visible, set down the tea and biscuits, with topaz and ruby encrusted cookies for Spike. She then approached the table to sit and prepared for a, hopefully, civilised discussion.

“Wow, thanks!” Spike said as he took one of the cookies, followed by a sip of his tea.

He then sat there with the awkward silence ringing in his ears. One of them would have to say something first...

Rarity looked at the drake and began to sweat. She kept telling herself that there was no reason at all to do so, but she knew deep down she knew exactly why. She opened her mouth, and dryly said, “Spike?”

“Yeah, Rarity?”

Rarity took a rare moment to compose herself. “Spike, you know that I’ve always valued you as a friend right?”

Spike slowly nodded, unsure of where Rarity was going, expecting the worst.

“I... don’t know how to feel about you. I’ve always wanted a knight in shining armor, but I never for once considered that it would be a whole other species. You are the kindest and most generous drake I will ever know. I don’t really care about your age, you’ve shown maturity well beyond your years. The only thing that holds me back is... not who, but what you are. And I really do love you darling, I really do. But I just don’t know how I love you. Yet.”

Spike just stared blankly at Rarity, unsure how to react or respond. He took a few moments before finally collecting his words, “So if I was a pony, it’d be different?”

“Don’t get any ideas Spikey. Yes it would, but you’re not and I’m okay with that. We will... we can...” Rarity couldn’t quite pony up the courage to finish what she wanted to say so badly.

“So...you’re willing to try...us?” his voice was almost a whisper.

Rarity slowly looked up at the drake with happy tears in her eyes and nodded a yes, a small smile allowing itself to spread across her face. She walked towards Spike, as her tears dried. Spike got up and wrapped his arms around her neck, holding back his manly tears.

They stayed in their slightly awkward pony-drake embrace for a long moment. Neither said anything the entire time.

Finally Rarity sniffled back the last of her happy tears and kissed the drake on the forehead, “Now, let’s have some dinner shall we my knight?”

“I would be delighted, my fair mare,” he took a small bow.

The two walked happily side by side and had a beautiful candlelit dinner, and both curling up beside the fire while outside the winter coolness went on.

The next day...

“So, you think they went ok?” Bubbles asked worriedly as she walked alongside with Inkie through Ponyville.

“I think they’ll be alright. They’ll still be friends at least, I hope.” Inkie had a worried look on his face, and gulped down some fresh air, wary of the wrath of the drama queen pony.

“I wanna go see Spike and see if he’s al-

Bubbles got cut off as somepony called out from behind them, “Hey uh, you two!”

Both Inkie and Bubbles turned around to see Twilight running up to them.

Out of breath, the purple pony motioned the two closer, “Spike has been around you two a lot lately. He didn’t come home last night and I’m really worried. Do you have any idea where he is?”

“Last we knew he was at Rarity’s...” Bubbles replied.

“Rarities’?!” Twi then dashed off in the direction of the boutique, leaving the two in a trail of dust and a little bit of her mane in her wake.

“Holy hell on toast, we’ve got to get to the boutique before Twi does something terrible!” Inkie readied his wings for flight.

“Calm down, Inkie; what’s the worst that could happen?” Bubbles called up to him as they gave chase towards the boutique.

As the two approached the boutique, Twilight ‘crazy mane’ Sparkle was all but beating down the door to her assistant. “SPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE, where are you?”

Rarity calmly opened the door and spotted her friend, “Oh hello Twilight, how can I help you today?” she smiled as inconspicuously as possible.

It didn’t work of course. “I know Spike was here last night, what has been going on between you two? And why are these ponies tied up in it?” Twi gestured wildly to the now frightened ponies.

“I can explain!” Spike called as he ran to the door as well. He then felt it was necessary to just whisper in Twilight’s ear so he did so.

“Hmmm... Ok then. I still don’t approve of you running off without telling me.” Twilight looked down at her assistant with some piercing eyes.

“Sorry Twilight...” he looked down guiltily.

“That’s ok, Spike. Every now and then is fine if you want to...sleep over at Rarity’s, just let me know next time.” she smiled at her friend and her assistant, a warm and comforting smile.

“I’ll let you know next time. This was really short notice anyway.” Spike then looked around Twilight and saw Inkie and Bubbles standing behind her, “Morning guys!”

“Good morning loverdrake! How’s it hanging?” Inkie giggled.

“Really good. Thanks for all that you did for me you two.”

“No worries,” Bubbles bowed her head slightly.

The two awkwardly looked over at Twilight, who was cocking her head slightly. She didn’t get it.

“Anyway, we’d best be going now... lots of stuff to do... heheh.” Inkie then flew back to his apartment so he could avoid the awkward between the other four. It was really weird. But still heartwarming.

“Wait for me, you idiot!” Bubbles called as she galloped after him.

Satisfied with their work of bringing the unicorn and dragon together, Inkie and Bubbles got back to their daily routines. From time to time though they’d see the two walking around Ponyville together, happily smitten with each other. Most ponies agreed they were an odd couple, but the fact they were happy with each other was all that mattered.

Fin.

Comments ( 2 )

I really liked it. I like how you took canon content and gave it an in-depth story, you did it splendidly sir.

Also, just curious. Inkie is you and Bubbles is Rachel, right? That is the vibe I got from that :raritywink:

1141418 It is but a shameless OC insert.

Thanks for the feedback mate! Love the DP by the way :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment