• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 1,257 Views, 44 Comments

Legacy Of A Hero - CrypticMetaphor



Mary, the daughter of Martin sets out on a quest with her friends to save Equestria and her parents

  • ...
7
 44
 1,257

Chapter 7: A Fiery Resolve

Mary and the group were sleeping the night away in the surprisingly spacious interior of Trixie’s wheeled home. Mary was currently lying on her side on a spare bed whereas the rest of her friends were sleeping on the floor and Trixie in her own bed. Mary in her own right was healing quite well from the attack but still needed rest. Her dreams were troubling to say the least, they always seemed to go back to that night at the farm when she snapped at her father and left in a huff. She sat upon a tree stump in her dreamscape and glanced to the horizon but jumped at a familiar presence.

“Thou had better have a good explanation for your absence in Ponyville.”

Mary whipped around so fast that she dropped off the stump and in reality slammed onto the floor of the now active trailer.

Dominic snapped fully awake from his previous state in concern, “You okay?”

Mary then ominously stated, “We have a big problem.”

The trailer then came to an abrupt stop.

*

Martin was awoken from his slumber by The Black King’s growl of anger, “Blast it all.”

Martin looked at the dark tyrant with a smug expression, “Having trouble?”

The Black King turned his angered glare upon the human and bellowed, “Silence!”

The cage then lit up like the fourth of July as its occupants were brutally zapped.

*

Dominic peeked out the window to see what stopped the cart and his eyes widened, “Oh boy…”

The COH looked with him and saw a not so very impressed Princess Luna tapping her hoof outside.

Luna narrowed her eyes, “Outside, now.”

The COH begrudgingly disembarked their transport as Luna paced in front of them, “Have you any idea of how serious the situation we are all in?”

Mary nodded, “Yeah, the elements of harmony and our parents are gone.”

Luna stopped in front of them, “Exactly, this is a delicate situation as it is. How do you think it would look if Equestrian citizens along with two outsiders were to just waltz into The Black Kings throne room unannounced?”

Applebloom looked down, “none to good ah assume?”

Dominic stepped toward the princess, “Whatever it looks like is irrelevant, that freak has our parents and the elements of harmony and I for one am tired of the political approach.”

Luna stepped forward as well, “Stand down Mr. Washington; you do not know who you trifle with.”

Even though the tone was commanding and her authority was well above his, Dominic did something no person or pony had ever done before, “Get the hell out of my way Princess.”

Luna was taken aback by the sudden remark, “You…”

Mary quickly came to Dominic’s side and quickly stated, “Uh Dom, please do not upset the Princess of the night. Need I remind you she’s the sister to one of the most powerful ponies in the land?”

Dominic looked right into Luna’s eyes who was visibly getting angry at the disrespect, “What’s the matter, you gonna go get big sis to fight THIS battle for you too?”

*

All the ponies and humans in the cage collectively gasped in horror at the remark. The Black king laughed like a maniac.

Rainbow Dash looked at Alan, “When we get back, he’s grounded for life.”

Alan shook his head, “More like eternity.”

*

Luna got into the humans face, “How dare you insult me!”

Dominic’s face took on a cocky expression, “You gonna do something about it Lulu?”

Luna growled in rage as her horn began to glow threateningly only for Mary to step in between them and in and angrily declare, “SHUT IT BOTH OF YOU!!”

Both parties were stunned by the sudden outburst as Mary turned to Luna, “I know what we’re doing isn’t right. And I know that with our parents captured, you and your sister are pressed into a corner. But please, if we do not do something quick there’s no telling what could happen.”

Luna was reluctant to answer because of the previous comments but sighed, “There seems to be no stopping you all is there?”

Dinky shook her head, “Nope.”

Luna looked at the moon and sighed, “Very well, you have my blessing. But be warned, the road you travel is paved with many perils and trials. So I ask you, are you willing to see this through to the end?”

They all nodded in unison as Luna smiled at their collective tenacity, “Alright then, be swift and safe.”

Dominic waved as Luna departed, “And may the force be with you.”

Luna smirked, “Always.”

The princess teleported away instantly as Mary glanced at Dom, “How did she?”

Dominic walked back to the trailer, “Dad took her to see the re-showing of the Star Wars movies in theatres years ago.”

Mary then asked as they all sat up front, "So what now?"

Dominic stood up, “We follow this road.”

Applebloom looked ahead, “But what’s up ahead.”

Dominic smiled, “Don’t know, but we’ll be ready to meet it when it comes.”

Scootaloo nodded, “I’m with ya.”

Sweetie, Dinky, and Mary all did the same.

He then raised his fist to the sky, “SWEET, LETS GO!!”

The COH followed his example, “YEAH!!!”

Montage time!!!

The cart stopped in small valley after exiting the canyon area and everypony all glanced around in wonderment and awe at the massive flowers that were present. Dominic raised an eyebrow as he poked one and then screamed as it pulled itself out of the ground and ran after him, Trixie, and the COH.

*

The next day they found and odd rock formation in the shape of a pony and climbed atop it and gazed out and saw the vast expanse of grassland that Dominic mentioned and they all ooed and awed. Trixie made a picnic atop the formation and they all ate happily.

*

The day after that was the cart running from a massive swarm of inanimate object eating parasprites. Trixie, Dinky, Sweetie Belle, and Dominic all kept them at bay well into the night hours until they all dispersed.

*

They soon exited the grasslands and came into a large mountainous region that consisted of frosty peaks and nasty looking slopes. They traversed bravely through the gale of ice and snow much to their collective annoyance. The reason was that the enchanted wheels that pulled the home sized cart fizzled out halfway down and they had to pull it the rest of the way down. They all then proceeded to scream in excitement and fear as gravity carried them the rest of the way down the steep hill they were all on.

Montage over.

They all awoke in a large snow bank face down. Mary looked up and glanced around at her surroundings. She saw far off there was a train track stretching far off into the tundra. She ran to it as the rest of her friends stirred behind her. She heard Dominic call her name but paid no attention to it as she stopped at the track.

Mary turned back noticing that the cart was coming toward her at full speed as her friends were frantically trying to say something.

Mary yelled over the wind, “WHAT!?”

Trixie amplified her voice, “BEHIND YOU!!!”

Mary whipped around and noticed four humanoid creatures that were seven feet tall rushing her. The creature’s hides were black and metallic looking and seemed to have a pulsating purple sphere in each of their chests behind a layer of something resembling a glassy membrane. Two of the creatures seized Mary as she cried out in surprise and fear.
Dominic leapt from his seat and conjured a katana that was made out of electricity just like his father could; the only difference was that Dom’s was more solid looking.

He slashed one of the golems arms clean off, “HA!”

The golem regrew it instantly and smacked Dom into the remaining COH. The two Golems that were not holding Mary bore down upon the group of friends who then sprang into action.

*

The Black King watched with mirth at the scene, “It seems my Golems are too strong for them. To be vanquished in a frozen wasteland, how ironic.”

Twilight narrowed her eyes at the King after the comment was spoken.\

*

Mary was helpless in the creature’s arms. Something was preventing her from using her strength and she didn’t know what it was. She thrashed as best as she could and yelled in anger at the other Golems who were preoccupied with her friends.

Mary then kicked around, “Let me go you freaks!!!”

The Golems attacking her friends began to close in upon them.

Mary then began to feel a strange surge travel through her body as her strength returned to her in full force. If she didn’t know any better, she could have sworn that she felt stronger than usual.

With each word spoken something strange happened, “I said…”

The air around Mary became hazy.

“Let.”

Steam began to rise from the snow beneath her.

“Me.”

Small flickers of something could be seen in her hair.

“GO!!”

With that one final yell of anger and defiance, Mary was engulfed in an aura of blue and white flames. The arms of the Golems that were holding her melted like cheap wax as she dropped to her knees in the snow as steam cascaded into the sky with each step she took. The Golems behind her went to intercept her, only to be melted by a glance from the girl as they were engulfed in fire.

She approached the remaining Golems and said, “Piss off.”

She then melted her fists through the creatures and ripped out their cores. The cores began to disintegrate as the Golems fell to pieces and melted into black goop. Mary glanced at the remaining core in surprise as she saw that it was a purple crystal.

Dominic stared with an amazed smile, “Nice Mary! Your thing is fire!”

Mary looked at her hands and jumped in surprise as she came down from her adrenaline rush, “It is?”

Trixie stared at her, “Impressive.”

Applebloom went to hug her but stopped dead, “Ahm glad you got yer ability, now how the hay do ya turn it off so we can hug ya?”

Mary then began panicking, “I don’t know! Oh god what if I can’t?!”

Trixie shushed her, “Take a deep breath and relax, reach inward and find the source of the flame and extinguish it.”

Mary did as instructed and the flames extinguished, “How did?”

Trixie smiled, “Fire spells use the same principle.”

Dominic wasn’t listening because he was pointing to the north. All of them looked and gasped, The Crystal Empire was only a mile off.

Dominic looked at the rest of the COH, “So…who wants to-“

Everypony was already in the cart.