• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 1,257 Views, 44 Comments

Legacy Of A Hero - CrypticMetaphor



Mary, the daughter of Martin sets out on a quest with her friends to save Equestria and her parents

  • ...
7
 44
 1,257

Chapter 10: Icarus

Mary sat at Dom’s bedside. What she was feeling at current was just horrible, not only had she endangered her friends and the present royalty but she had brutally burned her closet friend. She had been silent since she had helped carry Dom into the medical wing of the castle. Sure his wounds would heal and his tissue would mend, but the scars it would leave upon them both would be all too deep. The only other time she had felt this low was when she snapped at her father all those nights ago. She silently stood and left the room as quiet as the breeze’s that blew in through the window and walked into the ruined throne room. She gazed at the scorch marks and gingerly ran her fingers along a nearby tapestry; the blackened parts of the fabric were rough and coarse when it glided along her fingers.

She glanced toward the throne and sighed. A ghostly image of her in elementary school days flashed before her. She would always sit on the throne and act like the queen, she even remembered once she ordered Shining Armor to kneel before her in a Zod like fashion. She snapped out of her daze at the feeling of a familiar presence.

Cadance smiled calmly at the troubled girl, “It wasn’t your fault.”

Mary walked to the balcony and looked down onto the darkened streets, “It’s not that. I’m thinking of what I have done to Dom and worst of all what I could have done to the rest of you.”

Cadance sighed as she placed a calming hoof upon the humans shoulder, “Your actions were not your own, The Black King manipulated you into doing those things. You are your father’s daughter and a child of an Element of Harmony.”

Mary gritted her teeth as she turned around and brandished a flaming fist, “YEAH, A CHILD WHO CAN BURN THINGS TO DEATH!”

Mary turned away and hugged her sides, “I don’t even know who I am anymore.”

Cadance went to say something but addressed the very unusual comment, “What do you mean?”

Mary looked to the side, “I’m not normal, I come from two different worlds and I don’t belong in either-“, she looked at the Crystal Princess, “I didn’t expect you to understand.”

Cadance looked at the human, “That’s not true.”

Mary raised an eyebrow as Cadance walked to her side, “I never knew my parents, when I was a baby Pegasus I was an orphan lost in the woods. I was found by some Earth ponies that took me to their village and raised me.”

Mary’s eyes widened in surprise as Cadance continued her tale, “When I grew up I reversed a love-stealing spell cast by a pony called Prismia. You see, Prismia wore a magic-enhancing necklace that amplified her evil and jealousy. But I faced her alone and the necklace amplified my love.”

She smiled at the happy memory, “Once Prismia changed her horrible ways, I suddenly found myself in a strange realm with Princess Celestia. Seeing what I had accomplished and the kind of mare I had grown into, she adopted me as her niece and made me into what you see before you today.”

Mary spoke in a hushed tone, “Is that true?”

Cadance nodded, “Yes, at first I felt like you. Hung between two worlds and unsure of who I was, but you know what I did?”

Mary shook her head, “What?”

Cadance smiled, “I didn’t let those feelings control me, and I knew who I was and what I had to do. I am Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, ruler of The Crystal Empire and emissary of love.”

Mary looked at Cadance, “But what am I supposed to do?”

Cadance escorted her away from the balcony, “You’ll know. It’s just like getting a cutie mark, some figure it out right away but to others it takes time and patience.”

Mary hugged Cadance with a thankful smile which the Princess returned with gusto, “Thank you.”

Cadance smiled and patted Mary’s back, “So what are you going to do now?”

Mary took on an expression filled with tenacity and justice, “I’m continuing the mission. It’s what Dom would want.”
Cadance nodded with respect, “Do what you have to do.”

Mary turned on her heel and rushed to retrieve her friends.

*

The Black King blasted the ground near the cage in anger, “Why does she persist!”

Martin sneered at the unholy monarch, “Because she knows what has to be done, and I’m proud of her for it.”

The Black King snarled his words at the human, “Oh spare me your feeble emotions of sentimentality for they sicken me!”


*

The carriage left the empire at full speed with all but one of the COH in tow. Mary sat up front with Trixie as both of them focused on the horizon. Trixie looked at Mary who was humming a tune to herself.

Trixie curiously asked, “What are you singing?”

Mary snapped to reality, “It was a lullaby my mother and father sang to me when I was a baby. It was from a movie he saw when he was much younger about a princess and a goblin.”

Trixie smiled, “Sounds interesting, would you mind if I heard the song?”

Mary nodded, “Sure, my father always told me that if I was ever scared or alone to sing the song. It was their gift to me out of love.”

Mary cleared her throat as the wind whistled through her air and seemed to carry her words with it, “There's a spark inside us.

That we can all ignite and all that's dark inside us will flicker into light.”

Trixie began to bob her head as Mary continued,

“There's a power in every breath, there's a power in every note.

A power that starts within the heart, a power that rises through the throat.”

Mary silenced herself when she noticed much more time had passed then she thought as the wagon crested a mountain giving all present a view of what was below. A massive valley of rock formations and red sand lay before them. Steep dunes and random boulders and metal spires littered the rest of the valley, far off was a visible outline of what could only be The Black Kings castle.

Mary narrowed her eyes, “we’re here, The Wastes.”