• Published 6th Aug 2012
  • 802 Views, 3 Comments

Derpy's Magic : Blackout - WillowWing



Full moons and quiet nights aren't always peaceful.

  • ...
 3
 802

Blackout

Caught up, and I can’t feel my hands

Twilight sighed heavily as she stared at the glittering full moon that hung over her, seeming to rest on her hoof as she held it out. She was bored and alone and sitting on her balcony reflecting was not helping.

No need to chase

A quiet knock on the front door drifted to the mare’s ears and she perked up, rushing down the stairs two at a time to answer. A strange look passed over Twilight’s face; it was Derpy Hooves.

Can you relate?

“Hi there, Twilight! I was bored silly, and you looked bored too! I wanna show you something!”

Can you keep up the pace

Twilight frowned, but didn’t object as the ditsy grey pegasus grabbed her hoof and pulled her out the door. After regaining her balance, the purple mare began to gallop after the other, rather curious about what the other could have to show her. They weren’t that close.

Like you’re dying for this?

Twilight’s breath came in short bursts as she ran after Derpy. She wasn’t used to so much exercise, but the other mare refused to slow down, apparently very eager to get to…where ever she was going.

And when you say

“Derpy!” The pegasus stopped as Twilight shouted.

“I’m not okay, I left my phone in the cab”

“Where are we going? Please, it’s late…”

Now you can’t get me

Derpy smiled. “You can leave if you want. But believe me, you don’t wanna miss this. Look!”

I’m only getting started

The moon was resting on a different hoof here, a hand of the earth; a spire of dark rock supported the celestial being as it seemed to stop ascending to rest there. Twilight gasped as a swarm of brilliant points of light danced from around the stone, twisting and entertaining into gorgeous patterns. Ghostly music wormed into her ears, ebbing and flowing quietly along with her heartbeat.

I won’t blackout

Twilight’s breathing again became shallow as the music began to grow, swelling and throbbing around her, threatening to take her breath away completely. Derpy grinned, amused by the mare’s astonished expression. The pegasus then began to dance, rising into the air as she twisted her body in time with the music, which had now climbed to a fevered pitch. Twilight bit her lip, unsure of what to do.

This time I’ve got nothing to waste

Seeing no alternative as the music began to overwhelm her, Twilight slowly started dancing as well, and the music immediately swept her up, moving her limbs with as much authority as her own brain. A thick heat began to unfold throughout her body, culminating in a shower of purple sparks as it rose to the tip of her horn. This was ecstasy.

Let’s go a little harder

Derpy whooped at the sparks and floated down to Twilight, joining in her dance as the fireflies swirled around them. Their eyes closed, and the mares drifted in and out of consciousness as they swayed and convulsed with the music, apparently entwined in some kind of magic.

I’m on fire

Twilight caught only brief glimpses of her surroundings as she whirled in the hectic dance, which gained intensity all the while, only to drop back down as it reached its peak. The heat spreading through the ponies’ bodies multiplied tenfold, burning out their throats as they shrieked and cried in pain and rapture, completely enfolded in the music’s embrace.

I won’t blackout

Twilight stumbled, bumping against Derpy. She could vaguely feel little fireflies brushing against her coat, entwining themselves in her mane and tail. Derpy was similarly clad, her hair seemingly on fire as the bugs came to rest in her locks, golden against the blinding moon.

I’m on my way

Time became extraneous as the fireflies began to speed their own dance, churning around the two mares like a radiant ocean, parting and surging around them with practiced ease.

I’m only getting started

A soft breeze caressed Twilight’s flushed face as she was slowly lifted into the air. She didn’t register the change at first, but she soon saw Derpy rising beside her, a few dozen feet off the ground. Immensely tall, thin pine trees surrounded them on all sides but one, where the moon shone through, a detail Twilight had completely overlooked on her breakneck way to their destination.

Inhale to the top to my lungs

The air was colder as they stopped ascending, but their body heat only climbed higher as the music reached its final peak. A silent scream tore through both mare’s throats as the heat seemed to explode out of their chests out into the air and ever-circling fireflies.

I’ve been dying for this

Twilight closed her eyes and leaned against the soft breeze at her back, pleasantly cool against her sweat drenched skin. Her lips twitched upwards in the ghost of a smile as the music died, trailing into a silence so deafening Twilight was sure her life was slipping away. She could feel Derpy beside her in a similar position and opened her eyes just slightly, using the last reserves of her strength to catch a glimpse of the millions of fireflies lowering them gradually back to earth.

This won’t stop till I say so

Heavy pounding filled Twilight’s body, threatening to burst her skin and send her soul flying into the soundless oblivion that clouded her brain and dragged her down with tender hands into its soothing grasp.

This won’t stop till I say so

A sweet taste spread through her mouth, strange against the crisp, hot air that had recently been filling her throat and lungs.

This won’t stop till I say so

A soft voice whispered restful words in her ear, begging her to give in to the pulling and sink back against the velvety darkness at her back, to let it swallow her up and invade her very closest thoughts and memories. The blackness closed over her eyes, and the whispers stopped.

Going and going and going and going and go.

-----

Soft sunlight filtered through Twilight’s eyelashes as she opened her eyes a sliver. Her bedroom ceiling sat above her as always, her cozy blankets wrapped comfortably around her. A quiet groan slipped passed her lips as she turned over.

A knock on the front door caught her attention. She dragged herself out of her blankets’ warm embrace and tromped sluggishly down the stairs, wondering who on earth would be calling this early in the morning. It was Derpy Hooves.

Twilight’s eyes widened.

“You! The fireflies and the rock and the moon! We danced and danced…I was dying, and your mane was on fire!” Twilight could barely breathe as the grey pegasus stared at her.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” A goofy smile lit up the mare’s face. “But you wanna go get some breakfast?”

~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note - The lyrics are from Blackout, by Breathe Carolina. I don't own the song or the lyrics.
This is a rather random oneshot, though I might do other 'Derpy's Magic' stories.

Comments ( 3 )

I also had no idea what category this should go in. If anyone else has any better places, that would be great.

Possibly Slice of Life. It really can't be Random, ritualistic as it is, and nothing much else seems to fit with it.

The pictures that dance in the reader's head -- this reader's head, anyway -- would have justified the reading no matter what the tag.

1037472
Thank you~! I'll probably change the tag to include that...I'm really not sure, it's just... *shrug* I was going for the vivid imagery, so I'm glad that worked. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment