• Published 10th Aug 2012
  • 1,994 Views, 13 Comments

The Element of Laughter - Inky_Quill



What if Discord took advantage of the fact that Pinkie Pie loves his tricks?

  • ...
1
 13
 1,994

Pinkie's Choice

Pinkie Pie was angry. The other ponies sped through the palace gates, but she turned on a dime and galloped up to Canterlot Tower. If her friends were ever to believe her, she had to convince Celestia first.
She wasn’t used to being angry, and her insecurity made her even angrier. And that scared her. She tried to think of a funny song, but nothing came to mind. She tried to hum her favorite polka, but she was too flustered to remember it. A tear escaped Pinkie Pie’s eye, and it was swept away by the cold air as she ran as fast as she could to Celestia’s special chamber.

When she arrived, she burst through the doors for the third time that day and collapsed, winded after sprinting up countless flights of stairs.

“Celestia!” she gasped, but when she looked up, she realized she was alone in the room. She began to sob, and she buried her face in her foreleg.

“Pinkie Pie,” said Discord gently. Pinkie Pie looked up again and saw him on the other side of the chamber, standing in front of Celestia’s vault. “Why are you crying, Pinkie Pie?” He began to walk toward her, his forelegs outstretched. All weariness fell from her limbs, and Pinkie Pie ran to her friend. She hugged him, and then she sat on the floor, no longer crying.

“I can’t find Celestia,” she said. “That’s why I was crying.” Discord laughed, and immediately, Pinkie Pie’s spirits rose. She laughed too.

“Don’t worry about Celestia; she won’t bother us today,” said Discord.

“But you told my friends where the Elements of Harmony are. What if they try to turn you into a statue again?”

“They can’t use the elements if they’re missing the Element of Laughter, can they? Forget them. Without you, they’re just so boring! Why don’t you and I find something else to play?”

“You’re right, Discord. I don’t know why I was crying when we have so much to do!”

“That’s the spirit, Pinkie Pie!” Discord was delighted. He skipped like a child, ready to lead Pinkie Pie out of the chamber.

Just then, all of the windows shattered, and a rainbow-colored shock wave passed through the chamber over Pinkie Pie’s head. A moment later, Rainbow Dash passed through an empty window frame and landed solidly on the tiled floor, glaring menacingly at Pinkie Pie’s friend.

“Discord!” she said, poised to charge.

“WAIT!” shouted Pinkie Pie. “Rainbow Dash, give him a chance to explain himself. He’s really not that bad.”

“Stand aside, Pinkie! he’s a threat to all of Equestria.”

“No he’s not! Just trust me, Rainbow Dash.” Rainbow could see that Pinkie was being sincere, and she couldn’t bring herself to say no. Besides, the other four mares were on their way, and maybe Rainbow would have a better chance against Discord if she could stall until her friends arrived.

“Alright,” she said. “This better be good.”

Twilight Sparkle rushed past the royal guards and into the palace. What was Pinkie thinking? Did she seriously not understand that Discord was evil? Why didn’t she trust Princess Celestia? Twilight thought back to that morning, trying to find some explanation for Pinkie’s behavior. She was there when Twilight had read Princess Celestia’s letter. All the friends had helped clean up Sweet Apple Acres, and Pinkie’s job was…

Twilight realized she hadn’t given Pinkie a job. She had forgotten all about her. She turned to Applejack, who was galloping beside her.

“Do you think I’ve been ignoring Pinkie Pie?” she said.

“I think we’ve all been ignorin’ her,” said Applejack. “Did you see her on the train? She was right depressin’ compared to her usual self.”

“No, Applejack, I didn’t notice her on the train.” Twilight lowered her eyes dejectedly.

“Now then, dear,” said Rarity, “if you don’t look where you’re going, you’re sure to run into something.”

“She sure loved the garden,” said Fluttershy abruptly. “At first I thought she was just being Pinkie Pie, and then I thought maybe she really liked the plants and animals, so I didn’t tell anypony she’d stayed behind. That and I didn’t want to bother anypony.”

Twilight should have been upset with Fluttershy for not speaking up, but she looked so sorry and so worried about Pinkie that Twilight couldn’t find it in her heart to be stern.

“And did you see the look on her face while we were talking with that scoundrel Discord?” said Rarity. “It was most unbecoming. I didn’t know Pinkie Pie was capable of thinking so hard and looking so confused.”

“I didn’t notice any of these things,” said Twilight. “Am I a horrible friend?”

“Don’ say that,” said Applejack. “If it weren’t for you, we wouldn’t a known about the Elements o’ Harmony in the first place, and we wouldn’t a grown so close or learned so many things about friendship.” The other ponies nodded their agreement, but Twilight didn’t feel better. All she could do was gallop as fast as she could and hope Rainbow Dash could talk some sense into Pinkie Pie.

“Alright, Discord. Explain yourself!” said Rainbow Dash. Discord laughed.

“Oh Rainbow Dash,” he said with a smirk. “How loyal you are to help your friend when you could just as easily help Cloudsdale. That’s where you were born, right? I was there just this morning, and let me tell you, it was dull! Don’t worry, I took care of that. But maybe I should look in on it again. What do you think?” Rainbow gasped, and her breathing quickened.

“Pinkie, how can you possibly trust this guy?” She had a point, but to be fair, everypony in Equestria was mean to Discord, and Pinkie Pie didn’t blame him if he didn’t like her friends. Still, he was out of line to threaten Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie was determined to make peace between them.

“Discord, what did you do in Cloudsdale?” she asked.

“Didn’t she tell you?” he said. “Just some cola rain here and there. Not as tasty as chocolate, I know, but I just had to be creative. Surely you’re not angry with me, Pinkie Pie?”

As a matter of fact, she was mad at him. She was mad at him for being so nasty to her friends, and she was just as mad at her friends for being nasty to him. If only her old friends could get along with her new friend!
Rainbow held her breath, waiting for Pinkie’s judgment. Discord stroked his mane with his talon. Digging up old memories, Rainbow thought back to a similar situation involving herself, Pinkie Pie, and a griffon. She remembered Twilight’s old friendship report word for word:

Dearest Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that it's hard to accept when somepony you like wants to spend time with somepony who's not so nice. Though it's impossible to control who your friends hang out with, it is possible to control your own behavior. Just continue to be a good friend. In the end, the difference between a false friend and one who is true will surely come to light.

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle


This time was different because not only was Discord a bad friend; he was downright dangerous. All the same, Rainbow knew that she couldn’t force Pinkie to realize the truth about him. She could only continue to be a good friend and hope that Pinkie would come to her senses.

Pinkie Pie tried desperately to find a solution to her problem. She remembered her trip to Appleloosa. How did Twilight Sparkle’s friendship report go? Friendship is a wondrous and powerful thing. Even the worst of enemies can become friends. You need understanding and compromise. Right now, Pinkie Pie didn’t think Discord and the others could ever become friends, but she was determined to find understanding and compromise in this mess.

“Discord,” she said. “I love tricks and pranks as much as you, but if nopony else likes them, then you have to stop.” Rainbow nodded. “And you,” said Pinkie Pie, turning her stern face to Rainbow Dash. “How can you be so cruel to this poor creature? As far as I can tell, I’m his only friend. Even if he can be a little mean, don’t you think the best way to deal with him is to show him a little kindness?”

What should I do as a good friend? thought Rainbow. A single tear fell at her hooves, and standing tall and proud, she looked Pinkie in the eye.

“No, Pinkie,” she said. “I don’t think that’s the best way to deal with him. I’m sorry. I know it hurts you to meet someone you can’t be friends with, and it hurts me to say this, even so, I have to tell you that he is not a true friend. And as long as he’s causing trouble in Equestria, I will stand against him.”

“What a shame,” said Discord. Pinkie Pie was too naïve to catch the mockery in his voice. “If she’s so certain that I’m a bad friend, then you should listen to her. Maybe she needs you more than I do, Pinkie Pie. Go on. I’ll just find some other friends. Somewhere.”

Pinkie Pie gaped at Rainbow Dash. She started to say something, but the other ponies burst into the chamber, panting after their race to Canterlot Tower.

“Pinkie!” shouted Twilight, fighting exhaustion, “I’m sorry I ignored you at Sweet Apple Acres. I’m sorry I didn’t notice you were feeling down on the train or that you stayed behind in the garden and that I told Princess Celestia not to listen to you. Most of all, I’m sorry I couldn’t tell how much it hurt you that you had to choose between us and Discord! I’ve been so distracted today that I didn’t even think about how you might be feeling. I’m so sorry!”

Pinkie Pie wasn’t sure what to say to such a heartfelt apology. She was happy that Twilight Sparkle was finally acknowledging her, but she wanted more. She wanted her friends to acknowledge Discord and to make peace with him. Until they were willing to do that, she couldn’t completely forgive them.

“Thanks, Twilight, and I forgive you for ignoring me,” she said. “You had all of Equestria to worry about, and I’m just one pony. But won’t you give Discord a chance? He’s nice and fun, just like me. I’m sure if Celestia—”

“Listen to yourself, Pinkie,” said Twilight. “You’re even starting to talk like Discord. Do you really think you know him better than Princess Celestia does? Trust her like I do, or you’ll find out the hard way that Discord is rotten.”

“There you go ignoring me again!” said Pinkie Pie. “None of you will listen to me, even after you said you were sorry. Real friends don’t brush each other off!”

“No, Pinkie Pie. I’m the only one who’s to blame for ignoring you today. On the train, Applejack noticed you were gloomy, and Fluttershy noticed that you stayed behind in the garden. Rarity could tell that you weren’t sure what to think about Discord when he talked to us earlier. And you should especially thank Rainbow Dash, who noticed you weren’t with us when we reached the maze. She even guessed where you’d gone and why. If they didn’t say anything, it’s because they couldn’t or they trusted you to do the right thing.”

Twilight was right. Rainbow Dash had performed a sonic rainboom so she could talk to Pinkie Pie as soon as possible, Applejack had actually approached her on the train, and of course Rarity couldn’t interrupt Celestia to ask Pinkie Pie what she was thinking about. Only Fluttershy missed her opportunity to help Pinkie Pie, and that was probably because she was too shy to point out her odd behavior. And, of course, Twilight hadn’t noticed anything, but she’d already apologized for that.

“Then why aren’t any of you listening to me now?” said Pinkie Pie.

“Because Discord is evil, and the best thing we can do as your good friends is to stop you from helping him.”

“No,” said Rainbow. “We’ve said all there is to say, Pinkie, and we’ll be disappointed if you still think Discord is your friend. But we can’t force you to see the truth. All we can do is hope you make the right choice in the end.” She calmly walked to the door. “Come on, everypony. As long as we’re in Canterlot, we should look for the Elements of Harmony. If you change your mind, Pinkie, we’ll be in the maze.” Reluctantly, everypony except Discord and Pinkie Pie followed Rainbow out of the chamber, and they slowly made their way back to the palace labyrinth.

Pinkie Pie turned to Discord, surprised that he hadn’t said anything since her friends had arrived.

“You know,” she said, “you really should give back the Elements of Harmony.”

“Why, so your friends can turn me into stone again?” said Discord.

“You know they can’t use the elements unless I help them, so you’ll be ok as long as I’m your friend.”

“Why would they want the elements if they can’t use them?”

“Because, what if we need them for something else? I’m still their friend, you know, even if I won’t help them turn you into a statue.”

Discord hesitated. He hadn’t expected Pinkie Pie’s friends to leave her alone with him. They were supposed to do everything in their power to stop him from spending time with Pinkie Pie, thereby losing her trust. As long as she was still their friend, Discord would be in terrible danger.

“The elements are easy enough to find,” he said. “Don’t worry about your friends. Now, you need to cheer up! You’ve been much too serious today, and now you need to be yourself. Shall we?” he gestured to the door, and the two friends returned to the royal garden, where Pinkie was delighted to find that chocolate bunnies were hopping around, laying Cadbury eggs. Then she noticed that all the palace gardeners were chasing the bunnies, frantically collecting the eggs and begging the creatures to stand still.

“Discord,” she said sternly, “This is the second time you’ve broken your promise. Why haven’t you given up your tricks yet? Don’t you want Celestia to trust you?”

Now Discord was annoyed. Not only was Pinkie Pie still friends with the rest of Celestia’s minions, but she expected him to behave. This wasn’t at all what Discord had planned. He wasn’t satisfied with being freed from his cold prison. He wanted to rule again, and Pinkie Pie was ruining everything! There was no point in tricking Pinkie Pie if Discord wasn’t free to have fun, so he would have tell her plainly that he had no intention of obeying Celestia.

“Come on Pinkie Pie,” he said, “you know how boring Celestia is. If she doesn’t trust us, it’s her business. We don’t have to be boring just because she doesn’t have a sense of humor.” Pinkie Pie stared at her hooves. She began to shake. These tricks weren’t funny anymore, and Discord was turning out to be a little nastier than she had expected. Perhaps her friends were right. Perhaps she couldn’t trust him.

“Maybe not,” she said. “But we do have to obey her because she’s the princess.” Discord was silent. “I suppose that your loyalty was just a mask after all. And that from the beginning you were dishonest with me. Were you really being generous by giving me a giant cake, or were you using me? And I’ve seen how unkind you can be to my friends and Princess Celestia. What about your tricks? Are they really supposed to make us laugh when all they do is cause trouble? Dashie was right; you’re not a true friend. Thanks for the chocolate, but I have to get back to my real friends. And I don’t think I’ll play with you again.” Discord laughed, and rogue lightning flashed behind him.

“Very well,” he said with a grin, “but if you’re going to be on their team, then be warned: if you go into the labyrinth with your friends, you just might come out with no friends at all!” Then, he vanished in a flash of white light.
Pinkie stood quietly for a moment before galloping off toward the palace labyrinth.

When she arrived, she found her friends waiting for her on the path to the maze. They hugged and cried a little, and then the friends hurried to the maze’s entrance. They stood all in a row, and each pony stepped resolutely into the labyrinth, ready for whatever adventures lay ahead.

Comments ( 1 )

You know I find that a bit hilarious. Pinkie saying Discord has to obey Celestia because she is the princess. Discord was the king and Celestia with Luna overthrew him. Any who interesting story.

Login or register to comment