• Published 6th Dec 2011
  • 6,081 Views, 80 Comments

Lord Phantom - GlassAlicorn



Random disasters are going on without relief, and something is very wrong with Twilight...

  • ...
8
 80
 6,081

Snap

Chapter 6: Snap.

It had been two hours since Twilight had woken up from that nightmare, and all attempts she made to calm herself down and get back to sleep ended in failure. She felt very sick, and as the time went by, crazed thoughts kept crossing her mind. She hadn't been feeling well for a few days now, but this was even worse. Before, she didn't want to be near her friends, for fear they would ask what was wrong, a question whose answer she didn't know. Now, she felt violent, and she didn't understand why.

She glanced at Spike to make sure he hadn't noticed her discomfort. Thankfully, he was still asleep and oblivious to the horrible night she was having. She felt some relief in not having him involved, and she hoped to keep it that way. She really didn't want anyone involved, but she was aware this wasn't something she could take care of on her own.

After a few moments of doing nothing but staring at the wall, Twilight got out of the bed and went downstairs again. She walked over to the desk and pulled an unused scroll out of its drawer, lifting the writing quill out of the ink. She shivered as the thought of burning the place down crossed her mind, but she fought it furiously and instead began writing the letter that she knew couldn't wait until morning. She would wake up Spike when she was done writing it and have him send it; she could explain why she did later. She was sure he would understand.

Snap.

The quill was broken in half and then thrown into the trash can, whereas the unfinished letter was crumbled and forced to share the quill's fate. “...'Dear Princess Celestia'...” the Alicorn that now stood in Twilight's place said in disdain, “Bah! I can hardly believe we are the same pony... I do not revere that foal! I only fight for the true Queen!”

Twilight Despair looked around the library curiously, digging through the memories of her other self to find out where exactly she was. “...Ponyville?” she muttered, the town nowhere within her own memory, “...What...time...is this, exactly?” Again she dug through Twilight Sparkle's memories to find an answer. It didn't take her long to find it, but she ended up finding out much more than she wanted to.

“...I've been dormant for nearly a thousand years?!” Twilight Despair shrieked, the realization hitting her like a ton of bricks, “And she -no, I- brought the Queen's own doom?!” she roared in rage and knocked the desk over with a loud crash, “Celestia is going to pay for this! I'll do what I should've done when I first saw her! I'll put her light out for good this time!” She would've said more, but another voice interrupted her:

“...Twilight?!”

The deranged pony turned to face Rainbow and Spike, the former having spoken to her. Twilight Despair stared at them long and hard, before turning her gaze to Rainbow, eyes burning with hatred. “...You...” she breathed, walking closer to her 'friend', “How dare you show your face to me! I hate you for what you've done! I hate all of you! I wish I had never met any of you!”

Rainbow opened her mouth to respond, but that attempt was proven futile as Twilight Despair pinned her to the ground and wrapped her misty mane around her throat, kicking Spike out of the way and into the wall. The Pegasus kicked at her assailant furiously and struggled to breathe, but to no avail. “Tell me, was being loyal to a 'friend' in need really worth it?” Twilight Despair inquired, choosing to put her hoof on Rainbow's chest and push down, “...Look at what it's about to cost you. Is a friend really worth the one thing you can never replace?”

“Y-you're not m-my friend...” Rainbow choked out, her body beginning to go limp, “M-my f-friend wouldn't do this...” She was unable to say anything else as Twilight Despair's grip tightened. The cyan pony allowed a feeling of hopelessness to envelope her as her vision slowly started going black. Why did it have to end this way?

Twilight Despair suddenly let out a cry of distress and let go of Rainbow as her eyes returned to the soft eyes of a normal pony, Twilight Sparkle struggling to regain control. Rainbow ignored her, instead trying to comprehend what was going on and why she was suddenly able to breathe again. She decided not to dwell on the latter and took huge gulps of air, her body waking up.

“Rainbow!” Spike declared, getting up and running towards her, “Can you move?” Rainbow slowly got to her feet, rubbing her throat for a moment and wincing at the pain in her chest. “...Yeah...” she answered, her voice a little coarse, “...We...we need to tell Princess Celestia...she...she'll know what to do...”

“Got it!”

“You will do no such thing!” Twilight Despair roared, standing upright as she gained full control once more, “I will not allow it! You'll both be nothing but a pile of ash when I'm through with you if you dare try!” her ear twitched suddenly, “...And as for you...” her horn glowed and Shadow became visible while sneaking up behind her, the sound of glass shattering as her invisibility spell was broken, “...You can join them!”

“I have no intention of doing so,” Shadow replied, her voice completely deadpan, “But I also don't exactly wish to fight you. But, if it will help the Equestrian and that Dragon, then I will.” Several shurikens levitated to both of her sides, aimed at Twilight Despair. “Oh, such wondrous resolve you have there...” the Alicorn said with an unamused tone, “...To throw away your life for people you barely know. If everyone was as stupid as you, my work would be a whole lot easier.”

Shadow made no response, instead turning to Rainbow and Spike. “You know what you must do!” she shouted to them. With that, she threw the shurikens at Twilight Despair, only for said Alicorn to catch them with her magic and throw them back with ease. Shadow hastily brought up a shield, but one shuriken managed to get past it and slice at her hind-leg. Ignoring the stinging, she steadied herself and levitated the shurikens again, smiling inwardly as she saw Spike find a replacement quill and scroll, then get on Rainbow's back, unhindered by Twilight Despair.

“You are no match for me!” Twilight Despair yelled, her horn glowing a deadly red, “Give up now and I might end you painlessly!” A spear made of ice soon materialized near her, and she immediately threw it at Shadow, who responded with her shurikens again, enough of them managing to slice the spear and break it down. Twilight Despair then readied multiple ice spears and threw them before Shadow could retrieve the shurikens, the spears hitting their mark and freezing her.

Twilight Despair's horn glowed again and a black sword materialized near her, being held by her magic. She prepared to thrust it into Shadow's chest, but stopped when she heard the door slam. She gritted her teeth when she realized Rainbow and Spike were no longer in the library, and that Shadow only meant to distract her. She growled in frustration and ran towards the door, Shadow managing to thaw herself out with fire magic and jump at her, only for Twilight Despair to stop and kick her into a bookcase, knocking her out cold.

“...I don't need to find them immediately,” Twilight Despair muttered to herself, when she found that they were nowhere in sight after leaving the library, “After all, I can just burn this whole town into cinders! It shouldn't matter if they get a letter to their 'Princess', because they'll all be dead by then!” A bright ring of fire began to surround her, shattering the shadows that enveloped the immediate area. She flapped her wings and flew over the now burning ground, shooting more small flames onto the ground.

“...They couldn't have gotten far...” Twilight Despair muttered, smashing a cart that was underneath her for no reason other than more pointless destruction, “I'll just finish this now!” A large fireball began to grow around her horn, and she held her head up high as she began to fly upward. She prepared to throw it onto the town below, but let out a shriek when a blast of burning light magic hit her right in her back, causing her to fall to the ground and the fireball to vanish.

Twilight Despair laid on the ground for a few moments, in too much pain to get up and find her attacker. She closed her eyes shut, wishing the light magic would leave and stop tearing at what felt like her entire being. She cursed being a user of dark magic briefly, as that only made the light magic hurt her even more. She slowly opened her eyelids when she felt another's presence, seeing someone she wasn't exactly happy to see.

“...What has happened to you?” Celestia breathed, staring at Twilight Despair in both horror and denial. “I'm whole again,” came the evil Alicorn's response, “I am who I'm supposed to be!” she struggled to stand up, “And I will destroy you!”

Twilight Despair lunged at the Sun Princess, poised to pin her to the ground, but Celestia flew out of the way. Twilight Despair stopped running and summoned ice spears, throwing them at Celestia, who was unable to dodge all of them and forced to the ground. Twilight Despair's horn glowed once more and a ball of dark energy appeared near her head, before moving to her side and morphing into the pitch black blade.

Celestia made no movement, instead choosing to watch her foe intently while she laid there on the ground. Twilight Despair raised the sword above her head and charged towards Celestia, the tip of the blade poised to slice clean through the light Alicorn's body. Just as she was about to slash Celestia, the Sun Princess' magic grabbed her and threw her into a nearby building, creating an Alicorn-shaped hole in it's wall.

“Please Twilight, stop this,” Celestia said firmly as Twilight Despair crawled out of the rubble, “You won't accomplish anything from this!” Twilight Despair growled and stood upright, the sword no longer by her side. She reared up and slammed her hooves into the floor, generating a shockwave, then she flew out of the building as it destroyed that building and all buildings near it, the distressed cries of many ponies heard afterwards.

“Isn't this a bit familiar?” Twilight Despair inquired mockingly as the fire she had started previously began to spread throughout the whole town, “I'm sure you remember how the last incident like this ended...” she then stepped forward, the black sword by her side once more, “That entire part of the castle was completely destroyed, and tell me...how many of those loyal guards of yours actually made it out?” Celestia's only response was silence.

“You really don't know? Pity... I was hoping you could tell me. Because after all, though you got away, we all know who won that day! And how many days after it?! Countless days! But then, you and Eclipse thought it would be a grand idea to use those worthless jewels!”

Twilight Despair saw it fit to ignore her sword and grab Celestia with her magic, slamming her into a burning building. “You banished the 'Queen' and I!” she shrieked, her words shaky, “You...subjected your own sister to nothing but loneliness for a thousand years! And what of me?!” she began furiously throwing all kinds of magic at Celestia, “You made me into a tool! A weapon! To be used against the one I fought for! And somehow, she and I are the monsters?!”

“I didn't want to banish her!” Celestia protested, struggling to stand up, “And what you are now is the not the real you!” She jumped out of the way of another attack, wincing at the damage all of this was causing. And it seemed that the angrier Twilight Despair got, the stronger the flames enveloping the town became.

Rainbow and Spike watched this from afar, the former laying on the ground panting heavily while the latter attempted to help her stand up. “Rainbow, we can't stay here!” the Dragon cried desperately, “The whole town is burning down! We need a raincloud!” Rainbow could only look at him in regret, her body's energy spent.

“I...” Rainbow managed weakly, attempting to stand only for more pain to rip through her chest and force her back down, “...I can't...” She looked around as the building they were near finally caught fire, all the Pegasi she was able to see in a state of panic, struggling to even gather the focus to perform the task they needed to. There was no proper guidance. But, she could notice rainclouds approaching at a very fast rate, but the reason why could not be seen by her blurring vision.

“Twilight, I will not fight you.” Celestia said calmly, but the regret and worry on her face rendered the voice pointless. This only made Twilight Despair start laughing and fire a cloud filled with electricity from her horn, forcing Celestia to the ground once more, this time with no chance of escape.. “And that is where you always fail!” Twilight Despair snapped, a wicked grin on her face, “Kindness will get you nowhere! And now...” she recreated the sword, “It will ultimately be your undoing!”

As she raised the sword, rain began to pour from the clouds with much more ferocity than the previous storm, and then came a voice whose sheer volume far outweighed the storm's:

“SUCH POINTLESS VIOLENCE HAS NO PLACE IN THIS COUNTRY! AND IF YOU SHALL REFUSE TO CEASE IT, THEN I SHALL BRING YOU DOWN BY MY OWN BLADE!”

Everyone ceased all movement and stared in both fear and awe at the enraged Moon Princess hovering above them, as the fires were soundly put out by the rain. Luna slowly descended to the ground, a dark blue sword levitating by her side. She turned to Celestia and Twilight Despair, the cold calmness on her face broken for a second and replaced by sorrow and horror, then it was overtaken by an even fiercer expression. An expression that screamed for justice..

Twilight Despair's resolve was shattered in an instant, and the once mighty Alicorn found herself trembling in absolute terror. Only out of sheer stubborn will was she able to keep standing and looking Luna in the eye. Neither one said a word, but Luna's accusing face was enough to make Twilight Despair attempt to dash out of the area.

“DO NOT EVEN DARE TO RUN AWAY FROM ME!” Luna bellowed, the rage in her voice making it all the more intimidating. Twilight Despair didn't respond, but she screamed and fell face-first into the mud as her eyes lost their dragonish shape. Though her body was still the same, it was clear Twilight Sparkle was in control, and was just as terrified.

She scrambled to her hooves, slipping on the mud over and over, before finally being able to stand properly. She would've charged forward, but was hit with a powerful blast of light magic courtesy of Celestia, and fell to the ground once more, screaming in agony as her body shrank to the size of a normal Unicorn. Her coat became its normal lavender, while her mane and tail were now solid. But yet, the wings remained on her back.

Twilight laid on the ground twitching in pain, as the Princesses walked towards her. Her ears drooped as she felt their disapproving looks while they now loomed over her. She turned her gaze away from them and saw the damage inflicted on the town thanks to the fire. There was a crowd of injured ponies staring at her in horror and disbelief, but no one seemed wounded enough to be in any danger of dying. As destructive as her rampage was, no one appeared to have died. Though she wanted to be comforted by that thought, it wasn't enough to make her feel any better.

“...You can say you're sorry...” Celestia spoke up, causing Twilight to look at her, “But that won't fix what's been done, nor will it help you.” The smaller Alicorn barely registered what had been said to her, instead starting to tremble uncontrollably, before letting out a bloodcurdling scream of terror, her expression almost blank. She began pounding her front hooves into the ground, continuing to scream, until finally her energy was spent and she lost consciousness. Luna looked away and closed her eyes in response to this.

Celestia said nothing, instead teleporting away, along with Luna and Twilight. The ponies could only stare at the area where the three once were, many of them with mixed emotions of sadness, horror, and even anger. Their gaze soon turned to what was left of Ponyville, and upon gazing at the charred remains of the buildings, they held their heads low in despair.

“Twilight...” Rainbow muttered softly to herself, laying in the mud, “...What's happened to you? Are you not...who you say you are?” She struggled to fight the small tears that were forming, as many uncomfortable thoughts crossed her mind. Twilight couldn't be her friend anymore; the real Twilight was much kinder than that...thing. Twilight had a heart, she knew it. That Alicorn had no heart, no feelings, no hope. Just hate, hate, and more hate.

“Oh, Rainbow Dash, what happened to you?!” Rarity cried out from behind Rainbow and Spike, rushing to the former. “I won't tell you unless you promise to actually listen to a word I say rather than shove more accusations down my throat!” Rainbow yelled loudly, instantly wishing she had spoken more softly, as her chest felt as if it was being torn to shreds on the inside.

“...Oh, never mind, darling! We need to get you to a doctor!”

Rainbow made no response as more ponies came and helped her stand, leading her off to a safer area. She risked a glance at the library, which the flames from before had barely reached. The leaves and some other parts of the tree were charred, but yet the library still stood. Rainbow allowed a small smile as she turned her head back in front. Surely her real friend would love to see the place still intact. But the only thing needed was for the real friend to come back home.

(Author's Note: Forgive me for taking a bit more of your time, but I have two requests.. If anyone is willing, I would like to know what tropes are being used in this story. I can't judge it properly myself, but I believe readers can. And also, if there is anyone who likes this story enough and would be willing, I want to request to have a picture for this drawn, so the picture fits better. I have an idea, but don't possess the skill or means to make it. I'm not making any demands; don't feel this has to be done. I just wanted to request this. Anyways, bye for now.)