• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 7,208 Views, 670 Comments

Out of the Old, Into the New - SentientHydra



Follow the spaceship 'New Dawn' as its crew explores a new universe.

  • ...
40
 670
 7,208

*edited* Chapter 12: The Subtle Art

Dawn had arrived.

An amethyst eye watched the sky, travelling from star-speckled pole to the cloud streaked horizon. Powerful lungs breathed out an ancient sigh of release, for the god of the sun the dawn was a time of calm.

Celestia stood on her balcony, her face calm and content as the cool breeze ruffled her feathers and twitched her fur. The expansive white wings stretched out and up, catching the air and billowing out. With a contented sigh the great sun goddess stepped forward onto open air, dropping down with wings tucked to her sides.

A guard reared up in shock when his ruler pulled out of her power-dive mere inches from the end of his muzzle, the alicorn winked to him and his companion guard before beating her wings and disappearing in a swirl of dust. Celestia climbed up and away, then swooping towards the throne room for the sun-raising ceremony.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Dawn Sensor Bridge

Private Karen Mackenze watched the planet below through electronic eyes, the lenses of the hull cameras painting the verdant planet below in a dappled glow of red and white. The engineer leaned on her cybernetic arm, the meat and blood companion on her other side typing her observations into a holographic keyboard.

“You look excited” Another engineer droned sarcastically as her walked over, a corporal's red pip shining brightly atop his peaked cap “Usually you're so very bright-eyed this early in the cycle.” the officer walked over and stood behind the private, hands clasped behind him and a smirk on his face.

Makenze sighed, pushing herself up from the desk and turning her head to face the Corporal, a glow from her artificial eyes giving the officer's smiling face a green tint. “Very funny sir. ” The corporal did nothing but snicker, prompting the private to turn back to her screen, tracing the fluctuating pulses of energy with her metal finger whilst her organic digits went back to dancing on the keyboard, her placid expression marred by annoyance.

The officer came up alongside the irritated cyborg and spoke in an apologetic tone, his own arm curling round her waist “Oh come on Karen, I didn't mean anything by it. I really want to know what's making you down” the annoyed expression faltered for but a moment before returning, the private lightly slapping the corporal's hand and growling

“If you really want to know sir, it might be an idiotic corporal who won't take a hint” but a creeping smile took all the anger from her voice and turned her frown into a smirk.

The corporal bopped Karen's nose with a finger “Could be. Isn't.” He pulled her closer, taking his own look at the screen “now come on grumpy, where's the problem? Looks fine to me”

Karen sighed “That's exactly the problem Giles. From what I've seen, this planet is bathed 24/7 in this 'psychic' energy field, and so far it's done nothing anomalous besides that”

Corporal Ben Giles raised his eyebrow “That's a problem?”

Makenze looked about to slap Giles “Yes” she swept a hand across the screen, zooming in on one particular region “It is, I'm supposed to be looking for this sister of our guest right? Well I can't, either she doesn't exist, or she's just not using her powers, because there's nothing to see.

Giles looked a little closer at the screen, nodding.

“With 'Luna' it was easy, that b***h was using her abilities so much it was hard not to see her, she was a damn beacon.” Makenze growled “But this Celestia is really playing hard to get, I've spotted one or two spikes that might be her, but apart from that nothing worth mentioning, certainly nothing high enough on the scale to be this 'god' we're supposed to be finding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canterlot Court

Celestia stood before the crowd, smiling as she always did. With a flourish towards the sky, she ignited her horn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makenze stood away from the console, her back turned to the screen “It's just so irritating” she half-growled, half sighed.

Then Giles tapped the screen “Spike”

The private was over there in the blink of an eye “What? Where?”

The corporal smiled at her “Right there, one big spike. Still growing”

On the screen of dancing black and blue, a ball was growing, passing red and then yellow, distorting the whole pattern around it with it's immensity..

Makenze swore, a smile and a frown fighting on her face “Holy Titan...” the frown won “I think we've found our Princess” she stood and went to the comm.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White wings beat slowly at the air as the horn's corona grew, Celestia closing her eyes and losing herself to the power that flowed in, out and through her snowy frame. Her wings didn't need to move as she rose into the air, the dawning sun shining bright behind the alicorn.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morgan's eyes grew from controlled to worried as the Computer read out times, calculating how long their shields would last against the 'sister', the time getting shorter as the ball of psychic energy grew in intensity.

Then there came the surge, a brilliant pulse of energy screaming out into the space towards the distant moon. Alarms sprang up all over the Dawn as the ship was put into a desperate evasive maneuver the crew on sensor deck watching in mystified awe as another energy wave spread all around the planet.

And then it was over.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celestia smiled as she came down, tucking her great wings to her sides and watching the assembled crowd, her eyes twinkled slightly as she spoke “Another night gone, the sun shines anew, dawn is here, let the day court begin. ” she seated herself upon the throne while the first petitioner stepped forward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morgan stood in silence as the energy pulse faded from the view-screen. The power shown had rendered the scale previously set by Luna obsolete, their shields wouldn't last a nano second under an assault of that magnitude.

All eyes snapped to the console while a metallic voice came up in a chuckle, a brief trickle of monotonous amusement, for the CEO this brief spurt of laughter was like a marching band of emotion.

When the Chief eventually petered out, the Captain coughed to gain some attention “Care to share the joke Li?”

Li giggled in robotic fashion before answering “Of course sir, sorry. It is merely amusing, this 'god' did nothing with all that power”

The CMO spoke up from her seat “Sure seemed like something.”

The CEO nodded “It looked that way, but nothing has happened.” he brought up his own holo-screen to show off the data “Sol has not moved a single metre out of place, the planet remains as it was, the moon is orbiting as usual. If that is the full extent of this Celestia's powers she could have swatted the 'Dawn' from the sky with no effort at all, flung us into deep-space or the heart of the sun. With that much force she could have thrown a mountain into orbit, snapped this ship in half and dragged her sister to safety in under an hour. All that brawn but no will to use it, the situation is hilarious.”

The captain nodded, smiling a little “Perhaps it is a little funny." he turned his gaze to the windows and beyond to the world turning below “I thinks it's time to practice the subtle art. Li, have a firing solution yet?”

The CEO nodded again “trajectory plotted, window to fire in twenty minutes”

“Good, I'll head up to my suite and get ready, wait for my signal, and comm the Bulk-lifters, they are not to drop and buzz the capital until my mark.”

Salutes were passed around, and Morgan headed off.

------------------------------------------------------

*A note on USC Gunnery*

The standard multi-purpose heavy gun equipped on all USC vessels above frigate weight is the Mark XV 'Maus' High velocity rail-gun, a long barreled, anti-ship/ground support gun, capable of accelerating a metric ton of 'bullet' at high-hypersonic speeds through the void.

The standard ammunition used by the 'maus' is the so named 'black arrow', a long projectile that more resembles a missile than a bullet -including control fins and thrusters in addition to the interchangeable warhead- the arrow is capable of being controlled while in-flight. Skilled operators can perform complex maneuvers to confuse point-defense turrets and hit in unprotected locations.

One infamous incident from the Martian rebellions had a flight of arrows (launched from the battle-ship 'Gaian Fist' in high orbit) being steered in a complete 270 degree arc through the martian upper atmosphere before slamming into the underside of the rebelling dock-yards, destroying their grav-engines to send the entire structure, 3 docked cruisers and all 2.7 million inhabitants tumbling out of orbit.

Such was the gun aimed towards the equestrian capital

--------------------------------------------------------


Everfree Forest

“Move it Shy. I didn't get up at dawn for nothing” Rainbow grunted, shunting her reluctant friend towards the fence, the other pegasus resisted with all her might, digging up a furrow in the loam as her rump was shoved along.

“I don't want to.. what if they get angry at me?” Fluttershy whimpered softly, trying to dig her hooves in further “What if they shoot at me?”

Rainbow growled throatily as she pushed, muscles straining “Oh come on, they won't shoot at you if you don't cross the fence, we just need to get one of the alien's attention and make them come over. Twilight said that these things look like monkeys standing upright, you like monkeys right?”

The yellow pegasus lost her grip on the soil as she turned to smile at the cyan “Of course I like monkeys Rainbow, they're so funny and furry and cute” but the smile was lost when Fluttershy realised she was almost to the fence, the meek pegasus found a hidden reserve of strength, clamped her hind-quarters down atop her friend's head whiler her voice cried shrilly “But these aren't monkeys! They're bigger and scarier and they don't have tails!”

The speedster scrambled to extract her head, pushing with her fore-hooves and pulling back with her hind limbs and wings. Eventually the spectral mane and blue ears emerged with the wet schlick of damp mud, Rainbow Dash recoiled back before hacking up a clod of earth, grass and wet leaves. She was still spitting out tiny grains of dirt as she complained angrily “And? I've seen you talk to manticores and dragons before!” The blue pony glared at Fluttershy, who crossed her hooves and made ready to be difficult again.

“I-i know, but it's different” Fluttershy stammered “dragons are still scary, I only talked to it because it was being naughty, and that manticore was just a big softy really. I don't want to talk to the aliens, they shot Pinkie.” she set her hooves firmly into the soft ground as Rainbow tried to shunt her the last dozen yards.

Past her grunts of exertion Rainbow Dash spoke with muffled annoyance, the brunt of her forehead jammed into the small of her friend's back “I. Don't blame them. Pinkie can be annoying... sometimes...” The athletic pegasus set her shoulder to the task, freeing up her mouth to say “But it doesn't matter Shy. We need to get the crusaders back, no matter what else.”

Fluttershy's face fell slightly, her ears drooping a little. With a jolt she stood up and walked forward a step, ignoring Rainbow's yelp of shock as the blue speedster pitched forward and got another mouthful of damp soil “I guess you're right. We can't leave the fillies in there” she turned back to where her cyan companion was cleaning off her tongue “But why me?"

Rainbow finished cleaning out her mouth and stood up, spitting a blade of grass into the ground before sighing "Because you're mumble mumble mumble..." her voice trailed off into nothing, the speedster kicking at the loam with her front hoof and avoiding Fluttershy's eye.

Fluttershy quirked her head "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you Rainbow. Could you say that again?"

"Mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble mumble... Mumble" a cyan hoof dug at the soil, eyes up at the sky.

Fluttershy smiled a little, flapping over to her friend's side and wrapping a wing around the other mare's barrel in comfort "It's okay. If you don't want to say something, you don't have to" she nuzzled Dash's neck affectionately "We'll go get those fillies"

Rainbow bit her lip and adopted a scowl before blurting "I said 'Because you're better than me!" She cringed with the outburst, looking into Fluttershy's confused eyes "I mean you're better at this whole talking thing. I just screw it up and end up kicking someone. With Twilight and Applejack heading back to Ponyville to let everyone know where the fillies are and Rarity looking after Pinkie with Spike I thought... I thought it might be better if you go and talk to them alone."

Fluttershy nearly recoiled, but fought through it and merely shivered "A-alone?" she stammered

Rainbow waved a hoof to placate her fellow pegasus "Not like alone alone, I'll still be right here, but it might be better if only you speak to these things. You're at least twenty percent better than me at the whole 'diplomacy' thing"

The pink mane flowed down to cover her eyes for a moment, but after a moment the blue eyes emerged, filled with new light and determination. "I'll do it"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mountainside

"Perimeter breach" The private droned, staring down his rifle scope.

The corporal swivelled round, his own gun following "Hmm, where?"

Once again the private guided the corporal in, to where a winged 'horse' flew just above the perimeter fence "Right there sir, another one of the horse-things"

The officer grunted "Not exactly a perimeter breach private, it's on the fence." the marine started to look away, but came back when the private exclaimed

"what is she doing?" he shifted forward on the ledge to get a better view.

The officer began to answer, paused and then snapped "Wait.. 'she'? Were you staring at it's arse again?"

The private's rifle barrel moved up slightly "No sir... It just looks like a girl, pink hair and all" he moved his rifle again and spoke before the officer could interrupt "Anyway sir, I think she's trying to get an engineer's attention, failing miserably at it to boot"

Below the pair, the winged creature flitted in the air above the fence, calling out to the busy engineers and waving her forelimbs. None of the suited men and women working below even glanced up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rainbow Dash watched with increasing frustration plain on her face as her nervous friend flew back and forth, waving at passing aliens and calling "Um hello... I'm sorry but could you... If you don't mind please...." her voice losing strength as the suited creatures continued in their work without pause.

Eventually the future wonderbolt could take it no more, with a thump of powerful wings the cyan speedster swooped up to join Fluttershy, scooping up a clod of dirt as she went. Bracing herself on a fencepost she wound back her hoof and yelled "HEY" at the top of her lungs before sending the muddy projectile on it's way.

The lump of brown earth flew fast and true across the now silent clearing, falling down to smack a heavily armoured creature on the visor, splattering the entire helmet in damp loam.

In the hushed silence that followed, as the mud-lump slowly dripped down off the alien's face Rainbow Dash pushed Fluttershy forward, hissing "There, I got it's attention, go and talk"

The yellow pegasus was too terror-stricken to do much other than squeak and obey, flying ever so slowly over towards the creature, who now wiped away some of the dirt from it's vision, staring at it's claws and the filth that covered them. Her nervous demeanor was not helped by the way all the other creatures were slowly backing away from the armoured one, as if it were about to explode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up on the moutainside the Private carefully suppressed a snicker "Perimeter breached sir, permission to fire?"

The corporal patted his fellow's shoulder "Permission denied. That thing's friend just hocked a dirt-ball at Sergeant 'rage-machine' Madox, I want to see how many limbs the thing has left by the end, I bet three."

The private made a grunt and zoomed in with his scope "That's Madox?! I thought she was a lieutenant?"

The officer made his own snicker "She was, that cow's always getting promoted, her and the big dog's 'little dove' go way back. But she's too much of a nutjob to ever keep the position, always breaking regulations and getting into yelling matches with people. I hear she once got demoted all the way down to private after she had a violent row with the fucking CSO himself."

The private paused a moment to reflect "She sounds nice..."


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluttershy was cowering even before the creature looked up at her, but when that red visor tilted up to gaze at her the pegasus quivered and managed to squeak "H-hello" before her trembling wings locked up, sending her to the ground with a heavy thump.

The creature looked slowly between it's muddy gauntlet and the petrified Fluttershy twice, silent as if in thought.

Then a feminine voice sounded out from speakers on the helmet (as the mud dripped away, a white dot could be seen on the top), made sharp and taut by restrained anger, made slow by the unfamiliar language it spoke "Can you understand me?" the equestrian was stumbled and badly accented, but understandable

Fluttershy nodded mutely, her eyes misting slightly and her cower more pronounced as the armoured creature moved, bending down with metal claw outstretched. The yellow pegasus whimpered as she was gripped by the neck and lifted up into the air, but didn't resist. The alien repeated it's question louder with a punctuating shake, the anger less restrained and the voice demanding.

"Y-yes" Fluttershy stammered out quickly, cringing away.

The alien's voice grew calmer again, the fury back on it's hair-trigger "Good..." It's free gauntlet came up and held it's muddy fingers in-front of it's captive's eyes "Tell me, why throw mud?"

Fluttershy answered quickly, her voice thick with fear "N-no, that wasn't me! It was Rainbow Dash." When silence met her answer she continued slower "she did it to get your attention."

The alien leaned in slightly "you have it..."

Fluttershy nodded, breathing deeply to calm herself before responding "O-okay... My name's Fluttershy. I was hoping that we could have our friends back" she tried a little smile "...please?"

The alien queried "Friends?" it followed Fluttershy's glance over to the still sleeping fillies and the zebra. When it looked back, a grunt emanated from the speakers "Oh, those."

Fluttershy made another squeak when she was suddenly dropped, the alien gazing to the sleeping three with a gauntlet tapping it's helmet's bottom as if in thought. The pegasus recovered and spoke up, a little confidence returning to her voice. "Yes, um... we're very sorry if they caused any trouble, but they're just fillies and I'm sure they didn't mean it..." her following sentence died away under the alien's returning gaze, but further silence prompted her on "And I'm sure Zecora's sorry too, so me and my friends would really like them back, if it's not too much trouble."

The alien considered this carefully before saying "Hmm... I am still top active security for base, I could release them all. So long as-"

"What is this?" a mechanical voice echoed out in fast standard as an alien in a yellow jumpsuit (a white pip on the helmet marking it out) marching over, flanked by two others.

The armoured creature growled low in standard "Oh great, it's newly promoted sergeant stick-up-his-ass"

Fluttershy cowered a little as the yellow alien stood forward and demanded while pointing at her "I ask again, Sergeant Madeleine, what is that thing doing on the base. You're security, that's a perimeter breach, get rid of it"

'Madeleine' made a heavy step forward, putting itself between the yellow pegasus and the yellow alien "It's name is Fluttershy. Just a concerned local asking for it's kids back."

"I don't care what it's called or what it is here to do. It is a contamination risk and a trespasser, If it wants the prisoners released then it will have to follow proper channels, after the captain has opened diplomatic relations." the yellow suited alien replied, making a move to step around Madeleine. "If you won't do your job, I will"

The armoured bulk of Madeleine moved again to block, anger growling from the speakers "Oh that's a load of crap and you know it. I'm still the ranking security officer here, I have the authority to release any captives, so long as I decide they aren't a security risk" The cowering Fluttershy was indicated "Does that look like a risk to you?"

The yellow suit stepped back, the voice now smug " you do have that authority, unless your decision is questioned by another officer of equal or higher rank. At which point the CSO is to be contacted, so he can verify your judgement"

Madeleine barked, fury sparking "Don't you dare try t-" she was interrupted midshout by a thunderous BANG

All eyes turned to the sky as a light streaked down from the sky

Madeleine uttered in disbelief "I'd recognize that trail anywhere. A black arrow..."

Her words were lost when the light came down on the distant castle. Moments later another, smaller clap of thunder rolled over the group.

The yellow suit breathed "Where's the boom? where's the smoke-cloud?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canterlot castle

The court was in silence, every occupant was held in a position of shock as dust filled the room.

Eventually the clouds of stinging dust cleared to reveal a long black cylinder, rammed deep into the stone of the courtroom, still smoking slightly. The white-hot metal cooled off with a gentle *ping* and crackle.

After a moment, Shining armour approached the giant tube, horn flared with a shield spell ready "I think there's lettering on the side. It says..." he peered closely as the paint became visible, crude white lettering spelling out ",,,'The subtle art of diplomacy'?" in just legible Equestrian.

Celestia coughed out a little dust and put her smile back in place "Well at least now we know what their idea of 'subtle' is." she chuckled, eyeing the device as it began to shift and change, the shell cracking open and panelling falling away to reveal...

An alien, standing bold as brass atop a white panel.

Even as the room gasped in shock, the alien looked around and began to speak in perfect equestrian.

"Good morning, can I presume that I speak to Princess Celestia?" It addressed the alicorn directly with hands clasped behind his back and eyes locked on the alicorn's, after the still smiling god nodded the alien continued on.
"My name is Captain C.T. Morgan, of the USC cruiser 'New Dawn'"

Celestia half flared her wings, meeting Morgan's old eyes with her own, the benevolent gaze never faltering or wavering. "Greetings Captain, how lovely of you to drop in. Though I might prefer you make an appointment next time."

The captain did not smile, but he didn't frown "I would have, but I felt that we urgently needed to chat. I do apologize for the roof" he glanced up, to where the sunlight was filtering in through the still smoking hole.

Celestia laughed lightly, tinkling bells on the wind "Don't worry Captain, I've always rather wanted a skylight there." She stretched her wings out to full size before tucking them neatly to her sides. "Allow me a moment with my court before our chat, if you would."

Morgan nodded "But of course, I'll be back" he turned to the left and spoke to the empty air, in a language most alien "Cut the feed, reconnect in five. Get the Chiefs on the horn, I want their thou-" the alien captain vanished, flickering out of existence.

Silence lasted but a moment before the room exploded into noise, the petitioners talking among themselves and either trying to make themselves heard to Celestia or touch the alien device

Celestia stepped forward off her throne, smiling easily at Shining Armour, who was trying to bore twin holes in the air where the alien stood with his stare

The alicorn spoke, not loudly but with all the weight of her authority, power and age "Captain Armour." For a moment, no other sound existed but Celestia's voice, her soft, deceptively quiet tone cutting through all other noise as a knife could go through butter.

Shining Armour turned around and snapped to attention in one smooth movement "Princess?"

The princess kept her smile and ordered calmly "The throne room is to be cleared, I will speak with Captain Morgan alone, no guards." She paused to let her captain speak

"No guards? But what if he..." the stallion's voice died away, fading under the gentle gaze of his ruler, her eyes -a single eyebrow cocked- stealing away the argument in his own with soft power and understanding, her smile eroding his will to fight her command. "O-of course princess." He finally nodded, resigned, before turning to begin clearing the now silent room.

Celestia warmed her smile and lowered the errant brow "Thank you Captain, do try to remember our little talk."