• Published 1st Aug 2012
  • 14,294 Views, 429 Comments

A Day With Dad - MyOpinionIsSuperior



Life is full of wonderful surprises. Our family can sometimes be one of them.

  • ...
13
 429
 14,294

Breakfast

Soarin’ pulled out the last slice of apple pie in the fridge, placing it carefully on the kitchen table. The crust flaked off but still retained a delicate texture. The filling was soft, but firm enough to prevent spilling out of it’s flaky casing. It was the perfect slice. Soarin’ closed his eyes and prepared to meet the sweet touch of apple pie on his tongue, only to slam into the wooden table instead.

“Owww…” He moaned, rubbing his snout. Great, another bruise…

Looking up, he saw Rainbow Blitz fluttering in midair, holding the plate defensively as he shot his father a venomous glare.

“Rainbow Blitz, give Daddy his breakfast back, right now!” Soarin’ commanded, his tone very serious due to the recent depravation to his sweet tooth.

Blitz scowled. “No way Dad! You can’t have sweets for breakfast anymore. Doctor’s orders, remember?”

Soarin’s contorted his face into the saddest, most pathetic look he could give.

“Pleeeeease Blitzy? Daddy just wants a tiny slice of apple pie, that’s all.”

“No, now stop asking or I’ll tell Mom that you tried to cheat your diet,” Rainbow Blitz said flatly.

Soarin’ gasped, his eyes wide with fear. “You wouldn’t dare!”

Try me. Besides,” Blitz continued. “She said I could have the last piece if I stopped asking what…” He paused, trying to pronounce the word correctly. “Con-track-shuns were.”

“Oh…” Soarin’ croaked, flinching as he guessed how his son learned that word.

Rainbow Blitz raised an eyebrow and gave his father a cocky grin as he placed the pie slice on the table and slid it towards him.

“That is, unless you’d like to tell me.”

Soarin’ immediately pushed the plate back.

“Just take the pie.”


Rainbow Dash sat with her five best friends, laughing and talking together for the first time in weeks. They used the book club as an excuse to pardon themselves from their busy lives and families, although they did actually discuss the new Daring Doo book initially. Dash went about telling her friends the morning’s events, only to be interrupted by Applejack.

“Yeh mean ta tell me you left Soarin’ alone with a slice o’ pie in the house?” She chuckled, shaking her head. “So much for his diet.”

Rainbow Dash gave Applejack an evil grin.

“Oh, I don’t think his diet will be broken anytime soon. Rainbow Blitz will make sure of that, trust me.”

“He’s only five, Rainbow,” Twilight piped up. “As feisty as the little tyke is, Soarin’ is still the grown up in charge, no matter how goofy he is. I’m afraid he’s already taken care of that pie slice, and more knowing his eating habits.”

“Nu uh, Twilight,” Pinkie Pie objected, her face showing genuine concern. “If anything I’d be worried about Soarin’, not his diet or the pie. I’ve heard stories from my little Surprise after Rainbow Blitz takes her on his pranking adventures. That kid can be scary.” Pinkie shuddered.

“Hey, Surprise is not that innocent herself,” Rainbow said, defending her son.

“I didn’t say she was,” Pinkie countered. “But honestly, who comes up with the idea of planting bread crumbs on the Summer Sun Festival’s location the night before, and then scaring the birds that flocked there with a brass horn?!”

All six mares flinched as they remembered that day. Bird poop fell from the sky like rain, drenching everypony including Princess Celestia herself with urea and fecal material. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie apologized for hours, despite the princess assuring them that she actually appreciated the prank, being quite mischievous herself.

“I am ever so grateful my child does not partake in such crude humor,” Rarity said in her indigent tone.

“Yeh,” Applejack responded, her voice dripping with sarcasm. “She only fights with my young ‘un whenever they meet and made Fluttershy’s cry constantly.”

“For the record, he made her cry back,” Fluttershy responded.

Why do you guys let them hang out with each other?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Because they’re having fun,” All three mares responded.


Soarin’ took another unhappy bite of his oatmeal, chewing the food if only to punish it for tasting so bland. He glared over towards his tyrant of a son, munching happily away at the sweet, succulent apple pie. Rainbow Blitz wouldn’t even let his father add any cream or sugar to his oatmeal for flavor. With the threat of Rainbow Dash’s wrath looming over his head, Soarin’ didn’t have much of a choice in the matter.

Sensing his father’s displeasure, Rainbow Blitz formed an evil plan in his mind. Soarin’ looked up from his oatmeal, panicked thoughts crowding his mind. Blitz was giving him the most adorable, innocent smile he could muster. Yep, I’m definitely in trouble.

Soarin’ gulped. “What is it Blitzy?”

“You can have the rest of my pie Daddy,” Blitz responded, forming a smirk with his lips.

“Awesome! Thank you Blitzy… wait,” Soarin’ said, noticing the wicked grin on Rainbow Blitz’s face. “What’s the catch?”

“No catch! All you gotta do is eat a spoonful of cinnamon first for flavor,” Blitz said. “No biggie, you like cinnamon. I like cinnamon. Most ponies like cinnamon.”

“Well that sounds weird, but sure! Anything for the rest of that pie!” Soarin’ cheerfully responded.

Rainbow Blitz zipped into the cabinet, bringing out a red container and spoon. Shaking the powdered spice into the scoop, he filled it to a level that he felt was satisfactory and passed the spoon to his father. Without a second thought, Soarin’ licked his chops and chomped onto the utensil.

"........"

The burning itself was a horrendously painful sensation. It only became amplified as the powdered cinnamon absorbed every drop of spit, shattering any chances for Soarin’s mouth to fight the fiery spice through natural salivary processes. His body acted without thought, drawing breath through his mouth as a desperate attempt to cool his tongue. Burning powder rushed down his esophagus, giving Rainbow Blitz the reaction he was waiting for.

“BLEHEHEHE!” Soarin’ coughed and choked, spraying cinnamon everywhere. Rainbow Blitz pounded the ground with a hoof, laughing as his father rushed to the sink, letting it bring the sweet, cool relief he needed. Soarin’ sunk to the ground, groaning from the physical pain and embarrassment. Trotting up with smug confidence, Rainbow Blitz dropped the plate in front of his father.

Soarin’ forgot his misery, eyeing the remainder of the baked good with bliss. The flaky crust, the soft, delicious apple filling flavored perfectly with…. cinnamon. Pinning his ears back and shuddering, Soarin’ pushed the plate back towards his son for the second time that morning. Rainbow Blitz crammed the remainder in his mouth, pie filling dripping off his chin as he attempted to chew more than he should have bit off.

“Shorry Dad,” Blitz said, spraying crumbs. “Buh I bee wah-tin do fry at ‘un fovea.”

Soarin’ sighed. “Don’t talk with your mouth full, Blitzy.”

Blitz swallowed and licked his chops. “I said I’m sorry Daddy, but I’ve been wanting to try that one for like… ever. Surprise told me about it after she got her mom with it. Who’da thunk something so tasty could be so…”

“Painful,” Soarin said flatly, his ears pinned back and his expression showing that he was not amused at all. “You know, I don’t have to give you your flying lesson…”

Rainbow Blitz pounced, grasping onto his father’s face with all four limbs.

“OhmygoshDadI’msosorry. Please please pleeeeease don’t do this! I Pinkie Promise, no more pranks today.”

Soarin’ raised an eyebrow skeptically, earning a sheepish grin from Blitz in return.

“Well, no more on you anyway.”

Soarin’ smiled, satisfied for winning this minor battle. After some cross motions with their hooves and finalizing the pact with a hoof on the eye, father and son stepped outside to begin the day.