• Published 28th Aug 2012
  • 684 Views, 15 Comments

The Long Road Home - The Midnight Stalker



Lonesome Has Finally Reached Whispering Sands and has came closer to his goal. Along the way he's p

  • ...
1
 15
 684

Town

The Long Road Home

By The Midnight Stalker

(Remember I'm Watching You)

This is my first FoE side fic. I've been inspired by Kkat and my friend Cascadejackal. Kudos to you, My Friend.

The sun was setting just as he reached the edge of town. It had been a long, hard trip, but it was well worth it. He hadn't gotten what he had left for, but he was closer to his goal... He hoped. Now all he wants to do is rest; Three days with little or no sleep is hard on a fellow. It didn't matter how tough you are. He knows that he has things to do, but for now he just doesn't care.

He slowly makes his way towards his house. It isn't much, but he doesn't care. It doesn't matter anyway. As soon as he was done here he would be moving on, as he's always done. Being a Nomad is who he is; He was and always will be a wanderer of the Wasteland.

He enters his house. It will always be just a house to him, never a home. He has his reasons as to why, and anyone who's smart knows better than to ask why. Ask once and you will be warned, ask twice and you'll be met with a punch to the face. And if you're dumb enough to go on, you'll have the shit beat out of you. Thankfully most ponies are smart enough not to ask too many questions.

He's glad for that.
_________________________________________________________________
After a long day he's just glad to be back. The last week was rough, but it's something he's used to. Really, he enjoys the work. He likes helping others, but only The Boss truly understands him. As only he truly understands the Boss. They both have a past that they don't wish to speak of and both know not to ask. But he'll worry about The Boss later. Now, it's time for sleep.

Sleep seldom comes easy for him and tonight is no exception; His head is filled with thoughts of Them. They haunt him all the time, but it's always the worst at night. Not even The Silence can comfort him then... Soon enough, though, he does drift off to sleep.
________________________________________________________________
He wakes up with the sun, like always. He is, as are most ponies, a creature of habit. That's okay. Life is easier that way. But for now he isn't concerned with thoughts like that. For now his focus is breakfast.
As he leaves his house others look at him, curious. They didn't see him as he came in last night. He gives them a smile. A few smile back. Some continue to stare at him, but he ignores them, trudging his way to the market in the center of town. Today he has plenty of Caps, so he thinks he'll buy himself something good.

He walks up to a familiar stall with a familiar, kind looking mare. She's a nice mare. He likes that, but not all are nice.

"Morning there. How're you doing?" Asks the mare in question. She a lovely mare, he admits, but nothing more.

"Fine "

"You sure?"

"Yes"

"Oh! I swear, I'll get you to say more than that yet. Now, what can I do ya for?"

"Well just give me some eggs and a few of those." He points over at something wrapped up in foil. She nods and grabs a few along with the eggs in front of her.

"Okay. Sounds good. That'll be 60 Caps"

He digs out some Caps and gives them to her.

"Will this be enough?"

"Yes, plenty. Now how about sneaking in last night? Oh don't look away. You know how the Mayor is about stuff like that. She doesn't want the whole town going crazy just because you don't-" He holds up his hoof, stopping her mid-sentence.

"Enough. It's my business, not yours. Now, goodbye."

With that he leaves the dumbfounded mare. She may wonder about him, but he won't tell her anything. Ever.

__________________________________________________
He trudges back across town to his house. He takes care to avoid others, but isn't outright rude.

His house wasn't anything to look at, but it was his... For now.

When he enters, he looks around and sets everything down.

"Well, hello. I see you're finally back."

Standing in the doorway to his room is a midnight blue pony with a silvery gray tail and mane; The Boss. The Boss is an enigma amongst ponies. Nopony know much about him.

"Hello, sir. Nice to see you. Sorry I haven't came by yet; Been busy getting resettled. Long trip, too. I was kind of tired last night."

"Oh, I understand. That's none of my concern, I'm just glad you're back in one peace." The Boss smirks as he says this.

"Thank you. Now, I assume you're here on business. You're not the type for a social visit, after all."

"Yes, you are correct. I am indeed here to see how things went."

"Well I would love to tell you that I found it, but I didn't." With that a frown forms on The Boss' face. "But I do have a lead. It's a long shot, but about three days south of here is a good sized town. Not sure of the name off-hoof, but there are some old ruins nearby that haven't been touched yet."

"Astounding! Not touched in 200 years? Why not! Why think of all the valuable things in there!"

"Well... The locals won't touch it because the place is supposed to be haunted. And anyone else who's gone in there hasn't come out. Personally, I think it's just something to do with the local conditions; Like how Hoofington has enervation, but something different."

"I guess that makes sense. So, when are you going to check it out?"

"Not for some time yet. I need more information on the place first; Like where in the ruins it might be, or If anyone knows why the place is taboo to start with."

"Ah! I knew there was a reason I liked you."

"So... How about your end of the deal?" That makes the Boss grimace.

"Well, I'll be honest; I haven't got a single solid clue or lead. I think I'm close to finding out what may have happened, but that's about it. Nopony is really sure what happened afterwards. Sorry, Lonesome. "

"It's alright" Looking rather less enthusiastic he looks away. Then he looks up when The Boss speaks again.
"I know we agreed not to pry, but it would help if I knew exactly what you're looking for."

"I know, but I just can't speak of it. And you know that. "

"Okay. I'll leave it be... for now. I promise to keep looking, but only if you can promise to find it."

"I will. I'm leaving again tomorrow. I'd hoped to stay longer this time, but there are more pressing matters out there. Now if you'll excuse me I'v got a breakfast to make. Stay if you want, but I really don't care."

"I'd like to but, as you said, there are more pressing matters afoot. I do have other obligations that those to you. Farewell."

With that, The Boss goes to the front of the house and out the door, leaving Lonesome to his breakfast.