• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 7,209 Views, 670 Comments

Out of the Old, Into the New - SentientHydra



Follow the spaceship 'New Dawn' as its crew explores a new universe.

  • ...
40
 670
 7,209

Chapter 11: Spin on

Everfree Forest – Mountain plateau

“I think the pink one's seen me” The marine commented, peering down his scope, towards the edge of the plateau where the woods began.

His partner snapped his head round and brought their own rifle up “What? Where?”

The first marine guided the second's barrel to point down the mountainside they perched on, to the spot his own aimed at “One of those things at the edge of the clearing”

“Oh.. Wait a minute, how can you tell it's pink?” The second Marine asked incredulously.

The first turned away from his scope “Huh?”

“It's night, we're wearing heat-vision goggles. How can you tell what colour this thing is?” The questioning marine asked, still disbelieving.

Marine number one went back to the scope “I dunno Corporal. It just looks... Pink” His partner seemed about to make a point before number one spoke again quickly “It's not important anyway. I think it's seen me, that pi-poofy haired one in the middle, by the the horn-head with curtains. It keeps pointing up here and looking right at us.”

The corporal snorted “Pink.” quietly as he settle down to look himself, finding the target and then muttering “It does look kinda pink.” Before starting up in normal tones. “Even if it could see us private, why would it be looking? There's a lot more activity down there”

They both looked down to the plateau below, where two dozen engineers were working hard to prepare the landing strip, clearing the sparse trees with power-saws and diggers, flattening the ground with gravity rollers and laying down a rock-foam base for the tarmac. A few other engineers were all working to erect tents and simple structures to store the tools and tide the crew over, until the heavy machinery was brought down from orbit, to begin digging out a base.

The private shrugged. Putting an eye back to his scope and focusing in on the 'pink' blob at the edge of their perimeter, who had pulled out a pair of what resemble binoculars, poking her curtain-haired friend and saying...


“I think it's seen me!” Pinkie exclaimed, poking Twilght in the side repeatedly and babbling “I kept pointing and pointing, and then it looked right at me with that shiny stick. I wonder if it wants to say hi? I'll go ask.” She sprang forward, only to be cut short and dragged back by her poofy tail, a glowing aura around it.

“Hold up Pinkie, I don't think that's such a good idea” Twilight said, not turning her head away from watching the strange aliens at work “they put up a fence for a reason.” The unicorn pointed a hoof at the 'fence', a long line of two metre tall metal posts, topped with lights and with luminescent yellow cable connecting them.

Pinkie made a sad pout, which failed thanks to her constantly recurring smile “Aww. But what if that mountain-climber guy wants to say hi? It looks cold up there, he must need a hug” she made to get away...



Only to bump straight into a steadfast Applejack, who pinned the pink pony much more firmly “not a chance sugarcube. Twilight's right, them creatures have staked out their patch, they might not take too kindly to us trespassing.”

All three mares turned their head at an annoyed snort from one corner, where a cyan pegasus leaned up against a tree. “So what if we trespass, What're they gonna do, throw those shiny sticks at us? We can't just leave Scootaloo in there, or Sweetie Belle or Applebloom, those freaky things could do anything to 'em.”

Applejack took the binoculars from Pinkie and held them up, gazing out across the clearing “Ah don't like leaving those fillies there either. But they look okay”

Out across the long plateau, three tiny forms slept peacefully inside their enclosure, a simple four metre by four metre square of wire fencing. A single armoured alien stood watch, standing tall as he had been for the past hour with a weird weapon clutched in its claws. They knew it was a weapon by the way the alien held it, occasionally sighting along the thing much like a guard would with his crossbow.

Applejack took her eyes from the binoculars “'sides, Zecora's with them, they'll be fine until the morning.”

The mention of the zebra drew another snort from Rainbow Dash “Oh yeah, Zecora's done so much to protect them so far.” the speedster pointed into the clearing, towards a lone boulder where the striped mare was held; the healer was slumped from her restraints, having been knocked out and taken away from the filly's enclosure after assaulting the guard.

Twilight scratched her head “Well I'm sure Zecora meant for the best. She was just a bit...”

Pinkie supplied “Crazy? Bonkers? Screw-loose? Round the Be-” before an orange hoof firmly plugged the babbling pink mouth, to let Twilight finish.

“...Angry, I was going to say. I think she might have a teensy problem with these alien's appearance, if the curses she kept yelling in zebrican were any indication.“

Applejack nodded “Whatever these things are, ah hope they're reasonable. Ah expect Applebloom and her little friends were doing something silly some-place they shouldn't be” she smiled “A little time-out won't do no harm. Eh Pin- Pinkie?!” The cowpony looked down in shock at where the pink party pony was pinned previously, promptly finding that Pinkie Pie had been replaced with a small sack of flour.

All five ponies looked around, finding Pinkie poised atop a fence post, balanced perfectly upside-down on one hoof. The candy-mane mare made a mocking face back towards her friends, giggling “You almost had me there AJ, I'm just lucky Madame LeFlour was ready to be my decoy tonight, or I might have been stuck.”

Twilight spoke warningly, flaring her horn for a spell “Pinkie... Get off that fence.”

Pinkie tried her pout again, immediately ruining it with a cheery voice “Aw, you're no fun Twilight.” then she shrugged “Okay” The other mare's sighs of relief began as Pinkie hopped off the fence, but were cut short when they all noticed that the pink mare had come down on the wrong side.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Perimeter breach sir” the Private dead-panned, charging up the gauss rails on his rifle.

The Corporal nodded “Soft rounds, two warnings. Then proceed to disable. Fire one”

The private affirmed, aimed and fired.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Five mares recoiled in shock and Twilight snapped “Pinkie! I meant get down on this side of the fence!”

Pinkie giggled, blowing a cheeky raspberry “You never said that. You just said 'get off'” She stopped and gasped “Twitchy twitch!”

All six ponies and one dragon hit the deck as a bull-whip crack rent the air, a split-second before a clup of earth near Pinkie's hoof warn torn up with a soft thump.

The Party mare bent down to examine the object in its tiny crater “Oooh, a present!” Picking the hot dart up carefully, she examined the tiny ceramic cylinder, wound round with a metal thread .
Her smile dropped a little when she put a hoof near the front of the dart, a conical front springing open like flower petals to reveal the hypodermic needle concealed within “Oh.. Uhh” she cringed a tiny bit when a bit of gel dripped from the hollow point “I'm not that sort of party pony.”

Pinkie dropped the dart “Thanks but no thanks” she peered up at the distant glint on the mountain side with a smile “Okay?”


“it isn't leaving sir”

“Fire two”


There was another whip crack, Pinkie didn't flinch as the dart whistled past her hoof, sinking into the dirt just behind it. Her eyes flamed “Hey, I said no!” she kicked the dart away “Users are Losers!”

Applejack spoke low, still cowering slightly “Pinky, fer hay's sake, git off their land!”

Twilight watched the mountainside “I think those are a bit more than sticks”

All across the clearing, more and more of the creatures were slowing in their tasks, turning to stare at the intruding Pinkie, their faces hidden behind the reflective visors of their suits.

Pinkie stood firm “No, I'm not leaving if they want to be rude.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Corporal watched through his own scope “That's it, take the thing down.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pinkie waited a moment, then nodded “that's better” she almost turned to leave, but then another whip lashed the air and she dodged back, her smile faltering for a split second.

Time slowed down for the party pony as the dart passed by, had she not dodged, it would be lodged into her neck.
As the spinning ceramic cone approached her skin it sprang open to reveal the needle, but Pinkie pulled herself out of it's path and the edge of the dart's 'flower' just clipped her, sending it spinning out of control, the tip of the needle glinting in the moonlight while it went past. She held the pose “Want to play tag huh?” Her smile was a little grim, but her voice was chirpy.


Up on the mountain, the private swore softly “Quick little bugger. Firing”

The air was broken again and again by crack of the bull-whip, the darts flying in quick succession as Pinkie ducked, span, flipped & slipped around, over or under them. Sixteen darts later and she was barely breathing heavy, but the darts were getting closer and closer, it was clearly getting harder for pinkie to maintain her poise and her smile as the seventeenth grazed her shoulder. “This isn't fun any more” she bent over backwards to avoid an eighteenth, the needle almost hitting her nose.

Pinkie rolled onto her fore-hooves and made a sudden run for it, hooves dancing to avoid the onslaught. The whips crackled like popcorn as more snipers up the mountainside joined in.

The six friends couldn't help but cheer the pink pony on as the baker made the final few steps and leapt up, somersaulting thrice before landing lightly on the fencepost, two back-hooves sticking the landing.

Spike held up a scorecard with 9.8 written on it in big bold letters, while the others clapped appreciatively.

Pinkie was indignant “9.8!? that was at least a perfect teeee...” she faded away, then slumped forward, almost faceplanting into the dirt before Twilight caught her with a magical aura.

Spike twanged the dart sticking out of Pinkie's flank with a claw “9.8, totally a 9.8” he yawned, putting the placard down and heading for the tent the group had set up, just a few metres away.


Up on the mountainside

The private snickered “Nice dancing with you miss” watching the pink thing float away with it's friends

The corporal raised an eyebrow. “'How'd you know it's a girl?”

The private looked up to the corporal and shrugged “Believe me sir, I got a good enough view to know.”


------------------------------------------------------------


Aboard the New Dawn

“I am not entirely sure why this is necessary Captain” Li stated mechanically, his voice somehow carrying light annoyance despite the robotic monotone. The engineer didn't stop working however, his hands moving with inhuman speed over the holographic terminal.

Morgan tapped away at his own, around the two men the deck was a hive of activity “Well our guest has told us that she has an older sister, that sister is probably more powerful accordingly, I'd like to assume that you've been tinkering with the shields?”

The CEO nodded, still working "Yes sir, based on the figures the CMO was able to extrapolate, our shielding should be able to withstand a sustained attack from the 'Princess Luna' for 15.46666665 seconds at her maximum power output. You still have not explained why I am away from my station, should I not continue 'tinkering' as you put it, to increase our defenses?"

The captain shook his head "No, your engineers can handle the shield systems from here on, I need you down here because you're the best at aiming. I'm pretty sure we'll only get one shot at this, so I want it on target.

Li grunted, finishing without flourish and said in monotonic fashion "Very well Captain, I will stay on this deck, but if anything goes wrong, do not lay the blame on me."

Morgan laughed "CEO, when dawn touches that castle, three bulk lifters are going to buzz the capital city of an extremely powerful alien race at mach two, mere hours after capturing one of its rulers. If this package isn't delivered on target, then I am pretty damn sure that laying the blame will be the absolute last of our problems."

Outside the window, the bulk lifters -gigantic shuttles with four VTOL engines on each of their four wings, they were capable of ferrying vast amounts of material from the ground to orbit and back, flying through the worst conditions from the acid clouds on Venus to the giant storms of in the upper atmosphere of Jupiter, so long as there was a capable landing strip there to meet them- drifted through the void, thrusters firing in sequence to carry them away from the main ship, gravity gradually taking them down towards the planet below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Dawn was approaching. it had been a tiring night, but the world span on.

Deep in forest, seven friends slept uneasy, their thoughts clouded with doubt.

Meters away three fillies slept silent, while around them the sounds of industry filled the air.

In Canterlot's Castle a princess slept not a wink, her eyes on the sky outside, and the silver glimmer it held.

High above the atmosphere, another princess slept with eyes still filled with tears.

Around the black alicorn a crew of thousands slept, ate and worked. The buzz of organisation clearing their minds.

Miles above the planet, three giant craft began their descent.

The Dawn was approaching, and on it's break the world would change. For better or worse, the world would spin on.