• Published 30th Jul 2018
  • 1,173 Views, 58 Comments

My Little Ponys' The Count of Monte Cristo - kahnac



Betrayed by those he once trusted, Shining Dantes is sentenced to life in prison for a crime he didn't commit. But he escapes, and discovers treasure beyond imagining. And now he will use it to exact his revenge. For he is The Count of Monte Cristo.

  • ...
7
 58
 1,173

Final Act - The end begins

"The Count of Monte Cristo, now revealed to be the believed late Shining Dantes, pardoned of all accusations. Count Sombra Mondego, and Ex-Crown Prosecutor, Neighsay Villefort, await trial and imprisonment following vigorous testimonies. Lord Tirek Danglars to be brought before The Princesses to be demoted, dethroned, and sentenced to imprisonment in The Chamber of Peers." Tirek read angrily in his lounge, before throwing a now crumpled newspaper away. He then walked over to a nearby window, and began to muse to himself. "So Shining Dantes does still live. And now, he's returned to rob me of everything I possess - just as I did to him." he chuckled. "What irony: my wealth is gone, dragons and changelings and minotaurs alike have abandoned me, and now I am to be imprisoned once again: all thanks to one, little pony." Then he sneered. "But perhaps it's time I teach that fraudulent fool what happens when he locks horns with the likes of me. Guard!"

"Yes, sir?"

"Summon Grimmwing, and recall my remaining forces to Midnight Castle." he grinned. "The time has come to accelerate my plans." All the while, he remained unaware of the little grapefruit fly spying on him with lavender eyes.


"Oh! please, excuse us, madame." Bertuccio said as he, and Garble Jaccapo carefully entered Shining's bedroom, with a clearly disheveled Cadence only now waking up. Even though nudity wasn't an issue, the pair were still decent enough to carefully grab her dress, and send it over to her. She noticed very quickly that she was alone in the bed. "Where is The Count?"

"Uh, he's....away on some errand right now." Garble said. "But before he left, he wanted us to tell you that you were invited to join him in the carriage."

"What carriage."

"The carriage to take you, and your son out of the country with him." Bertuccio said. "Once you gathered whatever you might need from your home."

Ah, yes, home. Now there was a word she was loathe to hear. Though she was happy that Shining was making such an offer, she was only partly thrilled to return to her 'husband's' home. But she knew she had to do it. And so it was, with only her headdress, ring necklace, and her shoes she ran to the Mondego estate to finally do what she needed to. The only thing she needed to do.

It was time to break things off.


When Cadence returned to the estate, she was shocked to see it in such disarray. Furniture overturned, and broken, with the servants more than nervous for their master's well-being. Needless to say, she wasn't intimidated, and knew what she had to do. "Where is Mondego?" To noponies surprise, he was in his bedroom. As she entered, finding a letter on a stand by the doorway along the way, she noticed every dresser in the room being emptied into a single suitcase frantically. Though she knew the reason behind his haste, she decided to play dumb, and asked what was wrong.

"I don't have time for explanations." he said. "But to put it simply, I'm to be arrested."

"On what charges."

"Conspiracy, treason and murder."

"And did you do those things?"

Mondego hesitated for a moment, but he did give an answer. "Yes. The Royal Guard will be here any moment. Pack your things, and find our son."

Cadence merely shook her head, and said, "I'm not going anywhere with you." This solicited a rather volatile response from Sombra, which involved using his dark magic to blast a nearby mirror to pieces. Purple smoke radiating from his eyes as he spoke. "Now, is not the time for your obstinance. You are MY wife, and you go where I say you go. The arrangements have already been made. Now do as you're told, and find my son."

"There's only one problem with that." Cadence said, before she glared at the unicorn, and said, "Albert is not your son." When she saw that she had Sombra's full attention, she revealed the truth of Albert's heritage. "He is the son Shining Dantes - the pony who was a brother to you.....and yet you still betrayed just to have me be yours." Sombra's eyes widened at this revelation. "Why do you think I was so quick to marry you sixteen years ago? It was Twilight's idea when I confided in her about my pregnancy to avoid any trouble. She cast a protection spell over Albert so that he would be born after we..... slept together for one night. And time dilation so that he would continue to grow afterwards."

Now, it was Sombra's turn to narrow his gaze. "So you, and the purple alicorn outwitted me into thinking Albert was ours." Again, for the second time since his trial, Sombra began laughing a crazed laugh as he seemingly lost his mind. "And to think, I tried to be good to the both of you......even when part of me knew that Albert was his. The bastard son of a once believed dead pony." He then sighed as he said, "Goodbye, Cadence Mercedes: you truly did please me for a time." Her only response was to turn around, walk out the doorway, and then as she stood in the middle of the frame, look back and say, "You never pleased me, Sombra Mondego." She then left to pack, then once she was done, ran out of the former count's life forever.

A sight that was pleasing to Shining as he watched through a telescope from a nearby roof.

Once more, Sombra laughed as he said, "Shining Dantes. You took my entire wealth. You ruined my reputation. You made me a criminal. And now........now, you rob me of my wife, and son. There is nothing left for me now." He then sat down on the floor, and began panting in crazed fashion. But then, he noticed something as he stay in front of the window: a single pistol belonging to him, sitting on his nightstand. A sad smile crossed his face as he held the gun in his magic, then held it to his head, much to Shining's growing confusion, and unease. "You may have taken everything of material value...but my life is mine to control." He then smirked like a madpony. "And I could never live in a world where you have everything....and I have nothing." He then put the gun to his head, and pulled the trigger."

BAM!

"No!" Shining exclaimed as he watched the graphic scene. His legs felt weak, and he could barely stand. "This-.....this isn't what I wanted." And yet, it still happened. Through his single-minded desire for revenge, he drove a pony to kill themselves. Something he never intended for, nor wished even on his enemies. Now that he was no longer the ruthless Count he once was, he saw what his actions had spurned. And he knew now that this could no longer go on. "This has gone too far, and it needs to end."


News of Mondego's death reached through the city like a sea of snakes. And all Shining could do was walk through the streets to his estate with his head to the ground. How things had changed so drastically in such a short time. Once, he might have been elated at the news of Sombra's passing. Now, it filled him only with sorrow, and sadness as guilt ate away at them. Even if it was for ill-intent, he swore none of his victims would die. What was he to do now that that promise had been broken? These questions plagued him until he reached his home.

The moment he set hoof inside, he received a punch to the face. He shrugged it off, but was surprised to see Albert standing in front of him. Both of his wings spread in a threatening display. "I can't believe I ever looked up to you, Count. I trusted you, believed in you. And what happens? You destroy my father completely to the point he kills himself!" He then brandished a sword, to Shining's growing worry.

"Albert, please," Shining pled, "just let me explain."

"Explain what? How I was a pawn in your scheme to destroy my father's reputation? How you completely ruined my families life by exposing such wicked deeds?" He slashed at Shining, only for the stallion to deflect with his own blade. "Albert, listen: I didn't mean for things to go this far. But there are things you don't understand. Things you couldn't possibly-" Another thrust of the sword.

"Save your breath, Count." Albert said with an undertone of hatred. He soon began gathering a large crowd from inside the estate as Bertuccio, Jaccapo, Starlight, Trixie, and Thunderlane appeared to watch the spectacle. "I don't know what vendetta you had against my father, but he's dead because of you. And I intend to gain back his honor by taking your life. An eye for an eye, a wrong for a wrong." Once again, Shining parried Albert's blows, and was growing impatient with the stallion. "Boy, I don't want to hurt you....but I WILL defend myself, even if I have to injure you." Albert merely snorted as he said, "If you want me stopped, you'll have to kill me."

"NO!" Cried Mercedes as she stepped in front of Albert, who was shocked to see her here. "You don't have to do this, my son."

"But....mom, he-.......he killed my father! He drove him to suicide!" Albert argued.

"Mondego was a coward who took the easy way out rather than face his crimes." Cadence said firmly, which surprised Albert a little more. What she said next, however, would shock him to his core. "One of his greatest was taking away your real father, Albert'."

".......What do you mean?"

"I saw the letter you left, telling me what you planned to do." Cadence said. "And i'm grateful you told me. Because now, there is a truth that I must share with you." She drew close to her son, and brushed back his hair to look into his eyes, and said, "Albert'......you are the son of Shining Dantes. The pony you know as The Count of Monte Cristo." The young alicorn was not the only one in the room who was shocked by this news. Shining just couldn't believe this information, at first. But the more he thought of it, the more it made sense. He thought Albert looked awfully similar to him in appearance, and he saw much of himself in the colt. Then he remembered THAT night on the rocky beaches of Mareceilles - and the night of passion they shared back then, But, could it really be possible? "Cadence," he asked, "is-...is this true."

She nodded, and said, "Twilight helped make it so. It was the ONLY reason I was quick to marry Mondego: so he wouldn't grow suspicious, and do something drastic." Shining nodded in understanding, though he was still perplexed. Albert, however, was wracked with shock. It was a while before he found his voice again. "But....why didn't you tell me?"

"Because your mother enjoyed sleeping with any stallion she could find, as much as she does today." Suddenly came a threatening, and familiar voice. "Which doesn't surprise me in the least you turned out to be my enemies son: you have his caricature, after all." In the end, it was Shining who named the centaur stepping out of a portal of his own creation in full, navy armor, with Grimmwing at his side. "Tirek."

"Ah, The Count of Monte Cristo." Tirek said as he gave a mock bow. "Or should I call you by your true name, Shining Dantes? It's been so long, I had mercifully almost forgotten you. 18 years of banishment and imprisonment failed to end you, and now fate delivers you to me as an act of providence." Shining moved towards him, and said, "Too bad I can't say anything great about you, you over-sized lobster." Tirek growled at the insinuation, but then smiled again. "Witty word play in the face of danger. You most certainly HAVE changed."

"What are you doing here, Tirek?" Cadence demanded. "The other princesses will notice your absence from your trial, and will come for you soon."

"Actually, I came for you, my dear." he said, surprising everyone in the room. "You, your brat, and the purple unicorn The Count has been harboring. I have plans for all of you." Albert growled, and aimed his sword at the centaur. "And you think we would let you get away with this madness?" He then took to the air, and tried to run Tirek through. Grimmwing stopped him with a swing of his scythe, and sent him back to the floor with a gash on his chest. "Albert!" Both Shining, and Cadence cried out as they checked on their son. Thankfully, fate was kind, and he was alright. But The Count of Monte Cristo would not let this affront go unpunished. He re-brandished his sword, and then stood upright on his hind legs as he walked to meet the centaur.

"I see someone has taught you some tricks as well as how to wield a sword." Tirek chuckled.

"Allow me to give you a better demonstration!" Shining exclaimed as he lunged for Tirek, only for the centaur to dodge the attack, and almost send Shining through the still-open portal. Tirek then brandished a dark blade of his own: a broadsword of purple color that glowed unnaturally with dark magic. The handle was symmetrical, and seemed to resemble the centaur's horned head, as one adorned each side of the blade, with curved, jagged spikes aimed downward. And a black and red eye centered itself in the middle of the blade. All in all, this was a magical blade that Shining knew he had to watch out for. Thankfully, his own blade was Mythril Silver, and would not break so easily. Thus, the two engaged in a daring, and vicious sword duel to end their hated quarrel once, and for all.

Grimmwing, meanwhile, took advantage of the distraction, and engaged the group. Or at least he would have had he not had to deflect a blast of magic from a familiar changeling. "Pharynx!" Garble cried out, as he watched his friend draw a sword, and hold Grimmwing at bay. "I won't let you take those ponies!" Sadly, he was outmatched by the Gargoyles brutality, and combat experience. And after a few strikes from his scythe, he knocked the changeling back. Grimmwing then began to approach the group again. Garble tried to stop him, but was slapped aside. The same went for Bertuccio, who tried to fight the Gargoyle, but was beaten back. Thunderlane was knocked out of the air, and Trixie was scared away from a missed slash that cut her hat in half. Now, the only ones left were Cadence, Albert' and Starlight.

But once again, Pharynx stood in his way, trying to look intimidating with a hiss. Grimmwing looked at him in curiosity, and said, "You would risk your own life?"

"I....I have to." Pharynx stammered. "Zatarra risked so much for me, and the others. And he's never given up even once for anything. Now that he's found happiness again, I can't let anyone take that away from him, or let my friends be put in harms way. I love everyone here too much to let that happen!" He proclaimed. And almost as if on cue, Immediately after saying that, a huge glowing ball of energy surrounded the changeling like a cocoon. Pharynx was finally transforming.

When the process faded after a few minutes, Pharynx emerged looking noticeably different. He still had his black coat and purple eyes (though both were of lighter shades than they'd been before), but now he had light purple on his ears, two red horns on the top of his head, a red collar with three "jewels", red and purple butterfly wings, and red on his back with a light purple undersection. "Whoa......this is different!" he exclaimed, before igniting his horns, and readying a magic spell. "Now, where were we?"

All the while, the unicorn and centaur were still busy with their duel, paying little heed to anything else, proving equally matched despite their size difference. Suddenly, four gargoyles appeared, and shot the target ponies with a temporary sleeping powder, then clamped magic suppressants on their horns before carrying them through the large portal. By the time Pharynx noticed, it was too late. As it was for Shining, who let himself get distracted long enough for Tirek to slash him in the bottom leg, then the upper, before kicking him to the ground. He then pinned Shining to the ground by trying to grab him with his claw, which Shining tried to hold off. But Tirek smiled as he pushed down on the unicorn, and drew his claw closer. "So many scars you carry, Dantes...allow me to give you one more." He then cut into Shining's chest with his claw, making him grunt in pain. That only seemed to rouse Shining's anger further. "You sent me to hell! Why?!"

"Why?" Tirek asked. "Because you took what was rightfully mine. You were nothing, and yet you were promoted over me. And now, you've taken everything tied to my status as Lord, making me Tirek Danglars once again. That's twice you ruined me. Tis only right I return the favor, don't you think?" Shining only sneered in disgust. "You haven't changed at all in the years I used to know you: only now, you're more of a monster than you used to be."

"High praise coming from The Count of Monte Cristo....but now, this long game is over." He then aimed his sword over Shining. "And now, your grace...prepare to die." Shining's eyes narrowed, and he said, "Not before you, and not before I get my family back." Tirek readied to drive his blade through Shining's heart, when......

TIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIK

Tirek's eyes widened as he recognized that sound. To his horror, from behind, it came from the very monster who took his hand: the beast known as the Balrog. A massive demon of immense flame, with a pure black body, this winged horror was something out of a creature's worst nightmare. And it has been Tirek's nightmare since he first saw it. The worst was how the beast seemed to recognize Tirek almost instantly, as well as how it eyed his metal hand. Was it drawn to the red crystals from so far away? Either way, the beast made a sprint for Tirek, intent on finishing what it began. Grimmwing himself was so petrified by the demon that he didn't notice Pharynx turn into a fly, race to Shining, revert to his true form, then proceed to teleport him, Bertuccio, Trixie, Garble Jaccapo and Thunderlane.

Thus leaving Tirek to be chased by the Balrog while Grimmwing escaped through the portal, all through the estate as it lunged for the centaur.

While Tirek blasted it repeatedly to keep it at bay, the demon seemed to shrug off his magic, like it had zero effect save for angering it. It just continued to swipe at him with his claws, and bite at him with its jaws. All the while, it either tore apart Shining's home, or burned everything around it. The entire structure was beginning to collapse by the time the demon caught up with Tirek, who continued blasting fruitlessly away at the beast. Finally, in the fires of The Count's estate, the Balrog was ready to consume the centaur whole. Tirek feared for his life in this very moment as his eyes wandered aimlessly, looking for a way out. Then he heard a creaking from above, and realized that the building was going to come down. This gave him a good idea. He waited until the Balrog drew its paw back to swipe at him. Then, he teleported out of the way, and let it smash through the wall, and support column. To its surprise, this caused the part of the building it was under to collapse, and completely bury the demon under wood, and stone, effectively subduing it.

This caused the entire front of the building to collapse, and the estate to simply burn away from what fire remained.

Tirek teleported outside, and laughed triumphantly at his victory. "At last! I have conquered the beast!" He then chuckled quite deviously. "And now for the next phase of my plan." he opened a portal in front of where the Balrog's body could be seen, and then shouted. "Unicorn! The time has come! Accelerate the Void Spell, and begin draining the land of all its magic... starting with this accursed demon!"


Sunburst stood in the middle of the portal chamber, with the machinery all repaired, and completed. Now, he was making the final check-ups to make sure the machine was all set. That was when a group of gargoyles entered the room. He thought they'd been sent by Tirek to make sure he finished the machine. But what he saw made him gasp in shock. Not merely the sight of Cadence, and her son, Albert'...but a pony he cared for more than anything in the world. "Starlight!" By now, the sleeping drug had worn out and the three were awake. When Starlight saw Sunburst, she could contain herself. "Sunburst!" And she kicked a gargoyle in the shin to make it let her go, before she embraced her long, lost friend. "Oh, Sunburst, I thought i'd never find you!" she sniffled from crying tears of joy. "Aw, come on, Starlight, i'm okay. I'm okay." He hugged her more tightly. "I was just so worried about you."

Grimmwing, who had just arrived, mockingly said, "Such a touching reunion...but all this love it making me nauseous. Guards, seize her." The Gargoyles did just that, and hoisted her into the air as they forced the pair apart. "No, please, General!" Grimmwing held back the orange unicorn, and said, "Have no fear, we'll take good care of these 3." He then sneered. "That is, as long as everything is ready, and functional?"

"Yes, yes! Everything's now ready! I'll make sure it is, just don't hurt Starlight, or those other ponies!" Sunburst pleaded.

"That depends on yours, and their behavior...and the master's will."

Suddenly, a portal opened up, showing Tirek grinning wickedly, who then shouted, ""Unicorn! The time has come! Accelerate the Void Spell, and begin draining the land of all its magic... starting with this accursed demon!" There was a bit of a delay, until Tirek again shouted. "Do it, or you'll see what cruel fate awaits your precious friend!" Scared by that threat, Sunburst began making the preparations. The containers filled with the crimson stones powered up, and fired into the six artifacts. Thus allowing the next stage of Tirek's dark design to play out.

All over Equestria, creatures were beginning to lose their magical abilities. Unicorns could no longer use magic, Pegasi manipulate the weather, and the Earth Ponies connection to the Earth was severed. Even the wild animals, and beasts began to lose their power, and strength. Not even the fearsome Balrog, who broke free of the rubble, was safe from this spell. It grew wobbly, and dizzy as its very lifeforce seemed to drain from the beast, and was drawn into the ever-growing orb of magic being empowered by the dark sciences. Soon, the demon's flames extinguished, and it's body was left shrunken to that of a bear, and it was left dimly lit as it collapsed onto the ground. Once again, Tirek's roars of laughter echo across the area. "So much for the Demon of Shadow and Flame." He then used his magic to hurl the weakened demon into the portal.

All the while, Shining and his servants watched with complete horror. "What did you do?" Shining asked.

"What I planned to do ever since I became a ruling member of this nation: I have defanged all of Equestria, and left it helplessly dangling in my hook as I drained it of all its magic The Balrog was an unexpected bonus, but I have done it. The game is over." he proclaimed, transforming his claw into a metal hand, which he clenched into a fist, and let red lightning course through. "Keep your worthless treasure, Shining Dantes, The Count of Monte Cristo! I have for need of it! For now, the power is mine!"

Author's Note:

Keeping to the rather bleak tone of the book with Sombra's suicide. But as he is Mondego, and it's said he put a bullet to his head, I wanted that to be another thing that breaks shining out of his vengeance quest. He promised none of his targets would die in his crusade, and yet now he's driven the one he should hate the most to suicide.

That Shining came back from that at all is astounding.

But now he has other things to worry about: like Tirek finally cutting his losses, and coming for Starlight, as well as Shining's family (yes, the bit with Albert' being his son is movie only, but I liked it so I used it). During this, we finally see the Balrog that took Tirek's hand, which I hinted at semi-earlier in the story. How it got there, well, it's a demon...with wings...and can probably smell a mass influx of souls from Tirek's Daemon/Philosopher's Stones.

Not that it matters, as Tirek's plan finally comes to a head, and he begins stealing the magic of Equestria - something not even the Balrog is immune to. But why does he want all of Equestria's magic? And what does it have to do with that strange machine he forced Sunburst to help build?

Only time will really tell.