• Published 1st Jan 2020
  • 4,731 Views, 2,770 Comments

Thomas and Friends: The Retold Adventures - The Blue EM2



Picture a Land where the Sky is so Blue, a Storybook Land of Wonder...

  • ...
18
 2,770
 4,731

PreviousChapters Next
Stepney's Special

The next morning came, and in Carousel Boutique (Rarity's home in Knapford), Rarity and Sweetie Belle rose from their beds and went downstairs for breakfast. Rarity put some toast on whilst Sweetie Belle poured some cereal.

"So," Rarity asked her sister, "did you have a good run down from East Grinstead?"

"Yep!" Sweetie Belle replied, picking up a spoon and digging into her cheerios. "Ran smoothly up to Brighton, then to Battersea, transferred over to the West Coast Main Line via the North London Line, up to Barrow in Furness via Carnforth, and finally through Vicarstown to here."

"How did you meet Stepney? He seems to like you," Rarity asked.

"That's quite the story," her sister answered. "We found him on a siding in a place called Hayling Island, alongside several other engines on display. He seemed quite battered, and had been hit by a truck full of sugar a few days earlier, being shunted by a careless S100 tank engine."

"That's an American one, isn't it?" Rarity said. "That must have been quite the mess to clean up."

"Tell me about it. Well, I got to cleaning him, and he told me that he had been there for days with the other engines, who had all been withdrawn alongside him. His parts were old, and he said he couldn't work for much longer, but I was sure this wasn't the case. He seemed quite withdrawn, until I told him I was a member of the Bluebell Railway."

"How did he react?" Rarity asked.

"He was the happiest I had ever seen an engine. I pursuaded the manager to buy him, and then myself and a team moved him to Sheffield Park, repaired the damage, and repainted him. In return, he asked if I could be his driver, and we've been together ever since."

"I've heard through the grapevine (and not the Railway Grapevine, mind) that they have saved other engines. Have they?"

"Oh yes!" Sweetie Belle nodded, her eyes aglow. "We have more than 30 engines at Sheffield Park, the largest private collection in Britain. Amongst the oldest are 323 and 27, a pair of P Class dock shunters used at Chatham docks until 1960. The manager, of course, chose to give them names. 323 became Bluebell, and 27 became Primrose. Some say he was wrong to do it, and they became a bit cocky afterwards, but they work hard alongside their drivers. All engines should have names, I think. Imagine if we only referred to people by numbers!"

"Quite right," Rarity nodded, her toast finally ready. She popped it onto a plate, put some butter and jam on it, and then sat down opposite Sweetie Belle. "What other engines are there?"

"We also have Adams, named after his builder. His number is 488, and they used him at a place called Axeminster until 1963. He's a wonderful engine, and can pull away with most passenger trains on the quiet days. He and Bluebell often topped and tailed trains in the old days. Then there's Cromford. He's interesting."

"How so?"

"He's from London originally, built for the North London Railway, and his number is 58850. He was then moved to a place called Cromford in Derbyshire, to work a section of railway called Hopton Incline. At 1 in 13, it was the steepest adhesion worked railway in Britain!"

"And I thought getting up Gordon's hill was hard enough!" Rarity exclaimed. "You didn't have any trouble there, did you?"

"No, not at all," Sweetie Belle replied. "Then there's Baxter. He's quite the celebrity. An industrial who worked at a quarry. You wouldn't like him; he has quite the foul mouth!"

"Good gracious!" Rarity cried. "Whomever purchased him needs to give him lessons in etiquette!"

"Oh well," Sweetie Belle sighed. "I don't mean to sound rude, but Stepney and I don't get out much more. The trains are too long and heavy for him, and they tend to use the S15 or 9F most days. What we would like is some work to do whilst we're here."

"Well," Rarity smiled, "I'll speak to Sir Toppham Hatt and see what I can do for you two."



Rarity was true to her word, and soon Stepney and Sweetie Belle were put to work alongside Duck and Apple Bloom shunting Knapford yard. It wasn't long before engine and driver struck up a firm friendship. Later that day, Thomas came by for a while, and then headed out on a train. But no sooner had the train left, than a great commotion started up.

"What's goin' on?" Apple Bloom asked, looking concerned.

"I don't know," Duck replied.



Later still, the signal box suddenly went crazy, as the buzzer sounded out a rarely heard code. 1-5-5. "What?" the signalman asked. "Surely that's a mistake, as that's the code for a special train!" Then another set of codes went off. "Ah, it is a special!" he said.

Meanwhile, Thomas sat at a red light before the station. "What's going on?" he grumbled. "Why are we being held here?"

"I don't know," Twilight replied. "Don't ask me!"

Just then, in the distance, they heard an unfamiliar puffing noise, and a pair of headlamps sat level in front rolled towards them. Express headcode, it was, and Stepney rolled out of the gloom, illuminated by the station lights. Pulling one coach, he stopped at the signal box, and Sweetie Belle handed the token over to the signalman. Stepney then whistled, and puffed away into the night.

"What?" Thomas said. "Bust my buffers, I've never seen anything like that!" But he was cross the next morning. "Shunting on my own branchline?" he exclaimed. "It's a complete disgrace, I tell you!"

"On the railway where we work," Sweetie Belle said to him, as Stepney rolled to a halt outside the yard, "we're glad when we get anything to do."

"And sorry about that," Stepney added. "But the train was a special. An important passenger came to the station after you'd gone, and said he had to get home. So, Sweetie Belle and I provided a high speed run home for him. Duck would've taken it, but he and his driver Pudding Spoon-"

"APPLE BLOOM," Sweetie Belle reminded him.

"But he and his driver Apple Bloom let us take it. We had a smooth run, no record breaking of course."

"How about I show you the road?" Thomas suggested.

"Of course," Stepney smiled. "Always defer to local knowledge, that's what I say."

Thomas was so flattered he immediately forgot to be cross, and set about telling them the way.

Author's Note:

Of the Stepney stories, this one has the distinction of being predominantly exposition rather than narrative, or as one less than positive Guardian writer put it, "showcasing Awdry's fetish for preserved railways".

Battersea is the junction where the Chatham and Brighton lines diverge. It is also where the first season of TTTE was filmed.

PreviousChapters Next