• Published 23rd Dec 2017
  • 4,416 Views, 92 Comments

Merry Regiftmas - Georg



Queen Chrysalis has given Princess Celestia and Princess Luna an unwelcome gift for Hearth’s Warming. Thankfully, they can regift it to somepony. Who can regift it to somepony. Who can…

  • ...
6
 92
 4,416

Holiday Wrap-Up

Merry Regiftmas
Holiday Wrap-Up


It had been a long flight to the Badlands while carrying the tattered gift box, with one brief detour into the Bandlands, because the changeling could not read a map. But despite poor directions and a horde of changelings trying to jump him when he landed, the guard was headed back to Canterlot at a good clip. Without the box, he made much better speed, probably encouraged by the occasional glance behind him and the possibility of changeling pursuit.

Darkness had engulfed the land by the time he made it back to Canterlot, to a nearly empty castle and a curious Lunar princess who received his report. She nodded when he described his day and delivery trail, and thankfully did not laugh. Well, too much. Then she clapped him on the shoulder, thanked him for being such a good guard, and gave him two extra days off for the holiday before vanishing into her private chambers where he suspected a mug of hot chocolate and a warm sister awaited.

It took little time for the guard to visit the barracks, peel out of his armor, and place it in his locker. Writing the report took a little longer, but he had the place all to himself, since he had missed the traditional Dismissing Of The Guards Except For A Few Volentold. Hearth’s Warming tradition put only a few guards on duty in the mostly closed castle, which he had thought was his posting today, due to his lack of relatives, marefriends, or other activities to occupy his Hearth’s Warming.

This holiday sucks.

On his way out of the castle, he gave one of the lucky guardstallions a sharp salute and continued on his way back to his apartment, trying not to think of the double-overtime he was missing, or the hungry pit in his belly. The castle kitchens were closed, nothing in town was open, and his own pantry was a little thin in the holiday cheer department. Canned beets and canned cranberry sauce was about all he expected.

Or at least until he opened his apartment door and saw the takeout containers sitting on his kitchenette table.

“Cheesy broccoli poppers,” he murmured, popping one of the delectable bits into his mouth and luxuriating in the sweet burst of flavor. “Beet bites, chocolate-dipped alfalfa cubes, apple crumble. Princess Luna must have snuck these over here while I was in the barracks.”

He ate happily until he was comfortably full and put the considerable leftovers in the icebox for later. It made his long day a lot more like the holiday season was supposed to be, and made him give a yawn as he walked over to close the blinds over the window.

The open window, which he was certain had been locked when he left for work.

“Hello?” he called out while backing up so his rear was against the window and crouching down in a combative pose. “Princess Luna, are you still in here? I appreciate the food, but—”

“Luna didn’t bring you dinner,” called out a voice from his bedroom. “I did.”

He crept forward through his apartment and peeked into the bedroom where the voice had come from. The light was on, showing a bright pink pegasus sprawled out over his bed, wearing nothing but a silver ribbon and tied up with a bow.

The guard looked in astonishment for a few moments before asking quietly, “Changeling?”

The ‘pegasus’ nodded. “I didn’t think it was fair that everypony else got a present and you didn’t. So I stopped by the last open shop in the market, picked up some food for you, and slipped into something a little more comfortable.” She paused. “Well, aren’t you going to come over here and unwrap your present?”

It took a little thinking before the guard smiled. “I have two days off.”

The changeling smiled back. “Sounds good to me. Happy Hearth’s Warming.”

Author's Note:

And a very merry Christmas to one and all. May all of you find good luck and cheer in this holiday season, and a changeling in your stocking on Christmas morning. :heart:

Comments ( 53 )

Face it. You guys expected this chapter, didn't you?

and then they boned super hard!

“Ahh,” said the box. “Apple pie love. Some of the best stuff.”

:rainbowlaugh:

Great little story. So darn cute!

Saw the ending coming, but that didn't make the journey any less enjoyable. Especially Pinkie's three forms of identification. Thank you for it. :twilightsmile:

8626705
Expect? No. But I'm not exactly surprised.

FTL

8626705
To be honest... not quite!

I had expected something near the end as you began describing the guard's Hearthwarming situation (could relate as I have had a similar experience one year).

Nice little fluff piece with a sufficient amount of cute and just a little hint of sass to make it right.

Happy Hearth's Warming to you as well Georg!

Well, I was very much shipping them by the end of the first chapter, so this worked out quite well.

Two more days! Can anyone top this?

YOOOOOOOO NICE COVER PIC :D

I was expecting somepony (maybe Chrysalis) to remark about the number of crossed out names on the label, but then, not everypony did the whole cross-out-and-write-over thing!

*Checks rating. Yeah, ok. I can reasonably say, "And then, they banged!"

8626705
Actually, no, no I did not! Just got back from work and yay for guard pony!

What is it with you and stories about changelings being given as presents?

8627273 Only one, Seven Brides for Seven Changelings, (which I need to tag in the entry comment)

8627279
I know, but for such an oddly specific premise reusing it at all outside of a sequel seems noteworthy.

8627328 Well, if you want one, all you have to do is ask. I've got a couple hundred tunneled in under the house here, and FedEx will let me pack 'em two to a box. Just make sure to get them unpacked when you get them, or it gets messy a few days later.

Good Ending get!

So, do I get the story correctly and the only one who gave the changeling love was the guard, or did I misunderstood it?

8628454
My reading is that they ALL gave the Changleling love right up until they OPENED the box (although Rarity MIGHT have contributed a bit as she doll-dressed the Changling).

This is nice. I like this kind of fluff every once in a while. :twilightsmile:

Happy Hearth's Re-Warming to everyone! :raritywink:

But yeah, this was fun, sweet fluff, and a joy to read.

8628733

Okay, that is much nicer interpretation than the one of mine.

Why do I never cease to enjoy your stuff Georg?

8629436 Probably because I enjoy writing it. That may be the key to good writing.
8629240 No, Hearth's Re-warming starts tomorrow when we celebrate Merry Leftovermas.
8628733 and what young fashionista would turn down the opportunity to dress up a regifted present?
8628454 Oh, he gives her love in the end. Oh, wait. I should rephrase that. Ratings and all.

Nice story there, Georg. :heart: Cute and silly, and a nice little light-hearted bit of holiday wackiness. Kinda nice that the much-beleaguered guard got something nice for all his troubles (he might have to look up Regift-chan the Changeling in the post-Chrysalis era if she's this nice pre-reformation).

Happy Hearth's Warming! 🎄

8630063
Oh, I think I get it now. Of course, its a changeling, how did I not see that? Thank you for replying, and so quick too! :twilightsmile:

“Sheesh, he’s a mess.”
“She, actually,” said the guard.
“How can you tell? Nevermind.”

That's easy. Just have a good look at a certain part of the body:
If they have eyelashes they are female, if not they are male.

Good story!
And it's a good addition to not leave the poor guard out in the cold.

But shouldn't there be a Changeling-tag? I mean even the cover-art gave it away.

8631344
What? It's true!
I mean, how would you try to figure out the gender?

8631406
i cant believe you would look! i mean, gah! You just peak, you dont investigate. thats a very intimate part of a mare!

“Luna didn’t bring you dinner,” called out a voice from his bedroom. “I did.”

Woohoo! :yay:

She paused. “Well, aren’t you going to come over here and unwrap your present?”

Saucy gal! :rainbowlaugh:

8626705
I certainly hoped for it :rainbowlaugh:

:pinkiehappy: :heart:
i love it a perfect story.

Loved it.
Dah ending was a lovely touch.

8631406
Obviously stallions have a more square chin. Celestia is really good at covering his gender.

Poor Richard gets nice gift after all this hard work. I guess that’s why change things hang out in clubs, lots of free food

That poor guard...and that poor changeling...so much time cooped up in a box...so much running around. And the poor little changeling was unwanted! I would have taken her! :derpytongue2:

He didn't appear to be to upset with the idea of a Changling present...

Hahaha that's awesome, this story definitely brightened up my now day. I hope we will be seeing more of the pair in the future

D'awwww, a happy ending.

Take the food....And be a FRIEND to the changeling. Nothing drastic needed...

I'm kind of ashamed of myself, because it took me this long to find this fic. Also, yep, I ship it. ;)

8626705

I actually did not. But this IS much better indeed.

Login or register to comment