• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 499 Views, 2 Comments

Crystal Amiss - TassieDevil



This is Crystals story of how she overcame heartache and grief

  • ...
 2
 499

This can't be happening

It was a beautiful spring morning there was not one cloud in the light blue sky, a warm breeze ruffled through the leaves which made a strange yet pleasant tingling sound it also spread the sweet perfume of flowers that covered the city, the birds were singing in the trees, Celestia’s sun burned proudly in the sky shedding light on the world below. Unfortunately one little pony did not have the chance to stop and smell the flowers.

While I tore through the streets of Canterlot passing a school with a bunch of little fillies captivated by the chase and shops which sold a variety of things from hats to purified mineral water, with who knows how many guards tailing behind me. I tried to reason with the guard ponies that I wasn’t a thief but they were all either complete idiots or didn’t know that thieves generally possessed something from the pony they were trying to steal from and would have at least made an attempt to be unseen and since I did not fit either of these requirements they had to be idiots.

I turned a corner “PERFECT” I thought for standing there were a large crowd of ponies just milling around chattering about this and that. They gave off an almost mindless cattle feel just going wherever the grass grew or in their case fashion. I ran straight through the middle of the crowd not even bothering to pay attention to the gasps of surprise, shock and countless insults. I looked back and satisfyingly saw that the herd of so called fashionista’s reverted to its original shape keeping me hidden from the guards whose booming voice could be overheard the mindless chatter coming from civilians

“Excuse me sir”

“Please pardon my manners”

“No no after you madam” I had to stifle a giggle as I listened to the guards trying to get through (and rather unsuccessfully) the herd. After deciding that I had more pressing matters then a few well a lot of idiotic ponies, I started to trot home knowing that I was safe from those “dastardly fiends” I laughed at my own joke which brought me quite a lot of strange looks from ponies all around and in return I stuck my tongue out at them which created a universal look of disgust someponies even screamed I just laughed at them.

I felt free as I walked away from them as if all the darkness had ceased to exist I mean yes I still felt pain whenever I thought of mother but whenever I thought of Luna all those feelings all but evaporated it may not be the most healthy way to get rid of pain but it was the only thing that helped. I turned a corner and realized I was only a few blocks from home I picked up the pace I was so excited to see dad it was as if I hadn’t seen him in months which if you think about it was kind of true I mean the real him the one that glowed life and breathed kindness. He never used to drink when mum was around but I guess it’s pretty understandable why he turned to alcohol but he was still kind and gentle to me but he didn’t glow anymore he merely flickered.

I was walking past the bakery and I smelt chocolate and sugary goodness, what the hell I thought I may as well pop in and say hello. Maybe I can get some of those chocolate éclairs for dad that he loved so much, I wondered as I walked inside the small bakery and a small bell tinkled as I entered. “Oh hello Crystal I haven’t seen you for a while” exclaimed the plump yet sweet baker
“Hey Vanilla Bliss I guess I’ve been kind of.... well preoccupied” I tried to say it without breaking my voice I don’t think I did a very good job when she said “I know sweetie hey how about a free batch of those éclairs your father loves so much”

“Can I have it to go?” I asked “I need to be home soon”


“of course you can sweetie I’ll be just a few minutes” she walked to the back to get the éclairs ready. I sat at a table and stared out the window and I remembered the last time I had been in here, I was picking up some cakes for a picnic to Canterlot gardens, I had recalled that day easily, it was the day we saw the phoenix perched on a tree in all its regal majesty my mind went back to that magical day.



“Come on mum we have to go soon” I whined to my mum she always did this whenever we were about to go she suddenly remembered she had to get something or redo her mane like she was now “tell you what while I’m doing this you can go with your father to the bakery and help him carry or those scrumptious treats where taking” she poked me gently in the stomach at the last part which made me break out in giggles “okay mum” I said in between gasps “I’ll go right now”.

I ran out of the house and down the street and saw that dad was just entering the bakery I galloped so I could catch up to him “DAD” I shouted, I was strangely excited for some reason and in my excitement I forgot that not only was he hard of hearing but also the clear, glass door had been shut. By the time I noticed it was too late I tried to stop but my momentum kept me going until BAM my nose gushed blood spraying the door that was remarkably unaffected by the collision.

“CRYSTAL!” My father was screamed he always overreacts with these things even though I felt completely fine apart from the ache in my head, the ringing in my ears, my nose was making a river of blood and I had a lump on my head the size of a bee’s nest okay maybe he’s allowed to overreact a little.

I whimpered pathetically when he burst out of the door and then slipped in the pool of blood that was still gushing out of my nose. The scene could almost be comical if we weren’t screaming in pain “MUM!” “WILLOW” we both screamed simultaneously. Mum burst out of the house, magic enveloped her horn and then she picked us both up and as gently as she could put us down at her feet she then looked over our bodies. Magic sparked at the tip of her horn and enveloped me once again but instead of lifting me she stemmed the blood coming out of my nose and fixing some crack deep inside, than she created a cooling sensation all over my thumping head which practically eradicated all the pain, all that was left was a slight dull thud that was easy to shrug off. I stood up as my mum turned to dad and when I looked I gasped at the sight of his leg which was bent in a very irregular fashion which told me it was fractured maybe even broken. But mother being the gifted healer she was kept a calm face and once again magic sprouted from her horn covering dad’s body head to hoof and slowly but surely his leg went back to its proper shape and the cuts all over his body which he somehow acquired when he fell on the hard asphalt vanished from sight.

This wasn’t the first time I saw her heal somepony but it was the first time she healed me, it made me feel safe and warm. After about an hour or so dad was up and walking “So can we go now” I asked

“I don’t know your father is pretty weak” mum said pretty much crushing all hope I had of going

“Don’t worry about me I’ll be fine a picnic in the gardens will be fun” dad said optimistically

“Okay fine we’ll go I guess the exercise would do you well” she admitted

“YAY YAY YAY!” ponies might say I was too excited and I was acting like a like a little filly but I would just stick my tongue out at them which probably proves their point.”Come on we have to go now” I started whining again the events before completely forgotten.

“Okay let’s go” dad said as he started to walk across the street he turned around and flashed us goofy grin “are you coming?”

“Wait aren’t we gonna get the cakes from the bakery?” I asked

Mum and dad both shared a glance “Uhhhh maybe we should leave vanilla alone for a while we’ll go get food somewhere else”

“Okay” I said. We continued to walk in silence we passed by a few shops and a school but nothing really exciting happened until we got there.

We walked around the castle to reach the gardens beyond. We walked past many ponies who were all dressed in ridiculous clothing they wore hats the size of blimps and platform shoes that looked like bricks and probably weighed as much. Dad and I had to stifle snickers when we passed a pony who had actually dyed her fur a sickly yellow and you could tell it was dyed cause the roots were growing back in which were a light green so she actually looked like a pile of sick. Mother composed herself much better than us and gave us scolding looks every chance she got but even she had to smile when we passed a pair of ponies who had their noses so high you actually see their nose hair and their heads were held so high up the woman’s wig fell right off revealing a very embarrassed and very bold mare who quickly ran away with a look of horror on her face. Me and dad started cracking up there and then “did you see her face!” I screeched with tears streaming down my face

“I know!” dad cried than burst into even more laughter rendering him unable to speak

“Come on we have to go you’re causing a scene” mum was right our laughter brought the critical stares of many ponies she tried to push us away and go back outside we didn’t budge a single itch we actually started to roll on the floor. With a huff mum lifted us both up with her magic and ignoring the stares she continued on her way to the gardens.

We were still giggling a bit when we both dropped to the ground with a thud “Where here” mum gasped she had obviously exerted herself far more than necessary but it was pretty much all our fault so we couldn’t really tell her she shouldn’t have while we’ve been laughing all the way here. I took in our surroundings we were in a little grove surrounded by tree’s, with rare flowers scattered on the ground and the grass was extremely soft and was better than any rug or blanket. The perfect place to have a picnic I sighed happily and lay across the ground giving a sound of content “well than come on” dad said excitedly

“What?” I had no idea what he was talking about

“We have to find some food otherwise what’s the point”

“Can’t we just lay here it’s so peaceful”

“You can if you want but I’m going I’m starving”

Mum had just cuddled up to me making the idea of staying much more appealing “you can go dear we’ll still be here” Mum said tiredly

“Okay I’ll go look for food you can stay here with Crystal” He started to walk forwards to the trees “I’ll be back soon!” he shouted and with that he disappeared in the tree’s I rested on my mum’s head and pretty soon in our own little world I fell asleep.

“Crystal wake up” mum whispered nudging my head with her muzzle

“Hmmmm wha what is it, is it dad?” I was kinda annoyed that she woke me up

“No look up there” she pointed up to a tree where on the branch was the most magnificent of creatures every part of it looked as if it burned like fire unit was beautiful, awesome and mysterious its eyes hid secrets centauries years old and its very being looked regal and magical as if it was some sort of spawn of the sun itself I must of made some noise or something for it stared straight at, me I wasn’t entirely sure if I should be scared or not. It squawked then flew right in front of me and plucked one of its glorious feathers and dropped it right on my muzzle I expected to get burned or hurt but all I felt was a pleasant warm sensation and I knew then and there everything would turn out fine.



I guess I fell asleep after that cause the next thing I remember is waking up in the middle of the night with the phoenix feather in my mane. I’ve still got it somewhere hidden in my room kept away from prying eyes including mine I love to see it but then I hate it, brings to many memories and feelings which are much easier to just leave alone.

“Here you go darling” Vanilla came towards me holding a bag of sweet delicious treats that were sure to please dad. “Will that be all you want today?”

“Yes thanks Vanilla how much do I owe you?”

“Don’t worry about that this one’s on the house”

“Oh thanks Vanilla” I started towards the door

“Don’t worry about it tell your father I said hi”

“Will do bye Vanilla”

“Bye Crystal have a good day”

I walked briskly to the front door and saw that all the lights were off through the windows, odd I fastened to a trot and pushed the door open with far too much force than necessary. “DAD!” I shouted the only answer I could hear was silence “DAD WHERE ARE YOU” I was starting to panic where could he be. “DAD” I was screaming now I burst into every room of the house not expecting to find him but I had to make sure I didn’t miss anything before I took my search to the streets. I was about to leave the house when I caught his scent it was weak and already I could tell it was fading quickly but if I was quick I might find him.

I followed the scent outside the door and around the street corner I ran through streets and across roads until eventually I noticed it getting stronger and stronger and I was sure I was nearing my destination and I stopped dead right in front of a dark, grimy alleyway.

Ignoring all common sense I ran straight into it not caring about the dangers there very possibly could be “DAD!” I shouted once more I squinted into the dark, menacing depths.

“Crystal?” someone whispered I spun around searching for its creator. Nothing I wondered if I had even heard it or in my desperation I heard it in my head alone.”Crystal” this time it was louder and more pronounced it came from the very end of the alley where I was afraid to go.

“Father is that you?” I walked cautiously towards the end WAM I tripped over something and landed in some weird, warm tar I recognized the smell that wasn’t tar. “Dad” I said shakily, peering at the thing that tripped me I saw a shape that bulged in various places and some fur. His mouth opened and he was trying to say something. I edged up to him scared to see what I already knew to accept it as real. But I did and I peered into his eye’s and saw pain from the wounds he had somehow obtained, Love for the pony who was staring into his eyes and grief at the thought of his daughter not a filly but not yet a mare completely alone in this world.

“Hoo ...of” He whispered

“What” I said trying to hold back the tears that were brimming in my eyes

“Hoof” he said slightly stronger while he weakly waved his right forehoof

“Oh” I put my two forehooves into his and I felt him hold onto them as well but instead of clenching on to them as hard as he could he instead released something into my hoof and then let go as if that small task drained him of all energy which it probably did. I glanced at what he gave me and I saw one shining, perfect phoenix feather.

“I love you father” I whispered as tears ran down my face

“I love you too” He said and with that he rested one hoof on my cheek his eyes locked on mine and he turned still.

“NO!” I screamed “SOMEONE HELP, HELP PLEASE ANYPONY” I was screaming at the top of my lungs “Please don’t leave me” I cried and I hugged his body close sobs racking my body “please don’t” and everything turned black.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment