• Published 18th Apr 2020
  • 901 Views, 61 Comments

Firestarter - Northguard



A new mare comes to Ponyville, but something is weird about her

  • ...
4
 61
 901

A new friend

Two months later

The morning was quiet and the warm glow of Celestia's sun came slowly over the hills. The sunlight came through the windows giving the feeling that this was going to be a wonderful morning and for many it was, but not in Blaze's case. She woke up with sunlight lightly touching her eyes.

'This is going to be a wonderful morning.' she thought, but then...

BANG, BANG, BANG

Someone hammered at the door. Blaze was so startled that she jumped out of bed and hit the floor hard, very hard.

"Wake up Blaze! Your going to be late!" Blaze heard Rainbow Dash's voice shout outside.

"Ugh...This is going to be a loooong day." she said to herself before walking to the front door and opening it.

Outside stood Rainbow Dash with a wide grin.

"Come on it's your first day! You don't want to be late!" Rainbow Dash said full of energy.

"Does the first day have to be so early?" Blaze asked annoyed.

Rainbow shrugged. "Helps you get into the habit." she replied.

"Whatever. Show the way." Blaze said as she shook herself and took flight.


About an hour later they arrived at the academy and Blaze quickly realized that this was going to be just like a boot camp. They landed at the main area and Rainbow went off to talk with Spitfire. Blaze went for a walk on her own and when she came to a part where there seemed to be no one around she sat down and looked at the sky. Then she heard sobbing. It was faint, but she heard it. Somepony was crying. She followed the sound and came to a small building at the end of the area the academy covered. In the shadow of the building she found the source of the sobbing. It was a Pegasus mare sitting up against the wall and sobbing for herself. She was alone, nopony was around to comfort her. Blaze felt that it was now her job to comfort this mare.

"Hello." she said carefully while slowly walking towards the mare.

"What do you want? Have you come to criticize me?!" the mare lashed out without looking at Blaze.

Blaze flinched at this reaction and recoiled a bit.

"N-no of course not. I don't even know who you are." Blaze said while she walked closer.

"D-don't l-lie to me." the mare said between sobs.

"I honestly don't remember the last time I lied." Blaze said as she sat down next to the mare.

She placed a hoof on the mare's shoulder who flinched and looked up.

"Who are you and why are you being so nice to me?" the mare asked.

"My name is Blaze Firestarter. Did you do something wrong?" Blaze answered.

"Innocent ponies were hurt because of me." the mare said before breaking down in tears again.

A look of sadness crossed Blaze's face as her mane dimmed in colour and fell straight. The mare noticed this and looked up at Blaze.

"We have one thing in common already. Innocents have been hurt because of me too." Blaze said as steam came out of her eyes.

The mare's eyes went wide in surprise at this statement. She wiped away her tears and started to speak in a more confident voice.

"So. Why are you at the academy?" she asked.

Blaze's mane regained their colours at the change of topic.

"I won a race where Spitfire was the judge and she said that if I won I could enroll at this academy without requesting. Why are you here?" Blaze replied.

"I have been given a second chance at this academy. I bucked up real bad last time." the mare said with guilt in her voice. "I have hit rock bottom and I don't what to do.".

"You know what is good with hitting rock bottom?" Blaze asked not really waiting for a reply. "When you do, you can't fall further. You can only go one way. And that is up." Blaze continued.

The mare seemed to regain more confidence at this statement, but it was still something holding her down.

"That's not everything. I have never had a real friend." the mare said.

Blaze was taken aback by this, but quickly came with an answer.

"You know. If your looking for a friend you only have to ask. They won't come to you. You come to them. If you want a friend you only have to look around and find someone who is like you in personality or interests. They don't have to be famous or rich. They can be anyone. I think your first friend might be sitting right next to you." Blaze said.

"Y-you'd do that for me?" the mare asked taken completely off guard.

"If you want to." Blaze replied softly.

"T-thank you..." the mare said and gave Blaze a big hug.

"Don't mention it." Blaze said returning the embrace before they separated. "Think you can walk out there now and become a Wonderbolt?".

"Yes ma'am." the mare jokingly said and gave a mocking salute, to which they both laughed at.

"I haven't heard your name yet though. What is it?" Blaze asked.

"Lightning Dust." the mare answered.

Author's Note:

Oh snap. Lightning Dust is back people:pinkiegasp: