• Published 28th Oct 2017
  • 731 Views, 8 Comments

Discord's Haunted Castle - Thestralicorn



Discord turns Twilight's castle into a haunted house for Nightmare Night!

  • ...
0
 8
 731

Chapter 5: Flapping For Apples

"Don't you think that was a bit extreme, making the Sombra-smoke jump in Rarity's face?"

"I thought of making it say 'Boo!' but that would've been over the top."

Fluttershy sighed. "I'll just never get used to being scared or seeing other ponies scared."

Discord rolled his eyes, "How you've ever survived without excitement in your life is beyond me. Now let's see how Rainbow Dash and Applejack handle their little challenge. I think you'll especially love this one!"

Rainbow Dash and Applejack were both shaking as they approached the door to the map room. One of the doors they'd opened had released a swarm of bats, and another a set of gnarly branches that had tried to grab them.

"S-so, I t-think it's your turn to open this one, Rainbow." Applejack gestured towards the door.

"Nnnooo, this is the b-big one, I'll let y-you open it," Rainbow Dash stepped back with a insincere grin.

"Oh no, the honor is all yours!"

"You open it, I insist!"

"No, you open it!"

"YOU open it!"

Applejack sighed. "Fine, we'll do it together." They both slowly pushed the doors open.

As they walked into the chamber, they carefully looked around. Nothing seemed amiss; there was only the Cutie Map and the thrones surrounding it.

"And you were scared." Applejack smirked.

"I was not-wait, do you hear that rustling sound?"

They both looked up, and saw a flock of winged apples flapping near the ceiling.

"What in tarnation..."

SLAM! Both ponies jumped a foot in the air as the double doors behind them suddenly closed.

"Welcome to the flapping for apples challenge! I'm going to make an exception to the no-flying rule, since you will have to catch and bite each apple in order to leave this chamber. Good luck!"

There was a flash, and Rainbow Dash exclaimed "Hey, I've got my wings back-wait a minute..."

She and Applejack looked at their own backs, then at each other. They'd each been given bat-like wings, and fangs to boot.

"We're pony-vampire fruit bats!" Applejack cried.

"Cool!" Rainbow Dash jumped into the air. "Wish Fluttershy was here to see this! Bet I can catch more apples than you!"

"Oh you're on!" Applejack jumped into the air as well, pumping her new wings. She hovered in mid-air for a moment, then rose higher.

"Look out," Rainbow Dash called, "you're about to hit the" <THUD> "ceiling."

Applejack drifted down with a dazed expression. Still managing to hold herself aloft, she took off her witch's hat and straightened it.

"Guess this flyin' thing ain't as easy as it looks."

"Better hurry up, I'm ahead by three!" Rainbow Dash was zipping from apple to apple, grabbing each one in her hooves and biting it with her new fangs. Soon Applejack joined her. Once she became more confident in her flying, she began catching her share of apples.

"Only..." Rainbow Dash paused as she swatted an apple with her tail into her hooves. "...six more to go. This is a cinch!"

"Uh Rainbow," Applejack pointed down. "I think you spoke soon."

A blue mist was materializing over the Cutie Map. It grew bigger and bigger, until it parted to reveal a familiar black alicorn with green cat-like eyes looking up at them.

"You gotta be kidding me," groaned Applejack.

Nightmare Moon launched into the air towards them. The two ponies bashed into each other trying to get out of the way.

"Watch it!" yelled Rainbow Dash.

"You watch it!" retorted Applejack as she veered away.

Nightmare Moon chased Rainbow Dash around the room. Applejack tried to pounce on Nightmare Moon from behind, but missed. Rainbow put on an extra burst of speed and slammed into the wall hoof first. She rebounded off to the opposite wall, then from there to the floor. She then looked up to see their former foe chasing Applejack, who wasn't nearly as fast as Rainbow Dash.

"Over here, Blacky!" Rainbow took to the air again. Nightmare Moon turned and began to chase Rainbow Dash, who led her in a circle around the room. As Rainbow passed Applejack she called out, "You finish with the apples to open the door, while I keep her busy!" Applejack complied, catching and biting the remaining apples as fast as she could. Rainbow Dash did her best to keep Nightmare Moon's attention, but Applejack still had to dodge them both occasionally.

Soon there was one apple left. Rainbow Dash went for it, grabbing it out of the air in her mouth. She spat it out, flew to the double doors, and looked back. Nightmare Moon vanished in a puff of blue smoke, and Applejack flew down to the ground.

"Oooo-eeee, that was thrillin'!" said Applejack as she landed. There was another flash, and the ponies lost their wings and fangs. "Shucks, just when I was gettin' used to 'em."

Rainbow Dash pulled open the door as she asked, "How many apples did you get?"

"Uh," Applejack looked sheepish as they both stepped out into the hall, "lost count."

"Well I got fifteen apples," Rainbow Dash beamed proudly. "and since I kept count, that means I win!"

"Does not," Applejack argued as they walked.

"Does so!"

"Does not!"

"Does so!"