• Published 29th Nov 2019
  • 1,882 Views, 57 Comments

The Wall Between Us - Godslittleprincess



Flash Sentry and Twilight Sparkle finally put down the masks.

  • ...
4
 57
 1,882

Chapter 5: WHY?!

“Oh my word!” Rarity cried. “To think that all this time, Flash had his heart set on Twilight, our world’s Twilight! The whole time!”

“For the eleventh time, Rarity,” AJ snapped, “we know.”

All seven of the Rainbooms had rushed over to Applejack’s barn as soon as school ended to talk about their recent discovery. Unsurprisingly, Rarity was carrying on as if her favorite ship from her favorite TV show had sunk.

“Oh, woe is me!” she continued, sprawling herself on a pile of hay that she had earlier shaped into a fainting couch. “How could I have been so wrong about what Flash’s heart wanted?!”

“Oh, don’t feel bad, Rarity,” Fluttershy replied, sitting herself next to her distraught friend. “I’m sure it will all work out, and everyone involved will be satisfied in the end. Isn’t that all that really counts?”

“Guys, maybe we should focus more on how this affects Twilight and less on Rarity’s imaginary matchmaking skills,” Rainbow Dash pointed out. “By the way, Twilight, how DO you feel about this?”

Twilight stared at the floor and wrung her hands. She could feel her face heating up and her stomach churning, but she had no idea which emotions were causing them.

“I, I don’t know how I feel,” she finally answered. “I mean, Flash seems like a nice guy, and I’d be lying if I said that I don’t find him even just a little bit attractive, but,” she paused, “why me? Out of all the girls he could have fallen for, why me?”

“Uh, because he likes you, duh,” Pinkie replied.

“Yes, but WHY does he like me?” Twilight exclaimed emphatically. “Last time I checked, I’m not his type.”

“Flash has a type?” Rainbow Dash asked with a confused look all over her face.

“What do you mean by ‘type’?” AJ asked, also confused. “The only thing that the last two girls Flash liked had in common were that they were both from Equestria.”

“I don’t know. What kind of girls do popular, good-looking rocker types usually go for?” Twilight huffed. “Whatever it is, I’m pretty sure I’m not that type of girl.”

“Guys,” Sunset interrupted, “have any of us considered the possibility that he’s just going after our Twilight to replace the one that he can’t have?”

If Twilight wasn’t freaking out enough already, Sunset’s suggestion made her freak out more. She took a deep breath, getting ready to scream, but Applejack interrupted before she could.

“That’s ridiculous,” AJ retorted. “He’s been around this Twilight long enough and often enough to know that the two of them aren’t the same person. If he wanted to use Twilight as a rebound girl, wouldn’t he have done it earlier?”

“Gosh, Sunset,” Pinkie innocently pointed out, “for a girl who used to date Flash, it’s like you don’t really know him at all.”

Sunset flinched and guiltily looked away.

Instead of screaming, Twilight slowly exhaled, letting out a long sigh as she did so.

“Girls,” she began, “there’s another reason why I’m having a hard time believing that Flash actually likes me.” Twilight bit her lip before continuing, “Flash knows about Midnight Sparkle. Not only that, he was there when it happened, and he saw me turn into her, with his own eyes.”

The rest of the girls, sans Rarity, shared bewildered looks with each other.

“And?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“What kind of a guy sees a girl get turned into a literal monster by her own worst desires and emotions and says, ‘She’s the one’? Nobody, that’s who!” Twilight emoted.

“Well, a guy who’s really into supervillains might,” Pinkie pointed out. “Ooooh, or maybe an actual supervillain. Wait, is Flash a supervillain?”

“Pinkie, focus, and no, I’m sure Flash isn’t a supervillain,” Sunset scolded. “Twilight, the Midnight Sparkle incident isn’t going to be a relationship deal-breaker. I mean, all of us were front and center when it happened, and that didn’t stop us from wanting to be friends with you.”

“Yeah,” Applejack agreed. “Besides, how did Timber react when you told him about it? I mean, obviously he’s fine with it now since the two of you are still together.”

Twilight started wringing her hands again as her eyes darted away from Applejack.

“You never told Timber, did you?” Sunset deadpanned as she read Twilight’s face.

“How could I?” Twilight cried, her voice cracking with shame. “If I had, he would have called me a freak or a bad person and dumped me on the spot. The relationship would have been better off with him not knowing about that part of me.”

“Twi, I’m no love expert by any means, but knowing and accepting the worst parts of the person you’re with is part of the deal,” Applejack retorted. “Do you think that my parents lasted long enough to have three young’uns pretending that the two of them were perfect?”

Twilight groaned. “I’m just making all the mistakes with this relationship, aren’t I?”

“Eh, not really,” Pinkie Pie began to ramble. “I mean, it’s not like you ever stood him up for a date or ghosted him or went crazy on him because he got you a gift that was the wrong color or tried to murder his family and friends in a jealous rage with a chainsaw or…”

“Alright! Alright!” Sunset exclaimed, refocusing the conversation. “So, here’s what we know. One, Flash likes Twilight and is going to tell her how he feels about her soon. Two, Twilight is breaking up with Timber. Eh, by the way, Twilight, when ARE you breaking up with Timber?”

“Tomorrow after school at the café,” Twilight replied.

“Okay, does knowing that Flash likes you change any of those plans?”

“Well, no, but I’d honestly rather not have to deal with Flash until after I break up with Timber.”

“Ooooh! So, you want us to distract him from telling you he likes you until tomorrow after school. Well, consider it done, and I’ll do it wearing this mustache,” Pinkie declared, pulling a fake mustache from who knows where and putting it on her face.

“Or we could just tell Flash that Twilight already knows how he feels and needs more time to figure things out,” Applejack noted.

“But then, we’d have to tell him that we were eavesdropping on him,” Rainbow Dash countered.

“Um, wouldn’t Twilight have to tell him about the eavesdropping anyway when he makes his confession?” said Fluttershy.

“I love a good elaborate plan as much as the next person, but I think I’m with Applejack on this one,” agreed Sunset. “Friends should be honest with each other. Besides, I lied to Flash way too much while we were dating. I’m not putting him through that again.”

“Hey, Rarity, you’ve been,” Twilight called out, “uncharacteristically quiet through all this. What do you think we should do?”

“It doesn’t matter what I think!” the purple-haired drama queen screeched. “Why should I give advice on matters of the heart? I obviously know nothing about it!”

“Oh brother,” Applejack muttered.

“Well, I guess we’re going with the honesty route then,” Twilight concluded as Rarity continued to wail.

“So, uh, what are we going to do about her?” asked Dash, pointing to a still hysterical Rarity.

“Leave this to me,” Pinkie said with a comically serious look on her face as she marched over to Rarity. “You know, Rare, Twilight is going to need help coming up with the perfect outfit to break up with Timber in tomorrow. She was going to ask you for suggestions, but you’re clearly in no condition to help her.”

Suddenly, Rarity’s expression changed into calm indignation.

“No condition to help?!” Rarity exclaimed. “With a fashion problem?! Please, Ms. Pie, perish the idea. Now, if you ladies would excuse me, I MUST GET MY SUPPLIES!”

Author's Note:

Yeah, I'm honestly a little unsure about how I wrote Rarity and Pinkie Pie in this chapter. :applejackunsure: