• Published 28th Aug 2012
  • 684 Views, 15 Comments

The Long Road Home - The Midnight Stalker



Lonesome Has Finally Reached Whispering Sands and has came closer to his goal. Along the way he's p

  • ...
1
 15
 684

Prologue

The Long Road Home


By The Midnight Stalker

(Remember I'm Watching You)

This is my first FoE side fic. I've been inspired by Kkat and my friend Cascadejackal. Kudos to you, My Friend.

The Silence is deafening.

It pervades everything. He's gotten used to it, so it doesn't bother him anymore. He's had a long time to get used to it, after all.
They always say the the Wasteland is a cruel unforgiving place... He's found a lot truth in those words, but it isn't the whole truth. Even in the depths of his despair he's always found hope; Hope for the future. Hope for himself. And above all, Hope for Them. And if Hope is ever truly lost, there's always The Silence.

Lonesome...

That's what he is, so that's what he tells others when he's asked for a name. It's simple and it's true. Like The Silence, he's gotten used to it. Many have travelled with him, but none have ever stayed long. He's glad for that; He doesn't want to drag them down with him. So, he remains what he is. Lonesome.
A traveler or a wanderer of the Wasteland... He doesn't care what he calls his chosen profession. To him it doesn't have a name; He does what has to be done, nothing less and nothing more. He'll help you if it helps him, if not he'll wish you luck and be on his way. It's the way he is and the way he prefers things to be done.

Time...

Time is something he once thought he had plenty of. Now he knows time is a commodity like anything else. It isn't sold or bartered by any mortal hoofs, but by whatever higher power watches over us. For better or worse he accepts that as the way things are. Not that he could change it if he wanted... Oh, how he wants to change it...

Them...

He does everything for Them. He hasn't seen Them in a long time... It's why he remains Lonesome, even after all these years. He still has Hope for Them, but he's a realist; He knows that he may never see Them again and it leaves a hole in the soul of his being. So he marches on, simply trying to survive. For Them.

The Boss...

He works for The Boss. And The Boss works for him. Like himself The Boss doesn't use his real name either, and he's okay with that. He understands. He and The Boss are a lot alike, so that's why he works for him. The Boss has his goals and Lonesome has his. So as long as they both work towards the same goals they will work together. The Boss is his only real regular contact with others, and that's okay. The Boss is the same way. That's why he likes The Boss, and that's why The Boss likes him.

Complex...

Yes, he's a Complex pony; He knows it. Others know it too. The few he sees more than once know not to ask questions. Especially about The Boss or Them. The one asked most often, 'Why call yourself Lonesome?', is always met with Silence. Yes the very same thing that drives lesser ponies to insanity. But, not him. He lost his sanity once and still bears the scars, but he's better for it... It's part of what makes him Complex.


Authors Note: As stated above this is indeed my first foray into the FoE verse created by Kkat. I've tested out seveal ways to write a story and this seems to be the best way for me. I hope you enoy this story for I have poured my soul into it. Ok not ALL of it. As we all know that would just kill me, So only part of my soul is within this work. May it survive the ravages of time.

And another shout out to Cascadejackal, who has asked to be my editor. Thanks man.