• Published 29th Nov 2019
  • 1,882 Views, 57 Comments

The Wall Between Us - Godslittleprincess



Flash Sentry and Twilight Sparkle finally put down the masks.

  • ...
4
 57
 1,882

Chapter 4: Being Prepared

On Monday morning, Flash sat on the bleachers by the soccer field with his best friend Micro Chips, writing something in a notebook. Flash stopped writing and growled under his breath as he savagely tore out the page he was working on and crumpled it in his hands.

“Dude, that’s the fifth time you’ve done that,” Micro scolded. “How hard can it possibly be to tell a girl how you feel about her?”

Flash turned to him and shoved the pen and notebook into Micro Chips’s hands.

“If you think it’s so easy, why don’t you write down what I should say?” he snapped.

“Hey, hey, calm down,” Micro replied. “I just think that you’re making this harder than it needs to be. Why don’t you just tell Twilight whatever you told your grandmother?”

“Uh, because she’s not my grandmother,” Flash incredulously stated the obvious.

“By the way, what DID you tell your grandmother?”

Flash paused, trying to find the best way to summarize his conversation with Grandma Birdie.

“The gist of it, I told her that I had developed feelings for Twilight, that Twilight is an amazing person with a good heart, and that I’d still want to be Twilight’s friend even if she rejects me,” Flash replied.

“And you can’t tell Twilight those same things why?” Micro pointed out.

“Well, it’s not that I can’t tell her that. It’s more like I’m worried that I’ll get nervous and tell her the wrong thing.”

Micro sighed and rolled his eyes before quickly scribbling down a few phrases on Flash’s notebook.

“Here,” he said, passing the notebook back to Flash. “I put down a few general bullet points that your love confession needs to cover. You can use them to keep track of what you need to say.”

Flash quickly looked over Micro Chips’s list and nodded appreciatively.

“Well, I guess this could work,” Flash conceded, “but maybe I should practice a few times before I actually confess.”

“Whatever floats your boat.”


That same day during lunch, Twilight Sparkle sat at one of the cafeteria tables with her six closest friends, the Rainbooms. They were made up of her best friend Sunset Shimmer, the bold and loyal athlete Rainbow Dash, the down-to-earth and honest farmgirl Applejack, the elegant and generous designer Rarity, timid yet kind Fluttershy, and wild and funny Pinkie Pie. They were the first friends that she ever made, and she couldn’t be more grateful for them, especially now that she was about to tell them that her first serious relationship was about to end.

“Um, girls,” Twilight spoke up. All six of her friends turned to look at her. “There’s something that I have to tell you, but you can’t tell anyone else. Can I trust you to do that?”

“Darling,” Rarity replied, “of course, you can trust us. We’re your friends, aren’t we?”

“Heh, you’re one to talk, Rarity,” Applejack pointed out. “Aren’t you the biggest gossip out of all of us?”

That last sentence got a laugh out of Sunset and Rainbow Dash. Rarity crossed her arms with a scowl and gave AJ an indignant humph.

“Even so, I can be trusted with my friends’ confidence, Applejack!” Rarity snapped outrageously.

“Guys, guys, why don’t we just let Twilight tell us what she wants to tell us?” Sunset intervened before turning to her best friend. “Okay, Twilight, what’s up?”

Twilight took a deep breath and then exhaled. She looked each one of her friends in the eye and said, “I’m going to break up with Timber Spruce.”

“WHA—?!” Pinkie Pie nearly screamed before Rainbow Dash pounced on her and clamped her hand over Pinkie’s mouth.

“Oh, dear,” uttered Fluttershy. “Did something go wrong?”

“No, no, it’s nothing like that,” Twilight clarified. “It’s just that…,” she trailed off. “I don’t know. I’ve just been getting less and less attracted to him as the relationship went on even though as far as I can tell, nothing has changed. I just can’t help but feel as if maybe Timber isn’t the guy for me. You understand what I’m saying?”

“You know what?” Sunset answered. “I think I do. It’s the reason why I don’t want to get back together with Flash despite a certain someone pressuring me to, repeatedly.”

Sunset turned and gave Rarity a stink eye visible from the other side of the cafeteria.

“What?” Rarity cried defensively. “Flash Sentry has the heart of a prince. Any girl in the school would be lucky to have him. I’d go for him myself, but he is far too straightforward for my taste in men. Besides, considering how much you’ve grown as a person since the two of you broke up, why not give your relationship another try?”

“Because I just don’t want him, Rarity,” Sunset flatly and firmly stated. “I agree that the girl who ends up arm in arm with Flash Sentry will be extremely lucky, but I have no desire to be that girl.”

With that, Rarity crossed her arms and pouted.

“Look, are you guys okay with me breaking up with Timber or not?” Twilight redirected the conversation back to its original topic.

“Sugarcube, if you don’t think Timber is the guy for you, it’s okay for you to get out of it,” said Applejack. “Just be honest with yourself and with him, and the whole thing will turn out fine.”

“For once, Applejack and I agree on something,” Rarity added.

“Oh, just be careful to let him down gently,” Fluttershy interjected. “If you’re too harsh with him, you could break his heart so bad that he might never love again.”

“Fluttershy, I think you need to lay off the GoldStamp movies,” Rainbow Dash scoffed before turning back to Twilight. “But yeah, Twi, I don’t see any reason why you need to force yourself to stay with Timber.”

“Ooh, maybe you can soften the blow by giving him a cake, which I can totally help you with,” Pinkie offered.

“Whoa!” Twilight exclaimed. “I don’t think I’m going to need a cake, Pinkie. Your support is already more than enough. Now, I just have to tell Timber to meet up with me.”

“Wait, you’re actually going to break up with him to his face?” Dash asked, frowning in confusion. “Can’t you just shoot him a text and ghost him? That way, the whole thing will be over and done with quick and easy.”

Rarity gasped dramatically. “Rainbow Dash! Breaking up through text message is the worst, most insensitive way to possibly break up with someone. A proper breakup requires a genuine, heartfelt, impassioned speech about how the fire of your love has gone cold and that alas, the two of you must regretfully part.”

“Word of advice, Twi,” Applejack whispered to Twilight, “don’t go to either of them for love advice.”


After finishing their food, the Rainbooms decided to use the rest of their lunch period for band practice and made their way to the music room. However, just as they were about to walk in through the double doors, they heard voices coming from the other side.

Rainbow Dash put a finger up to her lips, signaling the rest of the girls to be quiet, while she pushed the door open a crack. Inside, were Flash, Micro, and Derpy.

“That last one sounded great, Flash,” said Micro. “I think you’re ready.”

“Thanks, man,” Flash replied, “but I’m still pretty nervous. Maybe I should go over it one more time. By the way, should my confession come with a gift or something?”

“A gift?”

“You know, like a stuffed animal or flowers or a piece of jewelry.”

“How sure are you that she’s going to accept your feelings?” Derpy asked.

Flash rubbed the back of his neck nervously. “Well, considering that she’s already with someone else and that she seems happy with him,” he sighed, “that outcome seems unlikely.”

“Then, you’re probably better off not giving her a gift. If she accepts it, she’s going to feel pressured into accepting your feelings.”

“Besides,” Micro Chips added with a scoff, “this isn’t a movie, dude. Let’s just go over what you want to say one more time and then head out.”

“Okay then,” Flash agreed.

With that, Flash turned to Derpy as she held a picture of Twilight Sparkle in front of her face. The Rainbooms were still by the door, watching and listening. Rarity was the first to figure out what exactly was going on and clamped her hands over her mouth, resisting the urge to gasp dramatically.

Flash took a breath, looked at the picture, and said, “Hey, Twilight. Uh, I have something to tell you, and the truth is that I really, really like you.”

The jaws of all the Rainbooms simultaneously dropped at Flash’s last sentence, but they continued to listen in.

“I think that you are an amazing and all-around wonderful person. You’re smart, responsible, helpful, and a great friend. I know that you’re already with someone else, and I’m probably nothing compared to him, but I just really needed to let you know how I feel about you. It’s okay if you reject me. I’ll be fine if we can’t be anything more than just friends. I mean, I might hurt for a little bit, but I’ll get over it. Well, what to do you think?”

Derpy put away Twilight’s picture and broke character. “I think if Twilight’s current relationship ever ends, you’ll definitely be her first choice for a new boyfriend.”

“You really think so?” Flash asked with a hopeful smile.

“Dude,” Micro Chips exclaimed, clapping his hand on Flash’s shoulder, “I know you don’t always have the easiest time believing this, but you’re a good person, and you’re worth caring about. If Twilight can’t see that, then don’t waste your time with her.”

Flash’s smile widened at Micro’s words. “Well, whatever happens next, at least I can still count on you guys to have my back.”

“You know what?” Derpy cheered as she threw one arm each around the two boys and pulled them into a hug. “Bring it in, bring it in. Come on, you guys, group hug.”

Flash and Micro flinched awkwardly at first but then shrugged their shoulders and returned the hug.


Outside the music room, the Rainbooms continued to watch the three, still frozen in shock. A few seconds later, the bell rang, and the girls quickly scattered to their classes, praying that Flash and his friends hadn’t caught them listening in.

Author's Note:

By the way, GoldStamp is EG-verse Hallmark. For those who don't know what Hallmark is, it's a greeting card company that also has a TV channel specializing in cheesy romance movies.