• Published 30th Jul 2018
  • 1,173 Views, 58 Comments

My Little Ponys' The Count of Monte Cristo - kahnac



Betrayed by those he once trusted, Shining Dantes is sentenced to life in prison for a crime he didn't commit. But he escapes, and discovers treasure beyond imagining. And now he will use it to exact his revenge. For he is The Count of Monte Cristo.

  • ...
7
 58
 1,173

Act II - Presenting The Count Of Monte Cristo

Since that day, much had occurred in the following weeks, spanning to two months.

Despite his lack of appearance, Shining had already become a sensational rumor among the ponies, and creatures of Equestria. Perhaps it began with his purchasing of a magnificent estate outside of Romane. In fact, it was on an auspicious, and beautiful day that a noble found a pony, and a dragon standing beside a large wagon on the road which lead up to the estate itself. The stallion had navy blue fur, a red mane, and purple eyes. Yet, to his friend, Garble Jacapo, and their employer, The Count, there was no mistaking this was Pharynx in one of his disguises. "AH, good afternoon, sir." He said in a polite tone. "My name is Ferris Link, and this is my friend, Jacapo. On behalf of our employer, The Count of Monte Cristo, we were hoping to purchase your lovely home."

The stallion in question couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the request. "Rubbish! I should have you horse-whipped! now be off with ya - before I set the dogs on the both of ya! Go on!"

But his tone soon changed when Garble opened the back of the tarp-covered wagon. Allowing all of its spoils to spill onto the ground itself. So much gold, and gems, and jewels was more than enough to silence the pony......and the glimmer of desire in his eye made him absolutely willing to have an exchange. Ponies will do just about anything for fortune. And an hour later, the deed had been signed, and the keys handed over to the duo. After politely thanking the two fellows, and shaking, he was off with his possessions to parts unknown.

And still, there was so much more business to attend to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been a long three months for Fancy Morrel. And in that time, things haven't been looking up for him. Despite his best efforts, hid debts still remained. And the shipping firm he had opened had not aided him in the slightest. Not ever since the loss overseas he had suffered, which had only enhanced his concerns. Hearing his daughter enter his study, he urgently asked, "Creme, my dear: any news of the Noble Lance?"

"i'm sorry, father." She replied sadly. "There's still been no word on where it is. I'm.....honestly starting to think it might have been lost at sea. I know you hate thinking something like that, but-"

"No, no, my dear." Morrel said grimly. "I......i just have a warm place in my heart for that ship, on account of once serving-" Morrel choked on his words. "My dearest friends." He sighed. "So many wonderful memories of those days. Maybe that's the only reason Lord Tirek allowed me to keep it was to torture me by turning it into a mere cargo ship. Even so.....it kept us going until it went missing. Now.....I have no idea what we can do about it."

Creme, with a sympathy she always felt when her father got like this, stood beside him, placing a hoof on his back. "Please don't give up hope, father. Even if things are bad now, I know they'll get better soon. We'll find a way to make things better. I just know it."

"I truly wish I held your optimism, my dear sweet creme. But.........it's much too late for such a thing. Even though our debts were bought by somepony of anonymous name, we still have no means of paying off our debts. Now now, when the 3 month limit has arrived." He then placed both hooves over his head in despair. "It's hopeless." He was about to move a document regarding his debt collection, but for a minute his horn appeared to flicker for a moment, to his frustration. "Oh, blast! Why does this have to keep happening?" Once he flicked his horn, it was working again. And he shuffled everything to the side. "Again in the last 6 months my magic has been on the fritz. Perhaps my nerves are getting to me at last."

"But...it isn't just you, father. Everypony i talk too has the same thing happening to them. And noone even knows what's causing this to happen."

Morrel sighed deeply. "Then let us hope it isn't an epidemic of some kind. The last thing I need to worry about is a condition causing everypony to lose their magic."

Suddenly, a knock at the door went off, surprising the two. When Fancy was about to answer it himself, his daughter had him sit back down. A look said she would handle it, and she went off. Now, Morrel was left alone with his thoughts. Not a one being any good. With the pressure of his banking debt now having closed in, the loss of his shipping firm, and now the loss of his most treasure possession behind his dear, sweet Creme' was becoming too much to handle for the old stallion. All of it was all too overwhelming for even somepony like him to handle. Was there even any point in going on anymore? Maybe.......it was time to end it. End the misery, the humiliation, and.......

"FATHER!" Creme shouted through the halls, running up to a concerned Morrel. But his concern died when he saw the excited expression on his daughter's face. "Father, you won't believe it: the Noble Lance! It's been found!" And Morrel's expression changed from one of absolute despair, to one he had not shown, or felt in so many years.

Hope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He still had a hard time believing what he was seeing. And yet, there it was, right before Morrel. The S.S. Noble Lance, back in the Mareseilles docks, and looking as if it were in its prime. Never had Morrel imagined anything like this could happen, and yet here was the proof. His livelihood - his legacy, and the only remaining source of good memories - was returned to him. "This is incredible!" he exclaimed, turning to the red dragon, and purple maned pony next to him. "But how? How did you find this ship?"

"Would you believe it was completely by luck?" Garble asked with a light chuckle.

"To be honest, our employer found the ship by coincidence." said Ferris Links. "But when he found out who it belonged to, he was adament about having it restored. He also ensured it would be docked back in Mareseilles where he knew it truly belonged. He believes that a ship as grand as this is a terrible thing to lose."

Morrel smiled in gratitude. "Well.....you may tell your employer, whoever he is, that he has my thanks for finding and returning the ship." He looks to the ship. "She means a great deal to me, next to my dearest daughter. I couldn't imagine how i could live without either."

Ferris also smiles. "Don't worry, Mr Morrel. I can assure you he understands. That's why he also wanted us to give this before we left." With horn glowed violet as an envelope was drawn from his jacket pocket, and given to the gentlecolt. After saying their goodbyes, the pair left almost immediately. With that out of the way, Morrel curiously looked over the envelope he had been hoofed. Using his magic, he tore open the top, and pulled out a pair of letters from within. His eyes widened at the first one he saw: it was a notice explaining how all of his debts had been cleared, and he was absolutely free of his debt. His heart almost leapt out of his chest when he read the second letter, directed to him by the first, and saw exactly what it said - and who he had to thank for this miracle.

"Just as i promised, you luck has officially changed.

I truly hope you appreciate this, Mr. Morrel. Because it was truly the least I could do for you. Especially for all that you've done for me before.........well, before I was taken away. Consider this a thanks for your kindness, and friendship to me back when i was just a simple soldier. Now, I guess this makes up for my absence. And I hope this can help clear your conscience. I never blamed you for anything. Just know that, in time......I'll make things right again, for both of us.

Please take care, and make the most of your life - as I hope I can do for myself.

Your friend, The Count of Monte Cristo
Formerly known.........as your friend, Shining Dantes."

A single tear fell from Morrel's eye. And a happy, tremendous smile crossed his muzzle. A great weight felt as though it had been lifted off of his shoulders. Feelings of guilt he'd held onto for 14 years began to die away. Of course, he then remembered that a certain visitor of his who was a "friend" of Shining Dantes had said something similar. It didn't take long for him to realize that it WAS him that day - using an alias for obvious reasons. How he failed to recognize the stallion was beyond him. But he was happy that he was alright, nonetheless. At least something else had gone right in the gentlecolt's life that involved someone he cherished returning from oblivion.

"Thank you, god," he whispered, "thank you for giving me some justice."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some time later, in the city of Paris, life was as it always was. Ponies, and other creatures were going about their every day lives, with not a care in the world. All the citizens travelling to anywhere, and others were going about their trade. Sadly, there were some who were hardly doing as well as they could, and had been reduced to living as street urchins. Begging for scraps from others, and doing their best to live. Sadly, the Gargoyles under Lord Tirek's service made life hard for many ponies there. Usually involving the occasional harassment of ponies, or creatures trying to make an honest living, or who should have been beneath their attention. Otherwise, everything in Paris was as peaceful as it ever could be.

Today, however, was a special occasion, because it was a day the city was being visited by a certain entertainer, well known nearly throughout Equestria: a stage magician unicorn mare known as The Great, and Powerful Trixie. By this point, she had already become a well-known sensation in every location she had gone to. And now, she had taken her tour to the heart of Prance, itself. She had attracted quite an audience with her amazing performances, involving pyrotechnics, light-shows, and impressive, illusionary feats. Everyone was impressed by her skills on the stage. Yet there were already two who had an admiration for the mare, yet not merely for her skills. Bertuccio "Striking Sword", a smuggler who met her on the road during his travels, and Benvolio "Thunderlane", who was his stepson after marrying the stallion's mother many years ago. While the latter was a wonderbolt, he still went on trips with the stallion he considered a father, to see the sights of renowned cities such as this. Trixie had become a close friend of the family, and thus was it good enough reason for them to join her on tour on occasion - just so they could travel alot better. They both were very fond of Trixie, and always did their best to support her. Her latest show here was an example of the practice Bertuccio had done with her on the road. She was now at the climax of her performance. "And now, mares, gentlecolts, and creatures of all ages: prepare to be amazed, for the Great, and Powerful Trixie is about to show you a spectacular finale like you've never seen-"

"HALT! IN THE NAME OF THE LAW!"

Suddenly, every creature heard the loud commotion of a horde of Gargolye soldiers flying high above. Trixie huffed at the aggravating interruption of her shows climax. However, both Bertuccio, and Thunderlane were all wide-eyed, when they saw the teenage colt they had surrounded in the air. "Benedetto?" Bertuccio said in shock.

"Rumble!" Thunderlane gasped, seeing his younger brother trying to get away from the Gargoyles, while holding what appeared to be some kind of loaf of bread in his front leg/arm. He ducked, and dodged underneath every Gargoyle's advance, and even managed to get a hit on one of them, which gave him an opening to zip past the rest - much to the suspense of the crow below. But to his painful surprise, he got his from above as he was flying past an alleyway. Out appeared none other than Guild Caderousse, Lord Tirek's left hand, smirking at the teenager who was immediately dogpiled by the other Gargoyles.

"No!" Thunderlane exclaimed, flying over to the patrol.

"Thunderlane, don't!" Bertuccio shouted, before following after him. Trixie decided to do the same, running past the crowd, who was beginning to understand how serious a situation this was, and were leaving.

"Hello again, my little street rat." Guild said to the colt held in the grasp of two Gargoyles. "Can't ever seem to keep out of trouble, can we?"

"What can I say? Trouble's what I live for." Benedetto said with a smirk.

"Well, this time you've gotten into your last fill of trouble." A single talon scratched the side of his beak. "After all, a trip to the gallows will make sure you won't be "living" for trouble, anymore." Benedetto's eyes widened in fear, as he realized his luck had finally run out. They were about to haul him away, when a pair of familiar faces came around. "Wait!" Thunderlane exclaimed, flying in front of Caderousse. "Please don't hurt him! He's my brother!"

"Is that right?" Caderousse asked with mild surprise, and a look of disdain. "Then I apologize for the shame you must feel for this....little thief."

"Look, i-......i'm sure he might have caused some trouble around here, but....does that really call for him to be executed?"

"I don't think you quite understand," Guild said, clutching Benedetto's head from underneath his jaw. "This upstart has already been responsible for a number of thefts in this city. Otherwise, i'd just have him disciplined, stick him in the stocks for a day, and let him off. But as far as my lord's concerned, this idiocies gone on long enough. I'm goin' to do this city a favor by riddin' it of an appalling, filthy bandit who noone will miss."

"No." Thunderlane sneered, getting into a defensive position. "I won't let you hurt him." The display of bravery igniting a warm part of Benedetto's heart, and making him feel concern for his older brother. But only earned disdain from the griffon. "You ought'a think twice about what you're doin', boy. Challengin' me is challengin' Lord Tirek himself. You wanna go and make yourself public enemy # 1, and join your snot-nosed brat of a sibling in the gallows!"

"Thunderlane!" exclaimed Bertuccio, who ran next to his son. "Thunderlane, be still, and let me handle this." When the younger agreed, the older stallion spoke to the griffon. "Sir Caderousse, I implore you: don't deal out such a harsh punishment to a pony so young. I know if you just give him another chance, I can make sure he ends this life of crime, and is set straight. He doesn't need to die."

Guild cupped his chin in thought, before asking, "And let me guess: you're his guardian, perhaps?"

Though hesitant, Bertuccio nevertheless replied, "Yes, sir. I'm his stepfather. I lost track of him several years ago, and have been looking for him ever since. I worked so hard to make sure he has a good life....and I don't want to see it wasted again. So i implore you - for his sake - please, release him. I promise to set him straight." Benedetto felt somewhat moved by his stepfather's earnest words, and his head lowered in mild shame. Even Guild appeared mildly affected by such sentimental concern. "Mm......well........perhaps...I could give a little bit of leeway this time," The four ponies, including Trixie, who was watching from the side, felt the sensation of relief, until Guild said, "if perhaps you'd be willing to make a small payment for his release. Consider it a charge for bail."

The ponies looked dismayed, and grew fearful. They had no money on them, and nothing they could use to pay the griffon for his mercy. They searched their coat pockets, and only found a few bits inside. Truly bad luck Bertuccio had no work done recently, or else this wouldn't be an issue. Guild quickly noticed how short they had appeared to be running, and said, "then, once again, I apologize. But i'm afraid the law's the law. And this one's evaded it long enough. Now, he needs to be dealt with as a criminal should."

"Perhaps that won't be necessary." said the voice of a mysterious stallion. The group looked to see a grey furred stallion with a dull, two-toned mane that was grooved backwards, and tied in a pony-tail on the back of his neck. He had a few fading scars on his face, and his horn appeared to be covered in cracks. Around his neck was a cross-necklace. And though his features were neutral, he carried an eccentric smile as he greeted the griffon. "A much decided pleasure, Sir Guild Caderousse."

"Uh...thank you." Guild said, a little confused. "But i'm afraid you have me at a loss, Mr....?"

"Abbe'. I am Abbe' Busoni. Just visiting from Veneece to visit the magnificent wonders of this city, including the beauteous cathedral." He then looked over to Bertuccio. "But then I overheard this commotion, and heard the words of this kind-hearted stallion. One who has nobility, and compassion of much cherished value. Surely, this would be worthy of showing that perhaps this young colt is deserving of a second chance? Of forgiveness, and mercy?"

Guild sighed, "Look, father, I would most certainly be willing. but unless a payment is made for his bail, my claws are tied on this matter."

"Is that so?" Busoni asked, before using his magic to pull something out of his pocket. "Perhaps THIS will suffice?" The griffon, Gargoyle, and ponies eyes almost popped out of their skulls when they saw the huge, emerald diamond the Abbe' presented. "Believe me when I say compared to the life of another pony, this is a small trinket. And in turn, a small price to pay."

Guild didn't seem all too sure, at first. But the diamond shimmered in his eye. Even with with living the high-life in Lord Tirek's palace, he wasn't given anything as wonderful as this. And as much as he loathed creatures like Benedetto....he was sure somepony as worthless as him would be worth turning the other cheek for this time. "Very well, father: I accept." With a nod from Busoni, he was handed the diamond. And after giving a vile sneer at the grey-furred colt, he said "Release him." to the Gargoyles, and they complied. But then, he got up close to Benedetto, and said, "You better remember this, you thieving filth - or next time I will not be as forgiving. Now begone, Vagabond, before I arrest you for real." He then looked around to see other creatures staring at the scene they made. As he took off with his troupe, he shouted, "Back to your businesses, you scum! Or whatever else you worthless fools do on your time off! Just remember that if those of you assigned to Lord Tirek's construction project don't arrive on time, i'll imagine you're all stalks in a field, and do some tilling of my own!"

Once they had moved away, the 3 ponies turned to the Abbe' who had done them a great service. Bertuccio was the first to approach this mysterious pony. With great respect, he bowed his head, and said, "You have my gratitude, Abbe' Busoni. I was afraid of what might have happened to Benedetto had you not intervened. I'm not sure how I can repay you for saving his life, but I swear that I will, somehow."

"Same here." Thunderlane said. "I don't think I could've lived with myself if I lost Rumble. I really owe you."

Abbe' Busoni looked over the ponies who were indebted to him, and simply said, "If you truly wish to repay me....perhaps you might consider working for me, Bertuccio."

Bertuccio jolted in surprise. "You......know who I am?"

"Let's just say "Abbe' Busoni" isn't the only name i've gone by in my life - and i've had plenty of time working with smugglers, and pirates. So I learn quite a bit about the business - including those who are part of it. or at least were."

"You? A smuggler, and a pirate?" Thunderlane asked incredulously.

"I'm a count - not a saint." he joked. "In fact.........you could say i've been hoping to find allies like you. Folks who are noble, honest, compassionate, and who are willing to stand up for others. The kind who I believe could help me to bring some........ unsavory figures to justice. I promise you, the benefits are well worth any possible risks, and you would want for nothing ever again." He then looks to Thunderlane. "You could even provide for your son.....or I guess sons, as well as your wife."

Bertuccio's head lowers a bit, as do his ears. "My wife........is no longer around, sir." Thunderlane also appears saddened by this fact, while Benedetto appears to show hints of remorse. Either way, "Busoni" now feels bad for unwittingly opening old wounds. "I-....i'm sorry, Bertuccio. I didn't realize-"

"Apologies are unneeded." he said. "Though it still saddens us, we've learned not to dwell on the sadness. Knowing she wouldn't want us to grieve forever for her."

Busoni nodded in agreement. "Something I understand all too well. Still, as the saying goes: 'Tis better to have loved, and lost than to have never loved at all." His mind then goes back to a certain love of his own. "My only hope.......is that the memory of my love still burns brightly. At least as brightly as yours undoubtedly does."

Bertuccio nods in agreement. "I sense a great passion within you, Abbe' - or, count, as you call yourself. And the fact you went out of your way to help us even when it was of no concern of yours shows you have a noble heart. If this is the best way I can repay you for your generosity.......then so be it." He smiles, and holds out his hoof. "Consider my services yours, your grace."

Busoni takes the hoof in his own as he returns the smile. "I would be honored to have you by my side, sir Bertuccio. You, and your sons." He finally turned to Benedetto. "That is.......if both of your sons wish to join me as well?"

Benedetto finally looks at the stallion who had saved his life. "Look, Abbe, or count, or whoever you are: I AM grateful to you for helping me out. Don't get me wrong. But i'm not one for being in anyone's employ, or staying in their debt. As far as that's concerned, i'll figure out a way to pay you back. But it doesn't involve working for you," he looks to his brother, and stepfather, "or staying with ponies I left behind because of my own mistakes."

"Rumble, please-" Thunderlane tried to say, until Busoni raised up a hoof, and cut him off.

"I understand." He then smiled. "And to be honest, I already had the feeling you'd say that. Which is why, i made certain..... arrangements made to give you a fresh start, and a clean slate."

Benedetto blinked incredulously. "W-what?"

"Yep. As of today, your record's gone, and you have an establishment for yourself in this address." he handed the younger stallion a piece of paper, which had an address, and a name. "Andrea Calvacanti is as good a name as any to begin anew. Also, on a final note: if you're really interested in clearing your debt to me, then don't worry. Just take care of yourself, now. I've given you a second chance at life. Make sure you don't waste it."

The grey teenager considered all that he'd been told. And in the end, he gave the Abbe'/Count a nod of understanding. He turned around, and gave his former family, who looked to him with expressions of sadness, and showed he also held his own feeling towards them. But before they could even get a word in, he opened his wings, and took off into the air. The two stallions having feeling of remorse for not even getting to settle things with their lost family member. Busoni gave them a few moments before he said, "Alright, now, come and follow me. I have a carriage waiting to take us to Rome."

"Oh, wait!" Thunderlane said. "Is it alright if we let Trixie come with us? She's our friend, and we were travelling with her on her tour."

Busoni appeared surprised. "The Trixie? One of the most skilled, and exceptional stage magicians in equestria?"

"You know of me?"

Busoni smiled. "Why, who doesn't know of "The Great, and Powerful Trixie"? One whose skills on the stage are almost unmatched by any pony around. I've even had the honor of seeing a few of your shows while on the road. You, my dear, are an example of unrefined talent waiting to fully make its mark on the world."

Trixie actually blushed, and giggle from such a charming statement. "Well, trixie doesn't always like to boast, but.....you are most certainly right, good sir! And I happen to be on tour, like my friend Thunderlane already said." She quickly stopped herself. "Oh, but....are you sure you wouldn't mind my joining with you?"

"My dear, the road's still free." He briefly grimaced. "Unless "Lord" Tirek's taxed it." Unaware of Guild standing nearby, overhearing that bit of conversation, Busoni said, "All the same, I would appreciate having a stage hoof join my company. I require the assistance of a skilled showmare for my.......epic debut as the stallion the world will come to know me as."

"And who, may I ask, do you wish to be known as?" Bertuccio asked.

"Once upon a time, I was known as Shining Dantes, and have gone by many other names..........but in a short time, all of equestria will know me as "The Count of Monte Cristo."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another week passed, and now was the beginning of such an event. In preparation for his debut, the count sent out dozens of invitations to a number of aristocracy, and nobility. One of which happened to be the family Villefort. Neighsay himself had remarried in the 13 years since Shining's arrest, to an eccentric mare named Madame' Cinch. The two hit it off quite well, and were quite the pair. They even had a son together. Basically speaking, they had made quite a life for each other. And now, with this invitation from a new figure of aristocracy presenting himself, the intrigue couldn't help but overtake them.

Unfortunately, not all were able, or willing to accept the invitations. Even Lord Tirek himself had been given an invitation by the mysterious count. But his right hand, General Grimmwing, immediately shredded it upon receiving it from Guild. Tirek's work was far too important for him to be wasting time on some count trying to make a name for himself. Especially given the enormity of something special, and secret he'd been working on. What it was, noone knew. But it took up much of his time, and not many saw him. Once more, he would remain shut away in his Midnight Castle: a castle he had been building out of the old palace of Paris, which had been demolished following the end of the Lunar Conflict. Modeled after his old home in the Netherlands, but improved upon as a much more imposing, and threatening fortress befitting its ruler. This was what the creatures of Paris had been commissioned to work on constructing for the past 8 years following his seizing the throne. And it was all but finished now. Of course, Tirek himself was only slightly concerned with its completion, as his own secret project was of the upmost importance. Thus, even if he'd received the invitation, he most likely would have burned it to ashes, anyway.

Not that it mattered. For on the opening night of the count's magnificent debut, every pony, and creature coming from Prance, to Veneece would be taking about their illustrious host for a long time. And word spreads fast in the world. It would eventually reach the centaurian ruler in time.

For now, though, it was time for the show to begin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 13th, 7:30 am.

All of the guests who had been invited, with a few exceptions, had all arrived at the exquisite estate in Rome. The courtyard below the mansion, and the spiral staircase gates leading to it, were filled to the brim with many sophisticated ponies, and creatures of resourceful renown. Chief among them was Crown prosecutor, Neighsay Villefort, and his wife, Cinch Villefort, who were all too eager to meet this mysterious count whom their letters spoke of. Unfortunately for them, they still had to wait quite a while before they even heard anything. At least, they used the time to mingle around with other ponies, and the like. So it was that the time soon became 8:00.

The time for when the magic would begin.

Standing upon the stone railing which connected the two gates above, Trixie looked down to the crowd below while wearing an extravagant dress which was lavender in color, and had stars all over it. it was quite reminiscent of her normal magicians attire, but it was far more befitting of a gala. Noone had noticed her just yet, but that only made her smile in anticipation for the surprise. Her horn ignited with a bright aura of magic. And a few minutes later, the sky was alight with a number of dazzling fireworks: all of which fired out of her own horn. This garnered the crowds attention. All of whom were soon finding themselves impressed by the shimmering display of lights, and explosions. But it was soon followed by the skillful aerodynamics of five pegasi led by Thunderlane. All of them were zipping through the sky, and around the magnificent fireworks before they even went off. This combination dazzled the crowd in extraordinary ways. All of them were stomping their hooves, or clapping their appendages in applause. Once it was seen that their full attention had been gained, Thunderlane and his troupe hovered above Trixie while two more figures appeared at either side of Trixie: One was Bertuccio, leaning on the left side of the rail. And the other Jacapo, standing on the right side. Both of whom were wearing the finest suits imaginable. And both of whom were ready to get the main event underway.

"Mares, and Gentlecolts, and Creatures great, and small." Jacapo said. "We hope that you are beginning to enjoy yourselves on this fine evening. For the host of this gathering has only ensured the best for his initial introduction."

"And now," Bertuccio said, "It is time for our esteemed, and most gracious host to make his presence known to you. And in turn, make his presence known to the rest of Equestria. I'm sure many of you have long since heard the rumors surrounding him by now. A stallion of seemingly endless wealth who has been to many corners of the world, and done many inquisitive things that few have ever heard, or seen. At least, that's what they say."

"Well, tonight is the night all of you will have the honor, and privilege of meeting this colt of mystery for yourselves." Jacapo said. "Now please, prepare yourselves. For it is with great pleasure that we present to you his excellency, and grace."

"Please welcome The Count of Monte Cristo!"

And with a motion of the duo's claw and hoof respectively, just as Thunderlane, the pegasi, and Trixie, all stepped down to the sides, the attention of the crow was drawn to something emerging from behind the great stone mansion. It was a hot air balloon. Massive, and of grand display. It was almost a symbol of what the mysterious count himself was possibly like. All watched with intrigue as it drew closer, and nearer to the ground. Trixie continuing her fireworks display as it descended. Before it did, four acrobatic ponies slid down the same number of ropes hanging from the balloon's basket. All of them twisting, and swinging around in display in entertainment for the crow below. The performance did its work, and garnered further interest from the ponies. But finally, when they drew close enough, the acrobats slid down to the ground, and pulled on the ropes to lower the balloon to the ground. It landed with a gentle grace, right before the mansion in a gravelly courtyard. Here, Jacapo flew over to the balloon, and opened the door to present its passenger. A stallion in his 30's, with dark grey fur, with a mane of faded blue colors slicked backwards. The lower half was tied into a ponytail, and left to hang on his shoulder. Barely visible signs of scarring could be seen on his face, and his neck, along with the cracks that covered his horn. He wore a refined red suit, trimmed with gold lining, with a silk cloak draped behind him. And at the front he had a sash held by a small emerald. Standing upon the railing, the crowd below at last saw for the first time, the Stallion of mystery who had grown in mystery, and intrigue. But now he was here for all to see, bearing a charming smile, and a gleam in his eye.

This was The Count of Monte Cristo.

"Greetings."

Author's Note:

Hello, and welcome to the second act of "My Little Pony's The Count of Monte Cristo".

I know, i know. Even i have to admit it's been a long time since I uploaded a chapter of this story. But there's a good reason for that. And it involves coming to figure out who I should introduce next in the story as certain characters. In the first case, it's Shining/Edmond's other servant, Bertuccio, and his adoptive son, Benedetto.

All of those who are aware of the original story undoubtedly know who these two are. And if you don't, then I won't spoil anything for you. But let's just say Benedetto is a crucial character in dealing comeuppance to one of the infernal conspirators. Who that is, you'll find out in time. But let's just say it's a contribution as to why i had him played by a teenage Rumble. My reasons will be made clear in time. You'll see.:) And of course, we can't exactly have Rumble without his brother. So he gets to share the role of Bertuccio with his surrogate father, and OC character, Striking Sword.

Originally, Striking Sword was an OC character made by @Gojira012 to be Shining Armor's rival regarding Cadence. But I felt like doing something ironic with him to contradict his mopey, dickish character (no offense, goji). So I put him in the role of The Count's faithful servant, Bertuccio, who works alongside Jacapo, who was present in the movie, but absent in the book - I think. And he's friends with Trixie in Gojira012's fan stories, so I felt she'd make an excellent inclusion.

Either way, the chapter's nothing too straight forward: just Shining taking care of a few loose ends, like helping his old friend Morrel. Some further recruitment for his cause, which is still underway, I might add. But in the end, it culminates in him making a very GRAND entrance for all of the world to see. Phase one of his plan now complete. Thus it's time to move on.

However, in the next chapter, he's about to learn a terrible, agonizing truth. One which will put an end to any notions of hope he once held - and perhaps end the love in his heart he once had. All it will do is ignite the flames of anger, and hate in his heart, and bring forth an undesired "ally", who has been lurking in the shadows ever since the times of the Chateau D'if. And now wishes to help Shining/The Count to gain his revenge on his enemies.

And by all the powers that be, he will carry Hell to their Doorstep.