• Published 31st Mar 2018
  • 1,035 Views, 41 Comments

A New Starting Point - Lunar Flarion



A stallion finds himself in a new universe, which is far better than his own.

  • ...
4
 41
 1,035

Chapter 12: A Soldiers Confession

Waking up was easy this morning for Tattered Moon. His day off had just begun, but the question bothering was how he was going to spend it. Normally it would be with family, but they were gone on vacation. He didn’t want to bother Flare, one of his only friends outside of the military, to join him, fearing he might be busy. So the only remaining options were to walk around the southern garden of the castle or go into town and wander a bit looking for something else to do.

He settled on the garden first, thinking if there was ever an emergency, he was close by to help. He smiled to himself as he got out of bed, and started combing his mane and brush his teeth.

‘Today is going to be a slow day,’ Tattered admitted to himself, knowing full well that his life was more for the military than like this. But, he wouldn’t complain, Captain Midnight had ordered him to take a day off, and it was true that he was working himself down to the bone. He never had much to do anyway, and most of the time when he did have a break, he just walked up and down the garden, looking at interesting plants that weren’t in his mother’s shop.

Exiting the room, he made his way to the garden. While he made his trip, he began to think about Captian Midnight, and how much she looked like she wanted him to go on vacation, like she was planning something. Then, his thoughts shifted to when the two were together working out details of where the troops were going to be. He had to admit, he sometimes took his eyes off the map and glanced at Midnight when he thought she wasn’t looking.

He sighed, he wanted to tell her how he felt, but the fear of losing her trust, and his job, forced him to keep his muzzle shut. He was so close to retirement too, just one year away and he’d be able to settle down in his own house.

Bumping into a statue made Tattered join reality once more. The statue in question was one of three serpent-like creatures, lost to time. Even though his training covered all threats and creatures, he never learned what these three things were. He could say definitely that they weren’t pretty. Shaking his head, he walked past the looming statue and the hedge maze. Legends told of the maze being made by a powerful princess who raised and lowered the sun. But, that was an old foals tale, nopony had that much magical ability to control celestial bodies. The maze, however, had a symbol behind it, it was to show the beauty and danger of chaos. The outside had pretty flowers blooming all over it, symbolizing that chaotic magic looks to be a good option, but the inside is dark and foreboding, the true meaning behind the chaotic magic and how it can corrupt its user into an endless toil of inescapable confusion.

Staring at the maze with a mile long stare, he continued to the main sector of the garden. Walking into it was like walking into pure beauty. Even though it was always nighttime, the moon lily’s looked alive and radiant. Every single time Tattered Moon looked at the flower, he was reminded of Midnight, during training examples, she moved with grace and looked so alive while doing it. Her body always seeming to have a soft glow after training, as if she was made of radiant material. Even on her armor, a Moon Lily was printed on her left breastplate.

He growled softly, shaking his head once more to clear his thoughts,’ Relax’ he order his mind and body. That is what he wanted to do, as he sat on a nearby bench. All he wanted to do, relax this one time and feel happy doing it. He tried to remember what Flare had said about relaxing, he tried desperately to find Flare’s words of expertise on how to relax. But, as fate would have it, he didn’t find the words of Flare to calm him down, not only that but he had gotten hungry. So, Tattered Moon grunted and hopped off the bench. His next destination was inside the castle to get something to eat.

Entering the castle and heading to the kitchen, Tattered Moon’s mind was still trying to find out how Flare relaxed so easily. As he found his way to the kitchen, his mind still pulled a blank.

When he entered the kitchen, he expected it to be more active, but right now, it was almost barren, except for one mare, who upon hearing the door open, looked over at him.

“Well, well, Tattered Moon, I expect you to be hungry if you entered this kitchen, No?” Lemon Zap asked, returning to the stirring she was doing.

“Yeah, sorry to barge in like this, but Captain Midnight doesn’t want me in the courtyard today, so I came in here to find breakfast,” Tattered replied, sniffing the air.

“Well, the freezer is filled with fresh meat,” Lemon Zap replied, pointing her spoon at the large chrome container.

Tattered Moon nodded and walked over to the fridge. Grabbing a small piece of squirrel meat, he began to suck the blood out of it. When he was done, he put his breakfast in a microwave and cooked it.

He left the kitchen after eating, bidding Zap good day and left to go to town.

Walking through the busy streets were something Tattered did rarely. He saw multiple cafes and shops opened, and once he reached the center of town, he saw a giant clock that read 12:37. Tattered Moon looked at the clock for a moment, realizing how much time had passed from his simple wander around most of the castle grounds.

He saw a nearby park named Rich’s Park and went there to try and relax. The park wasn’t as beautiful as the castle garden, but it had something the castle garden didn’t have, a lake for fishing. The lake appeared to be filled by a stream heading deep into the Razor Woods. Flowers of different species covered the ground, each one giving off a sweet smell.

Finding another bench to sit on Tattered Moon thought that staying silent and listening to the nocturnal birds hoot and chirp would calm him down. It worked surprisingly well, for 5 hours he sat with little thoughts in his mind, he even heard the stream’s current empty into the lake. Yet, thoughts about Midnight that bite and lashed at the back of his mind started to become more known.

‘How long have I held this secret?’ Tattered Moon thought, finally questioning himself,’ Will I ever tell her? Why am I thinking about this? Why has she finally taken over my thoughts?’

He got up, defeated by his minds insistence to answer the questions set forth. He thought of ponies he could tell this too, yet nopony came to mind, except one.

‘Flare will know what to do!’ Tattered Moon’s thought cried,’ Why haven’t I thought of him before!? All this time, I’m trying to relax in a physical way! I need to relax in a phycological way!’

With his new idea created, he speed-walked back to the castle, his mind whirling with ways he could tell Flare, he thought up of what Flare might ask as well, just to be prepared.

He passed by a tavern in which a mare stood outside. She saw the approaching stallion, she knew him well.

“He there Ta, how’s everything?” the mare called out as the stallion passed.

“Oh, hey Rose,” he said looking back at her,” I’m doing fine.”

“Well good!” she would reply, moving a hair strand that had covered her eye,”Hey, why don’t you come on in? It’s getting late.”

She was right, the moonlight started to dim as the street lamps turned on. But he shook his head,” I need to go back to the castle. But, thank you for the offer.”

Rose nodded and headed back inside, Tattered Moon now half galloping to the castle. Deadset on finding Flare.

Upon entering the castle, Tattered Moon had little difficulty finding his friend. He walked down the eastern hall and found the blue door. He took in a deep breath and knocked twice. A voice came from the other side.

“Come in,” The voice had said, and Tattered Moon opened the door. Opening the door an stepping in, he saw Flare laying down on his bed, reading a book. Flare looked up from it and smiled at Tattered Moon.

“Hey, bud, what brings you here?” Flare asked, putting a bookmark in his spot, closing the book, as Tattered Moon started talking.

“I wanted to talk with you, too, ya know, ease my mind?” Tattered replied, rubbing his left foreleg nervously. Flare simply nodded and closed the door with his magic. Pulling up a chair next to his bed.

“Alright, I can already tell that whatever you want to say is eating you from the inside out. So, what’s the problem?” Flare said calmly like this was a normal, everyday occurrence. Tattered Moon accepted the chair and sat down. He hesitated for a moment but, finally said what was on his mind,” Flare, I love Captain Midnight, but I’m afraid to tell her because I don’t want to lose my job and our friendship and-,”

Flare held up a hoof, causing him to stop mid-sentence. Flare sighed, for he had seen this before in the underground. Flare spoke calmly and clearly,” You love Midnight, but, you’re afraid that she’s going to reject you so hard that you’re going to get discharged. Is that right?”

Tattered Moon nodded.

Flare sighed, he knew calming Tattered down was going to be difficult, even if he confesses that he loves his superior in a romantic way. So, Flare would need to bring out the big guns.

“I have a way to calm your nerves, bud,” Flare said, stepping off of his bed.

“Really? How?” Tattered asked, an eyebrow raised.

“First, a question: Do you drink?” Flare replied.

At that instant, he knew what Flare was talking about, yet he didn’t take Flare for a drinker,”Alright, I know what you’re doing. Just... just don’t let me drink too much alright? I have duty in the morning,”

“Don’t worry, I won’t. And before you ask, no, I don’t drink,” Flare said.

Unbeknownst to them, a certain mare had been listening in on the conversation the whole time. Her right ear pressed against the door.

‘I wonder where they’ll be heading?’ the mare thought.

The sound of hoof steps broke her out of thought, with a burst of speed, she hid behind the largest object in the hallway.

She peered out from her hiding place, watching as Flare(now in disguise) and Tattered Moon walked to the entrance of the castle.

‘Can’t let them leave my sight,’ the mare thought, quickly activating her disguise and following, silently, after them.

As Flare and Tattered Moon left the castle, the mare following shortly after, they headed down the lonesome street. Each step the stallions took, the mare followed from the shadows of the night covering her form, yet she knew Flare had a sense that they might be followed. The two remained silent as they walked to the bar closest to the castle.

The mare saw the two walk in, she knew this bar. The owner was one of her friends after all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flare and Tattered Moon entered the bar. The inside had decorations, stuff like tiki masks, empty brew potions, and in the middle a fake cauldron, filled with water which housed multicolored fish. Tiki torches covered the wall, and the smell of a fresh brew of coffee hit their noses.

Stallions and mares weren’t frequent in this place at this time. This was good for Tattered Moon, who didn’t want more attention drawn to himself than he already had.

The two stallions reached the actual bar, a mare with a pink mane and orange coat stood behind the counter, looking rather bored with the little number of customers she had. But, when she saw Flare and Tattered Moon, her eyes lit up, recognizing the face of the stallion she had only met yesterday.

“Hey, Neutron Star, hey Moony!” the mare said, a smile on her face. Tattered Moon flinched when he was called that, only his mother, sister, and this particular bar mare knew it.

“Hey Prickly,” the two said in unison, both sitting down on the stools.

“Let me guess, a glass of water for you Neutron and some Applejack Cider for you Moony?” Prickly said, a smirk now replacing her smile.

“Yeah, but give me a small,” Tattered Moon said. Prickly nodded, looking at Flare to see what he would say.

“Nah, just give me some ketchup,” Flare said, his serious look on his face.

“Well, I just not gonna question that,” Prickly said, turning and leaving to fulfill their orders.

Flare and Tattered sat in silence for a moment, before Flare said,” Moony, huh?”

“Don’t get any ideas Flare,” Tattered Moon warned, seeing Flare’s rising grin.

“Alright, alright, Moony~,” Flare chuckled, Tattered Moon looked at him, annoyed, but he couldn’t help but have a small grin form on his muzzle.

It was around two minutes later and Prickly had given the two their orders, giving them a joke on the way out.

-------------------------------------------------

Now was the mares chance to get Tattered Moon, he was more relaxed, but she hated to break up the twos’ joking session and story time.

‘No!’ she thought,’ Now's my chance to get him!’

With her mind made up, she walked into the tavern, her head facing the ground as the door shut behind her. Her disguise hid what she was truly wearing, but the noise could be heard faintly if one was to listen close enough.

Nopony turned to look at the mare as she walked past and up to the bar.

She tapped Tattered Moon on his shoulder. Turning, his eyes widen at the mare he saw.

“Twilight Dusk, what are you doing here?” He asked, knowing full well who Twilight Dusk really was. She looked at him, her face showing no emotions.

“Listen, I need you to come with me. now,” her voice showing a hint of anger. He gulped but nodded.

She turned and walked to the entrance of the tavern, Tattered Moon close behind her. As the two exited the building, Flare simply looked at Tattered Moon’s half-finished cider. “Well, that just sorta happened to him, I mean I took no participation in that...”.

Prickly entered the through a door and saw Flare sitting alone, drinking his ketchup. Confused, she asked what happened, to which Flare told it in one word,” Midnight.” Prickly know understood, feeling sorry for the stallion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Midnight and Tattered Moon walked in silence on the way back to the castle. Midnight glancing back at him occasionally.

Not wanting any more awkward silence, she asked Tattered Moon the question that was on her mind,” So, is it true that you love me?”

At that moment, Midnight knew he flinched, a scared look on his face.

“M-ma’am I-,” he started, but Midnight cut him off.

“I’m not looking for excuses Lieutenant, I.Want.The.Truth.” she ordered, glancing once more back at him. He was now looking down and away from Midnight.

Finally, he answered,” Yes ma’am, i-it’s true.”

She looked straight ahead, the castle now right in front of them. She wouldn’t show the small smile on her face, for fear of giving away her tough act.

She walked into the castle, removing her disguise. Under the disguise was a full set of her armor, shiny and polished. Still, Tattered Moon looked away from her, his head no longer hanging low.

He followed her, never checking to see where she was going. He expected to be in the planning room, so they can discuss his ‘retirement’. All until they took a left, not a right. This happened again, and now Tattered Moon wondered where she was leading him. His mind whirling about the punishment he might receive from her.

When she stopped, he did as well. In front of them was a door, it had a Moon Lily painted on it, with the stem painted liked it held onto the door handle. Now he knew where he was standing. He was standing outside of Midnight’s room. A clicking noise caught his attention, his eyes followed the door as it creaked open and Midnight stepped inside.

Midnight looked back at him, beckoning for him to follow her into her room. A nervous bead of sweat ran down his head and onto the purple carpeted rug. He didn’t make a sound as he walked in, he held his breath, hoping that she will let him off quick and painless. But, what he didn’t know was that Midnight had other plans.

She closed the door and turned on the lights to her room. The room had black walls with a soft maroon carpet for the flooring. She had a wooden dresser, armor stand, and training dummy set side by side. In the dead center of the room laid a large, maroon, queen-sized bed.

Midnight could barely hold in her excitement about finally getting to tell Tattered Moon that he wasn’t alone, that she loved him as well. But, she wanted to do it in her own way. So she began to take her armor off beside him. For added effect, she whistled a tune to catch his attention while she took off her armor.

Upon hearing the whistle, Tattered Moon looked over at Midnight. Upon seeing her taking her armor off, he looked away, a mad blush painting his cheeks.

Midnight finished undoing her armor and put it on the armor stand and turned to the now blushing stallion. She sauntered over to him and put her hoof on his cheek. Slowly she moved his head to look at her, she had wanted to tell him this for 5 years.

Tattered Moon’s reaction was to stare dumbly into the ruby red irises of Midnight. He didn’t look anywhere else, until, he saw a small smile forming on her lips. She leaned in closer, her breath and his breath mixing together.

“Listen, Moony. I know you love me...,” She said softly, her eyes staring into his very soul.

‘Here it comes,’ Tattered Moon thought, but, he didn’t flinch, he was ready for what was coming. If Midnight called you by a nickname she didn’t make for you or your real name, you were doomed.

“And I wanted to speak to you in private because I have a message for you, but, to deliver this message correctly, I need you to keep looking me in the eyes, alright?” She calmly said to him. He nodded.

What happened next, caught Tattered Moon completely off guard. Midnight had covered the rest of the distance between their muzzles and kissed him. He did flinch when this happened, but, didn’t move away. Her eyes fluttered closed as she rubbed his cheek softly. Her soft lips collided with his, his heart now racing.

When she broke the kiss, she simply stared at him, love in her eyes as she said,” I love you too, and I want you to know that.”

He was at a loss for words. But, he didn’t have to speak yet as Midnight spoke again,” I’m going to give you an offer, it doesn’t matter if you say ‘yes’ or ‘no’, I just want the truth. Alright?”

Tattered Moon nodded dumbly, at her. She giggled looking at him with bedroom eyes.

“I want to be your marefriend, and if you chose to accept this, you’ll be my coltfriend, so, will you be my coltfriend?” she asked softly, her eyes sparkling.

Tattered Moon said breathlessly,” Yes, of course.”

What Midnight did next was what he didn’t expect her to do. She flew up and grabbed him and flew over to her bed, landing softly on it. She laid down on her side and so did Tattered Moon. A smile on both of their muzzles.

“Well, coltfriend, let’s get under these blankets and sleep, I’m tired,” Midnight said, kissing his nose.

“Yes, Cap-,” Tattered was cut off by her.

“When we are alone,” she said as she snuggled up against him under her blanket,” You’ll call me Midnight and I’ll call you Moony, alright?”

His answer was to wrap his hoof around her and pull her into a hug, stating softly, “Yes, Midnight.”

“Hm, good boy,” was her response as the two dozed off into the land of sleep. Their hearts now as close to each other as they’ll ever be.

Midnight had made her move, Prim was still in wait, trying to find and catch that special moment, as the deadline for the Blue Moon Gala approached. Yet, she had made a trap, all she had to do was get Flare to the roof, and be herself when she confessed... but will it be that simple? What would Flare say to her? What will happen if he rejects her? These thoughts went to bed with Prim that very night.

Author's Note:

At first, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with Midnight. Well, I figured it out!

Prim and Flare debut are coming up! What will happen at the Blue Moon Gala? Stay tuned after these messages!