• Published 23rd Oct 2019
  • 1,681 Views, 2 Comments

Of date and worries - King Ice



Twilight's getting ready for her date with Rainbow Dash; however, her friends came in.

  • ...
1
 2
 1,681

Of date and worries

Twilight Sparkle hummed happily as she sorted the books of her library. With the size of her castle, she had plenty of rooms for books; however, no matter how many they were, she loved doing it. Now more than the previous times, since it was going to be a great day. Today night, she’d have her first date with her marefriend: Rainbow Dash. Usually, she would have been stressed out and scared. She would have started making plans and lists with a long schedule of their date. However, this is how she would have behaved if she was the old Twilight Sparkle. Before she came in Ponyville and became a princess, she was always socially awkward, but she got used to talking to other ponies and to her friends. She also realized she had nothing to worry about, she knew Rainbow Dash and what she liked. Planning a date they both would enjoy wouldn’t be hard. If anything, she was excited!

She has never dated anyone before, and didn’t even think of doing so. Rainbow was the very first pony towards whom she felt like this. At first, she didn’t understand her feelings for the blue pegasus. She felt warm inside, and blushed every time Rainbow came close to her; for some reasons even stuttered when their bodies were in contact. Useless to say Twilight was embarrassed, but after many discussions with the rest of her friends, she knew what had come to her: a crush.

She became very… nervous when she learned about it. Having a crush on one of your best friends was quite hard to deal with. Moreover, she didn’t know anything about love. In the end, she did reveal her feelings to Rainbow, and at first, the pegasus didn’t know how to react. She didn’t think of Twilight like this, but the more she thought about their relationship, the more she realized she felt the same. They’ve been together for two weeks and they still didn’t go on a real date yet.

Surprisingly, it was Twilight that took the initiative and asked her out.

Twilight put the last book on the shelf, and continued happily humming. She trotted to the throne room to make sure the cutie map wasn’t calling anyone today.

“You look overjoyed, Twilight! Did something happen?” Her number one assistant, Spike, asked as he saw the purple alicorn trot past him.

“I’m glad you ask! I have a date with Rainbow today! I’m so excited!” She answered, turning back to the small dragon.

“Oh, I forgot it was today! I’m sure it’s gonna rock!”

“I was planning to see the others at Sugarcube Corner; do you want to come?” Twilight asked, smiling at her assistant.

Spike’s eyes lighted up at the mention of the rest of their friends, his thoughts going to his own crush. Could he really refuse a chance to see her?

“Yes! I’m coming right away!” He accepted quickly

They both took off of the castle and flew towards Sugarcube Corner. They landed in front of it only a minute after they left the castle of Friendship. The best thing about flying was that it was way faster than walking. Even if she had some hardships, Twilight eventually ended up learning how to fly properly.

When they came in, they saw that all of the remaining elements bearers were already sitting at a table, with milkshakes on it. It looked like they bought two more early for Twilight and Spike.

“Hey, girls! I’m happy to see you!” Twilight exclaimed as they came into a group hug. Twilight couldn’t spend time with them as much as before because of her duties and work, so seeing them was always great.

“We’re happy, too! I hope you don’t overwork yourself, Twilight. You already do so much as a princess and as a teacher.” Fluttershy’s quiet voice spoke up.

“Don’t worry, I’m fine. Better than fine actually!” Twilight replied while smiling.

“And how are you doing, Spikey Wikey?” Rarity asked the young dragon, who only blushed in response.

Suddenly, Twilight noticed something missing. She looked around and quickly realized that one of her friends didn’t come, in fact, Rainbow Dash was the one absent.

“Where is, Rainbow?”

“She couldn’t come, something happened with the weather team and she just had to help them.” Fluttershy answered

Twilight sighed, she was impatient to see her marefriend, and the simple fact that she wasn’t here was enough to sadden her a bit. Every time she spent with her was great, the rest of it, not so much.

“I guess I’ll see her tonight…” She muttered loud enough for others to hear.

“Tonight? Oh! Are you two going on a date?!” Pinkie yelled in excitation as Twilight nodded, her mood getting a bit better.

“That’s great! It’s gonna be your first real date, isn’t it?” Applejack asked

“Yes, I was thinking we could have a picnic in the evening, then fly together!” Twilight answered happily.

However, before anyone could continue this discussion, they heard a loud gasp travel through the building. They turned around to look at the origin of the sound and saw Rarity, with her mouth wide open.

“You can’t be serious, Twilight darling!”

“W-What do you mean?” The princess asked, looking around, unsure of what she did or say to provoke such a reaction.

“This is not how a date should be! You need to make it fancy! Take her to a restaurant, and wear a magnificent dress! First dates should always be special! And the following dates, too!” Rarity explained while shaking Twilight up.

Twilight shook her head and frowned, then pushed Rarity’s hooves away.

“Rarity, I know Rainbow, she doesn’t need fancy restaurants and beautiful dresses. And I don’t, too! I’ll make it simple, and I’m sure we’ll both enjoy it.”

“This is ridiculous!”

“Now, Rarity. Twilight’s right. They’ve known each other for years, they don’t need to complicate things for something as simple as a date,” Applejack replied, trying to help Twilight get out of this. When it was about love, Rarity wasn’t really the best choice for advice.

“What would you know? It’s not just a date! It’s a special moment where two ponies can enjoy each other’s company and forget about the outside world. It mustn't go bad because it could ruin an entire relationship!”

“Nah, that’s stupid! Why would Twilight and Rainbow’s relationship be ruined because of a bad date?” Pinkie asked before laughing.

“I agree with her. It doesn’t make any sense, you’re just being overdramatic, like always,” Applejack added in a deadpan tone.

Rarity gritted her teeth and face hoofed at her friends’ “ignorance”.

“Listen, you have to believe me when I say this: Twilight must make something big to impress Rainbow Dash. That’s important for their relationship.”

“And I still think you’re over exaggerating, again.” Applejack replied

“Oh, please, what do you know about love? You’re just a brute!” Rarity retorted in anger

Applejack frowned before starting to walk to Rarity. Ready to make her eat her words, seeing this, Twilight stepped in.

“Stop! You’re being ridiculous! Don’t get mad at each other for something like this! I tell you, the date I have in mind will be enjoyable enough for Rainbow.” Twilight said, calming them both.

Rarity sighed and adjusted her mane, then turned to Twilight.

“Darling, take my word for it; it won’t be enough,”

Applejack opened her mouth to retort again; however, a small and quiet voice spoke up, interrupting her.

“I kinda am on Rarity’s side…” Fluttershy said

Useless to say that everybody in the room turned their heads, in shock and surprise, to Fluttershy.

“Thank you, Fluttershy!” Rarity thanked her, happy that someone agreed with her.

“What? Really, Fluttershy?” Applejack asked sceptically.

“Have you dated before, too?” Twilight added

“N-Not really… But I know somepony who did…” Fluttershy started as she crossed her front legs, “ They liked each other a lot, and were good friends even before dating… They had a few dates, but they did breakup after one of them that went bad… really, really bad,” Fluttershy explained shyly

“Bad? How bad?” Twilight asked before any of her friends could open their mouths; she was starting to feel nervous for some reason.

“Well… let’s just say I didn’t know two ponies could hate each other so much just because of one bad night,” Fluttershy answered while her friends widened their eyes.

“What did I say? A date is important, even more so if it’s the first one, darling,” Rarity added to Twilight while the princess took a step back.

Applejack rubbed her chin, lost in thoughts. Now that Fluttershy was agreeing with Rarity, she had doubts concerning what she was thinking earlier. Maybe the white unicorn was right in some ways.

“You may be right, just a tiny bit,” Applejack started in an hesitant voice, “Their first date shouldn’t be a mess, but I still don’t think a fancy restaurant is what they need,”

Twilight sighed in relief as she thought what she had planned may not be a bad idea after all. However, the farm pony spoke again.

“The picnic’s a good idea, but the flying together part… not so much,”

“Huh? What do you mean?” Twilight worried, she was sure Rainbow would love to fly with her under the night sky.

“Well, you two often do that anyway, so doing it for a date won’t be special enough. I think you need a change! And I have a great idea!” Applejack explained while Rarity shook her head, still thinking the picnic wasn’t the best choice, “You two could do some personal contests! There’s nothing more exciting than the heat of challenge! Especially if it’s with a loved one.”

Twilight frowned at her suggestion. Challenges what she had in mind when she thought of a date. Then again, Rainbow was very competitive, so she could enjoy some races…

“No, no, no! Darling, you are a lady! And thus, should go at the most expensive and highest rated restaurant in Canterlot! You have to show Rainbow Dash that you will treat her like a queen, and cherish her! This is common sense,” Rarity interrupted the earth pony with a frown, “What Applejack is suggestion is simply… something only ruffians would do!” She argued while Applejack grunted in annoyance.

“You got it all wrong, guys!” Pinkie Pie shouted, gaining the attention of everyone, “If Twilight wants their date to be perfect, then she shouldn’t be alone with Rainbow! They can both go at a party and enjoy themselves with other ponies! Play some games! Eat cake!”

“A party? That’s even worse than a picnic!” Rarity replied dramatically while Spike continuously nodded beside her.

“It pains me to say it, but I agree with her on this one,” Applejack added

“Twilight, if I may suggest…” Fluttershy started while Rarity and Applejack argued with each other, “I think it would be great if you went on a walk in a meadow, then play with animals; They are great company and could melt the heart of anypony,” she said with a small smile.

“A party with animals? But they don’t know how to organise them! Besides, a creepy forest isn’t fun; there’s nothing but old trees!” Pinkie argued while rubbing her chin.

“They could go into a forest… but they must have two or three races, then picnic under an apple tree,” Applejack added

However, just as expected, Rarity joined in as they all started arguing. Twilight looked at each one of her friends, her expression turning from calm and relaxed to one of worry and fear. She didn’t think a simple date could put so much pressure on somepony! Moreover, the loud arguing of her friends only served to stress her out more, until she snapped.

“Girls… STOP!” She screamed atop of her lungs. That shout was enough to stop all of them in the middle of their arguing, they turned their heads to her and remained silent, “Why didn’t you tell me sooner? When Rainbow and I started dating!? I don’t even know what do now! I knew I should have read a book on that, but no, I had to play it cool because it was no big deal instead! I-I must change my plans…”

“That’s right, darling. A fancy place is what you need to solve your issue!”

“I told you: it’s stupid! Trust me, sugarcube, you have to win her over the hard way!”

“Nopey Dopey! A party! A party, and we’ll be your guests!”

“I don’t mean to offend you Pinkie, but I think they should be together without anypony else…”

And there they started again as Twilight sighed and put a hoof on her face while Spike patted her back to try to comfort her, which didn’t work.

Of course, Twilight had rethink her entire schedule for the night; she was so stressed she pushed all her paperwork aside. However, not only did she have to think of something else, her friends kept bugging her with their own ideas of a perfect date. She loved them all, but they weren’t helping at the moment, and all she wished was to be left alone, so she could think of something that would please Rainbow.

And after several hours of debates and yelling in the castle, Twilight finally had enough as she tore apart the list on her desk. She sighed, then turned back to her friends, ready to tell them to go home, but felt herself stopping; she didn’t want to have to scream again to be heard. Maybe she could always go for advice to someone else? Princess Celestia? No, it would be too embarrassing, besides she didn’t even know if the princess already dated someone before. Maybe Shining could help… no, he was as clueless as she was! Cadence! Of course, why didn’t she think of her from the start? She was the princess of Love for Celestia’s sake!

Twilight looked at her friends, and deadpanned. She wanted to tell them she was going, but stopped herself from doing so as it didn’t seem they would stop arguing anytime soon. When it was about her happiness, they were always giving their maximum, and sometimes it went wrong, just like now. Without saying anything, she lifted her horn, and disappeared in a purple flash.

The mane four turned around just in time to see their friend disappear in thin air! They exchanged glances until Fluttershy spoke in a quiet voice.

“W-Where did she go?”

Pinkie Pie shrugged in response while Applejack face hoofed, “We screwed up, didn’t we?”

“She looked quite upset, darling…”

“I noticed…”

Meanwhile, Cadence, princess of Love was drinking her tea in peace. She didn’t have as much work as Celestia and Luna, so most of her days were relaxing. However, she should have known it wouldn’t last forever. She realized it when a purple alicorn appeared out of nowhere and fell on her, making her drop the cup of tea on the ground.

“Ow… I-I’m so sorry Cadence! I didn’t mean to teleport on you!” Twilight apologised as she took a step back, then helped the second princess stand up.

Cadence grabbed the lavender alicorn’s hoof and stood up as she rubbed her head, “No need to be sorry, Twilight. You didn’t mean it…” She stared at Twilight’s face as it changed from worry to relief, then back to nervousness? The young alicorn looked like she was in need of help, “I’m sure you came here so suddenly and without notice for a reason. Is there a problem, Twilight?”

“Yes… I… I am pretty sure you are the best pony I could ask for right now,” Twilight answered while rubbing the back of her head, “I’ll have my first date with Rainbow Dash, tonight.”

“That’s great, Twilight!” Cadence interrupted her, “I’m really happy you found love in your life, if only I could revive the day when you told us about your relationship with that pegasus…” She added, almost dreamily.

“Thing is… I’m scared of how it might go. At first, I didn’t care that much because I was sure Rainbow would be happy with anything I’d do; I know nearly everything about her, including her tastes. I was confident I’d make something she’d love, but now… I’m scared I’ll mess it up…” She said while looking down

“Twilight... If Rainbow and you know and love each other so much, then there is no reason for it to go wrong,” Cadence replied as she put a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder, “You said you didn’t worry at first, what changed?”

“I spoke with the girls, and they basically said a date mustn’t be a failure, it could ruin my relationship, then they went on about what the best date would be according to them; they were all so different, and then… then… I don’t know anymore! I guess I just don’t want Rainbow to be disappointed in me,”

Cadence looked at the younger princess, then smiled softly, “Tell me, Twilight, how many ponies did your friends date?”

“Hum… as far as i’m concerned, zero. except for Rarity who dated one stallion, but it was for only a month…” She answered while thinking

“Then you have as much experience as they do,” Cadence added as Twilight blinked a few times, realizing it was true, “listen, your friends gave date ideas? Were they matching their tastes? Their hobbies?” Twilight nodded in response, “That’s because that’s the date they would have wanted to live, based on what they like. That means, there’s chances Rainbow wouldn’t want to live it the same way, since I’m pretty sure she doesn’t have a special likeness to animals or parties,” Cadence chuckled softly, “Your friends don’t know what she’d want, but you do. You said you know her, you’re her marefriend and that’s normal in a relationship; it’s good if you are already aware of what she likes. That also means there’s nopony better than you to choose something she’ll love. The date you were planning at first… I can certainly say it was done while taking in account her personality,” Twilight nodded again, “Then you got it, Rainbow will love what you will do, I’m sure of it.”

Twilight remained silent for several seconds, thinking of her foalsitter’s words. Now that she thought about it, she was right! She knew Rainbow better than anyone! Of course she’ll know what kind of date she’ll like more: Besides, just because one thing goes wrong doesn’t mean their relationship would be ruined! Rainbow wasn’t like that; she was the element of loyalty after all!

Twilight smiled, then pulled Cadence into a hug.

“Thanks, Cadence. I needed that. See you another time! I have a mare to take on a date!” Twilight said with determination before disappearing into a flash of light.

***

Rainbow Dash hummed as she hovered to Twilight’s castle. Usually, she’d fly fast, but not tonight. She wished to slow down for once and enjoy her time with the one she loved. She knew it was mushy, but there wasn’t anyone who could look into her mind, so these thoughts were safe.

She landed in front of the castle’s front door and tapped the door three times with her hoof. It took only a few seconds for the door to be opened as Twilight came out, and smiled. Now, Rainbow wasn’t wearing anything special for the occasion, and previously feared that Twilight would wear a dress or something. Fortunately, and surprisingly, this was not the case. The princess was wearing as much clothe as she did.

“I’m happy to see you, Rainbow,” Twilight grinned, “This night will be the best night you’ve ever had,”

“What did you plan?”

“Now, that would ruin the fun, wouldn’t it? Just follow me.”

Twilight took off, as did Rainbow a second later. Rainbow followed her marefriend in silence until she landed in the middle of meadow. Before the rainbow-maned mare could ask anything, she widened her eyes when she saw what was standing in front of her. It was a big log with two stumps facing each other on each side of the log, while there was two candles and plates, on which were baked cakes, and salads.

“Twi, what’s this?” Rainbow pointed at the small setup

“I wanted to make something special with the little time I had, but there is it: Twilight’s Shack. A new fancy restaurant that opened only for tonight,” She explained as she motioned for Rainbow to sit down on one of the stumps while she sat on the other one, “Enjoy your meal for it was cooked by our most talented chef: Twilight Sparkle.”

Rainbow Dash giggled before tasting a piece of the cake, and sure enough, it was pretty good. Twilight improved a lot since the last time she cooked something. During their little meal, they talked about the usual; how their day was (though Twilight omitted a lot of things), about Daring Do and so on.

They didn’t need to flirt every time, even if they did so from now and then; they were already seducing each other, without even knowing it, as they talked naturally.

When they finished their “dinner”, the pegasus almost thought it was over and they’d go back home; however, Twilight smiled at her, then pulled her into an embrace, which Rainbow returned.

“There’s something I want to show you,” Twilight pointed at the sky, her marefriend lifted her head and frowned as she only saw clouds; she was sure the weather team was supposed to get rid of them earlier today! “Let’s fly above them, Rainbow. I’m sure you’ll love it,”

Rainbow couldn’t even muster a reply as Twilight flew off to the sky, she grinned then followed her. Twilight disappeared into the clouds as Rainbow narrowed her eyes, trying to see clearly. It took her a few seconds, but she eventually came above them, and widened her eyes when they landed on the starry sky.

She’ve never seen it like that! It was full of stars, but not only that, she could also see multiple transparent colors, slowly moving like a silk cloth.

“What’s that?” She asked, dumbfounded

“It’s hard to explain, but it’s a phenomenon that happens every ten years, the sky and our magic connecting, they create this. I thought it’d be perfect to show you… We could gaze at it a bit,”

Rainbow remained silent, then woke up from her trance. She glanced at Twilight, and smiled warmly. She was going to lay on comfortable clouds besides her marefriend to watch the sky? How could she say no to that? She warped one of her wings around her marefriend.

“Why not do it longer that that?”

Twilight’s lips slightly moved upwards as she looked into Rainbow’s eyes.

“I’d love to.”

Author's Note:

Well, that's all folks! I hope you liked it!

Comments ( 2 )

Thank you for writing this! twidash is always wonderful :twilightsmile::rainbowwild:

9906533
Twidash forever!!

We definitely need more Twidash stories

Login or register to comment