• ...
17
 463
 9,328

Staccato

"Hi Rainbow Dash!"

"GAAAH!" The pegasus jumped in surprise, nearly spilling her saddlebags as she backpedaled from the ludicrously happy expression that had appeared in front of her. "Pinkie! Where did you come from?!"

Pinkie tilted her head. "Hmmm. Well you see, Rianbow Dash, when a pony and another pony reaaaaaally love each other, they--"

With a sigh, the weathermare clapped a hoof over the baker's mouth. "Yeah, not that. I walked into that one. Do you want anything?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to help me cause I have this really cool idea for a new dance only it needs somepony on top of me doing a different dance and you have wings so you wouldn't actually fall off or if you did it wouldn't be hurt--"

"Sorry, no. I'm... busy." Rainbow Dash glanced around. "Got something big in three days... Got to get everything ready."

"Oooooooh. What is it?"

The pegasus rubbed the back of her head. "Weeeeellllll it's kinda sorta something that, ya know, only Cloudsdale ponies would understand and, well, it's.... something." She waved a hoof vaguely. "You know. Just... one of those things that I have to do."

Pinkie gave her an admonishing look. "Rainbow Dash, are you keeping a secret from me?"

"...You know what? I am."

"Oh, okay then!" The party pony returned to grinning. "Just wanted to make sure."

"Wait that's it? No 'what are you doing' or 'what's in my saddlebags'?"

"Don't you worry silly filly! Everypony has some secrets, and I don't mind not knowing. Just so long as I know about the secrets that I need to know about to help ponies out because ponies keeping secrets just so I could not help them is kinda silly when you think about it."

"Er, yeah!" Rainbow nodded enthusiastically. "Silly! And I wouldn't do anything as silly as that."

"Well not unless your reputation depended on me not embarrassing you in front of a bunch of ponies."

The weathermare sighed. "Believe me, Pinkie, it's the other way round."

The baker nodded in understanding. "I gotcha, family can be embarrassing."

"Yeah they--" Dash's eyes shot open. "How did you know that?!"

"I didn't! I just guessed." Pinkie Pie giggled. "But don't worry, I know the feeling definitely. You know my mom just can't stand the taste of cupcakes or regular cakes or anything that's too sweet? She'll eat my stuff of course but she always makes these wacky faces like glargh or oooog and then she pretends it's nothing so I have to make a lot of crackers to put on her plate so she's happy." The earth pony shrugged. "Moms are weird."

"Try having three."

"You have three moms?"

Rainbow Dash waggled a hoof noncommittally. "See what happened was... there were these three brothers, right? And they each married a mare, and all the mares happened to be sisters. And all six of them sort of communally raised each other's children. So that's my family life," she finished lamely.

"Ooooo. That explains so much."

The pegasus narrowed her eyes. "What, exactly, is that supposed to mean?"

Pinkie Pie just giggled. "That's why you're so embarrassed about meeting your family on Thursday and don't want me to know about it right?"

After a moment, the pegasus nodded. "...Yeah. That's completely right, you're very observant. Now if you'll excuse me I need to head home and do things." She turned to leave

"Don't you worry about a thing! I Pinkie Pie promise not to crash your secret family barn party Thursday!"

Rainbow's head snapped around. "HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT?!"

"Apple Bloom told Sweetie Belle who told Spike who told Twilight who told me." Pinkie rolled her eyes. "Really though, trying to set up a party on your own when my special talent is parties is kinda hurtful, Dashie. Are you sure you don't need me to--"

"Family affair! Tradition! No outside help! Sorry gotta fly!"

The baker watched the polychromatic trail speed through the sky with a sigh.

After a moment, though, she grinned mischievously and hopped down the road. New ponies were going to visit Ponyville soon, after all, and she hadn't ever said anything about not throwing them a party not at the barn....

***

"Rainbow Dash, what in tarnation are ya'll doing with mah barn?!"

The pegasus looked up guiltily as Applejack stormed through the doors with a snarl. "I'm--I'm just sweeping it out! That's all!" She glance around. "And, well, kinda setting up a carpet."

"Kinda." The farmer tapped the red monstrosity that covered the entirety of the barn floor. "Ah ain't no expert, but Ah'd label this as a Neighponese hoof-woven import with custom crest and, if ah ain't mistaken, no less then seven blessings upon all who walk across it written inta tha border."

Rainbow Dash stared at her.

"...Ah spent three months in Manehattan. Ya kinda pick up on these things."

"Er...." The pegasus smiled awkwardly. "I just... my... aunt had this lying around, and she sent it ahead, you see, so--"

Applejack stomped her hoof down. "THIS AIN'T SOMETHING THAT JUST LIES AROUND RAINBOW! This is worth about a fourth of Sweet Apple Acres! What in the hay are ya'll hiding from me?!"

"...I have a rich aunt, that's all!"

"Oh, nonono. That ain't enough. Thar's rich, then there's this. This is rich fer tha rich." The earth pony walked calmly across the carpet she had identified, closing in on the increasingly nervous pegasus. "Yer asking ta use mah barn, making it more froufrou then Rarity, and want me to kick mah own kin out fer a day so ya'll can spend it with yers. Something's up, Rainbow Dash. Something big. And quite frankly Ah'm thinking of taking tha barn back just ta spite ya, but Ah don't want ta leave ya hanging. So, yer gonna tell me what the hay is going on here."

The weathermare, now pressed against the wall, looked into the still emerald lakes of concern and anger. Eventually, she sighed in defeat. "All right. All right, I... Pinkie Pie promise you won't tell anypony else?"

"...Cross mah heart, hope tah fly, stick a cupcake in mah eye."

Rainbow Dash breathed in. "I... well... that is, my grandma...." She shuddered.

And then she told her.