• Published 28th Mar 2020
  • 320 Views, 4 Comments

For The Longest Time - DougtheLoremaster



Fluttershy prepares for vacation while reflecting on her own insecurities and fears in life. And more importantly the stranglehold they once held over her and how she broke free of those bindings.

  • ...
3
 4
 320

Reflection and Relaxation

For the longest time, she had been bound by her fear; her insecurities. The warm, pale yellow of her fur was the result of fading; avoiding the sunlight. Not wanting to be seen by other ponies, she had hidden in her little, wooden cabin during the day. The shadows, the dark, public speaking. These and countless other fears had gripped her for the longest time. She turned to smile at the little bunny rabbit that had been brushing her mane.

“Thank you Angel, sweetie.”

Naturally adept with wildlife, The Pegasus mare had been gifted with the unique ability to talk and empathize with animals. Her only companion for the longest time; the little bunny was a mute.

That didn’t stop him from letting her know how he felt. He had grown up by her side and had seen her every hoofstep in life. He had watched as the one he viewed as his mama broke down in fear, and had been there to comfort her when no other would. It hurt for him to see her so unsure, so timid. He had wanted her to be confident for the longest time. To see her smile, he would have gone to any length; no matter the extreme. His actions were surely frowned upon by those that viewed them, but his mama understood. That was all that mattered.

He nodded, and tapped his foot against the oaken dresser he had been standing on. Hopping down, he grunted as he pulled open the giant wooden drawer. The pink mane of the Pegasus, flowed and drew around her in flowing motion. She called out,“I think a nice green scrunchie would be just perfect today, Angel.”

For the longest time, she had feared standing out. She had preferred to be unnoticed, unheard in a crowd. Just the thought of expressing herself had caused her to shiver and quake. She rarely wore flashy or exciting outfits. She stared at herself in the mirror as Angel carefully pulled back her mane, placing the scrunchie upon her. She smiled as she admired it in the mirror.

For the longest time, she would have had palpitations seeing herself in such a way. The green scrunchie was made of shimmering silk and matched the flowing dress she now wore. The elegant sea green summer dress was embroidered with ribbons of dark green lace.

“Angel it looks wonderful. Thank you, could you please get my sandals, sweetie?”

As her bunny companion went to grab her special sea green sandals from the doorway, she rose from the hard oak stool upon which she had been sitting. She stood firmly upon her hooves. She steadily made her way over to the hat rack; where a straw-weave sun hat rested. She picked it up and stared at it; at the sea green ribbon that adorned it, lost in thought.

For the longest time she had hated the idea of going out into Ponyville during the day; much preferring to remain amidst the animals she cared for. Gingerly, she placed the hat upon her head, taking great care not to ruin her neatly brushed mane. Nearby the scurrying of little paws told her Angels was running back.

She grinned as she watched the almost comical display of Angel carrying her sandals determinedly; that were almost twice the size of him. She gave him encouragement as he placed the casual hoofwear before her.

“That’s a good boy, Angel! Mama is so proud!”

Turning to glimpse herself in the mirror once more, she admired her ensemble. It was frilly, it was delicate. Oh, it’s just proper for such a lovely mare, Darling. The words of the past echoed in the recesses of her mind as she gave a small giggle. Angel watched in fascination as his Pegasus mother stood confidently before the mirror. He smiled. For the longest time, he had wanted nothing more than to see her smile. He could never tell her that of course, but she knew.

He watched as she stepped with confidence into the sea green, crystalline designer sandals. Custom made and modeled to her hind hooves, the sandals were quite elegant. The straps across her hooves were etched with spring flowers.

For the longest time, her fears and insecurities had bound her, preventing her from enjoying her time with others like her. For the longest time she had feared others' opinions of her.

“Flutter-shy Dar-ling! We're here!~”

Fluttershy’s baby-blue eyes, shined with a light Angel, had always wished for her. He may have been unable to show her on his own for the longest time his prayers went unheard. Now, however, something had changed. She gave a large sunny smile as she looked down at her bunny companion.

“You know what to do.”

Angel nodded and held up the list Fluttershy had given him; a list detailing all the animals, chores and various activities he had agreed to. He watched as she took a deep breath, before flinging open the door to the cabin. The shining light of the sun filled her eyes, blinding her momentarily. How long had it been since she had been outside? How long had Angel watched her cry and shiver in the dark? Now though, his Mama wore the biggest smile as the blinding, blessed light of warmth faded from her vision as she stared at them.

For the longest time, Fluttershy had been afraid. She stepped towards them. Towards the six pony mares that were waiting for her. With each small step, her timidness faded.

Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Applejack, Starlight and Twilight. Standing there, the six shouted encouragingly towards her.

“Oh Dar-ling! That dress looks phenomenal on you!”

“Dang Sugarcube! You shore cleaned up all nice like!”

“Wow...Fluttershy, that dress looks totally awesome on you!”

“It’s great to see you smiling! Ready to go have some fun?”

“You look like a fairy from one of my favorite books. It looks great on you.”

“Trixie would be so jealous to see me traveling with a mare dressed with such flair!”

All six of her friends were dressed to kill in their own fancy couture as stood there. Gemstones, silk, platinum; fancy outfits that were worth their weight in gold. Yet, the only thing that really stood out as stunning in Angel’s eyes was the smile that graced his Mama’s face.

For the longest time, it had been missing. Now it could be seen; a full gleaming grin of pearly white. Her eyes were sparkling baby blue, no longer a dull hopeless gunmetal gray. Angel was happy, his Mama was smiling. Fluttershy turned to look at him.

“I’ll be back in a week, Angel, Mama’s going on vacation.”

He had already known and for the longest time had encouraged her to do just that. Fluttershy had turned to grin at Rarity. “I can’t believe you got us reservations at the Horseshoes Resort and Spa.”

For the longest time, she had been bound by her fear; her insecurities. The warm, pale yellow of her fur was the result of fading; avoiding the sunlight. Not wanting to be seen by other ponies, she had hidden in her little, wooden cabin during the day. The shadows, the dark, public speaking. These and countless other fears had gripped her for the longest time. That was before she had met them; friends she could call her own.

Comments ( 4 )

This is a sweet little fic that makes for a good read before going to bed. Well done, Doug, and thanks for writing this excellent piece of art!

10152359
I appreciate that. I'm glad you enjoyed it.~

Short and sweet. :twilightsmile: What stood out to me most was Angel's role in this, it's so rare to see him portrayed in such a positive light in fanfics.

10152541
I've honestly always felt that maybe what we saw, was never the real angel bunny. That the extremes the bunny went to; were to combat the extremes of Flutter's shyness.

Login or register to comment