• Published 6th Dec 2011
  • 6,079 Views, 80 Comments

Lord Phantom - GlassAlicorn



Random disasters are going on without relief, and something is very wrong with Twilight...

  • ...
8
 80
 6,079

Things That Go Bump in the Night

Chapter 3: Things That Go Bump in the Night.

Shadow had watched the Unicorn run away, and had seen it fit to pursue her, hiding in the darkness so she wouldn't be seen. However, no matter how closely she followed the intruder, she always managed to lose her, until finally, the ninja could find no trace of her anywhere, as if she had just disappeared into thin air.

The dark blue Unicorn scanned the area with a critical eye, before deciding to look through the town briefly. She wasn't able to see the intruder fully, but recognized her presence, which was darkness, attempting to hide itself with innocence. She'd been sensing this presence for only a short time, and the stronger it got, the more perplexed she became. She knew none of these things were mere accidents. She had felt the dark presence every time something happened. That couldn't be a coincidence...

Shadow was brought out of her inner monologue as music played at an unholy volume, waking up pretty much every sleeping pony in Ponyville (except for Emerald; the mare could sleep in an active war zone and not be woken up). Shadow considered her options as lights turned on, and promptly disappeared in a puff of smoke. She didn't want to risk being seen and possibly blamed for what happened (the ponies in this town had their doubts about her, and she knew it).

Meanwhile...

The house the loud music was coming from happened to be the house of Vinyl Scratch, better known as DJ PON-3. Said Unicorn, however, was sound asleep, completely oblivious to the fact that her music player was on, and playing really really loud. How she could not notice was bizarre, but yet, there she was, sleeping peacefully and dreaming about who knows what.

“STOP THIS INFERNAL RACKET AT ONCE!”

A loud sound of something being kicked, followed by the record abruptly stopping.

Well, that woke up Sleeping Beauty.

Scratch groggily got out of bed, a baseball bat suddenly floating as her horn glowed. She really had no idea what just happened, and didn't feel like taking chances. However, of all the things she expected, the 'Great and Powerful' Trixie certainly wasn't one of them. The blue Unicorn was standing near the music player, having kicked it to turn it off (she was too ticked off by being woken up to bother pressing the 'Off' switch).

To say Scratch's reaction was deadpan would be an understatement, “I...what.”

“Hmph!” was the only response Trixie had, then she jumped out the open window, leaving Scratch further dumb struck. “...Am I missing something important?” she finally managed, blinking stupidly, “...How'd she get in, anyway? I thought I locked the window...”

At another house...

Emerald adjusted her telescope, her tongue sticking out as she concentrated. The music randomly playing had thrown her off, but she had managed to shrug it off and continue with her passion. Whereas the ponies knew her as a constantly tired, coffee-obsessed disaster area during the day, at night she was completely awake and totally competent. This was the side of her ponies rarely got to see, because they were usually asleep. But make no mistake, Emerald did in fact have a skill other than causing trouble without realizing it. Skill in astronomy and its science were her gift. And she was determined to star-gaze, and nothing could break her focus...

“Oh, hi Twilight Sparkle! Funny seeing you out here!”

Except her attention span when near other ponies.

Twilight visibly cringed at the voice, not exactly expecting anyone to say anything to her. Most of the ponies had gone back to sleep, anyway. Those that didn't were angrily surrounding Scratch's house, so she really wasn't expecting this. The only pony she had seen that was not with the group was Trixie, whom was very content to ignore her existence, so she didn't expect her to say anything, either.

“Um...hi Emerald...” Twilight said nervously once she regained her composure. “What're you doing out here?” Emerald asked cheerily, “Got woken up by the music?”

Brief hesitation, “Uh...y-yeah! I was just wondering where it was coming from.”

“The house of that DJ PON-3, me thinks.”

“I noticed...”

“I walked by there awhile ago.”

“You did?”

“Yeah. I saw the ponies surrounding her house as if it was a crime scene and they were law enforcement. This won't be pretty when she wakes up.”

Twilight opened her mouth to respond, but a shrill scream interrupted her, followed by a rumbling that could only be caused by a bunch of ponies running at once. “Aw, so soon?” Emerald seemingly whined, “I better put my telescope up... Hey Twilight, I wouldn't stand in the road if I were you.” Twilight gave her a puzzled look, then saw the 'stampeding' ponies, Scratch in front of them all, running in terror as they pursued her. The look on her face clearly showed she still had no idea what had happened.

Twilight stood there frozen for a moment, then promptly ran through Emerald's open door, the green Unicorn closing it and locking it, having put her telescope back inside. The rumbling grew greater as the large group of ponies passed the house. “Okay, standard procedure,” Emerald said bluntly, “Nopony goes outside, nopony gets flattened like a pancake, as Chaos would say.” The two then looked outside, hearing the ponies yell in rage as they chased the still very frightened Scratch.

“GET THE DJ!!! DON'T LET HER ESCAPE!”

“We'll teach you to disturb the peace!”

“Come back here so we can catch you!”

“Radar will be needed to find you when I get my hooves on you!”

“Why are we chasing her again?! I forgot!”

“Must be bad to be her right now.” Emerald said bluntly as the group effectively left Ponyville. Twilight only nodded nervously. “I...I hope she'll be okay...” she muttered, then she added hastily, “Anyway, it was nice seeing you, but I better get back home. Bye!” Emerald responded with a wave and a goofy grin as Twilight left her house.

Later...

“I hope Spike isn't awake...” Twilight muttered as she walked inside her home, only to be greeted by a very perplexed Dragon standing near the doorway, eyes on her. “Where were you?!” Spike cried, having been woken up by the music and 'stampede'.

“Uh...I was just seeing what was causing the music to play...”

“But it woke me up, and when I did, you were gone!”

“It woke me up first.”

“I woke up when it started playing!”

“Or you think you did.”

Spike crossed his arms and glared, but decided the 'argument' was getting them nowhere, and then went back upstairs. Twilight let out a sigh of relief, glad he didn't press the matter further. She walked over to her desk, her horn glowing as a small book floated over and was gently set down on the table, wincing slightly. She took a quick look over her shoulder before reading what was inside.

That morning...

“Why are you asking me for help again?” Rocket asked, looking dumb struck, “I really don't think this is something you need help for...” Spike shook his head. “This is the second time in a row!” he protested, “I've tried everything! She won't wake up! Please, you've gotta help me!”

“Well, okay then... Let me have a go!”

“Thanks Rocket! You're the best!”

“Eh, no problem, really...”

Spike promptly left the immediate area as Rocket began attempting to wake up Twilight. All of the colt's attempts were unsuccessful, even though they made a lot of noise and attracted attention from a bunch of curious and possibly frightened ponies (one of Rocket's attempts involved firecrackers which he -ahem- borrowed from Cloud).

“Whoa...” Rocket breathed after yet another failed attempt, laying down on his back, “...Am I seriously getting owned by a sleeping Unicorn?! This is crazy!” he promptly sprang to his feet, “No way! I'm not letting her win this easily! No sir!” He promptly started kicking the side of the bed frame, causing the bookshelf near it to shake slightly until eventually, a book fell.

It was then that Rocket put all the pieces to this puzzle together, and everything made sense.

And he most certainly did not like where it all led.

Rocket let out a cry as Twilight jumped out of bed and promptly tackled him, before realizing what had just happened and getting off. “...Rocket...?!” she managed after a lengthy silence, then she looked a bit ticked off. “W-wait, I c-can explain!” Rocket shouted in terror, putting up his front hooves defensively, “This wasn't my idea! It was Spike's!” at this Rocket's cries turned to a wail as he noticed her horn glowing, “Now please don't hurt me with your mind!!” With that, the terrified Pegasus zoomed out of the room, leaving Twilight dumb struck as she put the book back where it belonged, not intending to do whatever it was Rocket seem convinced she would do.

“...Oh great, not again...” Twilight groaned when she saw what time it was, “Ugh, I've got to get this under control...” She shook her head, then walked downstairs, hearing someone knocking on the door. Spike went to open it, and ended up sent flying across the room as Pinkie slammed it open, dressed like what appeared to be a detective gone ninja.

“Pinkie what's with all of...” Twilight managed as she examined the odd get-up, “...this.” Pinkie gave her a rather accusing stare. “You...you just gestured to all of me!” she shouted.

“Well, not exactly, it was just the outfit... It looks, um...how do I put it? Ridiculous.”

“I see where you're going, Missy! And you're playing a dangerous game!”

“But I...”

Pinkie suddenly struck a very cheesy pose, “I'm a ninja detective! And keeping all of this ninja-ness and detective-ness...contained...THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES!”

“...What?” Spike blurted out after Pinkie's outburst. The pink Earth Pony dropped her pose and began staring them down, breathing slowly for a few seconds, then her eyes narrowed, making Twilight back away whereas Spike opted to grab a nearby empty flower pot and place it on his head, as if to protect it from something that could possibly happen.

“Listen,” Pinkie said in a rather serious tone, “If you want to know I'm doing, you're going to have to promise to keep it a secret!” Twilight and Spike exchanged brief glances, then decided they very likely wouldn't hear the end of it if they didn't promise to. “Okay, we promise...” Twilight replied.

“Do you swear?!”

“Yes...”

“Pinkie Pie Swear?!”

“...Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.” Twilight and Spike both recited, sounding annoyed as they did so. “Well...okay!” Pinkie shouted cheerily, then her tone turned serious again, “The kitchen at Sugarcube Corner got destroyed again, the apple trees at Sweet Apple Acres keep dying, music plays for no reason mostly because I know DJ PON-3 didn't turn it on, Rarity's shop got trashed again, and I WANNA FIND OUT WHY!!”

Silence.

“Nopony must know I was here, okay? Nopony!”

Brief nods.

“That's good! See ya!”

Pinkie promptly ran out, with no explanation as to why she had come in the first place.

“...I have no idea what just happened, and I don't know whether to be excited or scared to find out,” Spike managed after a brief silence, “...And I assume you're going to continue studying and not worry about this, aren't you?” He sighed when he saw Twilight trying to levitate a study book, closing her eyes for a brief moment as she struggled to lift it. She didn't even respond to him.

Somewhere else...

“We hope you enjoyed your stay at our fine inn!” the overly cheery innkeeper exclaimed, smiling at Rainbow, who only responded with a very weak grin. “...Yeah...” she muttered numbly, “It was nice...”

“Wonderful to hear, my dear! And I wish you the best!”

“...Thanks...”

Without waiting for any response, Rainbow walked out of the inn, looking depressed. She felt lucky that she was able to afford to stay for one night, but that only solved a short-term problem. She didn't have any money to do anything else, so if that barrier wasn't gone, she wasn't sure what to do.

After a few minutes, she made it to her house, glaring up at it. She spread her wings and flew towards it, suddenly losing her melancholy mood and regaining her rash attitude, as she approached it at full speed. She regretted this the minute she smashed into the barrier, and fell to the ground, more painfully than last time.

She laid on her back for a few seconds, as if trying to comprehend what had just happened. Finally, she saw it fit to scream in rage and pain, a few tears trickling down her face as she did so. Other ponies heard her, but were too afraid to ask what was wrong. Some even thought it was just an act to get attention. A much smaller amount simply didn't care. But for some reason, Rainbow was almost glad no one tried to help. A shred of stubborn pride within her wanted to fix the problem herself.

Ceasing the screaming, Rainbow stood back up, wiping her tear-stained face. She then narrowed her eyes at nothing in particular, then walked off with a frustrated shriek, too upset to do anything else. Anyone that was watching simply had no idea what was upsetting her so, ignorant of the barrier and what she had to worry about.

Meanwhile...

“Yer tellin' me that the trees are bein' killed on purpose?” Apple Jack asked, staring at Shadow, “But ya don't know fer sure who it is?” Shadow nodded.

“...How do I know ya didn't go and do it yerself?”

“Tell me, what would I gain from that? It accomplishes nothing I want.”

“...Well fine. I'll believe ya...”

“Good. While I can't say for sure, if they come again, it will very likely be at night...”

Apple Jack didn't answer, but appeared thoughtful. “Well, if they come back, they've got another thing comin'!” she declared, running back into her home. Shadow then walked away, before disappearing from sight.

Somewhere else...

“...Ruined!” Rarity wailed as she stood in the center of her ruined shop, “It's all...ruined!” she shielded her face with her hoof over-dramatically, “I'm ruined if this keeps up! Why me?! What wrong have I done to anypony?!” Her knees gave out and she collapsed onto the floor, laying on her stomach, crying to high Heaven. If it was possible to flood her home with tears, she was certainly crying enough to perform such a feat.

“Aw, don't cry Rarity!”

Rarity's ears perked up, and she opened her eyes, a little bit worried. “...Why shouldn't I be upset?” she questioned indignantly, then her eyes widened when she saw what Pinkie was wearing, “...And my word! What is all of...” she struggled to find the right word, “...this.” Pinkie's jaw dropped and she gave the most appalled expression she could muster. “You just gestured to all of me, just like Twilight did!” she shouted, eyes burning with totally justified fury, “How could you?! And I was gonna help you, too! Now I just might not!”

“Oh for Heaven's sake Pinkie, I-”

“This wouldn't be happening if you had just said something nice about my awesome ninja detective costume, but noooooo...”

“Pinkie, darling...”

“You just had to gesture to all of me with a questioning look like this costume I spent all night was a bad thing and that my help is unwanted...”

Rarity cleared her throat, “...Pinkie.”

“And instead of feeling so sad like I did when I saw the state your shop was in, I just can't help but feel so mad, and-”

“PINKIE PIE!”

Pinkie instantly shut up and looked at Rarity with a dumb struck, completely innocent expression. “Yes, Rarity?” she asked sweetly, as if nothing had even happened. “...What is it you came here to do, darling?” Rarity replied, her patience with the pink Earth Pony still thin.

“Oh, that! I came here because I want to catch the Mean Meanie Pants who's been causing everypony so much trouble!”

“...That's lovely, but what do you need me for?”

“I want you to stay up tonight and guard your shop, in case the Mean Meanie Pants shows up again! I've already decided to guard Sugarcube Corner from whatever that extra naughty colt or filly will try!”

At this, Rarity stared at her in disbelief, blinking every so often. “You expect me to stay up oh so very late?!” she cried in shock, “But a lady needs her beauty sleep!” Pinkie only gave her a crooked grin. “Aunt Pinkie Pie expected this!” she declared, striking a very cheesy pose, “But honestly, you silly filly! Look at the mess that Mean Meanie Pants has made!”

“Frankly, my dear, I'd rather not keep looking. It isn't good for my health!”

“Well, do you want the culprit to do this again?! I bet you don't!”

“Of course I don't, darling.”

“But if you go to sleep, it will happen again! But...if you stay up and try to catch the culprit, you can stop it!”

“Yes, I suppose so...”

“Glad you agree! We attack at dusk!”

Pinkie then dashed out of the house before Rarity could object. The white Unicorn stared at the floor blankly. “...I suppose she is right...” she muttered, “I can't be idle while that ruffian tries to destroy everything everypony holds dear! Yes, I shall lie in wait!” she then levitated a baseball bat that had been hidden in a closet, “For the sake of my shop, and for the sake of Ponyville!”

Brief silence, as she tried to figure out something else to say.

“Once I finish with this mess!”

She then looked at the ruined dresses and materials, suddenly losing a good portion of her resolve. “…This is going to take forever…” she whined, setting the bat down, “…But I can’t leave it in this horrid state…” Sighing, she began putting anything that was still usable away, and throwing away anything that was ruined beyond redemption.